Going From Heathrow To Bangkok With £30k

kscotland

Carrying cash like that is risky.

Come with a small amount, open a bank account then tell your home bank to TT the money over.

Make sure they send your home currency and let the exchange be done in Thailand.

Much better rates, :)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an ex-IRS agent, not an expert. Therefore my 'constructive' advice was to point out the danger in taking advice from folks who don't know. But for example, I've had numerous bank accounts here and never had a work permit.

Surely you are not suggesting that you need a work permit to open a bank account. That's pure myth.

It is plain to see that peaceblondie is reaffirming that you do not need a work permit.

All you need is a valid visa.

I'm an ex-IRS agent, not an expert. Therefore my 'constructive' advice was to point out the danger in taking advice from folks who don't know. But for example, I've had numerous bank accounts here and never had a work permit.

Surely you are not suggesting that you need a work permit to open a bank account. That's pure myth.

It is plain to see that peaceblondie is reaffirming that you do not need a work permit.

Maybe you are right, but the rely wasn't that plain to me.

Maybe you are right, but the rely wasn't that plain to me.

There is a lot of confusion about this. I applied to several banks in BKK a couple of years ago, and they all told me "no can do without a work permit".

Then I went to Hua Hin, and went to the Bangkok Bank with my wife (as she banks with them), and was told the same story when I asked about opening an account. But then the woman started chatting with the wife, found out she is an accountant, talked shop a bit with her and then produced the forms and opened an account for me. :) So I dunno.

As for the OP, I thought I'd got on to that thread about "best stories heard in a bar" by mistake...

Then I went to Hua Hin, and went to the Bangkok Bank with my wife (as she banks with them), and was told the same story when I asked about opening an account. But then the woman started chatting with the wife, found out she is an accountant, talked shop a bit with her and then produced the forms and opened an account for me. :) So I dunno.

As for the OP, I thought I'd got on to that thread about "best stories heard in a bar" by mistake...

Is this the story ?

It's a good one actually.

Agreed, the saest and most cost effective way. The othe ris to leave it in yout UK account, get an ATM /debit card on the account. Go to Thailand, open an accountand withdraw by cash advance at the Thai bank in baht ( no fees) from your UK account. Deposit to Thai bank account. Same result. Legal.

Except if you do it that way, you'll have to pay 1.5% minimum which on GBP 10-20K is a lot of money just going down the toilet!

1.5% of what.. - where is that charged. I have used this system under advice from my lawyers and my bankers for many years.

It is legal and is doesnt cost anything.

The baht exchange rate her ein Thailand is always much better than in UK (same for other currencies.)

So what are you talking about pls? :)

ive been told about this,i have a halifax and nationwide debit card,how much can you with draw from cash advance from your account in baht at ant one time .I know from atms from out side usually 10,000 baht,is there a maximum amount , or does this depend on your bank.Halifax is £600 from counter each day so will this be the same in thailand.Any advise cheers :D

Agreed, the saest and most cost effective way. The othe ris to leave it in yout UK account, get an ATM /debit card on the account. Go to Thailand, open an accountand withdraw by cash advance at the Thai bank in baht ( no fees) from your UK account. Deposit to Thai bank account. Same result. Legal.

Except if you do it that way, you'll have to pay 1.5% minimum which on GBP 10-20K is a lot of money just going down the toilet!

1.5% of what.. - where is that charged. I have used this system under advice from my lawyers and my bankers for many years.

The baht exchange rate her ein Thailand is always much better than in UK (same for other currencies.)

So what are you talking about pls? :D

ive been told about this,i have a halifax and nationwide debit card,how much can you with draw from cash advance from your account in baht at ant one time .I know from atms from out side usually 10,000 baht,is there a maximum amount , or does this depend on your bank.Halifax is £600 from counter each day so will this be the same in thailand.Any advise cheers :D

I don't understand any of this. Particularly the 'withdraw by cash advance' bit. Yes what are you talking about?

Regarding moving money into a Thai account while abroad this is easily done with a phone call to the foreign bank couple of security questions and bank details in Thailand including the SWIFT code of the Thai bank. Usually cash appears within 3 days. No limit on the amount in my experience. Costs vary depending upon amount transferred and how quickly you need the cash.

