Honda Scoopyi - Yamaha Fino

leftnose

By now, you'll have gleaned various bits of info on the three models. Fino and Yamaha are very successful with this flat-floored model. Since it is good and popular, it will have many supporters. It can use "green 91" - a considerably cheaper fuel than older models (perhaps you've had to use "red 91" at 4.5 baht/liter more up until now).

Its tires are the same size as the Suzuki Jelato. It is not, however, a fuel-saving fuel injected model (a factor that will not ultimately cost much in this catagory).

The Jelato, by Suzuki, is new on the market, so it will have few experienced advocates. It is FUEL injected, which doubtless would mean lower fuel bills were it not for its larger engine (125cc as compared with Fino's 115 - better for country outings, hills, two up). Because of the engine and fuel injection, it will be the most powerful - and it accepts E20 fuel, which presently is the least costly of the choices. On the other hand, it is new and Suzuki is not adored by Thais as are Honda's in general and some Yamaha models. (Maybe less likely to be stolen - cross-eyed and all).

Honda's offering at this approximate price is the Scoopy-i, as you know. It does have slightly wider tyres than the two above. It is also fuel injected and accepts E20. As its engine is a 110, it may be slightly slower or weaker and slightly more fuel efficient. It will have more dealers in the country, and this is the bike more likely to retain its price, I think, for re-sale.

By and large, however, we've purchased bikes because of personal preferences, including experience. If you can do so, I'd suggest that you rent the Jelato and the Honda for a day to experience your own preferences. A day's rental is a small price to pay to be more assured of your choice (but I do not know where they are available).

All three of course are flat-floored automatics and none are blessed with large inner storage or permit a basket.

Below is a pic of a Fino Premium 2009 I took at the showroom today. Whatcha think, nice or ugly?

Also, do the wheels look quite thin, or is it my imagination?

Same Same but different. To me it would make no difference riding a Fino or a Scoopy!

They are things to take you from A to B for small distances. Personally I prefer Honda.

What's the price difference? 2-3 k Bht? Well, not a big deal after all!

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Scoopy looks better, the new Finos have awful paint jobs and too much plasticy looking fake chrome bits.

Scoopy has bigger tyres as standard and fuel injection, therefore a better option in my view.

Obviously there will be far more people supporting the Fino over the Scoopy as they have been around longer. (In marketing terms it is known as double jeopardy)

• 4 months later...

I looked at both bikes yesterday - there is no question, in my mind, that the Fino looks so much better than the Scoopy (and what a stupid name!).

I liked it so much that I bought a dark blue one and now putting on the lights and chrome - no comparison to the scoopy with the indicators sticking out at the back .

My friends 11 year old had the final say - Fino no question she say's:D

Fino looks really retro 60s and scoopy a poor copy - so when the car is not needed (7/11 etc.) It's perfect - only disadvantage was Fino is not fuel injected but that was not enough to sway the decision the cheaper looking scoopys (God I hate that name) way.

Each to his own so not to take anything away from anyone's freedom of choice and freedom to express his opinion....this is my take. First off, the original beast, the Vespa is way overpriced at being over double the price of the competition. And it's got skimpy little wheels so it's going to be a lot more dangerous to drive than its Japanese (but made in Thailand or wherever competition). And yeah, it might have a steel carriage but that adds weight too. The 150 c.c. model pales in its power to weight ration when you stack it up against a 135 c.c. Yamaha Nouvo Elegance which is both lighter and more powerful. Moving onto the Scoopy to its credit it has a slightly bigger engine than the Yamaha Fino and it's got bigger tires. But it's been whipped up with ugly stick in a big way. Did I say it was ugly? It's uglier than sin. The Fino even outdoes the original for its beautifully sculpted lines. This design is absolutely sinsational. However the new models have horrible paint schemes, even more horrible than the first generation Yamaha Nouvo Elegance has which has been corrected in the Elegance. Yamaha used to have some very nicely single color Finos. For example take a look at this red model I had bought for a previous girlfriend. fino2.jpgfino.jpg Now take a look at the three two tone paint bikes that is representative of the current Fino line. mymotorbike.jpg

Note in the first two pictures the single color Yamaha Fino's, white and red. Seems they are all multi colored now. So I'd either wait until Yamaha once again gets its color act together or buy one of whatever color, then have it either repainted or purchase replacement panels, fenders etc in an acceptable color. And that brings up a point in the favor of plastic. There's been some criticism of the "cheap plastic" here used in such bikes as the Nouvo Elegance, Fino and even the new Honda PCX. Thing is on a lot of motorbikes one can buy here in Thailand there are metal parts that get pitted or rusty in a hurry. For instance on the Honda Phantom around the instrument panel area. The thing about such bikes as a Yamaha Nouvo Elegance, they don't have all these metal bits that get rusty and subsequently take away from the bike's beauty. Second of all, if you ever have an accident with such bikes and you only damage the fenders, cowling, etc it is pretty inexpensive replacing the plastic parts. Lastly......one does not have a lot of chrome or other metal parts that make you a slave to the bike by having to continuously polish and clean it.

