Sakon Nakhon Restarants

bellagrego

Another in my series of irreverent reviews of the culinary offerings in this fair city.

Eddies Place on the NaKae road. Thai name, don't have a clue.

Evening started out Ok. Nice looking place with a karoke set-up and a pretty garden. Only one other customer. Two,well on their way to blind-stupid drunk, Thai guys

Three attentive waitresses , one of which was simply to say, stunningly beautiful.

We ordered two dishes, shrimp with vegetables, and shrimp with garlic. They arrived wearing a orchid. Nice touch. Shrimp were tiny, I mean really small. Taste about on a level of 3 or 4 due to the diminutive size and the slight over-cooking of the garlic ones. The portions were small as well and required another order of food. we are small eaters but those dishes, even with rice,m left an empty stomach. We ordered beef with vegetables. The meat that arrived had did not resemble beef nor anything else I ever saw. The vegetables were omitted as well. A bite into the mystery meat near broke my teeth as it was beyond chewable. You couldn't cut that stuff with a hack saw. We asked for checkbin. Before the check arrived , a waitress opened another coke and filled my glass without my knowledge nor consent. That padded my bill for another 35 baht bringing the total to 335 baht., I blew off any protesty as that is a waste of time and energy as you all know. I just paid for the bad beef and the unordered coke and we took our leave.

Eddie has been there a while, I was told. Maybe it's the cute place, the cute waitresses, or the short time rooms, it isn't the cuisine, I assure you.

bella

I can't remember the place the wife and I ate at up in SN the last time we were up that way. It was pretty good though. That being said, I never ordered any type of beef. I learned both on here and from personal experience (my wife is Thai)....don't eat the beef. :)

I can't remember the place the wife and I ate at up in SN the last time we were up that way. It was pretty good though. That being said, I never ordered any type of beef. I learned both on here and from personal experience (my wife is Thai)....don't eat the beef. :)

Why on earth avoid beef in Isaan? And especially in Sakhon Nakhon, home of neua phon yang kham, some of the best beef you'll taste in Thailand from Charolais cattle, that grilled right can just melt in your mouth. Even the ordinary small Isaan beef cattle are tasty, raised as they are on freerange grasses and rice straw. Just need to get the young, tender ones and avoid the old dinosaurs, of the type eaten by the OP, by the sounds of it.

Why on earth avoid beef in Isaan? And especially in Sakhon Nakhon, home of neua phon yang kham, some of the best beef you'll taste in Thailand from Charolais cattle, that grilled right can just melt in your mouth. Even the ordinary small Isaan beef cattle are tasty, raised as they are on freerange grasses and rice straw. Just need to get the young, tender ones and avoid the old dinosaurs, of the type eaten by the OP, by the sounds of it.

Ahhh...well, just hearing all the bad experiences on TV about beef here in LOS, I've never wanted to try. My wife, when she cooks beef, many times, it is to a jerky like consistency. I've not been able to figure that one out, nor does she care to tell me. :D

Ahhh...well, just hearing all the bad experiences on TV about beef here in LOS, I've never wanted to try. My wife, when she cooks beef, many times, it is to a jerky like consistency. I've not been able to figure that one out, nor does she care to tell me. :D

Sounds like your wife has a liking for the ol' dinosaur variety of beef. (If it's not too personal, is there much of an age gap between you and the missus? :D ).

If you want a practical tip, that might be worth it's weight in chewable beef when your wife's cooking, try putting some pineapple over the beef for half a day before cooking - it is a miracle tenderiser and adds flavour to the meat to boot, when fried or stewed. Something to do with the acids in the pineapple. The other option is to go to the markets or shops that sell neua phon yang kham (ask your wife is she knows it) and get some fine marbled beef that's great for the BAR-B-Q. Chok dee in the quest for tenderloin beef. Plenty out there, I assure you. :D

plachon...only a 7 year gap. I'm 33 she is 26. Great cook, just the beef seems to be a problem.

Hey, didn't mean to pry and couldn't care less if there was 57 years between you. :D

I'm sure she's a great cook, but I wouldn't give up on Isaan beef yet. I can also recommend for a true Isaan experience the "goy deug" - latenight goy - which is best around midnight to 2.00 am, soon after the cow is slaughtered and the meat is as fresh and tended as can be. Goy, in case you haven't yet had the pleasure, is raw beef with bile and blood poured over to give it a sweet and bitter taste, and then chilli powder to give it a spicy kick. Usually finished off with a bit of ground wok-cooked dry rice and some mint. Delicious with a shot of proper rice whisky (lao lao, not lao khao). :)

Women are not so good at making it as men, so probably best to ask one of your male relatives to initiate you. An unmissable part of Isaan culture. :D

• 5 weeks later...

I go to the meat works up that way everytime I am at That Phanom and the beef is excellent. Not as good as an Ozzie scotch fillet but great for Thailand.

I am told they supply all the 5 star hotels and eateries in Bangkok.

It's a French Thai company so does anyone know the french word for scotch fillet as I usually buy the Rib Eye.?