Chiang Mai Immigration Office

Mapguy

First, my apologies about starting a new thread on --- except that a lot seems to get lost over time, and that time passes. There have been changes at the Immigration Office in Chiang Mai. And while I have complimented the office about service before, service is getting better. Quite simply, I have never had a problem at the Chiang Mai office. That experience was verified today.

I had a minor piece of business to do. It actually took about an hour, but only because it required time to provide the needful, which needs to be hand-prepared. Would have been less time required, but the place was absolutely packed. My bad timing. I knew better, but went anyway. It was a Friday afternoon.

I had a quick question about cost for the procedure. It did not happen to be posted on the displays. It was answered by a young fellow who was fielding any and all questions in front of the service windows. Previously, such questions have always been answered rapidly at a window, but the "roving assistant" is an efficient and thoughtful improvement.

The service windows are well-marked. The office is going through an awkward stage of using a queued electronic notification system, but it seems to basically work.

Except for tourists in a rush, information is readily available on the internet about requirements for this and that (That would include most TV Chiang Mai posters and readers, I suppose), so if you go well-prepared (do not depend on TV Chiang Mai although some people are quite helpful) you'' do fine. Immigration does have a telephone number! Always has had. In any case, people there have always been helpful.

This visit, unlike previous visits, I actually had time to sit in the place and just look and listen. I must admit that I also picked up a copy of The Sun (a London tabloid of the most infantile sort) to read. It was available from a multilingual news media reading rack made available by the Immigration Office. Since the front page was devoted to the story of some high-priced English prostitute "telling all," it didn't take long to read, but the pictures were nice.

I must say that the newspapers in the rack were rather more sophisticated! Anyway, when in doubt about how long you might wait, take your own magazine.

The real point is that reading material is provided, and there are two cafes plus a very knowledgeable photocopy and portrait service. This is the only "bureaucratic" place I have ever seen such service!

But, aside from ogling the newspaper photos, what I did overhear in the time I waited was disturbing. Such obnoxious people from other countries. This is not an unusual scene if you visit the Chiang Mai Immigration over time! Today, two of them. Never mind their nationalities, which were clearly different. Their LOUD and argumentative English gave them away.

My rambling leads to this point. I think that people have little appreciation for the patience and efficiency of the immigration office in Chiang Mai and the efforts that have consistently been made to improve its service. I continue to be simply amazed at the tolerance of the staff toward the obnoxious people who show up there!

Over to you..........

Edited by Mapguy

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm truly embarrassed when I hear obnoxious people treating the Thais with disrespect and I know my tolerance would be tested to the limit if I had to deal with them. On more than a few occasions I've butted into their conversations when I think they are treating Thais unfairly. Most often it is the obnoxious people who have caused their OWN problems by not following the regulations in the first place. People over stay their visa and then expect everyone else to jump through hoops to help them. I've seen it happen all over the country and it frankly annoys me if they are taking up the officials time and I have to wait.

I was there Monday to get my annual visa extension based on work and the first time since the new walls and queuing system was implemented. I arrived early and met up with the university assistant who assists another university staff member with their paperwork. After they turned the queue machine on, she got in the queue for the queue ticket :) for both of us. Place was shortly packed. Unfortunately she punched the wrong queue button and though our number came up quickly we had to start over.

Still, the queues were being handled pretty quickly and probably was there about 1 hour with less then 15 minutes of that with the immigration officers doing the paperwork. Very orderly and efficient, but I've found it to be that way for the nearly 16 years I've been going there. Oh, and they turned the air on as soon as they were open for business.

Unusual in that there were probably no more then a couple of words spoken through the whole process. No questions, just busy checking and stamping the forms. Usually I get a pretty talkative lady officer which in some ways I prefer as it takes the edge off. :D

If your paperwork is in order it is a breeze going through. Even if it isn't, like mine last year where the uni forgot one document, they still work with you to get it straightened out.

P.S. The copy girl still looks good. :D

//edit - even though it was full house it was pretty quiet and well behaved in terms of the "customers'. Had a brief polite chat with someone sitting next to me and found others giving assistance to those who were confused about the new system. A few years ago did see one of the obnoxious types and felt sorry for the girl at the window dealing with him.

Went on Tuesday to get a residency certificate prior to getting a Thai drivers license. As others reported, the waiting area is clean, stocked with good English-language reading material, the staff very helpful and the place was blessedly chilled. I think the new enclosure is wonderful, especially the air con.

The copy lady in the shop behind the office was her ever-helpful self. I just pointed to the posting of copies need for the various forms and she zipped out my copies without a word being spoken. I even had correct change for the copy charge!

