Internet That Works

garyh

Has anybody found an interent service provider that is 100 % reliable???

I need a solid reliable internet connection with good ping, huge download speed is not required, just something that works as I am a Forex Scalper.

This is for Chiang Mai area and I am prepared to pay for a premium service.

Solid reliable internet connection and Thailand somehow don't go together (unfortunately).

Average ping rates to servers in Europe/USA is about 250ms-350ms, while servers in Asia may yield similar if not slighly better results. I don't think you'll achieve anything lower than 120ms outside Thailand. This is based on what I've seen. These numbers are by no means consistent and will vary from ISP to ISP.

Yes reliability is a problem.

If u are trading forex its better to have 2 seperate ISP True & 3BB so if one is down there will be another to play with :)

Get a 3G / Edge card for extreme Backup.

Happy Trading and lot of pips :D

Edited by tariq786

Yes reliability is a problem.

If u are trading forex its better to have 2 seperate ISP True & 3BB so if one is down there will be another to play with :)

Get a 3G / Edge card for extreme Backup.

Happy Trading and lot of pips :D

I have a Billion Modem that has a 3G with a sim card as backup but would prefer to have this option only for rare events.

Like Santa, does not exist :)

We have KSC Commercial, not wonderfully fast (512k) but, since I discovered that resetting the router every night solved many issues, very reliable (cost = 100 Baht for a cheap time-clock).

I only need email and browsing (I was using 56k dial-up for the 1st year here since ADSL wasn't available).

We have KSC Commercial, not wonderfully fast (512k) but, since I discovered that resetting the router every night solved many issues, very reliable (cost = 100 Baht for a cheap time-clock).

I only need email and browsing (I was using 56k dial-up for the 1st year here since ADSL wasn't available).

What sort of modem/router are you using and do you know why you need to reset it?

What sort of modem/router are you using and do you know why you need to reset it?

It's a cheapie Billion as provided by KSC. It tends to overheat (so fans installed) and on the odd occasion that the connection went down a power-cycle always fixed it, so I decided to pre-empt the service call. In 3 years since using the timer I've not called KSC service :D

Last month, I spent a week in Korea. Desktop in the hotel room with internet connection. Seems to be totally normal in that country.

The internet was fast. 80Mbps download, 20Mbps upload. First I thought, that's of course within Seoul only. Nope.

Korea, Japan, Taiwan, China and Russia: all blistering fast.

HongKong: 30Mbps download speed.

Europe: roughly 25Mbps download speed.

I initially tested this with speedtest.net and then I checked the countries by downloading large files of servers in those countries. It really is fast.

Only once you try a server in Thailand, speeds go back to what we're all used to here. I really thought that the backbones in Asia were just overcrowded, but now I saw myself that the bottleneck actually is Thailand.

Does anyone know where I can buy a 500km marine fiber cable? Singapore has fast internet.....

use TOT line Internet 100Mbps declared speed.

works most of the time for my forex brokers, although sometimes it is very slow.

However, TOT helpline good and have restored efficiency when called re problems

I need a solid reliable internet connection with good ping, huge download speed is not required, just something that works as I am a Forex Scalper.

This is for Chiang Mai area and I am prepared to pay for a premium service.

I use Maxnet Premier and its much slower than I would like for media downloading but its fine for Forex. I trade with Oanda and use Broco for my MT4 charts.

I am not a 1 min chart scalper but definitely trade a lot short term. Mostly the 15 minute chart and I am fine with the performance. Always place a loss stop and important to put the router on a UPS battery backup system.

I just use a cheapo Billion router and the Maxnet Premier plan for 1090 baht.

Maxnet plans

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

I use Maxnet Premier and its much slower than I would like for media downloading but its fine for Forex. I trade with Oanda and use Broco for my MT4 charts.

I am not a 1 min chart scalper but definitely trade a lot short term. Mostly the 15 minute chart and I am fine with the performance. Always place a loss stop and important to put the router on a UPS battery backup system.

I just use a cheapo Billion router and the Maxnet Premier plan for 1090 baht.

Maxnet plans

Oh 15 minute chart is Long long term to me, wouldn't worry you if you had a ping of 15 seconds LOL, download speed is not what matters its ping and actually have a connection.

