Chiang Mai Immigration Office

Mapguy

All true, but if the TM card gets lost in the mail or at Immigration, it seems like it could be a serious problem.

Best to use EMS. Remember reading some mention that if it gets lost then the EMS receipt can correct the problem. Also, I've never had anything lost using EMS within Thailand.

Thanks for the idea Tywais. I would feel much more comfortable using EMS and I would guess that if the TM card were lost, there would be far less serious consequences! :)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All true, but if the TM card gets lost in the mail or at Immigration, it seems like it could be a serious problem.

Hello, UG.

If you are referring to making the 90 day report by mail, the English instructions that were given to me by the Immigration office in Chiang Mai state that a "Copy of arrival/departure card the TM 6 (front and back)" would be part of the submitted paperwork by mail.

MSPain

Yes, so actually, 'roving assistant' is a good idea. They should assign one 24/7 to all farangs who enter cm by air, that would push up tourist figures, get the world media's attention and be incredibly useful to us all.
I heard roving assistants 24/7 are readily available on Loi Kroh and Chang Puak.

Once a year my mother has to go to the Dutch embassey to ask

for proof of life to extend her life retirement benefits .

Not sure about Immigration but a good friend of me who lives in Lampang and is Dutch has to go to an office in Lampang (Social Security or something like that) to get his "Proof of Life " letter signed for his old age pension (AOW). Will see him on saturday (24) and will ask him about it.

Another Dutchie in Chiangmai

Hello, UG.

If you are referring to making the 90 day report by mail, the English instructions that were given to me by the Immigration office in Chiang Mai state that a "Copy of arrival/departure card the TM 6 (front and back)" would be part of the submitted paperwork by mail.

MSPain

Went just yesterday to do it in person. They required a copy of the photograph / personal details page, copy of the extension of visa page and a copy of the front of the TM departure page "the same page in the passport showing the latest arrivals stamp"

I don't think a copy of the back of the TM would be a lot of use to anyone as there is nothing on it :)

Edited by john b good

Hello, UG.

MSPain

Went just yesterday to do it in person. They required a copy of the photograph / personal details page, copy of the extension of visa page and a copy of the front of the TM departure page "the same page in the passport showing the latest arrivals stamp"

I don't think a copy of the back of the TM would be a lot of use to anyone as there is nothing on it :)

That may have been carried over from the past when there were stamps on the backside of the departure card which was stapled into the passport.

If a person is doing it by mail and the instructions say front and back, one extra copy would not hurt.

MSPain

Once a year my mother has to go to the Dutch embassey to ask

for proof of life to extend her life retirement benefits .

Not sure about Immigration but a good friend of me who lives in Lampang and is Dutch has to go to an office in Lampang (Social Security or something like that) to get his "Proof of Life " letter signed for his old age pension (AOW). Will see him on saturday (24) and will ask him about it.

Another Dutchie in Chiangmai

Thanks for that reply , yes I have heard about the new requirement at the SSO , but I didn't know you could do

the ' proof of life letter ' there too . Have never been there but its a new requirement for all who got A.O.W. to let them

sign everything , actually better cause mommy always went to Bangkok to do this ....thanks for info perhaps saves her a long trip ... :)

Renewed my yearly extention Thai Spouse today (22nd)requirements were

YOUR WIFE

Two copies

Application form with passport type photo

Passport photo page,visa page,last entry to kingdom page with TM card,last years visa page

Marriage Certificate

Bank book every page plus letter from bank.(Or proof of pension)

Tabien Bahn (Yellow Book) if you have one.

Tabien Bahn wife's

Wifes ID card

Photograph of both of you together.

Map to your house.

All copies signed by both of you

1900 baht

Got my number at 1310,called in at 1340

Docs checked asked the wife a few questions about her business.

Into the back room picked up passport with new visa

Left Immigration 1420. :)

Wish I'd been at the same time as you, Majorus.

Arrived at TM at 8.15 this morning, ticket no. 17 in the 'spouse visa, etc' queue. Numbers were being called VERY infrequently, apart from two 'bursts' - one mid-morning, then again about 1.30 pm. Almost all the numbers called did not result in anyone coming forward to claim the numbers. Finished 2.00 pm.

