Chiang Mai Immigration Office

Mapguy

My experience with the new system today was not favorable as other have reported. I got there at 11:30 and did not get out of there until 13:45. I was only there to do a 90 day report and get a Certificate of Residence. When I arrived and went into the new waiting room, there was a sign on the number machine "queue full". An Immigration Officer approached me and informed me that they were "very busy today" and "no more numbers until 13:00 - maybe". He told me to take a seat and that he would let me know when I could have a number. At about 12:50 he motioned for me to come to the front and he gave me a number. They called my number at once and I was finished with the 90-day report in 10 minutes. Then I submitted my application for the Certificate of Residence. The Immigration Officer told me that he had many to do and take a seat. It was not until 13:45 that he called my name. 2 hours and 15 minutes later I was out of there.

I might add that the waiting room was full and it was like a can of sardines in there. (And smelled like one too.) The A/C is much too small for the room and the fans were useless. I don't understand why so many people fail to bathe before going to a place like that. It's really inconsiderate. It was really uncomfortable in there.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My experience with the new system today was not favorable as other have reported. I got there at 11:30 and did not get out of there until 13:45. I was only there to do a 90 day report and get a Certificate of Residence. When I arrived and went into the new waiting room, there was a sign on the number machine "queue full". An Immigration Officer approached me and informed me that they were "very busy today" and "no more numbers until 13:00 - maybe". He told me to take a seat and that he would let me know when I could have a number. At about 12:50 he motioned for me to come to the front and he gave me a number. They called my number at once and I was finished with the 90-day report in 10 minutes. Then I submitted my application for the Certificate of Residence. The Immigration Officer told me that he had many to do and take a seat. It was not until 13:45 that he called my name. 2 hours and 15 minutes later I was out of there.

I might add that the waiting room was full and it was like a can of sardines in there. (And smelled like one too.) The A/C is much too small for the room and the fans were useless. I don't understand why so many people fail to bathe before going to a place like that. It's really inconsiderate. It was really uncomfortable in there.

Simply down to timing then really is it not. Arriving 11.30 with a lunch break? coming up 12-1 is not really the best time.

I take it this queue system is set up like that of a bank - ie, a line for standard extensions, one for yearly extensions, one for reporting, one for general enquiries, etc?

That's correct. Believe there are 8 options? Far bottom right button for changing language. Uses a color touch screen.

Simply down to timing then really is it not. Arriving 11.30 with a lunch break? coming up 12-1 is not really the best time.

I've been there more than 18 times in the last 2 years, always arriving around 11:15-11:30 and have always been out of there in 30 minutes or less. They are open during the lunch hour.

I've been there more than 18 times in the last 2 years, always arriving around 11:15-11:30 and have always been out of there in 30 minutes or less. They are open during the lunch hour.

Open during lunch hour for what? The 90 day report?

Before we get too euphoric...

I have a friend who was there this week Tuesday. He punched a ticket at 10:30 AM. Number 440. They were working Number 404, when he got Number 440. Oh, sh_t.... :) . Yearly retirement extension, only seen at desks 6 & 7.

He got out around 5 PM.

Another friend went day before yesterday, same deal (annual retirement extension)- 3 1/2 hours.

A simple 90 day check-in is very speedy under this new queue ticket system.

However, it seems that there are a tremendous number of people who have their annual retirement extensions right around this time. And there are only 2 desks handling same.

My advice is get there early at opening, and punch the first ticket.

I think CM Imm does a tremendous job; always had good service and friendly and polite treatment.

But they are very busy right now.....

And no, they are closed 12 noon to 1 PM for lunch.

Also with the new queue ticket machine system, there is no going in the back door to see your pal Capt. X. :D

Saw more than a few try this old dodge when I was there 3 weeks ago- they were politely referred to the queue ticket machine. To their chagrin (and the joy of every one of us who had been waiting an hour or more.) :D

My experience today was similar to that which McGriffith reports. My last two retirement extensions (2007 & 2008) took only between an hour and 90 minutes each, including getting a re-entry permit at the same time---I wrote a post on this forum praising their performance. Today I arrived early and it took three hours just for the retirement extension. A re-entry permit comes in a different category on the ticket numbering system, so I was told I had to start from the beginning with a new number for that. By then the ticket machine was closed, so I decided to come back some other day. So my experience was by far the worst I've ever had. Since some people want a multiple re-entry permit at the same time as a new extension (as the old permit dies when you get the extension), separating them out like this is a real step backwards.

