Web Cam

whistleblower

To start of with i am a bit of a dunce with computers.

I have just got a web cam and microphone headset. I am on a linux system, and the web cam software is for windows.

What i am after is one of you it experts help. I want to set up my web cam so i can talk to to my sister in uk and so she can see me (my baby really) on video. I want to do this through facebook.

Is this possible and can anyone give me a step by step guide of how to do it???

Many thanx

Any Linux gurus in the Rama3/Narantiwat area willing to come round and install it for a few beers?????

Only got the camera so folks at home could see the baby. HELP!!!!!

I'll be in to BKK on the 16th, if you're willing to wait that long.  Otherwise pm me your yahoo or gmail userid and I'll try and help you set it up.

oops sorry. told u i was crap at this. anyway this is what came up

Bus 007 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c054 Logitech, Inc.

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04f2:0760 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 058f:9360 Alcor Micro Corp. 8-in-1 Media Card Reader

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 006 Device 003: ID 1871:01f0

Bus 006 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

oops sorry. told u i was crap at this. anyway this is what came up

Bus 007 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c054 Logitech, Inc.

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04f2:0760 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 058f:9360 Alcor Micro Corp. 8-in-1 Media Card Reader

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 006 Device 003: ID 1871:01f0

Bus 006 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Excellent. The device is recognised and since it's Chicony there's a good chance that it's supported. Unplug your webcam. Issue the following command (copy and paste it by right clicking in the terminal)

ls /dev/video*

Plug the camera back in and wait a second. Run the same command and see what's new. With luck you'll see a /dev/video0 pop up.

Now it's time to check out if it's working.

sudo apt-get install cheese && cheese

That command installs cheese and starts it. If your webcam is working, than you'll see yourself. If it's working and say you're trying to use Skype, you're going to have a bit more work to do. Not hard, but you'll have to change the launch command of the programme. For example, returning to the previous example of Skype, you need to go to Main Menu->System->Preferences->Menus:Applications->Internet->Items:Skype. You replace the regular old launch command with the following:

bash -c 'LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype'

Obviously you can do that to each and every application that needs it...

mate, did what you said and the web cam works!!!! just not quite sure about step 3. do you mean main menu of skype? or main menu on my computer????

Step three would edit the command that launches Skype from your main menu.  I.E., when you click on the Skype icon it would launch it with that slightly modified command.  You can use it for any programme that you need.  Just put the whole bit, minus skype, in front of any other command.

WAIT, celebrated too early!!! Did what you said and mike now works (i can hear my own voice) but it doesnt work in Skype. Do i have to go somewhere to configure it????

Go to tools->options->audio settings.  You may have to change the microphone input from ALSA to OSS.  Play around with it and make your test call.

I just read through your thread.

You never mentioned which linux distro you were using.

If you are using Ubuntu, they made pulse audio their default sound system in version 8.10 and have been having a lot of issues with that ever since. If you are also using the older version of Skype, which is 2.0.?, you are going to have to change the audio settings from default to pulseaudio, as well as some other things which I don't remember. I do remember I had to go to the Skype linux forum to find out what.

I highly suggest that you go to the Skype website and download the newest version, which is 2.1.0.47, for Ubuntu 8.10 (either for 32 bit or 64 bit, and I will assume for you it is the 32 bit version). It still says it is in beta, but it is much much better than the older version and I have had absolutely no issues with it. It is an easy installation and no extra tweaking will be necessary.

And yes, Dave Boo is a genius.

A few more things I'd like to add.

I'm using a web cam with a built in mic.

When I was finally able to get the audio working correctly in version 2.0, I was able to easily switch between using either the web cam mic or the mic with my headset. Unfortunately, I had video issues with that version, and that was why I went to the new one, even though it was still in beta.