Thailand might not be the place for you if you need that kind of network quality. They are supposed to be turning up the new Asian American cable in the next few months. That might help download speeds but still probably a fair amount of latency inside Thailand. If anyone can screw it up then Thailand can.

What about Singapore, Shanghai or HK? That's where the serious traders hang their hats.

Trading is trading. If you can trade one chart well really then can trade any chart.

Happy pippin !

I use Maxnet and I'm totally happy with it. I think it's the best I have found so far in Thailand. I live in Rayong but when I lived in Bangkok I used True Internet and I always had problems with them. I pay 1070 Baht/month for Internet. I know they have a 10 mb/s package now for a resonable price. Go to maxnet.co.th to find out more about there internet packages. Here is my speed from speedtest.net:

Test 1

Maxnet

Download: 4.39 Mb/s

Upload: 0.43 Mb/s

Ping: 42ms

Bangkok Server

Test 2

Maxnet

Download: 2.09 Mb/s

Upload: 0.29 Mb/s

Ping: 425ms

Los Angeles, CA Server

Edited by rhino533

586536323.png

586543455.png

JI-NET (2048/512)

For some reason, pings to London have always been high... While ping rates to other servers in Europe average 300ms-350ms.

Yeah I noticed the same thing, London always has a much higher ping than elsewhere (on True anyway).

I've signed signed up to a prodcut from CSLoxinfo called Specific path, appartently it gets over to Europe with the least amount of hops possible. Not cheap at arond 20,000 per moonth for a 1 meg connection, but if it lets me stream video from the UK then it's worth 5 times that to me.

I'll post some tests up when it's installed.

Are you serious now when you say 20.000 (twenty thousand) a month for a 1Mb connection?I am sure that you can have streaming video from the UK,if that is your major requirement, at a fraction of that price.Just grease the right palms.

Edited by basjke

586536323.png

586543455.png

JI-NET (2048/512)

For some reason, pings to London have always been high... While ping rates to other servers in Europe average 300ms-350ms.

Yeah I noticed the same thing, London always has a much higher ping than elsewhere (on True anyway).

I've signed signed up to a prodcut from CSLoxinfo called Specific path, appartently it gets over to Europe with the least amount of hops possible. Not cheap at arond 20,000 per moonth for a 1 meg connection, but if it lets me stream video from the UK then it's worth 5 times that to me.

I'll post some tests up when it's installed.

Do you have any figures for pings to USA? and reports on reliabilty? 20,000 PM is expensive but in my case a bad connection could cost a lot more.

Please also note that it's a G.SHDSL Specific Path connection.

Did you check with Pacnet on their costs as from the last quote I got for a 2x2 G.SHDSL was about the same as your 1x1 with free routers ?

No I didn't, but to be honest the speed is irrelevant as long as it's over 512 - it's all about the latency. It comes with a free Cisco 1761 router.

And I doubt that would have been a Specific Path product, all though obviously I haven't spoken with them.

Tom.

with a 2x2 G.SHDSL you got - a free router, email accounts etc, guaranteed 2mb bkk-germany, free installation etc etc but this was a business promotion 9 months ago .. It maybe cheaper now.

EDIT: I was just told that TOT also have a similar package for 1x1 at approx 16k per month.

Edited by joncl

1.5 meg but totally useless for my requiremnts, ping is way to high.

Tom.

Indeed the ping time are bad, but will not be much better with a 1x1 ether..

Just after 1pm .. with true to london

587078413.png

EDIT:

ping google.co.uk

PING google.co.uk (216.239.59.104) 56(84) bytes of data.

64 bytes from gv-in-f104.google.com (216.239.59.104): icmp_seq=1 ttl=41 time=368 ms

64 bytes from gv-in-f104.google.com (216.239.59.104): icmp_seq=2 ttl=41 time=368 ms

64 bytes from gv-in-f104.google.com (216.239.59.104): icmp_seq=3 ttl=41 time=368 ms

64 bytes from gv-in-f104.google.com (216.239.59.104): icmp_seq=4 ttl=41 time=384 ms

^C

--- google.co.uk ping statistics ---

4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3003ms

rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 368.099/372.477/384.860/7.151 ms

Edited by joncl