October 12, 200916 yr I have a Chevy Optra, (didnt buy it was part of a deal) that is manual transmission, I was wondering if anyone could reccomend someone in Pattaya that would be able to carry out a conversion to Auto for me. Hard to resell a manual or part exchange so I'm sure its worth the effort. Thanks in advance for any help Edited October 12, 200916 yr by myfriendyou
October 12, 200916 yr It can technically be done but to be honest you are better off selling it as a manual and then using the money to buy an automatic. you are only asking for lots of heartache and money flowing from the wallet
October 12, 200916 yr Job and half to swop manual to auto. Its actually easier the other way about. Pedal box to be sourced & changed, gear selector console to be changed, wiring to be altered for selector illumination, kick down switch, in gear start inhibitor, auto gearbox ECU, etc. etc. As said, a job and half likely to be beset with problems after. Not really practical.
October 12, 200916 yr I have a Chevy Optra, (didnt buy it was part of a deal) that is manual transmission, I was wondering if anyone could reccomend someone in Pattaya that would be able to carry out a conversion to Auto for me.Hard to resell a manual or part exchange so I'm sure its worth the effort. Thanks in advance for any help I wouldn't recommend a) a Chevy Optra changing it to auto or c) Pattaya. My Grandad came from just a little bit east of the Pennines (ie God's own county), and when autos began sneaking into the UK market in the very early 50's, I asked him what he thought of them. He replied: "What do you think the Lord gave you a left hand for, if not to change gear?" I'm sure you could give me alternative ideas, even though the Wars of the Roses are long since o'er......
October 13, 200916 yr I have a Chevy Optra, (didnt buy it was part of a deal) that is manual transmission, I was wondering if anyone could reccomend someone in Pattaya that would be able to carry out a conversion to Auto for me.Hard to resell a manual or part exchange so I'm sure its worth the effort. Thanks in advance for any help I wouldn't recommend a) a Chevy Optra changing it to auto or c) Pattaya. My Grandad came from just a little bit east of the Pennines (ie God's own county), and when autos began sneaking into the UK market in the very early 50's, I asked him what he thought of them. He replied: "What do you think the Lord gave you a left hand for, if not to change gear?" I'm sure you could give me alternative ideas, even though the Wars of the Roses are long since o'er...... As the saying goes, "Only true sports cars are right hand drive."
October 13, 200916 yr when autos began sneaking into the UK market in the very early 50's And you think his advice is timeless?
October 13, 200916 yr Men drive manuals, i have a manual optra ,got it off the sister in law 3 months old,intening to sell it after about 6 months ,3 years later still driving it ,terrific little car ,never a problem .
October 13, 200916 yr when autos began sneaking into the UK market in the very early 50's And you think his advice is timeless? Even Ferraris come with autos now. A modern auto is faster and more fuelefficient than any manual. The engineers have doen a great job past 50 years
October 13, 200916 yr A modern auto is faster and more fuel efficient than any manual Right. Twin clutch auto on Evo X or Nissan GT-R much faster than manual But I love manual anyway
October 13, 200916 yr I have a Chevy Optra, (didnt buy it was part of a deal) that is manual transmission, I was wondering if anyone could reccomend someone in Pattaya that would be able to carry out a conversion to Auto for me.Hard to resell a manual or part exchange so I'm sure its worth the effort. Thanks in advance for any help Forget it, it's gonna be a nightmare. To much electronic involved. If you have a 1992 Corolla with carburetor, thai it would be possible, But todays cars: No way!
October 14, 200916 yr Not sure he needs a different ECU, from what I know about engine swaps, it doesn't matter, they just slap on a different transmission. Usually second hand engines come with auto, and it cost 15k extra to install manual instead, same price we paid for changing manual to auto in 1997 Corolla and an old MightyX truck.
October 14, 200916 yr Not sure he needs a different ECU, from what I know about engine swaps, it doesn't matter, they just slap on a different transmission. Usually second hand engines come with auto, and it cost 15k extra to install manual instead, same price we paid for changing manual to auto in 1997 Corolla and an old MightyX truck. Optra 1,6 and 1,8 probably doesnt need ECU swap. Check sparepartnumber for ECU auto and manual in Chevy dealer. Most cars need ECU swap, cause tourque is detuned milliseconds ahead of auto gearchange. Espesially turbo and kompressor engines.
October 14, 200916 yr Sorry, should have made it clearer, i was refering specifically to the TCU, which a manual box does not have. Therefor there will be no wiring for one. TCU Edited October 14, 200916 yr by Lancashirelad
November 10, 200916 yr I will admit that auto gearbox development has improved by leaps and bounds over the years, but there's nothing like flicking the lever through the gears, the whole control and directness of it...
November 11, 200916 yr Not a model I am familiar with. But 'Where there's a Will there's a way' as they say! Just make sure 'Will' isn't trying to ream you!
Create an account or sign in to comment