Another Car Gone

farangconnection

hey Martin,

What about installing a gps tracking device in the cars.

Then you can set a Geo field that the car can't cross or it will alert you.

You can login to the Ip address you choose and realtime track the car also,

Plus you can show the policeman where the car went, and then he maybe red faced if it never went into Cambodia.

I even seen one that you can record and monitor the voice sounds from the car.

They use a simple sim card to track with.

Yes, we've thought of that, then when we look on the scanner we know which area the ransom call will come from.

Party of four Thais wanted cars yesterday, but I had been forewarned, and the photo's I got from Thaistar,but I had been forewarned from Thaistar rentals who had both had cars stolen, and the photo's I got from Thaistar, matched the foursome. I also see Thaistar was banned for telling the World his cars had been stolen. Someone from here as liason perhap

s. Or is it that you are not allowed to tell the truth on forums like this.

If I was to say these people are a corrupt and known gang in Thai society, some of course being the Police, and their tactics are just like every other person in in this " Land of Theives and beggars" Lying scum bags, who want to make as much money ripping off inncents as possible. My plea to them is " Can I have my two weeks Chemo therapy money back?" Although that is like saying to a hoar " Can I have a refund", after she cuts you up, steals everthing you have and throws you in the street. Party of four Thais wanted cars yesterday, but I had been forewarned, and the photo's I got from Thaistar, matched the foursome. I also see Thaistar was banned for telling the World his cars had been stolen. Someone from here as liason perhap

Off course, if I was to say. " The Thai theives are just a imagination. You all probably just went out pissed one night and forgot where you left it. No thai person would ever steal anything. Most guys just wander pissed down to the ATM and withdraw 2,000,000 for a packet of Marlborough and just forget about it.

The first one was the truth

The second one lies

Which one will stand.

Edited by farangconnection

any insurance ?

if not then cruel to be kind , DO NOT RENT TO THAIS you have no power to do anything about it if they cheat you. (what on earth made you think you did ?)

We do not rent to Thais now, but the last one had a Farang Husband, which was obvious from her name, Poisson, and she said she needed the car to pick her husband up.

But what about the insurance route, Martin? otherwise whats the point of paying it?

I still think the answer is to hold the original passport & give customer a copy BTW :D

OR is it possible to swipe a credit card like Hotels do when you nick a towel/bath robe (I am not implying I do that, of course :) )

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

Anytime that I rented a car I had to put a money on hold incase of a problem, think the min was 20,000bht from a renter in Bkk

Friend just rented in Ubon, they asked for 50,000 if no credit card. 25,000 with. No cc was also 30bht extra a day.

Maybe they have had the same problem.

Pardon me for busting into the conversation, but I have some questions/scenerios regarding the credit card. Say someone was to leave their card with you (car rental). And everything is hunky dorey until they withdraw, with another card on the same account, every penny they have and then call to have their card cancelled/closed. Then the rental is stuck with a plastic card that is only good for scraping the ice off your windsheild. :) Ok, to take that one step further, who is to say that the card and maybe even their i.d. is fake. It just looks to me like if criminals had the right tools, plans, and jai dum, they could actually get away with this quite often.

Now, with all that being said, I have to say that I know absolutely nothing about the procedures in car rental. My wife and I have only rented a car once, about 2 years ago, for approx. 1 week. My wife took care of all the business. So what I had said in my previous paragraph is just my thoughts and may or may not even be possible. What do ya'll think? Could someone set up a scam like that and if so, what could be done to prevent that?

Pardon me for busting into the conversation, but I have some questions/scenerios regarding the credit card. Say someone was to leave their card with you (car rental). And everything is hunky dorey until they withdraw, with another card on the same account, every penny they have and then call to have their card cancelled/closed. Then the rental is stuck with a plastic card that is only good for scraping the ice off your windsheild. :) Ok, to take that one step further, who is to say that the card and maybe even their i.d. is fake. It just looks to me like if criminals had the right tools, plans, and jai dum, they could actually get away with this quite often.