The video problems were solved with the new version 2.1, as well as not having to tweak any of the audio settings, but unfortunately I lost the ability to use the web cam mic. After losing a few more of my remaining gray hairs trying to get it to work, I gave up and just use my headset, which I prefer anyways. I know it can be done, but I just don't have enough hair anymore.

Skype for linux is still years behind skype for windows, and it is one of the few reasons I still keep windows xp around.

Dave_boo

I must be pissing u off now, thanx for all the help, but i still cant get my mic to work. If u are around rama 3 on friday the offer of a few beers stands. (you can drink while you show me how to work this dam_n thing!!) 555

First, I'm not a genius.  A bumbling idiot with a good memory of how my monkey clicking eventually figures stuff out (plus the google-<deleted> is strong in me) is a more apt description.

I'm slated to fly into BKK on the morning of the 16th.  The missus and I usually stay down in Samut Prakarn for a couple of days, but I wouldn't be adverse to seeing what your problem is.  If it's a laptop we could meet up at say Seacon?  Otherwise I'll give you a ring and arrange something.

Did you try changing the Audio Option in Skype. You can get the options by Clicking the Skype icon in the left bottom. I will post some screen shots if you need in getting the options window. In the Audio section of your option window try changing the Default audio device , you choose both the Audio in and Audio out there . Good Luck . If you can post what flavor of linux you are using I can point you to some good sites that can help you solve the problem. Use the skype test call to test the audio and see if 'Cheese' application is working to test the WebCam .

i am using ubuntu. in the skype options there isnt an 'audio' section that i can see. it has a 'sound devices' section and in that it says:

microphone Pulse audio server (local), this is in a box that has a drag down menu. But its the only one in it. Does that mean anything to anyone out there???

Also tested out the web cam yesterday with another mate on skype. He could see me but not hear me. The question i have is how can i set up the web cam so i can see me as well??? Im going through all this so relatives can see the baby, so i need to see what they r seeing to make sure little 'un is in frame.

I think you are almost there.

What I did was play around with using the Sound Recorder program in the applications menu, and when I was finally able to record my voice then I knew I had it. I just used the Skype echo test call service to verify everything worked.

You need to get to your volume control. For me, it's a little icon of a speaker on the panel and it says "master" when you move your mouse over it. Click that and click volume control.

For me, my sound device is the HDA NVidia (alsa mixer) and I have 5 tabs which are identified as Playback, Recording, Switches, Options, and Sound Theme. Click Options and make sure that you have the correct mic port as your input source. For me, I use the front mic. You may also have to also play with the capture control in the "Recording" tab.

Again, just play around until you are able to record your own voice and then test it with the echo test call. You can find that in the Skype > options > sound devices > make a test call.

Can I assume that you could hear them even though they could not hear you?

Sorry, but I haven't got a clue. Too bad our resident guru Dave Boo isn't here.

You have not mentioned what you have done so far. What version of Skype are you using, and have you tried playing around with any of the settings I have suggested?

It may be time for you to start searching other forums, especially the Ubuntu forum, which is pretty much how I learned about linux and where I have spent many hours. I would also check out the Skype linux forum. It will work, it's just a matter of perseverance along with a bit of luck.

Hopefully someone with more experience than I can come round and help you out here.

Can you reduce the volume using the Volume Controller ( the Speaker icon in the top right ) if not your Volume Controller is not set properly, Do you have a build in mic in your web cam or do you use a separate mic ? If you have a build-in mic in your webcam Check the correct option in Sound Devices in Skype, you slect the mic in Sound In option of Skype , if you have a separate mic 'pulse' option should work , if you have mic build in webcam the Sound In option will be similar to your webcam ex" USB Device 0X46d:0X9a1' . Hope this helps. Just like the poster above me said, spend some time in Ubuntu forum and search google for the problem.

note : Click the Speaker icon in the top right corner select preference and check if the microphone option is no muted . You can also try choosing different Device in the to see which one works.

Good Luck :)

screenshot2y.th.png

screenshot1dt.th.png

Edited by shriah