Honda Vtr 2010

visions

There seems to always be contradictory stories to the written rules. Don't forget about the guy posted his story a couple weeks ago who got ticketed 4 times (payed the bribe each time) in the span of 40 minutes on his brand new plateless big bike in Bangkok. Maybe he didn't have his invoice? Not sure. There are just some guys who have a face that screams- "I'm a noobie, please scam me." The BiB seem to have a good nose for easy money. I've got a friend who's lived in Thailand for over 10 years and is a good driver but he's a total cop magnet. I have no idea why- it's the strangest thing. And he always pays up... :D

And as I mentioned earlier, my friend got a ticket last week for his brand new plateless Tiger Boxer 250RS in Phuket. He had invoice in hand to show the BIB, but he wouldn't have any of it. But in Phuket you guys DO have red plates for new bikes, right? So if your friend was riding his new bike without the Phuket Red Plate, then maybe that's why he got a ticket?

Also, whoever said that every country has garage, or temporary, plates is incorrect. In the states, at least in California and I think many others, you don't get garage plates, rather a small paper taped to the front window similar to the tax disk you see in Thailand. Cars will have no plates whatsoever for around a month. Yup- apparently Richard's "global thing every country has garage-plates, it was agreed on in the United Nation Traffic Act." doesn't apply to the USA... Joe- does that mean the US isn't a country?! I mean I know we don't get along with the UN, but wasn't aware we've been de-listed as a country?!?! :):D:D

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear BigBikeBKK,

The pleasure of laughing is all mine, the knowledge you have is truly amazing. I would recommend that you look into the UN Road Traffic Act's before you say something. The first UN convention on creating a worldwide Road Traffic Act was in Geneva, and appropriately called the “Geneva Convention on Road Traffic” this was back in 1949, after that convention we have the “Vienna Convention on Road Traffic” of 1968. I belief that there are even more meetings about the UN Road Traffic Act...

Anyway, the text of the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic is about 400 pages thick (only on license plates), and I'm sure you will search for it and read all pages to proof me wrong. Who knows, maybe you learn something in the process.

--------------------------------------------------

It is also no correct that the USA has no temporary license plates

“Some jurisdictions issue temporary licence plates made of security paper for drivers waiting for plates in the mail, or other registration issues. A common length of time to have temporary plates is 30 days, some U.S. states allow temporary tags to be effective for up to 90 days. Temporary licence plates are usually taped to the inside of the rear windshield, while some states require it to be in the front windshield. Expiration dates are usually hand written by regulatory employees or dealership sales personnel, but, due to easy alteration of hand written dates, some states now digitally print the date on the tag. If a driver continues to drive after the permit expires the vehicle can face impounding as an unplated vehicle.”

----------------------------------------------

Thailand has his own idea's about international agreements that is well known, but even a countries like Australia and New Zealand did not ratify the 1968 Vienna convention on Road Traffic, still they more or less apply its standards.

Edited by Richard-BKK

^ Erm... If you meant to say 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic why didn't you just say that instead of "United Nation Traffic Act" which doesn't exist. :)

Thailand is a signatory to the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic but Thailand doesn't actually comply with some of the most basic requirements of the convention, such as having registration numbers displayed in Latin characters...

And you said "This temporarily "red" license plates are global thing every country has garage-plates" which again is false. There is no such thing as "garage plates" in the US. In the US temporary tags are issued by the state for new vehicles and there are dealer plates for vehicles driven but not yet sold, but there is no such thing as "garage plates"...

Happy Trails!

Tony

Dear Tony,

First the official name of the Convention of Vienna was “United Nations Conference on Road Traffic Final Act”, it was held on 7 October to 8 November 1968 in Vienna. As it as not the “final” meeting on the subject, it later get referred to as the “United Nation Road Traffic Act”

And Tony I do belief that you did not read the text correct, the license plates of a vehicle ONLY has to be in Arabic numbers and Latin characters if the vehicle travels outside its country (territory).

Dear BigBikeBKK,

The pleasure of laughing is all mine, the knowledge you have is truly amazing. I would recommend that you look into the UN Road Traffic Act's before you say something. The first UN convention on creating a worldwide Road Traffic Act was in Geneva, and appropriately called the “Geneva Convention on Road Traffic” this was back in 1949, after that convention we have the “Vienna Convention on Road Traffic” of 1968. I belief that there are even more meetings about the UN Road Traffic Act...

Anyway, the text of the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic is about 400 pages thick (only on license plates), and I'm sure you will search for it and read all pages to proof me wrong. Who knows, maybe you learn something in the process.