I see a post above praising immigration that the 90 day report took only (!) 20 minutes. A year or more ago this was an in and out process never taking more than a few minutes. So again a step backwards.

I don't like griping about Thailand---there are many good things to be said about the country. However in this one area I do think the government is helping to shoot the economy in the foot by making expats feel unwelcome with the 90 day reports, which surely are of no use to anyone---I've never known anyone to check that I'm actually at the address I give.

Wow , thats a new story with the queue system , and as i said earlier I don't like the 'new' waiting room either .

I just wonder cause I make the 90 day report for myself and my mother the same time .

Do I need 2 tickets for that now , or can I do them on the same queue number ?

Always just dropped them both in the basket for years actually and 2 minutes set and go , couple of weeks ago full

with people doing the 90 day thing , my guess is they were all runners first and go the extension route now ....

Think they need a bigger office ..

Great office, better than ever. New queue system got me instant 90-day reporting service, stamped whilst I stood there, instead of setting amongst the whingers (how's that for British English :) ). Watch the steps inside the building (mind the gap).

I am a little mystified on how walling in the area at Immigration has improved it.The ticketing system certainly has. At 3.15pm today it was quite busy and there were only a couple of seats available and the air con was struggling to keep the place cool and that was during heavy rain. As I lined up to get a ticket for 90 day reporting 2 young ladies in front of me were told to come back the next day as not only was the ticketing system full they couldn't be processed that day. I was fortunate to be out in 10 minutes but judging by some of the faces around me they had been there a long time.

The whole set up ,in my opinion,is woefully inadequate in terms of space and staff. I asked a young Immigration officer, who was assisting people, his opinion of the new set up. His reply was a diplomatic "the boss likes it " Asked when they would be provided with a new office.His reply was "No Money to do" If we coming out of an economic slow down and with the high season yet to kick in could be interesting times ahead at Immy.

Hubby went today, too, for a one-year extension to his O-A retirement visa.

He tossed and turned all last night and was out at the crack of dawn. Well, actually it was more like 8 am since I pointed out the immigration office didn't open til 8:30 am and he had time to wash the breakfast dishes. Anyway, he arrived at 8:25 am, got his number and was fifth in line for the "window" he needed to visit. He got the one year extension in an hour and then secured another number to get a re-entry permit since he had his new visa number. By that time, a Thai immigration official was stationed by the door, helping people get their numbers and keeping the door closed to preserve the aircon. He got his re-entry permit within about 45 minutes and was out of the place by 10:30 am wondering what to do with the rest of the day.

Hubby said by 10:30 am the place was filling up and looking much less friendly. He says next time he wants to show up promptly at 8 am since they pass out numbers prior to opening. I guess I'll have to do the breakfast dishes that day!

I think the moral is to arrive early. Fewer people and better airconditioning!

I'm truly embarrassed when I hear obnoxious people treating the Thais with disrespect and I know my tolerance would be tested to the limit if I had to deal with them. On more than a few occasions I've butted into their conversations when I think they are treating Thais unfairly.

I agree with what Ian and (later) others are saying here, but I'd like to put this in context. We (as foreigners) cringe when we see foreigners being obnoxious in these situations, as we all consider ourselves ambassadors of our respective countries - and farang culture generally. But the fact is that there is much more of this sort of behaviour at home (farang v farang) than you ever see here.

Unless you have worked in a public service office with public contact - as only a few have - then I don't think most people realise just how very unpleasant some people are when dealing with public servants - and just what they think they are entitled to get away with. So by all means give the Thais a break - but don't forget to give the guys and gals at home a break too if and when you get back there.

PS: I have to report next week so I'll be sure to pass on all your best wishes to the photocopy lady ... and look out for the gap

Pretty much everything tightened up, immigration-wise, during Thaksin's first term in office, esp permanent residency.

Oh, in addition to deciding it's best to come early, very early, Hubby learned you need to bring correct change. His 1-yr extension cost 1900 baht. He had two 1000s and was told they don't make change. However, they happily took his 2000 baht and wrote his receipt for 1900 baht. Wonder who gets to keep all the extra funds when the till is higher than the receipts at the end of the day?

Oh, in addition to deciding it's best to come early, very early, Hubby learned you need to bring correct change.

