Coolest Car Under 2mb

On Sunday there was 2Fast 2Furious on HBO. While from the first scenes of street racing I can totally agree that "boy-racers" are way overdone, the two Mitsus driven for the rest of the movie were sweet and to the point.

The Evo is a great car , but the other Mistu (FTO SPider) is not.

The RX7 at the start was also ice cool.

Prefer the Supra in the First movie overall.

:o

Edited by chonabot

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

madsere, i left the notion of 'cool' open to interpretation but did qualify that the car would be meant for a single, mid-30s urban male. so, yes, i'd say japanese boy-racer cars are out of contention given the buyer profile. family type wagons and MPVs are also out.

having considered this problem at length i have a couple of choices in mind, but i wanted to field ideas from forum members to see if anything more interesting comes up. interesting to note that the conclusions drawn by some respondents were very similar to my own.

agree with observations that 2 mb is kind of a middle-of-the-road sort of budget, its big enough to buy most jap cars but its not quite within reach of well built european models, unless second hand cars are considered.

the dilema itself revealed to me a more interesting conflict i'm having with myself at this stage in life and i suppose many people are confronted with the same. you've been working hard for years and suddenly you realise that you are doing well enough to afford most items but not so well as to afford the best, i.e. you have worked your way into the middle class. will you then choose the sensible, reliable, efficient, affordable, but mundane option and give in to the world that is conspiring to press you into the arms of mediocrity, or will you take a wild step into the unknown, pay more than you are comfortable with, and indulge in more inspired design, technology, luxury and quality, while betting on the chance that you will be able to cover the additional cost in the near future. i believe the choices we make in purchases such as this reflects on who we are and our attitude in life. this upcoming purchase is sort of forcing me to take a personal stand. okay thanks for listening, i'll shut up now.

I tend to look at cars now as the same kind of financial habit as drinking. You have to know what you want out of it and what your tastes are. In my opinion, many people foolishly buy cars (or drinks!) to impress others rather than to get quality they will enjoy themselves. I like to buy a 90 baht bottle of Erdinger hefeweissen at Top's to enjoy at home with dinner, but I don't feel shy about drinking local beers too. I don't care what others think of my choices, but I know what I like... I prefer to use my mouth to express myself, and keep my wallet for those things I like.

When I was 24, I hadn't entirely figured this out. I got myself a turbo, all-wheel-drive Audi A4 for around $30k US (financed) and loved it for trips to the mountains and coastal twisties, long-distance cruising, foul-weather driving etc. I told myself it was practical, but I am sure I was thinking snooty thoughts too. I only put about 40k miles on it in 6 years, and sold it for about $11k US to move to Thailand. Did I get $20k of value out of it (not considering maintanence, fuel, higher insurance, etc.)? I suppose so, just adding up all the holiday trips in 6 years. It was a nice change from my college days where I had a car that cost me more to keep going over a few years than it was worth at resale, even when I was doing the work myself.

Now in BKK, we'll probably join the practical brigade and get a Soluna. I would never pay the amount they want for a new Audi here, at least not unless I reach the point of not counting money at all. And I doubt I would ever buy a used car here, given what I have seen of maintenance practices.

Oh, I thought it would be cool to get a Lotus Elise as a summer play car. :o But sports cards really make so little sense in urban areas. Comfort, safety, operating costs etc. seem more important now.

Thedude, little correction - 2 mil is enough for only for LOCALLY assembled Japanese cars.

For a male in the 30s I think BMW is the most suitable option - there's class, there's power, there's image, there's both showing off and substance. Benz is for people in their 40s.

Last motor show in Muang Tong Thane Subaru showed their new Impreza - Japaneze car of the year. It's got everything a man would desire for, 4.5 mil only.

Back in England i drove a 'cool' car (to me, it was a boy racer mobile though).

Now in Thailand im driving a Toyota Tiger 4x4, and i think its the hight of cool, thuogh i guess most would disagree. Its comfy, goes well, and i never tried off roading with my own vehicle before i got here. Its practical for the city too as not many of the 'cut u up artists' try it with a big bull bar confronting them.

