Marriage Visa....

Been married to a thai woman for a few years already :o but rarely spend more than 7 months a year in the kingdom....Always come on a tourist visa, but lately have been wondering if i should bother or not applying for a marriage visa for that short period of time (6-7 months) Just curious if it is required by the law or not :D

Cheers

You should feel free to apply for a multi entry non immigrant O visa which would allow you 90 day stay on each entry. There is no need to obtain a marriage extension of stay if you are not living here full time but if you meet the requirements and can arrange to be in Thailand each year at the same time to renew it you could do so. People looking for future PR need three years in this status to apply. If you are working offshore in a foreign country they may not issue the multi entry type but many consulates in western countries do and Penang should be willing. What you normally need is a copy of your marriage certificate and id card of wife to help show relationship is ongoing.

But there is nothing wrong with the path you have been following if it suits you; although you do have a little more legal status with a non immigrant visa.

You should feel free to apply for a multi entry non immigrant O visa which would allow you 90 day stay on each entry.  There is no need to obtain a marriage extension of stay if you are not living here full time but if you meet the requirements and can arrange to be in Thailand each year at the same time to renew it you could do so.  People looking for future PR need three years in this status to apply.  If you are working offshore in a foreign country they may not issue the multi entry type but many consulates in western countries do and Penang should be willing.  What you normally need is a copy of your marriage certificate and id card of wife to help show relationship is ongoing.

But there is nothing wrong with the path you have been following if it suits you; although you do have a little more legal status with a non immigrant visa.

Thanx 4 ur answer lopburi3...Just correct me if i'm wrong, though....A multiple entry non imm o visa is valid for a year, right? So if i'm in Thailand for 7 months, then back to Canada, i'll have to be back here within 5 months to reactivate my visa, right? Or , can u get a multiple entry for 6 months like the tourists visa or are they just issued for a year? The money requirements aren't a problem for me, but the time frame might be....

Cheers..

The multi entry O non immigrant is valid for a period of one year but is issued overseas and can be obtained anytime prior to a visit if it runs out.

What you have to time is the one year extensions of stay that you obtain here in Thailand. For these you enter on say 1 April and apply for extension about June 15 - you then wait about 45 days for approval if done in Bangkok and are allowed to stay until March 31 the following year. So you need to be here some time in March for a period of 45 days or more each year to allow the extension process to take place.

The multi entry O non immigrant is valid for a period of one year but is issued overseas and can be obtained anytime prior to a visit if it runs out.

What you have to time is the one year extensions of stay that you obtain here in Thailand.  For these you enter on say 1 April and apply for extension about June 15 - you then wait about 45 days for approval if done in Bangkok and are allowed to stay until March 31 the following year.  So you need to be here some time in March for a period of 45 days or more each year to allow the extension process to take place.

Ok, so here's the scoop: I will leave Thailand next month..Will apply for a non imm o visa in August in canada and will enter Thailand beginning of September....Will stay here until end of April next year, then back to Canada again..Will re-enter thailand early September again next year...

So here's where i need clarification: At that time of re-entering thailand, is that when i need to apply for a one year extension? Or should i come in late august?

Or ......

Cheers

Arrival time on first entry will not matter was you should try to plan the renewal to be sometime in the middle, and immigration will want to do it during the last 30 days of a 90 day stay as normal policy.

So arrive normal time early September on 90 day first entry of multi visa. Depart on vise run a month early and make second entry early December. Early February request extension of stay - should get approval mid March and stay will be valid until early December (when you will be here next time and can make a new application. Just remember to obtain a re entry permit before you leave once you request the extension as your multi entry visa will not be required again.

Arrival time on first entry will not matter was you should try to plan the renewal to be sometime in the middle, and immigration will want to do it during the last 30 days of a 90 day stay as normal policy.

So arrive normal time early September on 90 day first entry of multi visa.  Depart on vise run a month early and make second entry early December.  Early February request extension of stay - should get approval mid March and stay will be valid until early December (when you will be here next time and can make a new application.  Just remember to obtain a re entry permit before you leave once you request the extension as your multi entry visa will not be required again.

Thank u so much 4 that valuable info, lopburi 3, just a last question, though...Do u mean that i will be able to ask within thailand for a year extension before"early december " when my application of stay will expire? And a t that time, i guess i should transfer the 400k required again? just don't like keeping too much of my dollars in bath..never know....

Thanx

Yes. In following years you will always make application about mid-late November (within last 30 days of allowed stay) and approval should be just after New Years (which should be right in middle of your normal stay here).

The money can be transferred at any time and does not have to be in one go - in fact they probably prefer to see a few transactions of overseas each year and a normal outflow from the account to cover expenses for wife. What you will require each time is the full money in account (and this may be checked during review process so should remain above minimum for that time period) and these should show foreign origin such as foreign wire transfer rather than local deposit; letter from bank giving account balance within a week of application (normal cost 200 baht), you and wife presenting yourselves for interview and copies of relevant documents. So it is a trip to bank for about an hour to obtain letter and then application/interview at immigration for about 1-2 hours and a return for final stamp 45 days later.

Yes.  In following years you will always make application about mid-late November (within last 30 days of allowed stay) and approval should be just after New Years (which should be right in middle of your normal stay here).

The money can be transferred at any time and does not have to be in one go - in fact they probably prefer to see a few transactions of overseas each year and a normal outflow from the account to cover expenses for wife.  What you will require each time is the full money in account (and this may be checked during review process so should remain above minimum for that time period) and these should show foreign origin such as foreign wire transfer rather than local deposit; letter from bank giving account balance within a week of application (normal cost 200 baht), you and wife presenting yourselves for interview and copies of relevant documents.  So it is a trip to bank for about an hour to obtain letter and then application/interview at immigration for about 1-2 hours and a return for final stamp 45 days later.

Your detailed information is much appreciated, Lopburi3.....

Thanx a lot :o