Honda Vtr 2010

visions

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks a bit like a baby Ducati Monster, huh?

041509top.jpg

The 90-degree, four-valve, liquid-cooled V-Twin should put out good torque and HP similar to the Kawasaki Ninja 250R.

I guess it's being made in Thailand or it wouldn't be able to compete with Kawasaki on price. I wouldn't mind having one of these on my front porch :) Throw on a skid plate and dual sports and tear it up!

Put my order in today......no confirmed delivery date yet tho.

Unfortunately.....Naked bike only.....I like faired bikes so will organise a set of fairings for it prior to delivery.

From what info I have its a few HP less than the Kawa 250 but the VTR twin has more torque, plus nearly 40kg lighter so wins in low to mid range performance but the Kawa will beat it at the top end. How often do you ride flat out??

The 2 draw backs in the VTR for me are no fairings (which I will add) plus only 5 speed box.

Price is expected below the Kawa but not (publicly) finalised. Delivery early 2010. Sort of puts modding my 150 on hold now I guess??

Honda have set up several new production lines (in Thailand) apparently........if VTR is one...what are the others??

Put my order in today......no confirmed delivery date yet tho.

Unfortunately.....Naked bike only.....I like faired bikes so will organise a set of fairings for it prior to delivery.

The VTR is a nice looking bike...i wouldn't put a fairing on there, it's got a good "naked" look ...a small windshield is the most i would put...if you like a full fairing maybe the ninja 250 is better? or maybe i just don't use enough imagination on how the vtr would look with fairing... :)

mbox

About 32hp at the crank be nice to know how much and when

Here are the 2009 specs....

Specifications

Engine Type Liquid-cooled 4-stroke DOHC 4-valve 90° V-twin Displacement 250cm3 Bore x Stroke 60 x 44.2mm Compression Ratio 11: 1 Max. Power Output 22kW/10,500min-1 (95/1/EC) Max. Torque 22Nm/8,500min-1 (95/1/EC) Idling Speed 1,300min-1 Oil Capacity 2.4litres Fuel System Carburation PGM-FI electronic fuel injection Throttle Bore 32mm Aircleaner Viscous; panel-type paper filter Fuel Tank Capacity 12.4litres (including 2-litre reserve) Electrical System Ignition System Computer-controlled fully transistorised with electronic advance Ignition Timing 10° BTDC (idle) ~ 17.03° BTDC (2,000min-1) Sparkplug Type CR8EH-9 (NGK); U24FER9 (DENSO) Starter Electric Battery Capacity 12V/6AH ACG Output 0.32W Headlight 12V, 55W x 1 (low)/60W x 1 (high) Drivetrain Clutch Wet, multiplate with coil spring Transmission Type 5-speed Primary Reduction 2.82 Gear Ratios 1 2.73 2 1.8 3 1.38 4 1.11 5 0.97 Final Reduction 2.93 Final Drive O-ring sealed chain Frame Type Diamond; steel Chassis Dimensions (LxWxH) 2,070 x 725 x 1,055mm Wheelbase 1,405mm Caster Angle 25° 30' Trail 96mm Turning Radius 2.7m Seat Height 775mm Ground Clearance 155mm Kerb Weight 161kg (F: 77kg; R: 84kg) Max. Carrying Capacity 336kg Loaded Weight 340kg (F: 114kg; R: 226kg) Suspension Type Front 41mm telescopic fork, 117mm axle travel Rear Dampers with spring preload adjustment, 125mm axle travel Wheels Type Front Z-type cross-section 5-spoke cast aluminium Rear Z-type cross-section 5-spoke cast aluminium Rim Size Front 17M/C x MT3 Rear 17M/C x MT4 Tyre Size Front 110/70-17M/C (54H) Rear 140/70-17M/C (66H) Tyre Pressure Front 200kPa Rear 200kPa (with passenger: 200kPa) Brakes Type Front 296mm single hydraulic disc with dual piston caliper and resin mould pads Rear 220mm hydraulic disc with single-piston caliper and resin mould pads

Not a bad looking bike. the one pipe coming from the engine does make it look a bit weak though. Will be interesteg to see how it compares against the ninja in terms of cost.