Now, with all that being said, I have to say that I know absolutely nothing about the procedures in car rental. My wife and I have only rented a car once, about 2 years ago, for approx. 1 week. My wife took care of all the business. So what I had said in my previous paragraph is just my thoughts and may or may not even be possible. What do ya'll think? Could someone set up a scam like that and if so, what could be done to prevent that?

No.....the answer is very simple, but a not very nice thing to do. DO NOT RENT TO THAI PEOPLE. It is a shame it has come to this, but else can you do? Imagine in the States that you could only rent a car if you were not American.

They swipe that card first and put a hold on the funds. when you bring the car back the funds are then unlocked. They can try to take funds if they wish, but the card will not allow the funds, Mater, Amex or Visa will have a hold on them. Untill the Rental company unlcoked the funds are keeps them

Edited by Bpraim1

Pardon me for busting into the conversation, but I have some questions/scenerios regarding the credit card. Say someone was to leave their card with you (car rental). And everything is hunky dorey until they withdraw, with another card on the same account, every penny they have and then call to have their card cancelled/closed. Then the rental is stuck with a plastic card that is only good for scraping the ice off your windsheild. :D Ok, to take that one step further, who is to say that the card and maybe even their i.d. is fake. It just looks to me like if criminals had the right tools, plans, and jai dum, they could actually get away with this quite often.

The many times I rented cars in BKK to get me to Surin & back, they 'swiped' my CC, completed (&dated) a transaction slip so that if anything untoward happened later( like you suggest(cancellation/fraud)) it would still be honoured by the Bank as a transaction prior to it being cancelled/stolen.

Still no comment about Insurance claims I see? :D:):D

any insurance ?

if not then cruel to be kind , DO NOT RENT TO THAIS you have no power to do anything about it if they cheat you. (what on earth made you think you did ?)

We do not rent to Thais now, but the last one had a Farang Husband, which was obvious from her name, Poisson, and she said she needed the car to pick her husband up.

Her family name,pois(s)on, should have been a warning to you. :)

Well I rented a car for a short holiday and tried the local car rentals and no one could give me a straight answer on theft insurance. I first went local directly, but was not happy with their standard rental form which just states, in case of the car being stolen that the hirer is liable for the difference between what the insurance company pays and the value of the car !!!!!!!!.

I then tried a well known global company at the airport thinking they will understand my concern about theft of car insurance. NO such luck. I ended up renting a car with them but all they did was call a local company with exactly the same rental form as before. This may have been because I have no credit card with me at the moment and was only prepared to leave 10k baht deposit, so they went "local".

Anyway would love an answer on this.

When renting a car locally,by farang or Thai,is the customer and/or renter covered in case the vehicle is stolen ?

I have a feeling the answer maybe no.

The airport firm tried to say that if stolen I would just pay the 8k baht loss/damage xcess but that is not how I read it in their brochure.It read you paid extra for theft insurance but that did not seem to be available.

Well I rented a car for a short holiday and tried the local car rentals and no one could give me a straight answer on theft insurance. I first went local directly, but was not happy with their standard rental form which just states, in case of the car being stolen that the hirer is liable for the difference between what the insurance company pays and the value of the car !!!!!!!!.

I then tried a well known global company at the airport thinking they will understand my concern about theft of car insurance. NO such luck. I ended up renting a car with them but all they did was call a local company with exactly the same rental form as before. This may have been because I have no credit card with me at the moment and was only prepared to leave 10k baht deposit, so they went "local".

Anyway would love an answer on this.

When renting a car locally,by farang or Thai,is the customer and/or renter covered in case the vehicle is stolen ?

I have a feeling the answer maybe no.

The airport firm tried to say that if stolen I would just pay the 8k baht loss/damage xcess but that is not how I read it in their brochure.It read you paid extra for theft insurance but that did not seem to be available.

