Removing Footwear In Homes

maxjay

Wasn't sure whether this belonged in General Topics or Buddhism. So if the mods want to move it, go ahead.

I suppose I can accept the tradition of removing ones footwear when entering the inside of a temple. Never read any of the Buddha's writings that said this? As I stated I can accept the tradition.

However, where did the custom of removing footwear when entering a private home come from? I lived in Hawaii for over 22 years and it is a common practice there too. However the majority of people living in Hawaii are Christian.

Are the bottoms of ones shoes considered dirtier than for example someones feet who is wearing flip flops or sandals, and who have been walking around in the dirty, dusty streets of Thailand or Hawaii?

What about someone who is physically challenged? I have seen people sitting in chairs and praying at temples rather than kneeling.

Its not Bhuddist - it's practised all over the world: Thailand, China, Saudi, UAE, Pakistan, India, Burma, many of the Central European countries and most North African countries (nearly all if not all Islamic countries) - in fact it seems a popular practise just about everywhere except Western/European countries.

Maybe the comparison should be religous versus cultural (?)

• Like 1

Cultural, I'd say. I don't think Buddhists in cold countries like Tibet remove much at all when entering a house.

It makes sense in a warm climate and why bring your dirty shoes onto a nice clean floor, especially when people sit on it?

I come from Brisbane, which has a sub-tropical climate and many houses have polished floors, not carpet. I think more and more people are leaving their shoes outside (perhaps also the result of having travelled in Asia? having more Asian neighbours and friends?).

Its not Bhuddist - it's practised all over the world: Thailand, China, Saudi, UAE, Pakistan, India, Burma, many of the Central European countries and most North African countries (nearly all if not all Islamic countries) - in fact it seems a popular practise just about everywhere except Western/European countries.

Good points and I do accept the practice.

However, I also asked this question:"What about someone who is physically challenged?" Someone, who for one reason or another, would find it difficult to walk about in a home, without their specially crafted orthopedic shoes?

Would people think a physically challenged person rude for not wanting to take their shoes off? Or would people find a host rude and insensitive for asking and/or demanding a physically challenged person to remove their footwear?

Edited by maxjay

I think more cultural than religious too.Not so long ago chairs were not so common in Asia,people used to sit on the floor.

I noticed too that in Italy where i come from,many friends who have been traveling to Asia,leave the shoes outside.

It's a nice habit if you ask me,i like to stay barefoot most of the time.

• Like 1

Good points and I do accept the practice.

However, I also asked this question:"What about someone who is physically challenged?" Someone, who for one reason or another, would find it difficult to walk about in a home, without their specially crafted orthopedic shoes?

You just need to explain.

I'd say it's just practical - neither cultural nor religous.

Kicking off your shoes when you return home; to relax, keep the floor clean, keep smells outside (don't forget to wash your feet if you need to :) ), these are pleasantries the world over - part of coming home. If you're welcoming others into your home, why not let them take their shoes off and kick back too; offering some slippers for their comfort.

Lovely. A practicality, like the toilet sprayer, that I'll leave Asia with...

Yes, I agree with all the respondents. It is a nice comfortable custom.

But, no one has addressed my questions:

However, I also asked this question:"What about someone who is physically challenged?" Someone, who for one reason or another, would find it extremely difficult to walk about in a home, without their specially crafted orthopedic shoes?

Would people think a physically challenged person rude for not wanting to take their shoes off when they are visiting someones home?

Or would people find a host rude and insensitive for asking and/or demanding a physically challenged person to remove their footwear before entering their home?

On a recent survey I read , it stated that the huge host of bacteria that is collected on a pair of flip-flops is unbelievable , better to leave them outside of the home , but then of course , one needs to consider the transference of those bacteria onto the feet and into the home . They had a practical answer to this in Germany , a damp cloth at the door way to remove those germs , cannot win for losing it seems .

However, I also asked this question:"What about someone who is physically challenged?" Someone, who for one reason or another, would find it extremely difficult to walk about in a home, without their specially crafted orthopedic shoes?