Within 45 minutes of arrival I was 500 baht poorer (charge for residency certificate) and had my certificate. It was lunch time, so I decided to eat in the restaurant that's part of the copy shop before tackling the drivers license office. The khaw phat gai was good, ample and cheap. And the water was free!

The driver's license office was rather nice, too. The biggest hurdle was in getting the tuk-tuk driver to understand where I wanted to go. He seemed to know the general area, but expected me to know which building in the rather large complex. Finally he stopped a guy on a motorcycle and had me ask him in my Thai (which I speak with a flawless American accent, rendering me unintelligible to the average Thai) But I just had to utter "bia khap khii" and he looked at the tuk-tuk driver like he nuts not to know where you go to get a drivers license.

Anyway, I got my drivers license in less than 45 minutes. The staff there was very helpful, too. So much better than similar interactions with government offices in my home country.

The roving assistant idea is a good idea. I have never had problems at Chiangmai immigration and they are clearly trying to make the already efficient system more and more customer friendly.

And I agree with Ian about being embarassed of other expats and the way they treat Thais. When I was there there was one guy continually jumping up and down asking when his queue number would be called. The staff dealt with it politely each time. They must have the patience of Job. He could see the queue indicator so he had no reason. Another guy and I tried to calm him down with some success only.

I agree with most of what Mapguy and the others had to say, and I do think that Chiang Mai Immigration do a good job in general, but I also feel I have to get a whinge in about the changes in the 90 day reporting system. It used to be in another building and it was quick and easy.

I have to admit that I resent doing it - we have a year visa already, why make it more complicated - but at least I could get a ride there, do it quickly and get a ride back.

They have moved it over to the regular office and it seems to get more and more difficult and the office is usually crowded. You have to make a bunch of copies now besides filling out the form and then you leave it in a basket that is picked up every once in a while and they eventually stamp the paper in your passport and you can finally be on your way.

The last time that I did it, several weeks ago, it took 45 minutes for them to remove something like 15 passports from the basket and then took more time to process them one by one. I was there over one hour for something that used to take 10 minutes.

I feel guilty having someone wait an hour, so I end up just sending them home and trying to find a songteaw. Can't something be done to make 90 day reporting fast and easy again - or better yet, scap it like before!

Edited by Ulysses G.

I agree with Mapguy and the others. C.M. Immigration has to be the most pleasant government office in the world. I've never waited more than 30 minutes to get my business done there and the staff are always friendly and easy to deal with. If you have your paperwork in order you just breeze through.

I too get embarrassed when I hear obnoxious foreigners being argumentative, disrespectful, and giving the staff a difficult time. I think (but may be wrong) that Mapguy took a swipe at Americans as being loud and obnoxious. Indeed there are many loud and obnoxious Americans but I have heard many loud, obnoxious and disrespectful Europeans as well. The bottom line is that there is no need to be disrespectful regardless of where you are from. The other thing that continues to astound me is the way that many foreigners dress when they go to government offices in Thailand. The last time I was at C.M. Immigration I saw 2 men wearing tank tops who were covered in tattoos and there was one girl I saw that was barefooted. One guy sitting next to me smelled like he hadn't showered in days.

Indeed the copy girl always looks good. :) I've tried to get her to crack a smile a couple of times but it takes a bit of effort. Never mind, she knows exactly what pages need to be copied usually without telling her, and she handles a long queue very quickly.

Edited by elektrified

I agree with most of what Mapguy and the others had to say, and I do think that Chiang Mai Immigration do a good job in general, but I also feel I have to get a whinge in about the changes in the 90 day reporting system. It used to be in another building and it was quick and easy.

I have to admit that I resent doing it - we have a year visa already, why make it more complicated - but at least I could get a ride there, do it quickly and get a ride back.

They have moved it over to the regular office and it seems to get more and more difficult and the office is usually crowded. You have to make a bunch of copies now besides filling out the form and then you leave it in a basket that is picked up every once in a while and they eventually stamp the paper in your passport and you can finally be on your way.

The last time that I did it, several weeks ago, it took 45 minutes for them to remove something like 15 passports from the basket and then took more time to process them one by one. I was there over one hour for something that used to take 10 minutes.

I feel guilty having someone wait an hour, so I end up just sending them home and trying to find a songteaw. Can't something be done to make 90 day reporting fast and easy again - or better yet, scap it like before!

Took us less than 5 minutes last week with the new ticketing system- very efficient.

Watch the steps inside the building (mind the gap).

