100 Passengers Injured In Train Derailment In Hua Hin

webfact

100 passengers injured in train derailment in Hua Hin

Hua Hin, Prachuap Khirikhan - The Trang-Bangkok train derailed in this seaside town early Monday, injuring some 100 passengers, police said.

The accident happened at about 4:45 am at the Khao Tao station.

Six of 16 cars derails, police said.

The area was hit by heavy rains at the time of the accident.

Rescuers rushed the injured hospitals to nearby hospitals.

Reports by Thai Rath and Matichon that many passengers were killed were being verified.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/05

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE

TRAIN ACCIDENT

Train derails in Hua Hin, killing at least 7 passengers

A train bounding for Bangkok from Trang derailed in Prachuab Khiri Khan on Monday morning, killing at least seven passengers and injuring many others.

The accident happened at about 4.45am at Khao Tao station in the province's Hua Hin district.

A Nation reporter at the scene said that ten of 15 compartments derailed.

He said that initial investigation showed that at least seven passengers; all women, were killed and about 61 passengers injured. The injured passengers were transferred to hospitals nearby including Pran Buri Hospital.

A doctor said four victims were found outside the compartments while three others were still trapped inside the compartments.

This is the first time that such fatal accident happened in the province.

Reports said that the No 84 train was arriving at Khao Tao station amidst heavy rains.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/05

At least eight dead as train derails in Hua Hun

BANGKOK, Oct 5 (TNA) - A crowded passenger train route number 84 Bangkok-Trang which was enroute from the southern province of Trang to Bangkok was derailed at Thailand’s resort town of Hua Hin in Prachuab Khiri Kan, killing at least eight passengers, while scores of others were injured.

Six of the train’s 16 carriages derailed about 100 metres from Khao Tao Station in Hua Hin early Monday morning in heavy rain.

Some carriages were blocking the track and the locomotive was badly damaged. Eight persons were found dead at the scene and more than 70 passengers were injured and transferred to nearby hospitals.

The State Railways of Thailand southern route trains were temporarily suspended because of the incident, leaving many passengers stranded.

The cause of the derailment is not yet known, but it was believed that damaged rails may be at fault. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009/10/05

I heard the crash this morning.....but I did not know what it was until the breaking news arrived from Thaivisa.....wow..I live very close to where it happened.

I have never looked at the railway tracks but if they are anything like the roads around here I'm surprised anything would run on them....

I would not be surprised if part of the track did not get washed out by the rain...a big piece of road fell into a canal just down the road from me...and the railway runs very close to it.. nobody repairs or maintains anything it seems.....even in a "high end" tourist resort.....

I wonder if this will change anything.....wishful thinking ???

Caused entirely by lack of proper maintenance of track and sleepers, as we all know. State railways of Thailand are bankrupt and lose the counrty millions of baht every year. The only answer, of course, is massive investment but if they don't, rail travel in Thailand will be become more and more hazardous. It's such a shame because the railways in Thailand are such an under-used resource. Take Bangkok-Pattaya for example. Despite an 8 lane motorway and buses trauling up and down every 30 mins or less, we still have one train a day (!) in each direction and the departure from Bangkok leaves so early that it misses the arrival times of the long distance overnight trains from north and south. So it's impossible to travel from. say, Chiangmai to Bangkok overnight and then on to Pattaya in the morning. Wonder which brain box thought that one out!

UPDATE

Hua Hin train accident death toll rises to 10

The death toll in the train derailment at Hua Hin early Monday rose to 10, State Railway of Thailand Governor Yutthana Thapcharoen said.

He said seven victims were women and two men. The other body had yet to be retrieved from the train wreckage.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/05

TRAIN ACCIDENT

Death toll of train accident in Hua Hin rises to 10

Death toll of the train derailment in Prachuab Khiri Khan province rises to ten while southern trains to Bangkok were all suspended.

Yutthana Thapcharoen, governor of State Railway of Thailand, said seven of the victims were women while two others were men. There was still one body trapped inside a compartment.

He said 65 injured passengers were already sent to hospitals nearby.

A train heading to Bangkok derailed near Khao Tao station in the province's Hua Hin district at about 4.45am reportedly amidst heavy rains. The train left Trang at 5.20pm Sunday and was scheduled to arrive Bangkok at 8.25am Monday.

Yutthana said his office suspended all southern trains to Bangkok for a day and will evaluate the situation later. "But I believe that it would take more than one day," he said.

Rescue trains from Bangsue and Thungsong stations of Bangkok and Thungsong station of Nakhon Si Thammarat province to help lift the derailed trains.

Reports said that the No 84 train was arriving at Khao Tao station amidst heavy rains.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/05

I have a couple of questions....

It is said that the derailment occurred 100 metres from a station.

It would appear that the train did not stop nor was it scheduled to stop at this station otherwise at a distance of 100 metres out from stopping it should not have been traveling at much more than walking pace.

If traveling at walking pace the carriages would (or should have) merely have toppled off the track and should not have resulted in ten fatalities and certainly not 100 injured.