Would people think a physically challenged person rude for not wanting to take their shoes off when they are visiting someones home?

Or would people find a host rude and insensitive for asking and/or demanding a physically challenged person to remove their footwear before entering their home?

To answer your question: Asian hosts are generous and kind folk. I'm sure that be very accepting of anybody's handicap, within their home. Afterwards they'd clean the tiles, but during the stay they'd want their guest to feel comfortable and relaxed; shoes on, cleaned best one could before entering - no problem at all.

anong the thai workers here, they mostly remove shoes before coming in to their caravan or house but in some of the areas, they wear their shoes in the common area and remove them before going in to bedrooms (4-6 guys together in one room); and when 'farang' come to visit, they are always told, no problem, just come in.

my husband will enter our house with shoes on if he is just coming in for a moment or so; but no shoes in our bedroom. son cant be bothered to take off army boots and relace if he's just coming for a quick visit, so shoes stay on...

finnish sis in law has everyone remove shoes (in finland i understand that this is due to snow/mud/rain so boots/shoes left at door, floor is wood, so not cold like our tile floors), thai dont seem to make big deal about things like that; thai friends come to visit, they remove shoes, the toddler keeps her shoes on, including on my sofa

the dogs of course cant remove their paws at the door either...

in maine, i remember there was a 'dooryard' foyer area/laundry room for removing boots/work shoes, with slippers of varying sizes for all to use. thats what we do here since winter here is cold and so is our floor.

bina

israel

I live in North America for half the year and it's common practise for people today to remove their shoes. My parents didn't remove their shoes in their home, but most people today seem to unless they are told not to bother. I usually remove my shoes at home, but that's mostly for comfort sake and I wear a pair of slippers. I take off my shoes in my Thai hotel, even though I'm not required to do so.

I'd say it's just practical - neither cultural nor religous.

Kicking off your shoes when you return home; to relax, keep the floor clean, keep smells outside (don't forget to wash your feet if you need to :) ), these are pleasantries the world over - part of coming home. If you're welcoming others into your home, why not let them take their shoes off and kick back too; offering some slippers for their comfort.

Lovely. A practicality, like the toilet sprayer, that I'll leave Asia with...

Re Washing Your Feet, used to be quite common in Laos that they're be a hollowed log full of water along with a bricked or cement "basin" at the bottom of the stairs entering a two-story house. Obvious use, wash your feet. Haven't seen such lately.

Mac

When i enter the home of my TGF, if the intention is to stay a while, then off witth the shoes, short stay I do not take them off.

However, when we visit her family, I will always take them off, this is despite being told it is not necessary, due to my being fat.

My ex-wife was from Guyana in South America, her family were almost insulted if you did not remove shoes!

The question is, what kind of backwards cultural cesspool would spawn the tradition to NOT remove ones shoes when visiting other peoples houses? :)

In short, the norm is to remove the ones shoes and not drag moist and filth into other peoples houses.

Edited by TAWP

To answer your question: Asian hosts are generous and kind folk. I'm sure that be very accepting of anybody's handicap, within their home. Afterwards they'd clean the tiles, but during the stay they'd want their guest to feel comfortable and relaxed; shoes on, cleaned best one could before entering - no problem at all.

Yes!!! Once again, I agree with everyone's replies.

I agree it is more comfortable not to wear footwear inside!

I understand somewhat about the cleanliness point!

I understand about the cultural traditions!

However, only one poster, 'jasreeve17, has addressed my questions.

So, I guess since most people do not read previous posts or the whole thread. I need to be more succinct:

If YOU (any of the respondents) had a friend/acquaintance who is physically challenged, would YOU (any of the respondents) request/ask/demand that the physically challenged person remove their footwear before entering your home??? Even if you knew it would be extremely difficult and uncomfortable for the physically challenged person to walk around YOUR home without their footwear on???

WHAT WOULD YOU DO???

What would you ask of your PHYSICALLY CHALLENGED friend/acquaintance that YOU invited into YOUR home?

Is that clear/succinct enough for everyone???