--------------------------------------------------

It is also no correct that the USA has no temporary license plates

“Some jurisdictions issue temporary licence plates made of security paper for drivers waiting for plates in the mail, or other registration issues. A common length of time to have temporary plates is 30 days, some U.S. states allow temporary tags to be effective for up to 90 days. Temporary licence plates are usually taped to the inside of the rear windshield, while some states require it to be in the front windshield. Expiration dates are usually hand written by regulatory employees or dealership sales personnel, but, due to easy alteration of hand written dates, some states now digitally print the date on the tag. If a driver continues to drive after the permit expires the vehicle can face impounding as an unplated vehicle.”

----------------------------------------------

Thailand has his own idea's about international agreements that is well known, but even a countries like Australia and New Zealand did not ratify the 1968 Vienna convention on Road Traffic, still they more or less apply its standards.

As an ex car-importer/exporter/dealer in Europe my experience is that most EU countries do not have temp plates as described. Cars are allowed to be moved or testdriven on red plates according to strict rules. However when car is sold it must obtain permanent plates before being used. In most countries thats done within 3 hours after all documents are provided to DMV.

and there are dealer plates for vehicles driven but not yet sold, but there is no such thing as "garage plates"...

Those 'dealer plates' are the items..

This is why red plates are dealer owned, and the dealer wants them back, as they are recycled onto the next bike not re-issued new numbers.

Back in another thread on this when 'bangkok bikes done need red plates' came up I also said it may be tolerated, but its not the law. Law is a bike must be plated, red dealer plate if its waiting papers and white if they have come. All this riding on invoice papers is not legal, but it seems in some places tolerated.

Anyone know where I can find the 2010 Honda VTR thread? It was here somewhere.... :D

you're off topic :D this is the "red Nr plate" thread which resolved into "we agree to disagree" :)

hel_l , lets hijack it and make it a 2010 Honda Vtr thread.

So my question is, where did the OP order the Bike from?

Sure there are other 250's here in LOS already, but this one looks very nice / naked bike =i like it !

in which colors is it coming? Do we have pics of those colored bikes?

More varieties of bikes is good for us...hope there will be more choices coming over time, but sooner is better.

mbox

Anyone know where I can find the 2010 Honda VTR thread? It was here somewhere.... :D

you're off topic :D this is the "red Nr plate" thread which resolved into "we agree to disagree" :)

hel_l , lets hijack it and make it a 2010 Honda Vtr thread.

Ah. I c. Ok I agree lets go OT and make it a VTR thread. :D

(Yes I know I am guilty of going OT more than once, but i thought I would take the chance to scold those who have scolded me int he past!! :D)

edit: And to go further off topic...my Avatar has reverted back to it's previous image...hmmmm

Edited by Scubabuddha

At the risk of going slightly off topic, when I was at my local dealer who knew nothing about the Honda VTR he did say that Honda will be releasing a 'big' scooter in December.

Although I have the new Yamaha Elegance I often get my bike serviced at a nearby Honda dealer, get my license sticker renewed etc. So the other day I told the place's head salesman about the 150 c.c. Honda scooter they are selling in Vietnam. He had never heard anything about it so a couple days later I brought in pictures which we put on his computer at the dealership. He said he'd call Honda about it. From what I've been reading about the Honda 150 that is now being offered in the U.S. with Italian high labor costs built in it is listed in some places with horsepower figures as high as 15.5 But I'm also reading that it seems to be governed down in some way to be able to manage no more than 65 miles an hour. But your dealership is telling you Honda will soon offer a big scoot in December. Is this the 150 model? Or the much larger and more powerful 300 model in which case we can expect much higher prices. I do love the pictures of the new Honda 250 motorcycle (new to Thailand that is). Realistically however, my girlfriend and I just went to Lotus last night to pick up groceries. You'd think one would need a car to put all those groceries in. We put two of the smaller plastic bags under the seat. I hung three bags of groceries on the hook in front of me and my girlfriend carried four bags as she rode behind me. Can't do that on a "real motorcycle". One would first have to clutter it up with a large storage tank on the rear at extra cost. Then there would be no hooks in front of the driver to hang things from. And as far as power, we had plenty to zip in front of the cars and get into the passing lane on North Pattaya Road.

I'm thinking of calling my Norwegian buddy to see if he will do a run up to Rayon (takes an hour) as he's done it a few times. He's currently renting an Air Blade and then we can compare the fuel economy of the Air Blade to my Nouvo Elegance over this stretch of highway driving. I'm also itching to rent first the Ninja 250 R just for shits and grins, then the new 650, but as long as my driving is in Pattaya and I'm picking up groceries, strapping computers on the back of my bike to take in for repair, no matter how good either one is, they aren't going to be the bike the Nouvo is or any new offering from Honda is. Unfortunately it's been raining every afternoon. Last night gave both of us such a belly laugh as we put a car's worth of groceries on my little Nouvo.