Perhaps both the driver and engineer were taking a nap.

On the state of the track (s) TIT

Edited by john b good

My condolences to the friends and family of the victims. It's very sad when public transport isn't maintained.

I actually love trains. It's my favorite way to travel and I have often used them in Thailand. I may have to rethink that.

our caretaker,woke us with the news about the crash, really tragic, we use thai rail quite often , and it is about on a par with queensland country rail as far as maintenance and accidnts are concerned,not even worth mentioning UK rail, hope the crash site gets cleared up quick, 1st Infantry Regiment are there in force helping, so all should becleared soon :)

Horrible accident. Have yet to travel by train here, but as stated in comparison to the roads it should be safer to the buses...doesn't say much however.

Not true.

It is, also in Thailand, safer to be a train passenger.

Railway carriages are immensely strong compared to a bus frame.

Just have a look at the pictures of the accident, carriages all over the place, mostly structurally sound

And compare those to pictures from bus accidents.

Also, how many passengers were in the train, 1000 ,1500?

Compare this with bus accidents.

If this would have been a bus accident, with the same amount of passengers, there would be a much bigger number of victims.

Although, as an ex railwayman I am sometimes slightly disturbed by the condition of the railways over here, I will choose the train any time.

That said, some parts of the lines are good to very good (even double aligned) and sometimes parts are hopeless.

With some extra investment in track renewing and maintenance the railways could become a major transporter of passengers and freight.

Edited by hansnl

Caused entirely by lack of proper maintenance of track and sleepers, as we all know. State railways of Thailand are bankrupt and lose the counrty millions of baht every year. The only answer, of course, is massive investment but if they don't, rail travel in Thailand will be become more and more hazardous. It's such a shame because the railways in Thailand are such an under-used resource. Take Bangkok-Pattaya for example. Despite an 8 lane motorway and buses trauling up and down every 30 mins or less, we still have one train a day (!) in each direction and the departure from Bangkok leaves so early that it misses the arrival times of the long distance overnight trains from north and south. So it's impossible to travel from. say, Chiangmai to Bangkok overnight and then on to Pattaya in the morning. Wonder which brain box thought that one out!

I would agree that the railways need a cash injection. In past years I've used them between Bangkok and Chiang Mai, Surat Thani to Bangkok, as well as between Bangkok and Hua Hin or down to Hat Yai. Good service, quite reliable and inexpensive.

I can't agree that there was a failure in respect to the connection times for the train to Pattaya, after all most of the passengers from the north (Chiang Mai) are Thai going back to Bangkok, few of them would be looking to go on to Pattaya.

Horrible accident. Have yet to travel by train here, but as stated in comparison to the roads it should be safer to the buses...doesn't say much however.

Not true.

It is, also in Thailand, safer to be a train passenger.

Railway carriages are immensely strong compared to a bus frame.

Just have a look at the pictures of the accident, carriages all over the place, mostly structurally sound

And compare those to pictures from bus accidents.

Also, how many passengers were in the train, 1000 ,1500?

Compare this with bus accidents.

If this would have been a bus accident, with the same amount of passengers, there would be a much bigger number of victims.

Although, as an ex railwayman I am sometimes slightly disturbed by the condition of the railways over here, I will choose the train any time.

That said, some parts of the lines are good to very good (even double aligned) and sometimes parts are hopeless.

With some extra investment in track renewing and maintenance the railways could become a major transporter of passengers and freight.

Learn to read.

Looks very nasty indeed and my condolences to those involved.

As for people asking for a cash injection for the railways, it gets one every year from the taxpayers to pay its ongoing losses. It is a crying shame that political manipulation over the years to benefit road transport has meant that the rail system has been massively neglected.

Somehow i predicted this accident was going to happen some time ago. I used to travel that route frequently and I remember many places where the train would throw you side to side and the tracks would make horrible clanging noises. I put it down to poor maintenance although they had replaced many section of track alone that way.

How does onr travel safley in this country?......Of late there is a mad scramble to repair or rather fix all the cheater roads..Cheater roads are the ones that have been built to a sub-standard level with the local goverment scamming the cost and pocketing a huge amount.

The Buses are in horrid condition and the drivers even worse.

Trains...was just a matter of time.

Kind of like knowing a guy who never brushes his teeth or uses deoderant.....BUT ownes a restaurant that everybody eats at.................

UPDATE

TRAIN ACCIDENT

Train derails in Hua Hin, killing at least 7 passengers

A train bounding for Bangkok from Trang derailed in Prachuab Khiri Khan on Monday morning, killing at least seven passengers and injuring many others.

The accident happened at about 4.45am at Khao Tao station in the province's Hua Hin district.

A Nation reporter at the scene said that ten of 15 compartments derailed.

He said that initial investigation showed that at least seven passengers; all women, were killed and about 61 passengers injured. The injured passengers were transferred to hospitals nearby including Pran Buri Hospital.

A doctor said four victims were found outside the compartments while three others were still trapped inside the compartments.

This is the first time that such fatal accident happened in the province.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/05

GOD is with them now and forever.