Chiang Mai Immigration Office

Mapguy

I agree. It hasn't been free, when immigration has been doing them, for at least 6 years. Used to be 300baht.

Paid 150 baht in 2548 (4 years ago) and got another copy for the two licenses for that. Agree it's so much easier than messing with costly embassies, consulates, although to have it something like 50 baht wouldn't hurt.

Does anyone know how the CM immigration office determines the 3 month funds must be in a bank account to satisfy the retirement or marriage extension one year visa?

In other words, do they use 30 days to count a month so you would need 400,000 baht for the marriage visa to be in a bank account for 90 days or is there some other way they determine this?

Well they stipulate 3 months as opposed to 90 days so I'd go for that. Use calendar months + couple weeks just to make sure, or if you've been renewing for 5 consecutive years it's 2 months (according to the bird last week).

The whole system is obviously there to prove to a certain degree that you have the means, as opposed to borrowing dosh for a week and removing it all again after application.

The 2 months after 5 years rule is interesting? Anyone confirm that?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a retirement visa extension today,sheesh that place is getting busy,in at 13:15 out at 15:30.

Was all good,as ever the staff are courteous and profesional.

Was getting tiresome,my third visit in 3 days,first went on Monday after lunch,tickets full booked up for the day.Come back Tuesday at 13:00...

got ticket 442 (first ticket in the arvo session),called in at 15:45,much to my dismay my embassy forgot to stamp a document that I had to go to Bkk 2 weeks ago for.

Luckily I got the embassy stamp from the local Honary Consul today and was processed by the same guy I saw yesterday.

Certainly see some unusual sights there though,sitting in the lounge for 5 hours,the young guy with 3 kids,wife thai yai and the thai kids with blonde/black hair,and they both appeared to be about 25 yr old.

Went to Immigration today for the second time in 3 weeks & can only say that things have improved a lot this year. This time I was applying for a re-entry permit, so I arrived at 08:15 with the completed form, the copies of the passport pages as required, a photo and the correct money. Once they had worked out how to switch on the number ticket spitter we all received our tickets and took our seats waiting for the windows to open.

At the appropriate time the windows opened & I sat there with number 001 in eager anticipation of a speedy processing. Well there were about ten people who did not get tickets because they' just had a question' so the lovely young lady at the queue number machine let them stand & block all the windows. So when the staff appeared all these non-ticketed people were allowed to ask their questions. One woman, one of the many who are obviously employed by a 'visa service' went back no less than four times and was attended to immediately. So me as client 001 just had to sit there for over 15 minutes waiting for this chaos to subside.

My number was called, my documents checked, my money taken and I was sent back to my seat. Shortly afterwards I was called back, asked to sign two forms and was given my passport complete with re-entry stamp and a receipt. Total processing time 6 minutes, total elapsed time 22 minutes from the windows being opened.

How can we get the person in charge to create a queue-numbered Information window so that those of us who have followed all the correct procedures are dealt with outside of all the visa service queue jumpers and those who need assistance? I am sure that the Immigration staff would appreciate such an addition to the processing system & the clients will certainly see an even greater improvement in already better service.

Oh by the way, a single sign stuck on the lower half of window 5 stating that the office is CLOSED ON OCT 23. Very good to know, and readable before the window was raised for business, but obscured when it was raised as soon as work began!!

Oh by the way, a single sign stuck on the lower half of window 5 stating that the office is CLOSED ON OCT 23. Very good to know, and readable before the window was raised for business, but obscured when it was raised as soon as work began!!

Chulalongkorn Day.