Is Ageism Rife With Employes In Thailand

Does anyone else think that ageism is rife in Thailand.I have had over 20 years experience running pubs in the Uk. I retired in 2003 when I came to Thailand, but for a while now have thought I would like to work again.Each time I apply for a position, everything goes well until they ask my age(i'm 56) As soon as I tell them a quick excuse is made, and the interview ends.Do employers think that because i'm not in my 20's or 30's I don't have the ability to think of new ideas to keep a pub attractive to todays customers. Do you have to be young to be creative.Thoughts please.

Anyone over 50 world wide thats the way it is. Sucks but true. :)

Edited by PeaceBlondie
Yet once again: Everywhere on ThaiVisa, No need to repost an opening post early in a thread. USE FAST REPLY button further down. Thank you. PeaceBlondie

Maybe they don't have wheelchair access throughout their facilities?

Seriously though, for many positions, folks simply like to keep the same people for as long as possible. 56 means I probably have to hire someone else in 20 years or less. It's kind of like a family concept, you don't want to suddenly introduce old people into your family as they are more likely than not part of someone else's family.

:)

Edited by Heng

Health problems. One of our employees is in her 40s and has massive health problems, insurance covers the health costs, but you are still required to pay the employee a certain amount of sick leave and hold the job open....why take the chance when you could hire someone younger with less chance of health problems?

My wife now refuses to hire anyone over 30s...this is Thailand you may as well take advantage of the lack of affirmative action.

I remember being at a party in New Zealand - a young live band were playing......good music.......

One song contained many loud repetitive lines of ......"<deleted> THE FOSSILS" "<deleted> THE FOSSILS".... :)

Know your place!!!! :D

Does anyone else think that ageism is rife in Thailand.I have had over 20 years experience running pubs in the Uk. I retired in 2003 when I came to Thailand, but for a while now have thought I would like to work again.Each time I apply for a position, everything goes well until they ask my age(i'm 56) As soon as I tell them a quick excuse is made, and the interview ends.Do employers think that because i'm not in my 20's or 30's I don't have the ability to think of new ideas to keep a pub attractive to todays customers. Do you have to be young to be creative.Thoughts please.

Friend of mine just turned 31, but she looks 24. She is looking for a new job in the hotel industry - unbelievably 31 is considered old, and most positions have a requirement of hiring only 21-29 year olds. Mental, absolutely mental. I am 31 myself, and I personally feel I will be at my working prime (knowledge and skill wise) when I am 35+. In fact this is documented in Napoleon Hill's Think Rich Grow Rich book - he documents that most men are not truely successful in business until they well into their 40s. Good luck with the job hunt.

Maybe they don't have wheelchair access throughout their facilities?

:)

Maybe they should....it is a legal reqirement in many countries. Just likemale and emale toilets are. People did not want to employ females once because they had no female toilet can you imaginine this happening today.

I think in Thailand age is respected maybe more so than in the west. But looking for a new job over 45 years of age here will be tough. Employers like some with a good education, good proven work record and a smart apperance.

If all else fails there is always teaching.

Employers like their staff to come with an university education, at least 10 years experience in the same field, wanting to work at least 12 hours a day for 8 hours pay, wanting to work at least 7 days a week but preferably more, and please not older as 18 years.

Sorry to the OP... but yes apparently... you are not creative enough :)

If really experienced, as you said, in pub management... you should already have your own consulting company.

Why working for someone else? If you are qualified enough to use your skills as an asset?

Pubs and restaurants were flourishing, in SE Asia, since the last '98 crisis... Now, it is a bit late, you missed the jump wagon!

But... at the end of the day, who the hel_l am I to give anyone a lecture?!? :D

I think in Thailand age is respected maybe more so than in the west. But looking for a new job over 45 years of age here will be tough. Employers like some with a good education, good proven work record and a smart apperance.

If all else fails there is always teaching.

Employers like their staff to come with an university education, at least 10 years experience in the same field, wanting to work at least 12 hours a day for 8 hours pay, wanting to work at least 7 days a week but preferably more, and please not older as 18 years.

:):D