Edited by jackcorbett

The new bigger scooter is called the Honda PCX, and it is powered by a 125cc engine...

I got the impression that he was talking of something bigger than a 125 but then again with my limited Thai, the managers limited English and the Thai 'idea' of big I may have been very much mistaken.

If all Honda's going to do is put a 125 c.c. fuel injected model in their Thailand lineup once again they are two steps behind Yamaha and playing catchup. The 110 c.c. Air Blade without fuel injection would wind up having my 113 c.c. Nouvo MX pulling away from it. Id say the 135 c.c. Elegance will do it with even more authority over a new 125 c.c. Honda automatic than the old Nouvo would overtake the Air Blade. That 150 c.c. model Honda's already got in Vietnam and is presently introducing in the U.S. has substantially larger tires than the present Air Blade or any Nouvo. It is going to take those tires and the 150 c.c. engine to put Honda on top..for awhile.

So fare I know, there is no 150cc Honda scooter in Vietnam, and surely not one which is going to be exported to the USA. The Thai build Honda PCX is a modern 125cc which is the new global product, this means it will be exported to the USA, Europe, Japan, and distributed around the countries in Southeast Asia.

The 125cc sounds small, but it is indeed a wonderful machine, and when it surely will push Yamaha back to the drawing board...

So fare I know, there is no 150cc Honda scooter in Vietnam, and surely not one which is going to be exported to the USA. The Thai build Honda PCX is a modern 125cc which is the new global product, this means it will be exported to the USA, Europe, Japan, and distributed around the countries in Southeast Asia.

The 125cc sounds small, but it is indeed a wonderful machine, and when it surely will push Yamaha back to the drawing board...

I beg to differ, Richard spy picture of Honda SH 150 I taken in Hanoi I took the shot in Hanoi on September 18, 2009. The bike says SH 150 I on it. Here's a few links to check out Honda SH 150 I, an American marketing disaster And here's where you can buy them in Scottsdale, AZ Just $4399 in Scottsdale And here's more specs including horsepower figure of 15.5 Bikez However, the Bikez specs claim a 4 speed gearbox. I don't get that one. It's automatic. more info Do a search under this model and you will find all kinds of info on it.

Edited by jackcorbett

It seems you right, still it is very funny that Honda seems to work on two scooters for 2010 for global export. The Honda PCX is not a scooter with some other plastic body and modified engine, it is completely re-designed from zero. Only the CV-matic transmission in the PCX scooter has patented by 14 patents.

I today will try to call Honda to ask about the SH-150, should be fun.

It seems you right, still it is very funny that Honda seems to work on two scooters for 2010 for global export. The Honda PCX is not a scooter with some other plastic body and modified engine, it is completely re-designed from zero. Only the CV-matic transmission in the PCX scooter has patented by 14 patents.

I today will try to call Honda to ask about the SH-150, should be fun.

The Honda SH 150 I will definitely up the ante for both Yamaha and Honda. First off, in the picture I took of one in Vietnam note the very large tires (for a scooter). They look to be about the same size tires the 150 CBR has. I would think this bike will have great stability on the highway at relatively high speeds. But check this scooter out Review of the Honda Sh 300 I and 2nd review of the Honda SH 300 i While I'm at it I'll even paste a picture here pic3L.jpg This scooter is now being sold in Australia. Other places as well, but so far it's not earmarked for the U.S. or Thailand. I really like the look of the new Honda 250 motorcycle that will soon be coming to Thailand. However, this 300 c.c. scooter would really be the cat's meow. If I had just bought the Honda 250 motorcycle, the Ninja 250 R, or even the Kawasaki ER6n I'd feel I bought yesterday's technology if they brought this into Thailand at a reasonable price. It's got a neat, taut look with beautiful curves, the speed and power to handle highway driving, brilliant brakes, great handling and tires large enough to soak up bumps. It is substantially much smaller than Yamaha's 400 c.c. Majesty and 500 c.c. Trimax so I would expect it to be much better in city traffic and it's much prettier. Its only weakness is it does not have much under the seat storage space.

But to those who keep questioning the reliability of the automatics, they should ponder Honda's seriousness by engineering such brilliant machines in the first place. This thing's apparently been on European highways for over a year and no doubt holding up quite well.

Edited by jackcorbett