Foreign Tourist Police, How Do They Live?

ConfusedFarang

If they are truly volunteers, then how do they live? Most of them look like they aren't old enough to be living off a pension or anything like that. Just curious if they get any other kinds of benefits out of volunteering. It's hard to imagine that some of them work as volunteers full time yet still somehow make a living, and how do they stay in Thailand long term? They must be getting some kind of visa benefits with volunteering or something in order to stay in Thailand. Anyone know?

If they are truly volunteers, then how do they live? Most of them look like they aren't old enough to be living off a pension or anything like that. Just curious if they get any other kinds of benefits out of volunteering. It's hard to imagine that some of them work as volunteers full time yet still somehow make a living, and how do they stay in Thailand long term? They must be getting some kind of visa benefits with volunteering or something in order to stay in Thailand. Anyone know?

In my honest opinion i think that question is just a little too personal.

What ever means they have to live is their business not anyone elses.

In the case of Howard i am sure you will see from his postings he runs a business in pattaya, As for the others not your business.

I think most of them have a business in Thailand run by their thai wifes and family.

Some also own a business outside of Thailand and get money transfered from a foreign bank account.

So its not a big problem I think.

Most of these volunteers are only required to work a few hours per week. Some work more hours if they have the available time, such as if they are retired. I work about 10 hours each week (2 shifts from 7pm - midnight). In between that, I am a very busy software engineer.

So, I do manage to scrape together enough money to occasionally buy food to eat :)

As for visa benefits, the general answer is that there are no visa benefits. After much effort I did manage to get a volunteer stamp in my passport, valid for 2 months and renewable only with the ok from the police boss. Frankly, it was less hassle to get an O visa for the year.

Simon

Backhanders ? :)