I noticed a sign there stating correct change only. However, I also saw someone prior to me for a 1 year extension that had a 100 baht note clipped to his receipt when it was handed over to the officer in the back. So would seem they do give change, perhaps discretionary? :)

Regarding getting a queue number before 8:30. No guarantees on that. When I was there a couple of weeks ago I arrived before 8:00AM and they didn't turn the queue machine on until 8:30AM at which point there was a scramble to get in line - not really a line, more of a random mass around it. :D

Oh, in addition to deciding it's best to come early, very early, Hubby learned you need to bring correct change. His 1-yr extension cost 1900 baht. He had two 1000s and was told they don't make change. However, they happily took his 2000 baht and wrote his receipt for 1900 baht. Wonder who gets to keep all the extra funds when the till is higher than the receipts at the end of the day?

I've only had exact change a couple of times. They always give change. Last week when I got my certificate of residence I handed the officer 1000 Baht and he gave me 500 back. I did happen to notice that they don't give receipts anymore.

Oh, in addition to deciding it's best to come early, very early, Hubby learned you need to bring correct change.

Was there also yesterday (14th) and arrived at 8.30 or so. Was number 8 in the queue for a Retirement visa. Paid with the correct change for my retirement visa and got a receipt. After photocopying the page with the new visa I requested the multiple Exit/Re-entry permit. Took all in all about 10 minutes and got a receipt with 200 Baht change stapled to the receipt.

Walked out at 10.15 with my visa and a multiple exit/re-entry permit :) .

The no receipt thing mentioned above...hmmm.

I got a 1 yr retirement extension, and a multi-entry permit a few weeks ago.

Was issued a receipt for both, which I save in a file.

If one ever loses a passport, it is handy to have any corroborating evidence, IMO (along with copies of the actual extension/re-entry permit, of course).

I also saw several packets of paperwork being processed that had the receipt, and a 100 B note stapled on top.

Seems most people pay the 1900 fee with 2000 B.

Was there also yesterday (14th) and arrived at 8.30 or so. Was number 8 in the queue for a Retirement visa. Paid with the correct change for my retirement visa and got a receipt. After photocopying the page with the new visa I requested the multiple Exit/Re-entry permit. Took all in all about 10 minutes and got a receipt with 200 Baht change stapled to the receipt.

Walked out at 10.15 with my visa and a multiple exit/re-entry permit :) .

I wonder if attitude has anything to do with it.

MSPain

It never hurts to have to have a positive attitude and a friendly smile. I have see what negative vibes do at immigration and I always laugh at the idiot farang. :)

I agree with you Lost.... However, in my opinion, more important is a person's attitude towards the people working at Immigration. If a person goes there with the mindset that they are somehow better, smarter, somehow superior to the Thai people...well...I don't think I need to comment further.

MSPain

Being polite and respectful in a foreign country will always get you farther. There was something on the Thai News the other day about foreigners in Thailand. The Japanese were rated number one as the most polite and respectful visitors while Russians were at the bottom of the list.

MSPain

Attitude was not a factor based on my observations in my recent visits to immigration, and the associated waits. One thing about the ticket queueing system is that they don't know who number 4XX is and whether or not their attitude is good until they are called. Furthermore, of all the people I saw being dealt with at the office, none showed signs of a poor attitude that I could see---no raised voices and everyone (on both sides of the counter) seemed quite polite. My attitude is about as good as it gets---I dress smartly, smile and wai all officials I dealt with. The problem is the long wait before you are called because of such issues as the small number of officers working on visa extensions and the increased requirements for the 90 day report etc.

MSPain

Attitude was not a factor based on my observations in my recent visits to immigration, and the associated waits. One thing about the ticket queueing system is that they don't know who number 4XX is and whether or not their attitude is good until they are called. Furthermore, of all the people I saw being dealt with at the office, none showed signs of a poor attitude that I could see---no raised voices and everyone (on both sides of the counter) seemed quite polite. My attitude is about as good as it gets---I dress smartly, smile and wai all officials I dealt with. The problem is the long wait before you are called because of such issues as the small number of officers working on visa extensions and the increased requirements for the 90 day report etc.

I agree that for the most part there is good interaction, Neilrob.... And just take a look at the very first post and the second to last paragraph. I believe this to be true and I have observed this personally at times.

You don't see many complaints from people that have a good experience.

As for the new system, I have not experienced it yet. I will be there next week. And I must say that in the years I have been going to Chiang Mai Immigration office, it has improved dramatically.

MSPain

MSPain

What are these increased requirements for the 90 day report please?