If i had 2 Mill to spend though, i would buy a Subaru WRX. The new model is out of the price range of the boy racers who thrash em, and only subaru service them.

Next car for me is gonna be Ford Escape. It'll keep the wifey happy thuogh i might entertain the idea of an older model Scooby to keep in Phuket!

All BMW's and Benz's are way over there cost price in Thailand. Only idiots are buying them in my humble opinion. Profit on a BMW or a Benz is somewhere around 30-40% of sales price, thats why they advertise so much but still only sell couple thousand each per annum. In particular BMW are spending a fortune on adverts and its the poor sucker that buys the car thats paying for their marketing budget.

I have nothing against the cars, but I do get peeved when I see what rip-off prices they are applying in Thailand and then have the audacity to blame it on import taxes. New 5 series is a prime example. Most markets in Europe, it was on a par with old model, but in Thailand it goes up 25-30% in retail price.

Evo, new Subaru WRX is 2.2 mil, over the requested cut off price for cool cars.

I don't know why people like Ford Escape. It is NOT cool in any way. Even 3.0l engine will not help. It looks ten years older than any other new car - Mazda, Mitsubishi, Toyota, even Honda. Forget the European makes. It's the oldest looking car around, bar Ford Laser which is still on sale.

Subaru isn't a good looker either (except the new Legacy), inside or outside, but is has reputation. Mitsu EVO IX is going to be available through Mitsu dealers and the price will drop to 2mil+. Evo will tune down their engines to avoid 220 hp tax barrier but the tools to re-tune it to the original 380 hp (?) will be officially available.

Still, both Subaru and Evo have "racer" aura about them, they are not for people in their thirties.

My list of cool new cars under two mil - Accord V6, Alpha Romeo 156, VW Passat CDI or Highline, Mazda 2l, Toyota Fortuner, Isuzu Dmax 3l

I have nothing against the cars, but I do get peeved when I see what rip-off prices they are applying in Thailand and then have the audacity to blame it on import taxes.  New 5 series is a prime example.  Most markets in Europe, it was on a par with old model, but in Thailand it goes up 25-30% in retail price.

It's not blaming it on anything. It's part of the sales pitch that you have the right not to pay attention to. Feel free to translate it to "we charge this price because we can... it's not our fault if you're willing to empty your pockets at our dealership."

sincerely,

Heng Yontrakit

Yeah, Mr. Yontrakit, people do have a choice and so they buy Benzes. There's enough leftover for BMW and that is why they are going to be satisfied for many years to come. Playing the second fiddle. If you look into the future, new BMW 3 series sucks. Japanese cars are better. If there is a way to discredit a brand, BMW3 is going to prove it.

to bad the don't have the new ford Mustang in thailand, that's a cool car to drive around town, i think the best choice would be the BMW 3 series, 5 seires are wayyy over price

If you look at the beginning of the thread you will see that the new Mustang is available in Thailand..... :o

imho benz outclasses bmw each and every time.

the average bmw may be able to outperform the average merc most of the time , but how often , if ever , can you drive cars at more than 50% of their maximum potential. all that power is just wasted bluster.

look at a 10 year old benz next to a ten year old bmw , look at a 20 year old benz next to a 20 year old bmw , which would you rather have ?

most benz's have a timeless understated classical look about them , they never seem to age or look dated , only aston martin , jaguars and porsches can touch them on great design.

bmw's look old after 3 years (apart from the second 3 series , which i think still looks great ) and as for the new crop of bmws , they will look terrible in a couple of years , passe and dated.

no bmw is cool , but some mercs are coolness personified.

if you want class and cool , then merc over bmw's every time.

cool in cars is all about the look , a well preserved vw beetle in the right colour can be cooler than the fastest supra or jap boy racer.

a well turned out land rover with some decent wheels can look cool , but a jeep just cannot ever look cool , dont know why.

some of the late 70's early 80's big jap sedans look seriously cool , the toyota crowns and cedrics (nissan ?? ) with wide grilles and twin headlamps. the smaller jap cars look terrible and date quickly.

early toyota landcruisers and nissan patrols are cool and usable here.

and the most usable of the lot...... a black painted nicely chromed tuk-tuk with decent wheels would be unbeatable for short city hops. especially in a city where the traffic moves a bit faster than bangkok.