Good point. While I was waiting I twice saw someone nearly fall over that gap. Actually my previous post is in error and that it was the 2nd time I had been there. The first time was a couple of days earlier for my 90 day report but it was such a non-event didn't consider it as a true test of the new system. I chose my time, mid afternoon, went inside, found the queue machine and while looking at it one farang and an officer guided me to the correct button before I had a chance to read the display. :D

Before the ticket was even out of the machine my number was called. Went to the window and less then 40 seconds, it was done. So UG, just plan better times. :)

Just a suggestion. My forms, passport pages and TM47, are all in a pdf file already filled out. So all I do is just print out the one document, sign it and I'm set. 20 seconds this way as opposed to using the copy girl or scanning and printing each page every time. I also have a program on the PC called Simple Reminder that alerts me before the 90 days is up.

You know UG, there are some decent used book stores here in CM. Buy yourself a book and enjoy the extra wait time reading. :)

Timing is everything. I always go at about 3.00pm - 3.30pm. I went yesterday and it was so quiet, I thought it was closed. I had already filled in the form (had one at home) and photocopied the passport, so I was in and out in less than 5 minutes. At a rough guess, rounded to the nearest second - 3min 47sec. Definitely under the 4 minute barrier.

Don't tell everyone about this little dodge. :)

<snip> l I have to get a whinge in about the changes in the 90 day reporting system. <snip>

I have to admit that I resent doing it - we have a year visa already, why make it more complicated <snip>

The day they abolish this 90-day reporting requirement is the day I begin feeling at home here. Giving long term residents this feeling isn't just about being hospitable. When people feel at home in a place, they are more comfortable putting down deeper roots with practical steps like bringing in more money, buying more and better things, bigger condos, etc.

Perhaps the authorities have a good reason for this 90-day reporting requirement. I'm curious to know what that is. What kind of abuse, or percieved abuse is this procedure keeping in check? Does anyone know? And could there be a better way to check that abuse without making the majority of law-abiding foreigners feel like they are on permanent probation?

They had it before and got rid of it for quite a few years.

It seemed they were trying to counter resentment of bringing it back by making it so easy and pleasant in the beginning, but it is becoming less and less convenient unless you just get lucky and hit it at the right time or perhaps wait until late afternoon.

I have to admit I agree with this.

It was brought back under Thaksin; I think 2004 or so.

The purpose is to verify the current address of all resident aliens.

Of course, one has the option of doing the entire thing by mail.

But when there are serious penalties (fines) levied for failing to comply, very few want to trust the mail to send in the TM47.

I don't like it. It may only take a few minutes to complete once there at Imm, but it is nonetheless an official mandatory presence at a Government Office.

One has to plan ahead, take time, copy documents, burn gas to go there....for what? To state I still live at the same address I lived at 3 months ago, 6 months ago, 12 months ago, 3 frikkin' years ago.....? I'm sorry, but IMHO this is a joke.

(In the US, once you have a Permanent Resident Alien card- you are done. No reporting your current address every X days for the rest of your life).

This system here is very 3rd world India paper-wallah bureaucratic.

I doubt anyone has done a cost analysis to see what all the time and labor is costing the Thai National Police for this spurious effort- for what benefit?

Just my 25 satang.

They had it before and got rid of it for quite a few years.

I assume you mean the enforcement of it as the law has been on the books for years. At least 16 years when I moved here. A Brit at the uni was here for 20 years and said don't worry about it, nobody does it. Over time it came in bursts where they would enforce it for short periods then forget about it again. After about 11+ years of not reporting I got caught out and paid the penalty. That may been the time mentioned regarding Thaksin re-enforcing it.

I'm truly embarrassed when I hear obnoxious people treating the Thais with disrespect and I know my tolerance would be tested to the limit if I had to deal with them. On more than a few occasions I've butted into their conversations when I think they are treating Thais unfairly.

I agree with what Ian and (later) others are saying here, but I'd like to put this in context. We (as foreigners) cringe when we see foreigners being obnoxious in these situations, as we all consider ourselves ambassadors of our respective countries - and farang culture generally. But the fact is that there is much more of this sort of behaviour at home (farang v farang) than you ever see here.

Unless you have worked in a public service office with public contact - as only a few have - then I don't think most people realise just how very unpleasant some people are when dealing with public servants - and just what they think they are entitled to get away with. So by all means give the Thais a break - but don't forget to give the guys and gals at home a break too if and when you get back there.