Edited by jackcorbett

Yes totally agree about the new colour schemes - I've bought a dark blue and white design which looks great - the new design is terrible and I bought the last one they had in stock (old design) - I'm changing the brown seat to dark blue and white and the handle grips to black.

The Fino stickers are all coming off - leaving the Fino chrome only - adding 4 more lights - a white box for the back for the helmet. So I've spent an additional 5,000 but it will look stunning I think - sorry no photos as I'm collecting it in 3 weeks when back from an overseas trip.

Just a thought. And here it is. I just showed pictures of a single red color Yamaha Fino above I had bought an ex girlfriend. And stated that nearly all new Finos have horrible paint schemes due to their being too busy with too many colors. I just returned from Central Department store here in Pattaya and after parking my Yamaha Nouvo Elegance I took in hundreds of motorbikes that were parked in the department store parking lot. Nearly all the motorbikes were butt ugly including my own Nouvo Elegance. Nearly all the motorbikes had multi colored paint schemes making them appear to varying degrees like Indy 500 race cars that have their various sponsors written all over them...eg...Firestone, STP, My Elegance is simply not as ugly as the previous year's model. About the only thing I can come up with is Thais do not have the same tastes as most Americans, Europeans and other westerners. An example of this is when I went out shopping on numerous occasions here in Pattaya for a brass faucet for my bathroom sink. I couldn't find ONE brass faucet at Carre Four's Home Pro and I couldn't even order one through Home Pro. Several trips to Boonthavorn yielded just slightly better results. Boonthavorn is a very large place on Sukamvit Road that specializes in Kitchens and bathrooms. It has a huge selection of hot tubs, jaccuzzis, bath tubs, wash basins, etc and it has a large selection of faucets and other bathroom fixtures but nothing in brass. One can specially order from just one or two selections bathroom faucets in brass at high dollar (around $200) but even at that one must wait about 2 months.

What I come up with is this. Thais on many things have a huge difference in tastes from Westerners. A large percentage of brass fixtures can be purchased in American stores but here in Thailand it's all chrome chrome chrome. Now......just check out Car and Driver's web site My link How many two toned or three toned cars do you see there? Granted, there have been times in the past when two toned paint jobs sold well, and in times past even cars with fins. But today's modern Western buyer much prefers a mono toned car with an absence of writing on it. As for the PCXi compared to most other scooter type bikes it is much more simply colored and therefore much more tastefully done. Another thing is, when you look at much larger bikes that are built or marketed for Westerners for the most part, most of them have much simpler paint schemes. For example, take a look at the Kawasaki 650 now being sold in Thailand. One might not like the green and black colors for example but i just noticed that the one in our parking lot is green with black engine and engine parts. And with no outrageous lettering all across it.

So here's a thought---if one seeks a certain measure of exclusivity that reflects the good taste of its owner in a relatively inexpensive bike that is in tune with the owner's real needs......example...Pattaya City driving......Why not get the Nouvo Elegance (or whatever other bike one prefers) custom painted to cut down on all the distracting, unappealing busy work paint jobs that nearly all small motorbike's come with?

I've had my 50cc Yamaha Vino (Vino, not Fino) for over 10 years and for styling and practicaliy it still sees off both the Fino and the Scoopy. The styling is way better as everything is in proportion, and even though it is a smaller bike there is a vast amount of room under the seat (far more than the others) and far more room for your feet.

Only problem? No registration, like all the old "pops", so its local use only now.

Someone I know dropped their Fino, 16,000 baht later for some plastic, you would want to make sure its fully insured, nice looking bike, small storage space, the Honda, well it looks a mess the design, just all out of balance, a copy of the fino that looks like a few kids put together in their backyard.

Someone I know dropped their Fino, 16,000 baht later for some plastic, you would want to make sure its fully insured, nice looking bike, small storage space, the Honda, well it looks a mess the design, just all out of balance, a copy of the fino that looks like a few kids put together in their backyard.

That's true... looking at a Vespa the other day I thought the Fino looked better than the 'original' - I can't believe anyone would choose a Scoopy Droopy over a Fino - they gave full insurance as an extra (with the T-Shirt :rolleyes: and helmet) - I understand there is only one class of insurance for bikes - unlike cars.

