Na Krab

HalfSquat

I hear the Thais say it a lot and some farang but is it ok to say and if so when?

None of the language books I've seen use it so I wonder if it is appropriate for farang to use in everyday speak?

Thanks

Yep, นะครับ [na:(3) krap(3)] is just an even politer form of ครับ [krap]

You can use it whenever speaking to someone older than you or 'more senior'. May be a little over polite with younger people or staff in restaurants/bars etc, but it certainly won't cause offence in any situation.

Edited by SoftWater

I use it all the time, I rolls off the tongue easier than just saying Krub. You can also just end with "na" (instead of "na krub") with your close friends or children etc.

Krub Phom ครับผม is another formal way to say krub. Not sure how it compares to Na Krub though .. as far as I know though they are both just formal versions... anyone?

I use it all the time, I rolls off the tongue easier than just saying Krub. You can also just end with "na" (instead of "na krub") with your close friends or children etc.

Krub Phom ครับผม is another formal way to say krub. Not sure how it compares to Na Krub though .. as far as I know though they are both just formal versions... anyone?

"Khrap phom" ครับผม is more polite than "na khrap" นะครับ. In my experience, there is a difference between formality and politeness in Thai speech. I frequently hear "na khrap" used in formal announcements when someone is speaking to a crowd. I hear "Khrap phom" used more in one-on-one conversation where the speaker is trying to be as polite as possible to the listener (for example if the listener is an elder of the speaker).

Could it seem patronising or sarcastic when said to a waiter or taxi driver?

Like in England if you said "Thank you kind sir" when getting on the bus.

Using "na khrap" would not be out of place at all in that context.

As long as the person is the same age or older than you, even "khrap phom" would be fine. They would just think that you are an especially polite person. Just don't greet them with an obsequious wai, and you should be fine!

Could it seem patronising or sarcastic when said to a waiter or taxi driver?

Like in England if you said "Thank you kind sir" when getting on the bus.

Using "na khrap" would not be out of place at all in that context.

As long as the person is the same age or older than you, even "khrap phom" would be fine. They would just think that you are an especially polite person. Just don't greet them with an obsequious wai, and you should be fine!

Khap Khun na khrap. :)

I think there is something misunderstood here. นะครับ and ครับ are not the same.

ครับ and ครับผม are the same, you can switch from one to another while you are listening to someone telling you something for telling that you are listening or understand what that one is telling you.

For example;

A: นี่คุณ พรุ่งนี้เข้าประชุมคุณต้องเตรียมเอกสารการประชุมด้วยนะ

B: ครับ or ครับผม

A: แล้วก็ไปเตรียมตัวให้เรียบร้อยก่อนการประชุมด้วย

A: อ้อ อย่าลืมไปบอกฝ่ายบัญชีให้เข้าประชุมด้วย

either is fine. You might say ครับ, ครับผม, ครับ or ครับผม, ครับ, ครับผม or ครับ, ครับ, ครับผม, all are the same. But you can't say นะครับ on this context if you are B.

นะ or นะครับ or นะคะ is used when you want to ask or persuade someone to do something, telling someone that you will do something or when you say thank, sorry, excuse, congratulate.

For examples;

- when you want to ask or persuade someone to do something;

คุณช่วยเอาเอกสารมาให้ผมหน่อยนะ (or นะครับ)

ไปดูหนังด้วยกันนะ ( or นะครับ or นะคะ)

- telling someone that you will do something;

ผมกลับบ้านก่อนนะ (or นะครับ)

ผมจะลาออกจากงานแล้วนะ (or นะครับ)

- when you say thank, sorry, excuse, congratulate. (For this case, นะ is additional to make it sounds more sincere.)

ขอบคุณนะ (or นะครับ or นะคะ)

or ขอบคุณครับ, ขอบคุณค่ะ

เสียใจด้วยนะ (or นะครับ or นะคะ)

or เสียใจด้วยครับ, เสียใจด้วยค่ะ

ขอโทษนะ (or นะครับ or นะคะ)

or ขอโทษครับ, ขอโทษค่ะ

ยินดีด้วยนะ (or นะครับ or นะคะ)

or ยินดีด้วยครับ, ยินดีด้วยค่ะ

Nice clear answer K. Yoot. You have taken a simple topic to another level with your distinctions. Although I know and use all forms properly, I have never really taken the time to formally distinguish when and why I use certain forms.

Thank you for using whole sentences as examples too. I always like to see Thai grammar naturally the way a Thai person thinks - it helps me learn too.