A shame that the two new requirements (photo of both of us and the map) were not mentioned two weeks ago when I asked (on a 90-day report visit) if there were any changes from last year's requirements.

A long day, but no major problems - they can take the family photo in the office garden for 50 baht. :-)

CMMCB

The photos and map have always been a requirement but CM immigration just haven't asked for them in the past. Best just to be prepared with this stuff anyway despite what anyone says.

I was there last week at 8:00 on the dot and had number 5. Out by 10ish. It's not a nice feeling hanging around there all day. Generally one number takes about 10 mins when going for O (wifey ext) if all desks are online, so you could gauge that and disappear for a bit if you have a highish number.

I was at the CMI the other day with my ticket in my sweaty hand waiting patiently for my number to be called. A loud 50 ish American (what a shock) biker type ( harley t shirt) was arguing with 2 senior Im. officers, they spent 30 minutes explaining what he he needed to do, never once did they raise their voices or appeared to get angry, even when the man in question got very loud quite obnoxious and acted like a complete fool. I was very impressed with the officers patients and professionalsm. So two thumbs up for CMI. :)

I arrived for a Retirement Visa extension last Thursday during the lunch hour at 12.15. The ticket machine was off, and when it was switched on at 1.00 I was informed that the queue was full.

I returned yesterday at 7.45, the waiting room was open and there were about 10 people waiting. They issue 40 tickets per day for a retirement extension. 401-420 for the morning session and 421-440 for the afternoon session. The machine was switched on at 8.00 and there were about 20 people waiting. I got ticket 404.

By the time the office opened at 8.30 the waiting room was full and people were standing. I was called in at 8.50. 5 minutes to process the papers and a further 5 minute wait in the back room for the visa to be signed and I was out of there at 9.00.

At the moment the message is to get there early.

I went back to a married extension after 7 years on a visa based on work. I had read about the map and pictures and all. Chiang Mai immigration processed my extension. Never ask for map or pictures. The one thing they have never ask for in the past was proof of income even though I had the US Consulate income letter. They did take copies of my bank book with 400,000 baht in it, but extension was based on military retirement and two SS payments per month.

Be prepared with proof of income in case they ask. It may save you some time.

I went back to a married extension after 7 years on a visa based on work. I had read about the map and pictures and all. Chiang Mai immigration processed my extension. Never ask for map or pictures. The one thing they have never ask for in the past was proof of income even though I had the US Consulate income letter. They did take copies of my bank book with 400,000 baht in it, but extension was based on military retirement and two SS payments per month.

Be prepared with proof of income in case they ask. It may save you some time.

well, it seems from reading and my personal experience, that different documents might be requested and different wait times can be experienced depending on officer, day of the week, color worn on clothing and lottery numbers that week, just to mention a few of the variables....

we all know what the "official" TM-7 says for the visa requirements... but mileage varies, obviously...

Edited by zippydedodah

I was at the CMI the other day with my ticket in my sweaty hand waiting patiently for my number to be called. A loud 50 ish American (what a shock)

Over many years, I have seen idiots of every nationality making fools out of themselves at immigration - most of us have. There is no need to join their ranks by broadcasting your petty bigotry on the internet by insulting a whole nation of people - most of who you have never met.

Edited by Ulysses G.

At the moment the message is to get there early.

Ditto, I arrived at 8.30 to do my one-year visa-extension based on retirement, was called-up at 10.00 and out at 10.45. But at least an 8.30-arrival got a morning-slot in the queue. :D

One comment on the new queuing-machine, you select your option by tapping on the touch-sensitive screen, and not by trying to press the non-existent button to the left of each option ! :)

I have been going to the immigration office in C/May for many years and I would not describe those people as being obnoxious, to be obnoxious is indicative of being very unpleasant, offensive, objectionable, insulting, wishing to cause harm, etc ...

Yes, some people show nervous conduct, are confused, don't understand the procedures, don't know which forms to fill in, which documents to copy, afraid their request might not be granted, don't like the long waiting, etc, and the longer they have to wait in the queue they more nervous and stressful they get, as a result they can be a bit of a nuisance.

