Stupid Question

SteveK

I have been to Thailand a few times and there is something that really bugs me.

There are so many bars filled with girls but I have always thought "where are the men?". It just doesnt add up. Are they at home waiting for their teerak to come home? Are there villages in Isaan full of men because the girls have all gone to BKK/Samui/Phuket etc?

This is something I have thought about a bit, but am not as knowledgable as some people on this board so a genuine insight would be great.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I often wondered the same thing as well. when I go up country I find the villages to be filled with old women. I think Thailand must have many more girls than boys. I do not know that many people with sons but I know loads of people with Daughters.

I lived in a Thai apartment building , on my floor there were 3/4 thai males who did not work but their 'Ladies' were off working every night , would come home around 2/3 in the morning and have conversations in the corridor .

I lived in a Thai apartment building , on my floor there were 3/4 thai males who did not work but their 'Ladies' were off working every night , would come home around 2/3 in the morning and have conversations in the corridor .

classy apartment building! when I first came to Thailand 6 years ago I lived in one just like it. it did have its perks though.

Open your eyes and thou shalt see, or maybe you need to go to spec savers.

Anyway just to help with a few of the missing men.., just to name a few..

Hows about the taxi drivers, tuk tuk drivers, motorbike taxi drivers...

Hows about the police men, bell boys, rent boys...

Hows about the security guards and labourers, thats just a few.

ooops nearly forgot the lady boys...

HTH

Open your eyes and thou shalt see, or maybe you need to go to spec savers.

Anyway just to help with a few of the missing men.., just to name a few..

Hows about the taxi drivers, tuk tuk drivers, motorbike taxi drivers...

Hows about the police men, bell boys, rent boys...

Hows about the security guards and labourers, thats just a few.

ooops nearly forgot the lady boys...

HTH

Don't forget the monks.

Thai lads do not go to the farang bars. You will see them in thai oriented Karaoke(s) ect. Check out a thai disco and well heaps of thai lads around.

Considering that the original question concerned Thai bars oriented towards farang customers the answer is obvious. Britmaveric answered the question... the karaoke bars and disco dance halls is where you'll find the Thai lads who go out at night. There is a whole string of karaoke bars near my hotel and it's almost entirely Thai men with a bunch of young Thai gals who speak very little English.

The nightclubs along the beach area of Pattaya are oriented towards farang customers. The same is true in the Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza areas of Bangkok. Get away from those areas and you'll find the Thai karaoke bars frequented by Thai men.

I can give you one smaII exampIe. The aussie mate of my bf (Thai) went out one night to a Karaoke joint. (IoI..that sounds Iike the start of a joke..er..but anyway..)Bf toId his friend that the pIace was crazy..and why does he want to stay in a crazy pIace...paying money to have some siIIy girI come and sit with you. :)

I can give you one smaII exampIe. The aussie mate of my bf (Thai) went out one night to a Karaoke joint. (IoI..that sounds Iike the start of a joke..er..but anyway..)Bf toId his friend that the pIace was crazy..and why does he want to stay in a crazy pIace...paying money to have some siIIy girI come and sit with you. :)

Good point, eek. Thai guys want to drink and spend time with their mates, not chase women. As I've said many times, men have more in common with other men than they do with women.

Just give the gals your credit card and let them go shopping. :D:D:D

I can give you one smaII exampIe. The aussie mate of my bf (Thai) went out one night to a Karaoke joint. Bf toId his friend that the pIace was crazy..and why does he want to stay in a crazy pIace...paying money to have some siIIy girI come and sit with you. :)

Probably because they all went to a massage parlour earlier and it's nice to have a drink, dinner, and coffee talk before doing anything else.

:D

I have been to Thailand a few times and there is something that really bugs me.

There are so many bars filled with girls but I have always thought "where are the men?". It just doesnt add up. Are they at home waiting for their teerak to come home? Are there villages in Isaan full of men because the girls have all gone to BKK/Samui/Phuket etc?

This is something I have thought about a bit, but am not as knowledgable as some people on this board so a genuine insight would be great.

If you need men you need to go in gay bars. Or there are also bars for women filled with men.

To answer the op's question seriously.......when my wife was at school she was in a class of thirty kids and only 5 were boys. She tells me that most classes would consist of one third boys and two thirds girls, in all schools, junior and high.

So although I have no idea of population figures, that would suggest that there are more girls born in Thailand.

HL :)

To answer the op's question seriously.......when my wife was at school she was in a class of thirty kids and only 5 were boys. She tells me that most classes would consist of one third boys and two thirds girls, in all schools, junior and high.

So although I have no idea of population figures, that would suggest that there are more girls born in Thailand.

HL :)

Either that or the boys didn't turn up for class. Truency is a major issue in Thai state schools.

At the risk of giving too serious a reply, Thailand's "National Statistics Office" does maintain population statistics that may be useful (although should probably be taken with a grain of salt).

In 2006, there were 31,007,857 men, and 31,820,849 women; so yes, women do outnumber the men. However it is not that simple. The NSO provides breakdowns by age and province. Under 30 years old, males outnumber females. Over 30 years old, women dominate. This is perhaps a reflection of a few factors to do with the types of work men do (particular the safety standards for those in construction; the number of those working overseas; involvement in the military; and the history of protestors).

In terms of provinces, the more tourist-oriented the province, the more likely that there is a gender imbalance towards women. In Bangkok, for example, there were 2,721,273 men, and 2,974,683 women. To some extent that is probably a reflection of certain industries catering for the nature of some tourists/residents in some locations (breakdowns for tourists aren't available, but are for residents - 77% coming here from Japan are male; 76% of those from the US; 69% of those from the UK).