Edited by maxjay

Yes!!! Once again, I agree with everyone's replies.

However, only one poster, 'jasreeve17, has addressed my questions.

So, I guess since most people do not read previous posts or the whole thread. I have to be more succinct:

If YOU (any of the respondents) had a friend/acquaintance who is physically challenged, would YOU (any of the respondents) request/ask/demand that the physically challenged person remove their footwear before entering your home??? Even if you knew it would be extremely difficult and uncomfortable for the physically challenged person to walk around YOUR home without their footwear on???

WHAT WOULD YOU DO???

:)

Most Thai hosts that did not know that the person entering their house needed to wear the special shoes might ask politely if they would please remove their shoes. Once they learned the reason for the guest needing to wear his/her shoes, they would probably immeadiately aploogise and say that the guest was perfectly welcome to wear their shoes.

Now if they knew in advance that the guest needed to wear those shoes, they would either never mention the matter, or tell the guest to wear his/her shoes before they entered.

The concept of 'face' is very important to Thais. Asking someone to remove their shoes if you knew they were uncomfortable with that would cause them to lose 'face' in the eyes of their guest. Most hosts/hostess would rather avoid that than ask an otherwise embarressing question of the guest.

Believe it or not, Thais are concerned with politeness and avoiding a embarressing scene as westerners are.

:D

Thanks IMA_FARANG.

In my twenty years experience/acquaintance with Thailand, I have always found my Thai hosts to be most gracious and accepting.

My post had to do with one of these "know it all" farangs. You know the ones I'm talking about...been here a year, learned some Thai, and now they are an "expert" on all things Thai. I met the same type of person in Hawaii.

Edited by maxjay

When I lived in the country in England where it was muddy we had to take our shoes off as kids but for adults it was up to them but if you walked in with mud you'd be considered rude.

In London no one would dream of taking their shoes off to come inside a house - I think it would be considered quite rude to do so.

Now you have shouted out your question I hear you loud and clear . Should I personally invite a person into my house that was physically disadvantaged in any way , I would make allowances for what ever he/she felt comfortable with , one should never treat a physically hampered person any different than a none disadvantaged person as though they are a 'Çripple' , they just have a need to do things differently (Their way) , accept these needs .

It is almost everywhere in Europe, just you take some kind of "house-shoes" because it is colder.

You do? Not in Scandinavia any we have our homes insulated and heated... And we do take off our shoes. Handicap they do take off their shoes to.

His reply was in support of taking off shows, not the OP itself.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO???

What would you ask of your PHYSICALLY CHALLENGED friend/acquaintance that YOU invited into YOUR home?

I guess people answer posts the best way they see fit and so they answer it to the best of their knowledge. Certain questions may be left unanswered simply because they do not know the answer, do you expect everybody to dissect each post and answer it line by line, answering what they know and replying, ' I don't know ' to those they don't?

Your original post was a general question, your above rant a more personal one, which makes it easier to answer on a personal level, than a general question on customs and traditions.

On a personal note, I prefer people to remove their footwear when they enter my home, although I never tell them too.

I always take off my footwear when I enter someone else's, unless told specifically not to.

If someone wears orthopaedic shoes, I would never request them to remove their shoes and if I actually knew beforehand, I would wait to see if they tried to remove them and quietly request them not too, so as not to bring attention to the disability, to others.

I wear orthopaedic shoes and I still take them off when I enter peoples houses, including my own.

I do not know where the custom, practice, or tradition comes from.

taking off your footware in hot weather keeps you cooler also.

( try it at your office some time when it seems hotter than normal)

mite be this is how it got started, practical rather than other reasons thought up after the fact

• 11 years later...
15 minutes ago, Brad Grier said:

Also a very common practice in Canada...it seems to depend on how you grew up!

id say it’s 50/50 to remove or not in Canada...J always removed In someone’s home unless told otherwise

Almost always removed my shoes growing up in the Netherlands.

Seems logical to me actually.

With your shoes you track in dirt into a house if you take off your shoes you don't

Of course this does not work  if not everyone does it.