However, Immigration staff understand that perfectly well, they have been trained to deal with this in a respectable and polite manner, and that is what they do, but as in every walk of life there are limits and should applicants at the immigration office behave in a obnoxious manner as outlined above, then the office staff would consult their office superior who would then deal with this by having the applicant removed from the premises, or even arrested for insulting a police officer.

Thus to refer to those people as being obnoxious is well over the top, and to say that you are amazed at the tolerance shown by the immigration office staff seems to indicate that you basically expected them to be dictatorial and harsh, well they are not, so do not be amazed anymore when you see immigration staff show tolerance when dealing with foreigners under stress in a respectful and polite manner.

I was at the CMI the other day with my ticket in my sweaty hand waiting patiently for my number to be called. A loud 50 ish American (what a shock)

Over many years, I have seen idiots of every nationality making fools out of themselves at immigration - most of us have. There is no need to join their ranks by broadcasting your petty bigotry on the internet by insulting a whole nation of people - most of who you have never met.

In this particular instance it was an American I was exposed to for thirty minutes, I was sharing my experience not my petty bigotry, I am an American. :)

I have been going to the immigration office in C/May for many years and I would not describe those people as being obnoxious, to be obnoxious is indicative of being very unpleasant, offensive, objectionable, insulting, wishing to cause harm, etc ...

Yes, some people show nervous conduct, are confused, don't understand the procedures, don't know which forms to fill in, which documents to copy, afraid their request might not be granted, don't like the long waiting, etc, and the longer they have to wait in the queue they more nervous and stressful they get, as a result they can be a bit of a nuisance.

However, Immigration staff understand that perfectly well, they have been trained to deal with this in a respectable and polite manner, and that is what they do, but as in every walk of life there are limits and should applicants at the immigration office behave in a obnoxious manner as outlined above, then the office staff would consult their office superior who would then deal with this by having the applicant removed from the premises, or even arrested for insulting a police officer.

Thus to refer to those people as being obnoxious is well over the top, and to say that you are amazed at the tolerance shown by the immigration office staff seems to indicate that you basically expected them to be dictatorial and harsh, well they are not, so do not be amazed anymore when you see immigration staff show tolerance when dealing with foreigners under stress in a respectful and polite manner.

Impressed not amazed.

• 2 weeks later...

Officers from immigration came out to our home yesterday to check up on us - i am applying for extension based on marriage to a thai. FIVE of them showed up - kinda interesting. Neighbors were not home to provide reference, but when the saw the cute sister-in-law, 3 of the took her aside to get her testimony.... and tried to get her phone number too! Straight out asked "do you have boy friend"? hahahahaha...

anyways, silly me, i thought since they had been here, i could go down for my approval (even though stamp in passport say to return on 16th november. Got to office, turned in passport and in about ten minutes my number was called and i was politely informed to return on the date indicated.... no way around it... only on that date could i get my approval (or not).

Interestingly, the head guy who came out, made a big point (he spoke english) of informing me that ONLY cuz i was married to thai could i possibly get this extension and IF we ever bought land, i could not... blah blah blah... definitely going for making the big impression, above and beyond simply informing me of the "facts". I got it... i finally told him.

anyways... he gave us a paper for house owner to sign, that she has to file with immigration cuz a falang lives in her home and they had looked it up and she had not "registered" me. So owner met with us at immigration and she filed papers today. Then she informed us that now that I am on record, the tax people will probably visit us and ask how much she is getting for rent! hahahahaa... so now the owner needs us to help her out with the tax folks... never mind that the rent is deposited right into her bank acct from ours, monthly. She thinks if we tell them less than it actually is, then she won't pay taxes or something. I am staying out of that and won't sign anything... all questions get referred to owner...

No problem at CM today polite quick service ....except for the farang who parked in the disabled bay blocking the access ramp despite not needing it. Was going to post his number but I won't as people who park in disabled bays and don't need them are mentally disabled anyway.

Edited by harrry

Well, I missed noticing harrrry, but I got my annual retirement extension today, in spite of my mistakes. Sendbaht helped me.

Advice: start early, 2 or 3 weeks early. The embassy/consulate may not have appointments for a week You might leave a paper at home, etc.

Again: Immigration staff very helpful.

