Farangs With No Visa.

pop3

I was surprised to hear from a friend the other day that his visa had ran out and he was not going to bother to renew it as he was no longer in the financial position to do so.

He went on to say he knew of 4 other farangs down pattaya beach road who also had not bothered to obtain a visa for the same financial reasons. looks like a sign of the times. :)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to do you friend a favour, I suggest you don't publicise this too much.

You'd be surprised who reads this forum, and you may give them ideas to start checking on those who didn't renew their visas.

If you want to do you friend a favour, I suggest you don't publicise this too much.

You'd be surprised who reads this forum, and you may give them ideas to start checking on those who didn't renew their visas.

As you make your bed you lay in it.

I was surprised to hear from a friend the other day that his visa had ran out and he was not going to bother to renew it as he was no longer in the financial position to do so.

He went on to say he knew of 4 other farangs down pattaya beach road who also had not bothered to obtain a visa for the same financial reasons. looks like a sign of the times. :)

I'm amazed these people would rather risk the Immigration Detention Centre than return home. Lost their marbles I guess.

If "the authorities" are doing their jobs correctly (which I doubt), they will not need to waste their personal time reading the stuff on this forum.

how are they going to check?..... do a search on Google with any tv member name, all your posts and personal information for the whole world to see.

There are risks in everything we do from the moment we get out of bed in the morning. We just have to be willing to accept the responsibility of our own actions. That is the part that many whiners and snivelers seem to forget. I think it is stupid to over-stay a visa. Eventually, at some point the person is going to need it. That is unless someone doesn't expect to live much longer.

He went on to say he knew of 4 other farangs down pattaya beach road who also had not bothered to obtain a visa for the same financial reasons. looks like a sign of the times. :D

I'm amazed these people would rather risk the Immigration Detention Centre than return home. Lost their marbles I guess.

They had no marbles to begin with, air heads! :)

Maybe you should go visit a Thai jail sometime and see if you still want to stay without a visa.

Im begining to doubt the ferocity of pattaya immigration against what could be called farang beggers on beach road.

A farang with no money is no good to a Thai. no backhander can be paid to anyone. he has no possessions of any value. no money for an air ticket.

To send him home will cost Thailand money. to keep him in jail will also cost money. I think thats why their just leaving them on beach road ?

Maybe with ever increasing numbers they will have to change their policy ?

I knew one useless guy who had no visa and no money. The worst part was that he was an obnoxious mooch. The police were called to several bars to get him out. As soon as they found out he had no money and no visa they let him loose. No profit for the corrupt police so no use to bother with him.

Maybe something more severe awaits them at home.

Anyone else remember the guy (I think he was from Denmark) who was on the run and had a big tattoo on his forehead?

Interpol caught up with him in Pattaya a few years back. Imagine being on the lam with that for a "distinguishing feature"!

I kept his picture because it was so ridiculous, but can't find it just now.

I wasn't suggesting that "they" will try to identify illegals through Thai Visa.

It is a known fact the Immigration read Thai Visa, and especially anything to do with visas etc.

If it became apparent to them that there was a growing number of illegals in Pattaya, they could do either of the following:

1. Raid "low end" bars, mini-mart drinking places and other locations where farangs with low disposable income may meet and drink, (Pattaya Tai market springs to mind), and check their visas. They would probably catch quite a number.

2. Check immigration records and print a report of all those farangs who have been here a few years, but have recently failed to renew. Their addresses should be on file, and some of the more likely ones could be checked out to see if they have left the country. If their computers are half way efficient, departures should have been recorded at the border from which they left, but I doubt this would be possible - but who knows? OK, many of these farangs may have moved or given false addresses, but there are always a few mugs who have failed to realise the danger of staying at the same address as that previously reported.

And finally, a riposte to all those "holier than thou" posters with their supercilious comments about those who for one reason or another, are less fortunate than themselves.

Many of these elderly farangs, who now face visa difficulties, have been here for a number of years - some of them for decades.

The retirement visa requirement is either 800k in the bank or a monthly income of over 60k, as certified by their embassies.

Many of these unfortunates have funds below the 800k simply due to the strength of the Baht and the current world recession, and in any event, if they have limited funds, the last thing they wish to do is leave 800k in a Thai bank earning no interest for an indefinite period.

Many of these folk have small state and/or occupational pensions, plus additional income from overseas investments, and are able to live here, a little frugally, but quite comfortably. Many are also supporting Thai wives and families, having previously bought them houses etc in their more prosperous days.

Their "official" income, as required by the authorities to qualify for a retirement visa may be below the minimum requirement, but they are still able to live comfortably with a much higher income than the average Thai.

Yes, there are some "down and outs' who should be deported back to their home countries where they would probably be better taken care of, but instead of denigrating them - how about a bit of compassion for your fellow men? Many of these are either alcoholics or suffer from mental illnesses and cannot help them selves.

