Escaping Songkran - How?

Vagin

Where's the best place to go in Thailand at SongKran - where the celebrations do not go on for days on end, and where there is least likely to be mayhem.

I have a few days holiday and want to escape Pattaya. The celebrations there go on for about two weeks. It's okay for a day or two, but after that it's very irritating especially as a lot of the water fighting is conducted by idiots and borders on aggression. Last year I went to Kanchanaburi and that wasn't too bad, but was still irritating. I understand that Bangkok is pretty quiet, as most people pour out of the city, causing chaos at the bus stations. Any suggestions?

Edited by Vagin

Where's the best place to go in Thailand at SongKran - where the celebrations do not go on for days on end, and where there is least likely to be mayhem.

I have a few days holiday and want to escape Pattaya. The celebrations there go on for about two weeks. It's okay for a day or two, but after that it's very irritating especially as a lot of the water fighting is conducted by idiots and borders on aggression. Last year I went to Kanchanaburi and that wasn't too bad, but was still irritating. I understand that Bangkok is pretty quiet, as most people pour out of the city, causing chaos at the bus stations. Any suggestions?

How about going to Suan Mohk temple in Chaiya, Surathani.

10 days silent meditation retreat.

1,500 baht, or so. Instruction, lectures in English or Thai.

I went there in 96 to escape the craziness of Bangkok. It was great!

Concrete beds with wooden pillows. Hot springs.

You won't find much quieter than there.

Edited by Neeranam

About 4 years ago I went up Phu KraDung (approx 1300meters high) for Songkran. Distinct lack of people up there, so no one to throw water at you.

Very peaceful and with the exception of a few wooden tents, entirely natural. It's a good 20C cooler than the mainland, particularly at night where it will be closer to 30C cooler, so you will need warm clothing.

Vagin, don't you like any water throwing or just the chaos. I always go up to Isaan,Korat, Khon Kaen,etc. Lots of kids throwing water and loving water fights with falangs,Also extremely respectful powder and water on face from adults,always ask falangs first if OK. Always makes me feel part of Thailand unlike Pattaya or Falangland.

I hear on the local grapevine that Pattaya won't be as bad as recent years. High powered water guns are banned and only small water pistols will be allowed. Although it will last 10-11 days in Pattaya it will not be so aggressive.

Last year some Thai female shop workers were soaked early morning by mental farang (who actually come to Pattaya especially for Songkhran) and made a police complaint. The farangs were locked up and I hear the police will be in full force to prevent the loony farang from going mental. (except on 19 April).

I guess, if you keep away from Soi 1,2,6,7,8, Post Office and Yamoto, you will be O.K.

Wilson Steer.

Hua Hin! I went two years ago and they played only in the morning (lightly) and by evening (5p) they were finished. I stayed on the beach all that day. Last year went to Samui. Though they were going crazy on the road at Chaweng on the beach all was quiet. That is where I will be this year again!

About 4 years ago I went up Phu KraDung (approx 1300meters high) for Songkran. Distinct lack of people up there, so no one to throw water at you.

Very peaceful and with the exception of a few wooden tents, entirely natural. It's a good 20C cooler than the mainland, particularly at night where it will be closer to 30C cooler, so you will need warm clothing.

I agree, it's a lovely place, I was there in December it was freezing cold, I liked it so much I am building a house just down the road from phu Kradung. :o

To avoid: The South, or even Malaysia if you can't stand even a single day.

To celebrate (that would be me): The North & North East.. Say Chiang Mai or Khon Kaen... FUN!!! :o If only for a couple of days.. after that you can still go South and veg out with the retirees, Muslims and others who wouldn't know a good party even if it bit them in the bum.

Cheers,

Chanchao

I lived in chiang mai for a year or so. and it was a zoo for songkran. They even stretched it out a day or two longer. My fav is laos, in luang prabang they do it up nice.Most everyone goes across the river to a big sand bar and do battle with powder and water.Beer and food tents are set up as well. Book a room in advance if you can or you might be out of luck for a place to stay. :o

I second Bangkok. As long as you avoid Khao San Road and one or two neighbourhoods you'll have the place to yourself.

The worst I ever got was a bit of a splashing from some moto boys on Suk Soi 5 when I went from the Royal Benja to Foodland for supplies but as its April, a] I was dry in 30 seconds and b] it was quite refreshing.

During Songkhran you can do trips like Ekkamai to Silom Road in 15 mins in a taxi and you will see Bangkok in a whole different light.

Hotel occupancy is also very low so it can pay to have an ask around for a special rate and hole up in some luxurious pad for the duration.

Edited by ProfessorFart

Always like to spend Songkran in a village in Isaan as it is very traditional and not at all like the mad house in the cities.

I'll be doing the same aletta... Korat, then Phon, then my teeruk's little village, then Khon Kaen... great fun! :D

I have to agree with the other posters on the Pattaya scene... absolute bedlam. :o

Give it a big miss. :D