• 3 months later...

Honda has proved basically all the posters wrong IMO. They have sold 40% more Scoopy's than Yamaha Fino this year.

Although I prefer the Fino has more power, most gf WANT the FINO. And they choose the small bikes- we typically choose the big bikes and cars, etc. Thus Scoopy has totally killed Yamaha this year- this trend will probably continue.

Yamaha should drop price to 40K bt to reconvert us. Then we could talk our women into a Fino.

I cannot find a Fino or Scoopy for under 45K bt. If anyone knows where from Lampang to Lumphun to Chiang Mai, pls tell me.

My girl always knows when to pick the moments to ask me- typically when I have a good day on the stock market.

It amazing to me that most of the shops have set prices and if you say well can you do better than XYZ down the road they say NO. Great for competition. Now it seems to be a matter of who I like better, unless someone doing better than 45K and all around 46K then I will choose who kisses butt best or throws in extra's, etc.

Anyway any under 45K... I guy offerred me his 3 month old Fino for 36K- dam gf did not want the color- DAM IT. Could have saved 10K, As only 95km on the clock. :jap:

That's true... looking at a Vespa the other day I thought the Fino looked better than the 'original' - I can't believe anyone would choose a Scoopy Droopy over a Fino - they gave full insurance as an extra (with the T-Shirt :rolleyes: and helmet) - I understand there is only one class of insurance for bikes - unlike cars.

I am staying within my own prediction - I have gotten used to the Scoopy looks, and it's fine. Fino shape is still nicer, except that Yamaha has managed to mess up the colors for 3 (4?) years running. You really have to make an effort to make a bike with a near perfect shape like the Fino ugly - yet Yamaha has managed to do that year after year. The "Disco" theme. The stars. The weird colors. Yuck! In addition they've raised the prices, without adding anything to make the bike better (I remember they used to start at 3x,xxx a few years back, can anyone confirm that?).

Scoopy meanwhile has come out with lots of nice color options. It has FI. And it's a Honda which will guarantee good sales as long as it's not a total dud - reputation counts, and in my opinion that's fully justified too. Today I'd probably get the Scoopy over the Fino - nicer colors, better tech, lower price, and it's a Honda so it will last forever. Once the Fino is fuel injected, and they offer some basic nice colors again, it might be competitive again.

I am probably the biggest fan of the Fino's design, and I'd go with a Scoopy, so that Honda is seriously outselling Yahama doesn't surprise me at all. What surprises me is that anybody buys the Fino in the current color schemes, at these prices...

As for the Vespa. I know design is subjective, but the Vespa is in a different category altogether. The Fino and Scoopy look like little kid's toys next to the Vespa, and they don't have anything on the fantastic design either.

Honda has proved basically all the posters wrong IMO. They have sold 40% more Scoopy's than Yamaha Fino this year.

Although I prefer the Fino has more power, most gf WANT the FINO. And they choose the small bikes- we typically choose the big bikes and cars, etc. Thus Scoopy has totally killed Yamaha this year- this trend will probably continue.

Yamaha should drop price to 40K bt to reconvert us. Then we could talk our women into a Fino.

I cannot find a Fino or Scoopy for under 45K bt. If anyone knows where from Lampang to Lumphun to Chiang Mai, pls tell me.

My girl always knows when to pick the moments to ask me- typically when I have a good day on the stock market.

It amazing to me that most of the shops have set prices and if you say well can you do better than XYZ down the road they say NO. Great for competition. Now it seems to be a matter of who I like better, unless someone doing better than 45K and all around 46K then I will choose who kisses butt best or throws in extra's, etc.

Anyway any under 45K... I guy offerred me his 3 month old Fino for 36K- dam gf did not want the color- DAM IT. Could have saved 10K, As only 95km on the clock. :jap:

Get a scoopy. As for prices, the dealers have very thin profit margins. They can't sell at a loss, and they make maybe 2k on a bike, so how much room is there for them to go down? Not much. This is actually very competitive - 'cause no one can sell at a premium.

• 1 month later...