PS: I have to report next week so I'll be sure to pass on all your best wishes to the photocopy lady ... and look out for the gap

Went there early this week for my fifth annual TW based extension. The little lady with glasses, who used to stand at the counter facing outdoors and constituting the first of three hindrances to circumvent in order to get the desparetely needed one month "under consideration" stamp, had evidently been promoted to sit at a desk that used to be owned by the second level of hindrances and thus now constituted the first of only two hindrances. She seemed happy with the promotion, much more talkative than she used to be. We were even missing one photocopy - the wife had forgotten to bring along a (dual) copy of the first page of her tabien bahn. Hey, the little lady with glasses, who previous years just had handed back the application, upon spotting some missing copy, and asked us to come back when the missing document were present, now just processed the case with a request that we brought along the missing copy later. We got to the second and last hindrance in the back, right office, who processed the case uttering only on sentence and I walked out of there with my stamp, based on a pile of incomplete photocopies. Well, the stamp I were given was just the usual "under consideration" stamp so of course I did go back to get the requested document and returned to imm. office and handed over the two required copies of it.

Certainly, much more user friendly service than previous years. In particular, I'm much surprised that that the application were processed and completed even with a missing document.

Indeed CM office is improving its service a lot , never had problems either ,

the last time I had to do the 90 days reporting I noticed the redesigned waiting room ,

now I feel even more as pigs stocked together , I liked it better the pigs had more open space ,

but so be it .

When I was finished I walked past the queue and 1 not so sweet faced foreigner with his wife I suppose gave

me his WWE wresting look , whats wrong with some of you , I friendly said excuse me to try ta walk past him and his seated wife , seems very narrow now at the waiting room but why sit in front ? Bugger .

Hope I get a smile next time ..... :)

This visit, unlike previous visits, I actually had time to sit in the place and just look and listen. I must admit that I also picked up a copy of The Sun (a London tabloid of the most infantile sort) to read. It was available from a multilingual news media reading rack made available by the Immigration Office. Since the front page was devoted to the story of some high-priced English prostitute "telling all," it didn't take long to read, but the pictures were nice.

The Sun is actually the largest daily distribution newspaper in the United Kingdom.

Iain

Anyone care to update this thread.....I had spoken this morning with a man trying to get into the immigration this past Monday and again this morning.... The tickeing machine indicates that they are all booked out for the day..... or some such...

Any one have an updated comment?

I was there on tuesday - early-mid afternoon - for a 90 day report. It was moderately full, but not packed. When we arrived we saw the sign on the machine "queue full" but took a ticket anyway. It was confusing as to whether you should take a ticket and/or whether they could accept any more people that day. Our ticket number eventually did appear on the screen. We were probably there about 30-45 mins. Other guys we spoke to were complaining because they had been there since mid-morning - to get their 12 month visa extensions. They were just getting seen when we left.

Edited by chiangmaibruce

I have to admit I agree with this.

It was brought back under Thaksin; I think 2004 or so.

The purpose is to verify the current address of all resident aliens.

Of course, one has the option of doing the entire thing by mail.

But when there are serious penalties (fines) levied for failing to comply, very few want to trust the mail to send in the TM47.

I don't like it. It may only take a few minutes to complete once there at Imm, but it is nonetheless an official mandatory presence at a Government Office.

One has to plan ahead, take time, copy documents, burn gas to go there....for what? To state I still live at the same address I lived at 3 months ago, 6 months ago, 12 months ago, 3 frikkin' years ago.....? I'm sorry, but IMHO this is a joke.

(In the US, once you have a Permanent Resident Alien card- you are done. No reporting your current address every X days for the rest of your life).

This system here is very 3rd world India paper-wallah bureaucratic.

I doubt anyone has done a cost analysis to see what all the time and labor is costing the Thai National Police for this spurious effort- for what benefit?

Just my 25 satang.

I suspect it is more than self funding taking all fees into consideration. Do a guesstimate of staff costs then consider the fees obtained on an annual basis.

Anyone care to update this thread.....I had spoken this morning with a man trying to get into the immigration this past Monday and again this morning.... The tickeing machine indicates that they are all booked out for the day..... or some such...

Could perhaps ask the staff if there is some problem, quite a few have some good English. :)

I was there on tuesday - early-mid afternoon - for a 90 day report. It was moderately full, but not packed. When we arrived we saw the sign on the machine "queue full" but took a ticket anyway. It was confusing as to whether you should take a ticket and/or whether they could accept any more people that day. Our ticket number eventually did appear on the screen. We were probably there about 30-45 mins. Other guys we spoke to were complaining because they had been there since mid-morning - to get their 12 month visa extensions. They were just getting seen when we left.

I was there Tuesday for the 90 day report. Arrived late morning. Took a number, and was out of there in less than 20 minutes. Much more efficient. If you have the required copies of your passport signed with the form completed and your passport, it's really quick and easy.