Ulysses, he was referring to one person who HAPPENED to be American. No reference that I can see in his post to bigotry or references to a whole nation.

I don't go to Immig every day - like many, just 4 times a year for 90 days, once for extension of stay, and occasionally for an exit visa or proof of address

And yes, like many others, I get embarassed at the discourteous foreigners showing themselves and their countries up by their uncivil behaviour.

It can apply to all nationalities unfortunately but in my limited exprience ( as i say I don't go every day) Americans do seem to be the worst culprits.

I am not knocking Americand or their nation - just an observation. Take it on the chin that some of your compatriots are like that.

How many times do you hear about drunken Americans starting fights in the bars or just walking down the street or ripping off guesthouses and cheating people who rent motorcycles? It is other mationalities that are usually blamed for that.

How many angry Germans or hauty English or Frenchmen have I seen demanding this or that at immigration and not taking no for an answer?

Sorry, but Americans are no better or no worse than the rest.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Good job, UG.

Each person has their own interpretations..... To get a more accurate insight, maybe someone could ask an immigration employee which "brand" of guests is most obnoxious..... IF ANYONE WOULD WANT TO KNOW. Interpretations are usuall formed by environment and influence. Influence, as most people should realize, is not always truth.

As for interpretations, someone posted about going to Immigration to get an "exit" visa... I would guess that is a very distorted interpretation of a "re-entry permit". Maybe thinking of getting out rather than getting back in. I don't see why anyone would need a visa to exit anywhere. Again, this is just to emphasize how interpretations can make a difference.

Now this should liven things up!!

MSPain

How many times do you hear about drunken Americans starting fights in the bars or just walking down the street or ripping off guesthouses and cheating people who rent motorcycles? It is other mationalities that are usually blamed for that.

How many angry Germans or hauty English or Frenchmen have I seen demanding this or that at immigration and not taking no for an answer?

Sorry, but Americans are no better or no worse than the rest.

Officers from immigration came out to our home yesterday to check up on us - i am applying for extension based on marriage to a thai. FIVE of them showed up - kinda interesting. Neighbors were not home to provide reference, but when the saw the cute sister-in-law, 3 of the took her aside to get her testimony.... and tried to get her phone number too! Straight out asked "do you have boy friend"? hahahahaha...

anyways, silly me, i thought since they had been here, i could go down for my approval (even though stamp in passport say to return on 16th november. Got to office, turned in passport and in about ten minutes my number was called and i was politely informed to return on the date indicated.... no way around it... only on that date could i get my approval (or not).

Interestingly, the head guy who came out, made a big point (he spoke english) of informing me that ONLY cuz i was married to thai could i possibly get this extension and IF we ever bought land, i could not... blah blah blah... definitely going for making the big impression, above and beyond simply informing me of the "facts". I got it... i finally told him.

anyways... he gave us a paper for house owner to sign, that she has to file with immigration cuz a falang lives in her home and they had looked it up and she had not "registered" me. So owner met with us at immigration and she filed papers today. Then she informed us that now that I am on record, the tax people will probably visit us and ask how much she is getting for rent! hahahahaa... so now the owner needs us to help her out with the tax folks... never mind that the rent is deposited right into her bank acct from ours, monthly. She thinks if we tell them less than it actually is, then she won't pay taxes or something. I am staying out of that and won't sign anything... all questions get referred to owner...

Was he suggesting that this is part of the land reform due out later this year?

Iain

Edited by iainiain101
Removed font modification of quote - Tywais

As for interpretations, someone posted about going to Immigration to get an "exit" visa... I would guess that is a very distorted interpretation of a "re-entry permit". Maybe thinking of getting out rather than getting back in. I don't see why anyone would need a visa to exit anywhere. Again, this is just to emphasize how interpretations can make a difference.

Now this should liven things up!!

MSPain

Maybe they have worked somewhere like Saudi Arabia where the only way to leave was to have either an exit/re-entry visa or an exit visa. Without either of those stamps in your passport you couldn't leave! If one day you decided that you'd had enough, then buying a ticket and heading for the airport wasn't possible, you had to get your employer to apply for an exit visa first. No exit visa, no exit.

This is just to emphasise how misunderstandings can make a difference.