Is Ram Hospital As Bad As They Say?

Ulysses G.

There have been a lot of remarks about RAM Hospital and Dental Clinic prescribing unneeded medicines, selling very expensive medicine, and padding bills, but I just got a root canal done and they did their usual excellent job and the doctor recommended I buy pain medicine at an outside pharmacy, "as it is cheaper" and did not prescribe anything else.

I wanted something stronger so I insisted on Tylenol with codeine which drug stores can't sell, and that was 10 baht a tablet for the real deal which does not sound out of line to me.

I'm not that familiar with the hospital, but the RAM Dental Clinic have always been fair with me.

Bearing in mind that visiting dentists is one of life's more dubious pleasures, the clinic at Ram hospital for me is excellent. Very professional from the moment i arrive to the minute i leave.

I always recommend the place to anyone that wants to know. Fantastic.

Can't say the same about the rest of the hospital, too inconsistent. You might be lucky to get a really good doctor, or you could get the opposite.

But the dental clinic has been consistently outstanding for at least the five years i've been going there. I don't think a dental clinic anywhere could score higher.

I was always scared to death to go to the dentist in the US and it seemed that even the smallest cavity would cause lots of pain.

I have had 2 root canals, a wisdom tooth removed and many dental cavities filled at RAM over the years and I can honestly not remember being in pain even one time. Today, I ended up not having to take even one pain pill after being in the chair for two hours. I still find that amazing.

I am glad to see that other people appreciate them too!

I agree, the dental clinic at Ram is great. The dentist I've visited (a woman) has a very light touch and I've never experienced any pain. In the U.S. I've had problems with dentists using a heavy-hand which wasn't evident during the treatment because of the numbing. But, the next day I felt like someone had socked me in the jaw. Not here! Plus, they're well organized at the dental clinic.

I wish I could say the same about the rest of the hospital. For anything more serious than an immunization (or dental work), I'm heading down to Bangkok to Bumrungrad.

The cardiac unit at Ram is also very good, or at least the resident cardio is, has a great reputation and is well respected internationally. I can also recommend the skin/dermatology dept, first rate, in fact, I can't recall a bad experience at Ram or a time when I was unhappy with their service or quality of care. Give me time and I'll no doubt be able to pass comment on most of the departments at Ram!

I've have had consistently good care and service from Ram, regardless of the department I've needed. It's true that they are a bit more expensive than some others, but not to the point of being prohibitive. I don't mind paying an extra few baht for the extra good service. Sometimes I've felt as if I was being given 'special consideration' although I was probably just pleased at not having to sit and wait around forever before being cared for.

I had a family member who had major surgery at Ram and the medical care and nursing care were excellent. Let's face it, you can have a less than satisfactory medical experience anywhere, t'is the practice of the medicinal arts despite claims to the contrary. As for dentistry, partly as a consequence of the legacy of Dr. Lamberton, Chiang Mai has many excellent dental clinics.

I was always scared to death to go to the dentist in the US and it seemed that even the smallest cavity would cause lots of pain.

I have had 2 root canals, a wisdom tooth removed and many dental cavities filled at RAM over the years and I can honestly not remember being in pain even one time. Today, I ended up not having to take even one pain pill after being in the chair for two hours. I still find that amazing.

I am glad to see that other people appreciate them too!

I think most people on this forum probably get their teeth fixed by return post :) .

can you recommend any particular dentists at ram or elsewhere?

Dr. Parima Uttaarapong!!!! She also has a specialty in Oral Medicine. Excellent dentist for all my work. Will need corown repair and dentures soon. She will be the one. Hope this helps. If you walk in and request a Dr., if they don't have any opening and its NOT an emergency, stick with an appointment for the Dr. You requested.

I wish I could say the same about the rest of the hospital. For anything more serious than an immunization (or dental work), I'm heading down to Bangkok to Bumrungrad.

Not very reassuring for one,possibly,just about to have a gall bladder removed by the very competent sounding Doctor Ekachai - General Surgery.I was recently in there for a few days with a gall bladder infection, which Maharaj Emergency Dept. incompetently failed to detect, and was very satisfied indeed with the treatment. I do suspect these umbrella type denunciations are probably misleading.

I think most people on this forum probably get their teeth fixed by return post :D .

Ha ha lol :D:D:):D Bugger that tickled me :D I don't know if it was really that funny or i just needed a good laugh, but thanks anyway :D

Good to know about the RAM dental clinic. I'm after a good clean and was umming and ahhrring as to where to go. Anyone know what time they shut and whether or not it's an appointment system?

Thanks

Aitch

can you recommend any particular dentists at ram or elsewhere?

Dr. Parima Uttaarapong!!!! She also has a specialty in Oral Medicine. Excellent dentist for all my work. Will need corown repair and dentures soon. She will be the one. Hope this helps. If you walk in and request a Dr., if they don't have any opening and its NOT an emergency, stick with an appointment for the Dr. You requested.

I cannot recommend you go and see Dr Uttarapong, every time a new poster goes to see her that makes it even more difficult for me to get an appointment so please, go find another dentist. :) But seriously, the good doctor is one of the best.