Heng, I'm curious, what would you buy if you only had 2 mb and no help from the family business?

Is that, what would I do if I only had 2 million Baht left and no other assets? Or is that everything the way it is now, and was contemplating a new car purchase with a 2 million Baht budget?

Chevy Lumina(Holden Commodore) a tad under 2 million coming with a six pack with plenty of horses (2400 odd)  and not many on the road . Of course the 5.7 v8 is preferred but way over 2 million i imagine .

350 slr. being an ex tassie boyI used think like you, but I just bought a new Honda City with VTEC engine, goes like clappers,specially in black with a spoiler ,mags and low profiles(to appease the boy in me ) all for less than 600k ,and it does 16 kpl around Chiang Mai.

Heng, I'm curious, what would you buy if you only had 2 mb and no help from the family business?

Is that, what would I do if I only had 2 million Baht left and no other assets? Or is that everything the way it is now, and was contemplating a new car purchase with a 2 million Baht budget?

Heng, what i mean simply is what car would you buy with just a 2 mb budget, ceteris paribus.

Heng, what i mean simply is what car would you buy with just a 2 mb budget, ceteris paribus.

I hope Heng Yontakrit chooses his cars better than the Yontakrit dealerships look after their customers and their relationships with the suppliers. What is it now:

BMW - Gone to self distribution

VW - Going to self distribution as quickly as they get out of the Yontakrit contract

Seat - Same as VW

Audi - Same as VW

What does that leave:

Kia and err, well they do have a BMW dealership, and I think they have also PSA (Citroen etc)

Dude, in that case I can't think of any car that I would buy, as that 2mb cap is a bit limiting. I already have my "basic" transport, and "comfortable" transport...... so if we could raise that budget to 3mb, then it'd be importing a Mustang GT from Texas, as I don't own a "just for fun" sports car. For 4mb, I'd make it a Saleen Mustang GT (I assuming Saleen is still in business).

For myself, it's not really an enjoyable drive unless I can drive on the left side of the car.

:D

thanks all for the ideas.  i like Terdsak's Ford Escape option, good horsepower for the price, and also practical for Bkk roads.  Although i am a bit concerned about the Ford quality.  an ex-girlfriend drove a Ford and i remember it starting to produce plastic rattling noises after only a few months.

i'm inclined to avoid the old japanese supercars suggested by some as they are likely to have been thrashed to bits and you just cant be sure of all the aftermarket stuff beneath the bonet....but then if i were in my mid 20s maybe i might be tempted.

i've also been looking at second hand beemers, even though prices come in on the high end of the budget, they are well built and do tend to keep their value well after the initial depreciation. 

any other suggestions?

Depends on whether a standard or modified car is your thing and from which decade? Can't beat Japanse cars for reliability and if it's modified then just make sure all the bits are from the manufacturers associated or approved tuning company. TRD for Toyota, Ralliart for Mitsubishi, Prodrive for Subura, etc.

I have run various modified Toyota road and rally cars for 30 years and the cost for replacement parts has been negligible.

If you want a classic car then the Datsun 240Z will always attract attention but not so sure about the aircon situation. For a modern car then I'd go for a Lexus IS200 every time as they can easily be tuned to 200bhp and are civilised with it as well. TRD bodykit parts are also available. They don't take up much space either so easy to drive in BKK.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have direct experience re: Alfa Romeo service in Bangkok? Any comments on Alfa 156 reliability in such a hot climate?

Man ... what a sexy car ... and, unobtanium in the USA which makes it that much more of a tease .... hmmm, come to think of it, I feel that way a lot when I'm in Bangkok. :o