Who would seriously insure anything for theft in this country. The premium would be what the car is worth. Seriously though, normally when a car is stolen, it is taken to Cambodia. The local authorities often seize the said vehicle and then you have to pay them 60-70,000 baht to have it returned over the border. How can you claim for the car being stolen, when in fact it has only been pawned and you eventually get it back.

Exactly my point but nobody makes this clear to tourists renting vehicles that in case of theft you could be liable for the value of the car 1,2,3 million baht + !!!.(Are you really saying that the people renting are liable for the whole value of the car if stolen ?) I also see a nice sideline for unscrupulous businesses in renting out vehicles and nicking them off the renters and claiming a nice windfall ? Then when the tourist has left the country the car appears again.

Bottom line- If I rent a car from you and it is stolen, whilst I am asleep in my hotel one night, am I liable for the value of the car ?

Exactly my point but nobody makes this clear to tourists renting vehicles that in case of theft you could be liable for the value of the car 1,2,3 million baht + !!!.(Are you really saying that the people renting are liable for the whole value of the car if stolen ?) I also see a nice sideline for unscrupulous businesses in renting out vehicles and nicking them off the renters and claiming a nice windfall ? Then when the tourist has left the country the car appears again.

Bottom line- If I rent a car from you and it is stolen, whilst I am asleep in my hotel one night, am I liable for the value of the car ?

No,all our cars are first class insurance. Only the first 10,000

LOL that's exactly what all the rentals said but could not show me exactly where it says on the agreement " if this car is stolen through no fault of your own" you are only liable for the first 10k baht.

On the local forms the closest it got was "if this car is stolen you are liable to pay the difference between the insurance settlement and the car value" or words to that effect IIRC. So if there is no theft insurance as you say because the premium is too high then the difference between the insurance settlement and the car value could be 100%!!

Are you saying you get 10k baht off the customer (xcess) and potentially eat the loss of the car ?

Appreciate your replies here and wish to apologise for being a bit abrasive in my earlier post, there was no need.

Edited by parryhandy

LOL that's exactly what all the rentals said but could not show me exactly where it says on the agreement " if this car is stolen through no fault of your own" you are only liable for the first 10k baht.

On the local forms the closest it got was "if this car is stolen you are liable to pay the difference between the insurance settlement and the car value" or words to that effect IIRC. So if there is no theft insurance as you say because the premium is too high then the difference between the insurance settlement and the car value could be 100%!!

Are you saying you get 10k baht off the customer (xcess) and potentially eat the loss of the car ?

Appreciate your replies here and wish to apologise for being a bit abrasive in my earlier post, there was no need.

That wasn't abrasive, at least not to me. If you want to see 'abrasive' read some of my replies to some of the <deleted> that use this forum.

I've rented from Q-Cars in Jomtien, Pattaya and went through with their boss, Jon, the ins and out s of the insurance they have. What most people have is 1st class insurance with no named driver. This is not hire and reward insurance, which Q-Cars have and which I understand is required or otherwise, you would technically be committing a fraud when making a claim as you would have to pretend you were a friend and not customer of the person who insured the car.

I don't know what they have at FC but from my understanding, it would be up to the insurance company to deal with the police or other scammers or not (and pay out for a new vehicle). I guess the insurance companies would rather pay the scammers and get the vehicle back as it is cheaper than it not coming back.

As for credit cards, Avis in the UK take £800 as a deposit, just as if you had bought something for £800 and they release it back to your card when they put through the final bill. That is what is supposed to happen but sometimes, it take the full 15 days until it is automatically released back to your card.

I also see a nice sideline for unscrupulous businesses in renting out vehicles and nicking them off the renters and claiming a nice windfall ? Then when the tourist has left the country the car appears again.

The Pattaya motorbike renters have been doing this for years.

I also see a nice sideline for unscrupulous businesses in renting out vehicles and nicking them off the renters and claiming a nice windfall ? Then when the tourist has left the country the car appears again.

The Pattaya motorbike renters have been doing this for years.

Not surprised, all seems so obvious.

Still no clear answer regarding insurance. Anybody out there that has rented a car that has been stolen ?