2ninja-vtr-side.jpg

ninja-vs-vtr-2.jpg

Because given the choice, it would be the green fella every time.

775/25.4 = 30.5 inches. I had several sport-touring bikes 400-850 cc with 30.0 to 31 inch seat heights. My CBR's have seemed much lower; even Nok Lek could drive them. I'm confused.

For what it's worth, I have always felt that another factor which effects whether a person is tall enough for a bike is the shape of the seat. For example, when I went from my 1998 YZF600R to my 2007 R6 I had a much harder time reaching the ground on the R6 even though it was only .4 inches taller. (I am 6' tall.) The seat was wider and forced my upper leg outwards at an angle decreasing my overall height on the bike. I guess my point is, try it first. Looking at seat height alone and comparing to a different bike you have sat on might not give you an accurate feel for the height.

You can sort of see what I'm talking about in the pictures.

YZF600R

yzf600.jpg

R6

07r6_black_3_4380d5b1.jpg

Edited by Scubabuddha

When you say placed an order do you mean a deposit ? if so at what price for the bike, and is there a trail/dirt bike in the intended line up ?.......

According to http://www.motorcycle.in.th/staticpages/in...ycle_Price_List it will be 144,000 and available early 2010.

The 2010 Honda VTR250, the Powerful V-Twin Competition

Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 09:15 AM ICT

Contributed by: news

2010-Honda-VTR250-the-Powerful-V-Twin_1.jpgThe Honda VTR250 already has a proven track record in Japan where its blend of sporty performance, easy handling and edgy street credibility heads the 250cc class. Its high performance V-twin two-cylinder engine was first launched back in 1982, the engine was specially designed and developed for the Honda VTR250F.

Subsequent updates retained its basic configuration while placing ever greater emphasis on compact size and exhilarating performance.

In 1997 the first Honda VTR250 was released with its distinctive truss frame, and it has been popular ever since. Young and entry-level riders are attracted by its light, compact chassis and easy handling characteristics.

More experienced riders appreciate the sports-inspired performance that makes it a fun and satisfying ride. The Honda VTR250's unmistakable sports naked image has won its own loyal following and the Honda VTR250 has become the most successful road going 250cc motorcycle in Japan.

The Liquid cooled 4-stroke DOHC 90° V-twin engine, with a 60mm bore and 44.2mm stroke, with a 11:1 high compression ratio which is common with sport motorcycles. The 2010 Honda VTR250 is equipped with Honda's PGM-FI for accurate fueling and top performance. The PGM-FI (Fuel injection) incorporates 6 sensors to accurately determine the optimal ignition timing and fuel injection. The result is fast, reliable ignition and exceptionally smooth, quick throttle response.

The Honda VTR250 exhaust system has a chamber-less muffler with oxygen sensor, pre-catalyzer and main catalyzer, ensuring that the catalytic converter system reduces exhaust emissions.

Honda VTR250 will likely cost around 144,000 Baht, which is about 5,000 Baht less then the Kawasaki Ninja 250R.

-----------------------------------------------------

Possibly of interest to some, the slimmer, single cylinder 18hp (compared to 32hp for the VTR) Tiger Boxer 250RS is also available now at 76,000 baht. A freind of mine just bought one. He ordered it directly from the factory with custom paint. Unfortunatley this means you get it with no plates whatsover, and no amount of expaination could get him out of a ticket the other day. More about Tiger Boxer 250RS here: http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/Th...hai_All-Rounder.

Tiger Boxer 250RS. 18hp, 76,000 baht

File0195Large.jpg

Tires too skinny for my liking.

SB

Edited by Scubabuddha

When you say placed an order do you mean a deposit ? if so at what price for the bike, and is there a trail/dirt bike in the intended line up ?.......

Possibly of interest to some, the slimmer, single cylinder 18hp (compared to 32hp for the VTR) Tiger Boxer 250RS is also available now at 76,000 baht. A freind of mine just bought one. He ordered it directly from the factory with custom paint. Unfortunatley this means you get it with no plates whatsover, and no amount of expaination could get him out of a ticket the other day. More about Tiger Boxer 250RS here: http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/Th...hai_All-Rounder.

