Changing Son's Thai Surname, Wrong Translation

gregchambers

When my son's birth was registered at the hospital he took my surname, written in Thai script, although not married to the Thai mother then or now.

It now turns out that it was written incorrectly and on official doc's, bank details etc it manages to only share a passing resemblance to my actual surname. Only the first letter comes out the same but if you have a gruff accent and say it quickly you can sort of see some resemblance to the actual surname.

On the birth certificate the bit with the father's surname is similarly wrongly written and the same as my son's.

The son is now eighteen and I only discovered this when he opened a bank account (not living with them for seven years but supporting the child).

I have managed to get the correct Thai script for my surname but what is the procedure for officially changing a surname in Thailand for a Thai citizen over eighteen? The birth was in Bangkok but the house registration and ID card come from Petchabun province. Just to add to the fun I am in the UK and not speaking to the mother.

get a certified copy of your correctly spelled english and thai names. submit it with a request for name change.... your son will have the correctly spelled first and last name with or without the middle name per your request....

pm me if you have any problem. we did it just over a year ago.

good luck

I feel for you, OP, as I had a similar experience, but was able to rectify it at the time. Took 4 hours of my time, though...

If it's any help to others, when my daughter was registered at the local ampur office, they got her name wrong. I had to return the same day and wait till they closed before the "big hair" woman in charge would deign to use the edit button on the computer. Until that point, the guys/gals in charge wouldn't acknowledge that it was possible to edit an entry made that day. I realised then and there that if it wasn't right the first time, it would be a hassle later.

TiT!

... and stick to your guns!

just as recently as yesterday, at the driver license office, the girl asked that i wrote out my own name in english AND THAI .... LOL

so i did and pronto.... came the printout for the photo session which took no more than 10 min....

they are becoming more cognizant of how important it is to correctly spell westerners' names.... otherwise these farangs will keep coming back until it is done right.... by the farang standard.... lol

it was all very pleasant....

just as recently as yesterday, at the driver license office, the girl asked that i wrote out my own name in english AND THAI .... LOL

so i did and pronto.... came the printout for the photo session which took no more than 10 min....

they are becoming more cognizant of how important it is to correctly spell westerners' names.... otherwise these farangs will keep coming back until it is done right.... by the farang standard.... lol

it was all very pleasant....

Did you get your name in Thai on your DL.

I have only with western characters.

My WP has the spelling in Thai.

I know it may be teaching people to suck eggs but any time I have my name put on a document in Thai script I get a couple of people in the vicinity to read it back to me after the person has written/typed it out.

I know it may be teaching people to suck eggs but any time I have my name put on a document in Thai script I get a couple of people in the vicinity to read it back to me after the person has written/typed it out.

Would almost seem worth it to learn to read and write the Thai script. Or at least learn how to read/write your name in Thai.

It happens to Thais with Thai names too.

I have a friend who's parents named her "bracelet" (gam-lai) but on her birth certificate is written the similar-sounding Thai word for "profit" (gam-rai)

I have heard this is not uncommon. She can get it changed if she wants to go through all the trouble.

you just need to go to the amphur or umphur where the home registration book indicated as residential address, and

have your name change there, right in their office, together with all the translated and certified document.

it actually takes only about 10 min. to complete granted that there is no prior similar name exists and that the name you prefer is not in any way vaguely related to the royal housewhole's....