The Ram dental clinic is outrageously expensive.

For a root canal they wanted 2000bht a visit for 4 or 5 visits.

This was more expensive than treatment in the UK.

Comparing this to an outside clinic, they charge about 400bht a visit.

I talked with some Thai friends who said "different price at RAM for ferrang", go elsewhere.

I talked with some Thai friends who said "different price at RAM for ferrang", go elsewhere.

I've had root canals done at Ram and both of them involved only two visits, can't remember the cost but not expensive by my standards - no idea how much things cost in the UK these days but will be surprised if one can walk into a private dentist in the UK and get root canal treatment started the same day, with the same standards of care and at a similar cost. No doubt it is possible to find a local dentist in Chiang Mai who would perform a root canal for less cost, not sure though that I would want to take that sort of risk with my mouth, yours maybe but not mine.

Quite a few visits are free when they are making sure that there is no infection left in the tooth before adding the crown, but I doubt if UK prices are anywhere near RAM prices. The prices in the US are far higher with no free visits and they tend to rush because it is so expensive.

I rather pay a little more at a place like RAM than save some money with a place that cuts corners and does a lousy job because their customers can not afford good dental care.

Quite a few visits are free when they are making sure that there is no infection left in the tooth before adding the crown, but I doubt if UK prices are anywhere near RAM prices. The prices in the US are far higher with no free visits and they tend to rush because it is so expensive.

I rather pay a little more at a place like RAM than save some money with a place that cuts corners and does a lousy job because their customers can not afford good dental care.

From what I understand UG, UK dentists in private practice are comparably expensive to the US these days, if not more so in many cases and NHS (free) dentists are almost impossible to find since nobody wants to practice for such relatively low wages!

I've had root canals done at Ram and both of them involved only two visits, can't remember the cost but not expensive by my standards - no idea how much things cost in the UK these days but will be surprised if one can walk into a private dentist in the UK and get root canal treatment started the same day, with the same standards of care and at a similar cost. No doubt it is possible to find a local dentist in Chiang Mai who would perform a root canal for less cost, not sure though that I would want to take that sort of risk with my mouth, yours maybe but not mine.

One thing Chiang Mai is not short of is competent dentists. So that is a bit of an overblown statement. Anyone considering major dental work should do their research, ask around, peruse past TV threads in the C.M. forum, etc. Some dentists in C.M. are over-priced while others are reasonable. Do your homework, shop around and you will find a good dentist. There are 3 or 4 dentists that are frequently mentioned as favorites on this forum.

I had a root canal done several years ago at a basic Thai style clinic. 6,000 Baht and 3 visits. If you look at the charges on-line of other clinics you will find most in this price range. For example, Fortune Dental > 6,000 - 9,000 Baht. A site showing the average cost for Thailand came out to about 9,000 Baht (4 canals - molar). Another site shows Mission Hospital in BKK > First visit - 5,050 Baht, 2nd visit - 1,500. And I've visited quite a few clinic websites and generally around 6,000 Baht is an average. So, where is this 400 Baht/visit for root canal at? :)

One thing Chiang Mai is not short of is competent dentists. So that is a bit of an overblown statement. Anyone considering major dental work should do their research, ask around, peruse past TV threads in the C.M. forum, etc. Some dentists in C.M. are over-priced while others are reasonable. Do your homework, shop around and you will find a good dentist. There are 3 or 4 dentists that are frequently mentioned as favorites on this forum.

Well no it's not really overblown, it's just that everything is relative, especially the price of these services relative to quality and peace of mind. If the Ram cost for a RC is say Baht 9,000 and someone says they can do it for Baht 2,000, I would be highly suspicious. But if another poster wants to recommend another professional dentist with a good reputation who will do the work for say Baht 6,000 or so, then great, go for it. Somewhere along the line there's a fair value price for these things and I've no idea what it might be for a RC in CM but I'm fairly sure it's not Baht 2,000 and yes, Baht 9,000 may be a little too much, for me however, confidence in my dentist and the surroundings is very important and well worth the premium.

I'm curious as to what excellent service and care can be bought at C.M. Ram that's not available at a some other hospitals in the city? I would match McCormick Hospital's Dental dept. against Ram any day and come out with just as much satisfaction for a price considerably less. That's for a root canal and crown, baring no complications. Yep! I've been to both and won't be going back to Ram unless my life depends on it. They've got foreigners in this city by the nostrils and we're eating it up and happily paying the high prices.

I'm curious as to what excellent service and care can be bought at C.M. Ram that's not available at a some other hospitals in the city? I would match McCormick Hospital's Dental dept. against Ram any day and come out with just as much satisfaction for a price considerably less. That's for a root canal and crown, baring no complications. Yep! I've been to both and won't be going back to Ram unless my life depends on it. They've got foreigners in this city by the nostrils and we're eating it up and happily paying the high prices.

If you like McCormick and think it's cheaper, use it, but don't paint Ram in such an unsavory light because it's not warranted, each to their own and how much they can afford.