File0195Large.jpg

SB

Hi SB,

I would like to point out that your posted price is not quite right. It is 72000 THB for the Tiger Boxer 250RS as per pricelist here: http://tigersachsclub.com/tigersachsshop.html

maybe it was 76000 THB for your friends bike with extras added(ie windshield, rack...)

So your friend got the Boxer without red plates from tiger factory??? (No new legal bike comes with the real plate but red ones, to my knowing) But he had the green Book right? I got my Boxer ordered from factory too but had them deliver to a dealer who arranged a red plate until the real plate was ready.

I think you have to either get an red-plate ( not sure where to get from- normally from dealer or perhaps elsewhere too?) or wait it out until you get the real plate (takes 2-3 weeks??) than you won't be bothered from BiB too.

Oh, just to have it said...i put bigger Dunlops on mine ,and it does help:-)

You can order these Dunlops already from Tiger for extra charge ,

mbox

For those that didn't know; the VTR 250 when first imported into the States had a fairing. Butt ugly if you ask me.

bike_vtr250_nick1.jpg

Even being a Honda whore, I'd be reluctant to purchase a VTR 250 for my riding. The lack of a fairing combined with less HP than the Ninja (even if it were to land at a slightly lower price point) would definitely disadvantage it in my eyes.

A HP graph that is the definition of nice linear gains combined with knobbies would undoubtably make a grin inducing dual sport capable bike. The city riding would also be better than on the (anemic below 9k RPM) Ninja.

A HP graph that is the definition of nice linear gains combined with knobbies would undoubtably make a grin inducing dual sport capable bike. The city riding would also be better than on the (anemic below 9k RPM) Ninja.

I think most people would benefit from the lower power band most of the time. As I commented earlier, how many people ride flat out or at least have the engine screaming above 9000 the majority of time? For most of us ...urban driving would make up a large part of our usage, plus twisty hilly driving (where the fun is) the lower power band also wins out.

I agree with the comment about the ugly USA fairing, but that was many years ago now. Im sure it wouldnt be too hard to add a set of late model CBR 600 fairings including the rear seat fairing. I must try having a photoshop job done on the pic.

I think most people would benefit from the lower power band most of the time. As I commented earlier, how many people ride flat out or at least have the engine screaming above 9000 the majority of time?

Um... you talking about me??? I resemble that comment... :):D:D

It looks to me as if Honda (and other companies) are coming full circle. That is after 35 years they are finally once again producing as good an all around bike as they used to. This is the Honda CB 350. My first bike was a CB 350 which after a couple years driving it practically everywhere I traded in for a Honda 450. The CB 350 was rated at 36 horsepower and 103 miles an hour, but I'd say that realistically it was a good 90 mile an hour bike. Now let me put this in perspective. Marlon Brando and Lee Marvin stared in the movie, "The Wild One" back in 1953. Brando's bike was a Triumph Thunderbird, which was a 2 cylinder 650 machine rated at around 33 horsepower and good for (according to my internet sources) 100 miles an hour. Back in 1950's those were the big bikes of their day along with American made Harleys and Indians. Notice the long comfortable looking seat for two the 350 CBR had and its upright riding position. When the 450 CB Honda came out, it was considered equal to in performance to the British 650's. Such bikes as the 350 Honda CB and 450 Honda CB caused a huge decline in British bike sales and the CB 750 finished the British bike industry.