Just a thought. And here it is. I just showed pictures of a single red color Yamaha Fino above I had bought an ex girlfriend. And stated that nearly all new Finos have horrible paint schemes due to their being too busy with too many colors. I just returned from Central Department store here in Pattaya and after parking my Yamaha Nouvo Elegance I took in hundreds of motorbikes that were parked in the department store parking lot. Nearly all the motorbikes were butt ugly including my own Nouvo Elegance. Nearly all the motorbikes had multi colored paint schemes making them appear to varying degrees like Indy 500 race cars that have their various sponsors written all over them...eg...Firestone, STP, My Elegance is simply not as ugly as the previous year's model. About the only thing I can come up with is Thais do not have the same tastes as most Americans, Europeans and other westerners. An example of this is when I went out shopping on numerous occasions here in Pattaya for a brass faucet for my bathroom sink. I couldn't find ONE brass faucet at Carre Four's Home Pro and I couldn't even order one through Home Pro. Several trips to Boonthavorn yielded just slightly better results. Boonthavorn is a very large place on Sukamvit Road that specializes in Kitchens and bathrooms. It has a huge selection of hot tubs, jaccuzzis, bath tubs, wash basins, etc and it has a large selection of faucets and other bathroom fixtures but nothing in brass. One can specially order from just one or two selections bathroom faucets in brass at high dollar (around $200) but even at that one must wait about 2 months.

What I come up with is this. Thais on many things have a huge difference in tastes from Westerners. A large percentage of brass fixtures can be purchased in American stores but here in Thailand it's all chrome chrome chrome. Now......just check out Car and Driver's web site My link How many two toned or three toned cars do you see there? Granted, there have been times in the past when two toned paint jobs sold well, and in times past even cars with fins. But today's modern Western buyer much prefers a mono toned car with an absence of writing on it. As for the PCXi compared to most other scooter type bikes it is much more simply colored and therefore much more tastefully done. Another thing is, when you look at much larger bikes that are built or marketed for Westerners for the most part, most of them have much simpler paint schemes. For example, take a look at the Kawasaki 650 now being sold in Thailand. One might not like the green and black colors for example but i just noticed that the one in our parking lot is green with black engine and engine parts. And with no outrageous lettering all across it.

So here's a thought---if one seeks a certain measure of exclusivity that reflects the good taste of its owner in a relatively inexpensive bike that is in tune with the owner's real needs......example...Pattaya City driving......Why not get the Nouvo Elegance (or whatever other bike one prefers) custom painted to cut down on all the distracting, unappealing busy work paint jobs that nearly all small motorbike's come with?

I think that you totally misunderstand the Thai car and motorbike market. The differences between it and the US has nothing to do with a "huge difference in tastes from Westerners" (sic). I have never seen a new two toned or 3 toned car for sale in Thailand -- cars here are bland, 4 door boxes. The primary differece is the age of the average buyer. Kids with limited amounts of money try to "flash" them up in relatively cheap ways -- wild paint, fancy exhausts and loud sound systems. Most motorbikes in Thailand are purchased by young people (under 25) who like the "flash" and the appearance of speed. Manufacturers and sellers respond to this preference. There is no difference with that in Thailand or in the west -- kids are the same everywhere. Sport bikes, here and in the US, are flashier with more wild paint jobs, than cruisers. Cruiser owners are generally older (and perhaps different background) and like lots of chrome, and not wild paint jobs and stickers with the name of the bike plastered all over it in 5 inch high letter. Check out Tom Cruise's $80,000 Ducati, as "wild" as any bike sold in Thailand. There is a picture of a PCX in CM in another thread here that has after market decals all over it that one western reader described as "beautiful" and asked where could that beautiful bike be purchased. To an old guy, all of the bikes designed and fashioned for "kids" will look ugly, but the kids dictate that market and love them. I like the single color paint jobs too (I am an old guy), but I realize that bikes are not being designed and styled here (or in the US) to suit my tastes. I personally prefer the looks of the Scoopy to the Fino, but frankly I wouldn't own either one -- I'm not 21 any more. I bought a PCX and the only other bike in consideration was an Elegance, which in comparison was (is) truely ugly, no ifs, ands or buts -- full stop. These bikes (Fino and Scoopy) are being bought by or for kids, and any old fart that tries to interject his/her idea of "beauty" into the discussion (which is always in the eyes of the beholder) is not helping anyone. Someone suggested that the OP should take his daughter to the Honda and Yamaha shops and let her decide. There cannot, I think, be a better idea than that. Cheers,

This is for one of those l weren't going to reply to but !!!

It's based on the old Vespa design.

l seen lots of old Vespa in Thailand they like em.

The original Scoopy came out in 1992.

They changed the shape to the Vespa look in 2009 like the Fino 2007.

They waited to see what happen in Thailand.

My daughter has a Fino OK but very vi-bey.

My friends daughter just got a Scoopy, l found it smoother and a bit more planted on the road.

Having written all this l would say let your daughter try them both or just go with the one she wants regardless of all the advice.

Yes !!! Father of 3 daughters.:D

Edited by Kwasaki