Marmite - Where Can I Buy It It Pattaya?

wilko

In Pattaya you can practically live on English food – as I’m a fan myself of our great nations much slighted foodstuff. You don’t even have to eat Thai food!

Because I don’t live there the others will advise you better than me but when I’m there I like to eat at an English pub called the Ritz (strangely enough). They do a great breakfast with black pudding.

Wilko, Friendship is your best bet. They have marmite, Branson pickles, Pickalily etc. Also full range of Yorkys products, real English sausages,pork pies ,gammon etc. If you ever have to go to Penang for visa or any other reason its a good place to pick up some British products that are not available in los and also considerably cheaper than they are here.

Wilko, Friendship is your best bet. They have marmite, Branson pickles, Pickalily etc. Also full range of  Yorkys products, real English sausages,pork pies ,gammon etc. If you ever have to go to Penang for visa or any other reason its a good place to pick up some British products that are not available in los and also considerably cheaper than they are here.

Cant say I have ever seen marmite in friendship, but I am probably not looking in the right place. I have though seen New Zealand Marmite in Best at Dolphin roundabout along with vegimite but its a poor namesake of the real thing.

OK - Firstly let me say that I like Thai food and eat it every day this is a great country to get your weight down and your cholesterol level under control.

However as every ex-pat knows you inevitably get the odd craving for a foodstuff from back home, my two main ones are Gentleman's relish and Stilton. I do a fair amount of shopping around Pattaya and have never seen Marmite in Friendship or Foodland. I've seen and bought the Vegemite and Australian (Sanatorium) marmite in Best on the Dolphin.

Unfortunately Stilton, which you can buy in Foodland, is prohibitively expensive, so I usually get any visitors from UK to bring some when they come, but as I love French cheese, I can take the edge off that craving by indulging in a good Camembert from Carrefour, (Why can't that ruddy presenter on Pattaya People News say the name right? - He always calls it "Cahfoo")

I must admit to an English-style breakfast every now and then; I use either of the Continentals (Jomtien or Pattaya). I have so far been bitterly disappointed with any black pudding I've encountered in Pattaya. However in general I’m not into going to “British” or “English” restaurants, they just seem to be variations on a Greasy Jo’s.

The other great disappointment for me also has been the lack of a really good quality British /Indian restaurant.

So what food cravings do you lot get and how do you sate them?

• 2 weeks later...
No Vegimite or Marmite available to buy in Thailand. Aussie Expats have Vegimite bought in for them from australia also no Gravox either.

Bigmike.

That's not true. My shop in Surin sells Marmite,Bovril & Birds Custard powder,along with Oxo cubes and Bisto. Even sell knorr cheese sauce. Other things we sell are Brooke Bond Divi tea and Mint sauce. The Buriram European Foodstore sells much the same as well. At the mo my stock is down,but I am expecting a delivery this week from UK.

No Vegimite or Marmite available to buy in Thailand. Aussie Expats have Vegimite bought in for them from australia also no Gravox either.

Bigmike.

Friendship have tubs of Gravox....all types.

Edit....also 5 types of Bisto gravy granules and gravy salt.....aaahh bisto! :o

Edited by thaiflyer1

I found The Ritz a bit hit & miss. Service is quick..maybe a bit to quick..(microwave !)

For the best filled sarni's, small place on second Rd. 100mtrs south down from Apex. (German or dutch run ?)Multitude of cheeses & cold meats. Bread rolls are excellent.

Bigmike.

Vegemite available at Best Supermarket, Dolphin roundabout and Carrefour.

Gravox available at Foodland on Pattaya Klang. Vegemite is available at several other outlets too. Haven't seen Promite though.

What is it with this stuff 8)

what does it taste like ?

Marmite is a dark brown coloured savoury spread made from a yeast by product of the brewing industry.

It is made on licence and it`s ingredients vary depending where is originates from.

The main ingredients are yeast extract, vegetable extract, salt, spices, niacin, vitamins bi, b2, folic acid and vit b12, but it can also contain wheatgerm, sugar, herbs and spices.

The taste to me is of beef extract or a very stong spicey gravy with a smell of yeast. They say that it is an acquired taste..

When I was younger I used to love it spread on bread with crushed potato crisps and a bit of pickled cabbage. :o

I have found both Marmite and Vegemite at several different locations in Patty.

What I cannot find is Bovril - although a thread about a year ago said it was to be found in Best or Tops. I couldn't find any when I went.

Long previous threads on these great British / Oz delicacies, made from the discarded brewery products.

I know where Foodland is in Pattaya but could someone tell me how to get to Friendship?

Go along 3rd road to the traffic lights where 3rd road meets south pattaya road and turn right at the lights travel down south pattaya road and its approx 200m on the left.

Or...........go along beach road and turn left just before you hit walking st then travel up south pattaya road past the market and its approx 400m on your right.

• 2 years later...

What I cannot find is Bovril - although a thread about a year ago said it was to be found in Best or Tops. I couldn't find any when I went.

Long previous threads on these great British / Oz delicacies, made from the discarded brewery products.

I was checking the threads for Marmite. You say you've found it at several different locations. Could you be more precise as I've not yet found it.

Bigmike.

Wrong - They're all in Villa in Bangkok . . . . .

G

Marmite is available at the supermarket on the corner of Theppraya and Thepprasit road (foodmart!? something like that), bought some about two days ago, they also sell walkers crisps including the marmite flavoured ones.

Marmite is stocked in Tops in Sri Racha at about 3 or 40 hundred baht a jar. So presumably it's stocked at others Tops supermarkets too.

As for Vegemite.........give it a rest !!!!!!!

OK Best Supermarket Dolphin roundabout Pattaya

Marmite is available at the supermarket on the corner of Theppraya and Thepprasit road (foodmart!? something like that), bought some about two days ago, they also sell walkers crisps including the marmite flavoured ones.

Thanks. That's near my place.

Sheesh, you must be desperate for Marmite to be digging up a two year old thread about it ! :D

I figured some of the responses would be similar to what you would get if you asked "Does anyone know Lek that used to work at Tony's 2 years ago ?" :o

Apparently Marmite is longer lasting than most of the poor, sweet, innocent farm girls that work in Pattaya ! :D

Sheesh, you must be desperate for Marmite to be digging up a two year old thread about it ! :o

Why so? You do a quick search and up it comes. It's a pretty easy way to find what I want, and I have.

Bovril is a victim of the BSE problems and no longer manufactured as it is made from actual meat extract.