And as we all know - Thailand may be wonderful place, but it can still kick you in the balls in a way few other countries can, as is evidenced by the high rate of farang suicides.

There but for the grace of God.....

Edited by Mobi

I wasn't suggesting that "they" will try to identify illegals through Thai Visa.

It is a known fact the Immigration read Thai Visa, and especially anything to do with visas etc.

If it became apparent to them that there was a growing number of illegals in Pattaya, they could do either of the following:

1. Raid "low end" bars, mini-mart drinking places and other locations where farangs with low disposable income may meet and drink, (Pattaya Tai market springs to mind), and check their visas. They would probably catch quite a number.

2. Check immigration records and print a report of all those farangs who have been here a few years, but have recently failed to renew. Their addresses should be on file, and some of the more likely ones could be checked out to see if they have left the country. If their computers are half way efficient, departures should have been recorded at the border from which they left, but I doubt this would be possible - but who knows? OK, many of these farangs may have moved or given false addresses, but there are always a few mugs who have failed to realise the danger of staying at the same address as that previously reported.

And finally, a riposte to all those "holier than thou" posters with their supercilious comments about those who for one reason or another, are less fortunate than themselves.

Many of these elderly farangs, who now face visa difficulties, have been here for a number of years - some of them for decades.

The retirement visa requirement is either 800k in the bank or a monthly income of over 60k, as certified by their embassies.

Many of these unfortunates have funds below the 800k simply due to the strength of the Baht and the current world recession, and in any event, if they have limited funds, the last thing they wish to do is leave 800k in a Thai bank earning no interest for an indefinite period.

Many of these folk have small state and/or occupational pensions, plus additional income from overseas investments, and are able to live here, a little frugally, but quite comfortably. Many are also supporting Thai wives and families, having previously bought them houses etc in their more prosperous days.

Their "official" income, as required by the authorities to qualify for a retirement visa may be below the minimum requirement, but they are still able to live comfortably with a much higher income than the average Thai.

Yes, there are some "down and outs' who should be deported back to their home countries where they would probably be better taken care of, but instead of denigrating them - how about a bit of compassion for your fellow men? Many of these are either alcoholics or suffer from mental illnesses and cannot help them selves.

And as we all know - Thailand may be wonderful place, but it can still kick you in the balls in a way few other countries can, as is evidenced by the high rate of farang suicides.

Nice post. :)

My daughter works at Immigration and I can assure you that the above is the tip of the iceberg.

The police cells in Chiang Mai are running wall to wall with Farang visa expirees.

Is only a matter of time before they`re rumbled and for those who associate with them, beware, you could be held libel by the police for not informing on them or your so called buddy, may drop you in at the deep end.

Mix with losers, become one yourself.

Edited by sassienie

I agree. You summed up the situation very well.

Well said. Yes some of us do get along on much less than we are expected too, and very happy with it.

Very well written post Mobi, hard times can happen to anybody for reasons out of their control, you never know what lies round the corner.

I have friends who work in the Embassy of a Western country, one deals with Visas and one with nationals who find themselves in prison or an IDC, both have said that their workloads have increased dramatically. The number of expats who are returning "home" with their Thai families, not really knowing what the future holds for them, has increased the workload on the visa section, with a knock on effect for all visa applicants. My friend who deals with those in custody has also seen his workload increase, especially in the IDC. I too have visited expats in various prisons and no way to I want to be on the inside looking out.

What about the 2 farangs on Pattaya beach road, who collect plastic bottles daily ?

They walk up and down all day, with their huge plastic bags.

Wonder how their visa status are.

Also a few mega drunk farangs seen sleeping on the beach night after night, and farang beggars.

How did they put themselves in this situation?

A sad sight indeed.

Not exactly.

The requirment is 800K in a Thai bank account seasoned for 3 months for subsequent extensions

(OR) 65K baht per month income letter (not 60K)

(OR) a combination of income letter PLUS bank account exceeding 800K

Also remember long term retirees here are GRANDFATHERED based on any lower financial qualification they may have used in the past as long as they don't break the chain of continuous extensions.

BTW, I for one think the criminalization of visa overstays is something we must accept in Thailand but that does not mean we can't recognize it as being rather over the top. I find it rather barbaric that anyone would have to spend any significant length of time in prison for a visa overstay. I have much more sympathy for the "criminals" in these cases than the immigration authorities, even though I do recognize they are only following current Thai law. Look at Argentina, another country that attracts foreign expat slackers in droves and how they treat their visa overstayers for an example of a CIVILIZED approach.

Edited by Jingthing

Some very interesting points made here and Mobis comments were spot on.

But it does seem to me that all this.... Don't ever get cought without a visa or you'll be in big trouble is not quite true ? maybe it is if you have money but if you do not have anything :)