Help Please - Cash Withdrawls From Uk Account In Thailand

Hi,

I'm a bit dumb with banks and stuff.

I have a UK account with LloydsTSB and I live in Thailand.

I have a debit card for my account.

I have bought some items using it in Thailand (I save it for expensive items (e.g.Ipod etc)

I tried using it to withdraw cash from an ATM and had mixed results. Multiple attempts I got 1,000B out one time but refused other times and generally confusing.

My question.

Can I withdraw money from this account if I go into a Thai bank and make a manual withdraw from my UK account if I take the card and my passport?

Many thanks in advance.

J.

Don't know about withdrawing from inside the bank don't see why not, some have keypads at the counter for your pin No. so give it a try.

ATM's are always a bit temperamental. Don't take it personally :D Just try another ATM or have a beer and try again. They usually surrender the money :)

If you debit card has the visa sign on it and cab be used as a visa then you can get funds at a bank or money exchange. The limit depends on your card. There may be an issue with your bank for ATM withdraws. I know my bank lists Thailand as a high risk and therefore only allows a $50 max ATM withdraw and only can be used at hotels and airlines for purchases. Needless to say this card is pretty much useless to me in Thailand.

As has been mentioned before sometimes a block is put on your card 'for security purposes' simply because it is flagged up as being used in Thailand.....

A quick visit in the bank will quickly let you know if this is the case - so can be useful.......then you call your bank and sort it out

I must admit to just hitting fastcash 10k when I use the ATMs, easy and doesn't fail frequently - other than the time the above occured!!!

Why don't you call Lloyds Bank in UK on the telephone (the number is on the back of your debit card). After answering a few security questions, they might arrange for a temporary removal of any block and further clarify their withdrawal policies.

I have the same card as you and use it at ATM's for 10000 Bht 'Fast Cash' when I need to. It sometimes refuses on the first try but eventually gives in.

You can use it in a Thai bank ( a proper branch not Tesco) with your passport- no pin required they swipe it in there machine.

I have taken out large ammounts using this method and the only restriction from Lloyds is you must have the funds in your account.

Some Thai banks have there own limits ( 20000 in one but cannot remember the name)

The 'yellow bank'? is excellent for these transactions. You also save the 150 baht ATM fee!

You're problem MAY be which of your bank accounts is being accessed by the local bank's ATM. If you maintain both a checking (current) account and a savings account at your bank in the UK, the process at the ATM may automatically access your checking account. If that account had only the equivalent of 1,000 baht when you made the successful withdrawal before, you may not have enough in that account now. To get around that problem, after you have entered your PIN, do NOT select 'fast cash' or any other transaction which would be automatic. Instead, select the 'withdrawal' or 'other' option, and you will be given a choice of which account to use ('current,' 'savings,' etc.) Select 'savings,' then enter the amount you wish to withdraw. Expect to pay an exorbitant fee of 150 baht for the privilege of accessing your own money.

I am just back from the banks and have successfully made a manual withdraw.

2 banks refused; Kreung Thai and Bangkok Bank.

I believe this maybe as they do not make commission from it, though I could be wrong.

The third bank, sorry I don't know the name but it is yellow, carried out the withdrawal of25,000B with no problem. I just needed my passport and the LloydsTSB Debit card.

Thanks all for help.