Uk Premium Bonds

I have been thinking about purchasing some premium bonds but when I checked the web-site it says that although you can buy them when living abroad, you cant in some countries that have anti gambling laws in place.

It states the USA as one, but does'nt name any others.

I was wondering if anyone knows whether Thailand is included in this list. I obviously know that Thailand has anti gambling laws but they also have their own lottery so how do the british government view this.

Does anyone know the answer???

HL :)

The thing that concerns me a little is that if I win they will send the cheque to Thailand and I'm a bit wary of the Thai postal service.

Unless you have the maximum holding you can elect to have any winnings paid in the form of new Premium Bonds. Of course they will still need to be posted bu you haven't got to bother cashing the cheque.

Don't worry about winning the million. if you win over £5k they will contact you and ask if you want a cheque or more Premium Bonds.

I have been thinking about purchasing some premium bonds but when I checked the web-site it says that although you can buy them when living abroad, you cant in some countries that have anti gambling laws in place.

But if the face value is 100 Quid and you receive 100 Quid whenever you cash them in then where's the gamble?

And why isn't it illegal to buy stocks and shares in countries that have anti gambling laws?

Or lottery tickets?

Hi Pattaya parent.....If you buy a lottery ticket and you dont win then you lose the lot.... but if you buy a premium bond then it keeps going into the draw every month until you redeem it and although you dont get any interest on the money you stand a chance of winning various prizes up to a million pounds.

So in answer to your question I guess that you are gambling the interest that your money would have earned in an investment account against winning a prize.

I dont know if it is illegal to buy stocks and shares over here as I have never tried, but I guess the reason you are allowed to buy lottery tickets over here is that the government pocket a large percentage of the stake money.

HL :)