What is this 'free' cash advance thing? :)

What's likely to happen is two things:

If you get found carrying that kind of cash at Heathrow you will be required to explain where it came from, produce receipts etc and it will almost certainly be taken away from you until you do produce those things - you are aware that the police deploy sniffer dogs at Heathrow to detect these things and that security staff at x-ray are also on the lookout. Secondly, assuming you make it Bangkok intact you will be required to declare the money at your point of entry otherwise you will not be allowed to take it back out of the country at a later date - that declaration process involves letting Immigration staff see the money, not something I would wish to do. You then have to get from the airport to a bank, in one piece and hope that Immigration staff or someone else involved in the declaration process hasn't set you up for a knock on the head or worse. Finally, you will need to deposit the money into a bank and bank officials will no doubt flag the fact that such a large deposit is being made etc etc.. No my friend, I personally wouldn't do any part of that, none what so ever, best you just stick it under your mattress in blighty or better still, put the money into your UK bank!!!.

those dogs are dam good i had £100 in back pocket and it came straight to me at Birmingham airport. i opened Thai Bank Account years ago on tourist visa. now have 2 one with bangkok bank and ayattaya (yellow bank) tourist visa was never a problem, seems to help if you offer to open savings account with them as well as ordinary, staff are under pressure to open savings accounts, like the ones in the UK they have targets

Edited by NALAK

By the way, what about traveler's checks? Do they make $500 demoninations? Sorry might be a stupid idea, but you do get the same exchange rate on traveler's checks as $100 bills from the US... I'm not sure how that all works coming from the UK. I can get them for free too if I go to AAA. And they're obviously safe as hel_l.

So what are you talking about pls? :)

If you have the funds in a uk bank and draw against a debit card inside the bank here you can draw 500.000 baht for sure as ive done it,.

:D

Of course a banker's going to tell you it's the best way as he's making every time. I thought the 1.5% absorbed charge was common knowledge of overseas withdrawals using debit card. You won't see it on the statement as it's inclusive and zaps the rate a little bit... suggest you read the fine print :D

The common sense way to bring over that amount of dosh is to TT... can't actually believe this thread is still going and people are advising it is best to bring cash over :)

If you have the funds in a uk bank and draw against a debit card inside the bank here you can draw 500.000 baht for sure as ive done it,.

Do the same charges apply from your bank at home as using the ATM outside?

Depends on your card service agreement with your bank.

For me I bank does charge an oseas withdrawal fee, my other bank charges nothin..

ATM cash withdrawals are limited to 20,000 per time.

Yup, but thats becasue the machine will only issue 20 NOTES at a time.

If you need more just go to the counter with card and passport - there is no ATM also when you use the counter.

Beaware = dont use K Bank , thye will only give 20ooo over the counter also. Use BBL, SCB, UOB. :)

:D

Of course a banker's going to tell you it's the best way as he's making every time. I thought the 1.5% absorbed charge was common knowledge of overseas withdrawals using debit card. You won't see it on the statement as it's inclusive and zaps the rate a little bit... suggest you read the fine print :D

The common sense way to bring over that amount of dosh is to TT... can't actually believe this thread is still going and people are advising it is best to bring cash over :)

sorry dont agree.. i get the same rate with no 1.5% deduction, nothing.

having ben here 25+ years Ive tried all systems and , for me, this is the best, cheapest and most effective.

TT is not always the cheapest, can take taime and is subject to more scrutiny, over the counter withdrawals / ATM transactaction are not.

Thanks for your feedback in any event.

Those who bring cash are looking for trouble - both ends.

You need a work permit or student ED visa etc to open a bank account... if you're coming on a tourist visa you won't get a bank account most likely. (I don't know maybe with $30k you will? But when I opened mine they never asked how much I was depositing, just asked to see my work permit or ed visa)

I have opened 3 bank accounts here on Tourist visas, but these rules do change all the time, and differ from bank to bank, and indeed branch to branch.

You do not need a work permit or student visa to open a bank account, but you will need a bank manager who knows the rules. If you fail at one bank try another.