Songkran -- Boon For Chiang Mai Tourist Industry

george

Songkran -- boon for Chiang Mai tourist industry

chiangmai.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- Hotels in Thailand's northern city of Chiang Mai are nearly fully book for the forthcoming Songkran festival -- the kingdom's traditional New Year.

With two weeks to go until Songkran, 80 percent of the city’s hotel rooms are already booked.

More than five hundred baht is expected to be

spent in Chiang Mai during the festive holidays, according to local authorities.

The number of local and foreign tourists visiting Chiang Mai province during the Songkran festival, 13-15 April, is likely to increase by nearly 20

percent over last year, the director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) regional office Junapong Saranark, told TNA.

Asian tourists have begun to visit Chiang Mai again.

They are returning to Chiang Mia after the tsunami disaster last December, said Mr. Junapong.

More tourists are also expected to visit the province during Songkran after the recent TAT-sponsored tourism road show to Malaysia.

The TAT plans to organise further road shows in Taiwan and Hong Kong, which offer direct flights to Chiang Mai.

The TAT is also cooperating with some airlines to promote tourism through spa activities and golf tournaments.

The TAT hopes to attract more than four million tourists to visit Chiang Mai this year.

They estimate this would generate more than 40 billion baht.

--TNA 2005-03-26

Songkran -- boon for Chiang Mai tourist industry

chiangmai.jpg

More than five hundred baht is expected to be

spent in Chiang Mai during the festive holidays, according to local authorities.

Who are they expecting? Israeli backpackers?

Looks like I am in for an expensive time this year!!! :o

500 bath, I'm on my way :D