Somehow Honda and the other Japanese motorcycle companies have been able to convince the average Western motorcycle buyer that what he really needed was something that was at least 1000 cc's while delivering to him either a crotch rocket or a cruiser. Personally I have no love for cruisers. The handle bars are way up in the air and the seating position is too low. And look at all the chrome one gets to spend all his time polishing. As for the crotch rockets, my last bike was a BMW 100 RS that had a sport fairing, narrow handle bars, and a crouched down riding position. That Bike was pretty comfortable so long as one was doing at least 80 miles an hour on it. The idea was that the outside air at such speeds would hit the driver at the top of his helmet at enough force to make him feel comfortable in a crouch. But it was not a good riding position for driving around in slow city traffic. The bike I had before that was the BMW R-65 650 c.c. horizontally opposed twin. I had one very minor accident while driving both bikes. That single accident was while taking a motorcycle safety course while using the BMW 100 RS. I had a bad hangover and while driving the bike REAL SLOWLY through the cones it started to go over on me and before I knew it the bike had fallen on its side.

Just take a look at what Honda's been offering to the U.S. market. It's either dirt bikes, and dual purpose bikes or it's cruisers with the high bars and low seating positions or crotch rockets. Want an all rounder that is roughly equivalent to a CB 350 or 450? There is no such animal. Closest thing is the 250 Honda Rebel with its 17 horsepower. And that bike will probably not go faster than 75 miles an hour tops. May I suggest that Honda's only been offering models that have a much higher profit margin than such all rounders to the U.S. market?

Now don't get me wrong, if Honda brought its 300 c.c. scooter I brought up in earlier posts at a decent price in Thailand I'd buy one a.s.a.p. whether I needed its power or not so Honda can be innovative when it wants to be. But when it comes to offering a broad range of products the consumer can really use, BMW beats Honda all hollow. It has fast sports tourers, it has comfortable full dress tourers, and it has single cylinder light weight 650 dual purpose machines, unfortunately at high dollar but it is offering an attractive full lineup nevertheless. When it comes to the Japanese manufacturers it's Kawasaki that's been offering the closest things to all rounders at a reasonable price.

I do like the looks of the new Honda 250 and the prospect finally of a good seating position being offered here in Thailand with a good deal less chrome to have to be slave to polishing. Thanks to Kawasaki's Ninja 250 R and recent light weight 650 twin, Honda's finally being forced to offer something that is roughly equal to what it offered 35 years ago.

honda_350_cb.jpg

File0195Large.jpg

SB

Hi SB,

I would like to point out that your posted price is not quite right. It is 72000 THB for the Tiger Boxer 250RS as per pricelist here: http://tigersachsclub.com/tigersachsshop.html

maybe it was 76000 THB for your friends bike with extras added(ie windshield, rack...)

So your friend got the Boxer without red plates from tiger factory??? (No new legal bike comes with the real plate but red ones, to my knowing) But he had the green Book right? I got my Boxer ordered from factory too but had them deliver to a dealer who arranged a red plate until the real plate was ready.

I think you have to either get an red-plate ( not sure where to get from- normally from dealer or perhaps elsewhere too?) or wait it out until you get the real plate (takes 2-3 weeks??) than you won't be bothered from BiB too.

Oh, just to have it said...i put bigger Dunlops on mine ,and it does help:-)

You can order these Dunlops already from Tiger for extra charge ,

mbox

Just to give an update over the red plate issue...it seems that in BKK and many(or most) other provinces these red plates are not a "must have"- it seems merely something given from the Dealer for temporary driving . When you get stopped by police without the red plate you shall simply show him the paperwork you got from factory and a proof of purchase....if the Bib still charge you than it was not supposed to be(or they're saving up for their weekend beer) ...

My wife phoned to check this, as we are about to get the Retro - direct from factory and wanted to be sure over procedures.

mbox

Hi Mbox,

You are wrong, Title 1, section 11 of the (Thai) Motor Vehicle Act says "Registered motor vehicles must carry and show their license plates when in use on public roads.", there is no exception on this rule. The ticket for this offence is rather high, I belief it is official 200 Baht.

Title 1: Registration of Motor Vehicles

Hi Mbox,

You are wrong, Title 1, section 11 of the (Thai) Motor Vehicle Act says "Registered motor vehicles must carry and show their license plates when in use on public roads.", there is no exception on this rule. The ticket for this offence is rather high, I belief it is official 200 Baht.

Thnaks for the update...seems to be that my wife was wrongly informed then.... but what if the bike is not registered as yet and awaits the nr plate??? i do understand that "registered Bikes" must show plates...but new ones that are in progress of becoming registered??? thanks for fishing on this,

mbox

All automotive vehicles on the Thai road need to have a license plate, if the Department of Land Transport did not issue a license plate... you cannot use the public road, to overcome this the Department of Land Transport has the temporarily "red" license plates, also called garage-plates.

This temporarily "red" license plates are global thing every country has garage-plates, it was agreed on in the United Nation Traffic Act. In Bangkok we not see to much red plates for motorcycles, this because normally the registering procedure is very fast. In Thai rural areas you see much more red license plates as it takes a few days extra for the paperwork to process.

I asked my g/f, and she says that it is indeed 200 Baht ticket, she knows this well as see had a habit to ride around with Hong Kong license plates on her motorcycle "just because it is cool" now-a-day that police is checking more and more she have replaced the Hong Kong license plate for the actual Thai license plate. (The Bike is officially registered and has all paperwork)

Hi Mbox,

Well, we all know that laws and enforcement vary from province to province here in Thailand.

In Bangkok there are no temporary red plates for motorcycles so the rule (written or unwritten?) in Bangkok is that you are allowed to ride your new motorcycle without a plate while you are waiting for the plate and registration. If stopped by the BiB you just have to show purchase invoice and proof of insurance. I've purchased 3 motorcycles in Bangkok and ridden all of them 'plateless' and the BiB in Bangkok and upcountry have always let me go when I show them the purchase invoice and tell them it's a new bike.

Happy Trails!

Tony

All automotive vehicles on the Thai road need to have a license plate, if the Department of Land Transport did not issue a license plate... you cannot use the public road, to overcome this the Department of Land Transport has the temporarily "red" license plates, also called garage-plates.

This temporarily "red" license plates are global thing every country has garage-plates, it was agreed on in the United Nation Traffic Act. In Bangkok we not see to much red plates for motorcycles, this because normally the registering procedure is very fast. In Thai rural areas you see much more red license plates as it takes a few days extra for the paperwork to process.

I asked my g/f, and she says that it is indeed 200 Baht ticket, she knows this well as see had a habit to ride around with Hong Kong license plates on her motorcycle "just because it is cool" now-a-day that police is checking more and more she have replaced the Hong Kong license plate for the actual Thai license plate. (The Bike is officially registered and has all paperwork)

Thanks for that...strange i got this "no need red plate" reply from various sides...including Khun Pariya mentioned( a few hours ago) that there is no need for red Plates in BKK anymore (is that something that recently changed?) and other provinces may be the same...wife asked in my province they said they don't have them in BKK anymore and we don't have them too....well confusing it can be at times here In LOS...mbox

Hi Mbox,

Well, we all know that laws and enforcement vary from province to province here in Thailand.

In Bangkok there are no temporary red plates for motorcycles so the rule (written or unwritten?) in Bangkok is that you are allowed to ride your new motorcycle without a plate while you are waiting for the plate and registration. If stopped by the BiB you just have to show purchase invoice and proof of insurance. I've purchased 3 motorcycles in Bangkok and ridden all of them 'plateless' and the BiB in Bangkok and upcountry have always let me go when I show them the purchase invoice and tell them it's a new bike.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Thanks tony...this is precisely what i have been told today...

mbox

Hi Mbox,

Happy Trails!

Tony

There seems to always be contradictory stories to the written rules. Don't forget about the guy posted his story a couple weeks ago who got ticketed 4 times (payed the bribe each time) in the span of 40 minutes on his brand new plateless big bike in Bangkok. Maybe he didn't have his invoice? Not sure.

And as I mentioned earlier, my friend got a ticket last week for his brand new plateless Tiger Boxer 250RS in Phuket. He had invoice in hand to show the BIB, but he wouldn't have any of it.

Also, whoever said that every country has garage, or temporary, plates is incorrect. In the states, at least in California and I think many others, you don't get garage plates, rather a small paper taped to the front window similar to the tax disk you see in Thailand. Cars will have no plates whatsoever for around a month.

Edited by Scubabuddha