Buying a restaurant in bkk

:o  :D

Is this real?

All I can say is you will get plenty of replies for this. If you have enough money to throw away, it is ok.

But if this is your Life Time Savings, then do not do this until the day you can move in to Bangkok  B)

You need Good Luck.

:cool:

Jai Dee,

Thanks Grandiose for the reference. Our company does do management for individuals not in the country.  Our only requirement is your firm has a POS system and your accountant pays the appropriate taxes on earnings.  

Regards,

Greg Lange

Managing Director

Sunbelt Asia

www.sunbeltasia.com

02-642-0213-8

Guest IT Manager

Is this real?

All I can say is you will get plenty of replies for this. If you have enough money to throw away, it is ok.

But if this is your Life Time Savings, then do not do this until the day you can move in to Bangkok  B)

You need Good Luck.

:cool:

Just for the record Kwiz, both ourselves and Sunbelt by the sound of it, are required to carry out certain business related operations for overseas clients. This has included opening, registering adn starting a company on someone elses behalf.

Actual cost relates the workload as a percentage of hours worked for the customer during each week, which is accurately reported and invoiced. In our case at between 650 baht and 800 baht per hour.

There are many foreigners wanting someone to manage a part of their business or affairs from time to time. We provide the service at an extremely reasonable cost, as does sunbelt most likely, allowing people who can and do leave the country for various lengths of time to relax, with very few concerns.

Should you be able to leave the country at some time, it may be something you could use, but see Sunbelt, not us.

Jai Dees post was reasonable and your response was rude and ill-informed in my opinion and you owe both of them an apology for it.

Jai Dees post was reasonable and your response was rude and ill-informed in my opinion and you owe both of them an apology for it.

I have not said any rude thing in my reply. I just saw it as funny after reading all the replies in the "Farang Cheat Farang" post.

The idea behind your services and sunbelt services are good. But when it comes to practice, I mean the Guy who really own it, it is too risky.

We are now in a period where we even can not trust the books cook by the Auditors.

Anyway a simple question,

Do you think that an unknow farang in Thailand will manage your Business, Bank all money and show you the correct profits if you decide to relocate to your Country one day?

In my books you are thinking of a perfect world here... :cool:

Guest IT Manager

Kwiz, professionally, having performed the service, as have Sunbelt, it does happen and it does work.

If I depended on IT for my living I would not be. IT opens all sorts of gates, and doors or whatever. It's what you do with the opening that means you survive or not.

First year, re your question is hardest, becasuue there is no history to use as a balance sheet. After that your own staff should be able to do it.

In my opinion, a restaurant is not a business I would be happy to take on in this role, becasue of hours, staff capacity to defraud, etc. A good example may be a small electronics manufacturing plant, which I do quite regularly, 3-4 months each year. The charge to the client is under 12,000 baht per month.

Chaps you seem to have forgot , Kwiz is not a farang , he is an Asian living in Thailand , English is not his first language , he apologises in advance for appearing to be a rude bastard.

Oh it says that at the bottom of each post... :o  :D  B)

Kwiz as you are not Thai , why do you call us farang? Can we call you Kairk?

CHON..

OK..you can call me from any name you want. I am used to it and I do always respect any Nationality. Also do not ask me whether I like "We call you Kirk" in the future. You can call anything you want and do not put all other decent farang gentleman in this forum in to your Basket.

I did not call my self Farang here and it is not an issue at all. So do not change the rails..Chon.. stick in to the Topic..

Oh..do you think that the word Farang is so great and they will treat you like a God in this country for simply comming from England. You are mistaken. Also do you think by cally me Krik that I will get so disapointed.

It is interesting that you have highlighted about my English in your reply..

Living and studying in England , I know the Grammer and spelling standard in England. So lets not talk that subject with me again. I know my English as an Asian to survive and know how to handle guys like you very well.

I do respect the way IT has expressed his disagreement for what I have written but not yours. You are always like this and this is not the first time you try to take the nationality issue here to make my point knock down..

Also I am not the only one who got into your Mad Slagging campaign to other Nationalities.

I can well remember the way you let down one French guy for his spelling mistakes in this forum.

If you think you are successful then..you think like that by yourself..I do not care..

Giving all due respect to all Farang in Thailand [Yes, exclude me as I have another nick name], I should say that I have some experience with some Farang like Chon before.

Now he will come up and say, it is easy to type but harder to defend in front of him...or facing each other..

That is how he has replied to some other posts in times like this and to me before..

So Chon..I know your colors and do not put down that point again here..

ok let me now get back to the Topic and to what IT has written.

IT,

I do agree with what you say. But as I have advised to others in Thailand as a Certified Chartered Accountant from UK, it is too risky and the control for the Investor is minimal.

These restaurant businesses are not like large Companies where he can appoint non-executive directors or a Managing Partner. Also it is very easy to play off as many of the records will go Personal Basis to avoid paying taxes etc..

If this guy turns into Sunbelt or you, then he will be lucky. But what if the guy he selects is another Farang Crook like the ones described under "Farang cheat Farang" topic. What assurance you can give it to him?

Though you seem to be a gentleman, but in today’s world, how can a person trust you without knowing your record in person.

I am not trying to put your business down here. I am trying to prove the basis of my advice to the original post.

You must have read "Brit nabs Brit" in the Bangkok post last week. I am not sure the accuracy of the story. But what I like to highlight is, these things can be possible when we deal with money. Specially in Thailand.

Also it differs from a situation where a Farang living in Thailand, and then handing over the business to another Company or farang know to him to manage and a Farang completely new to Thailand and trying to do it for the first time.

Hope you will agree with me that the chances of getting played off is much much higher in the second case.

To All of you,

Finally it is very interesting how all of you managed to see the Reply that I sent to the Original Post.

No one ever commented on anything how he has addressed me in his reply.

Dr PP..I do respect for the advices you give in this forum and the way you manage this forum.. I am wondering on what basis you joined with Chon to create an impression on Chons reply to me.

Chaps you seem to have forgot , Kwiz is not a farang , he is an Asian living in Thailand , English is not his first language , he apologises in advance for appearing to be a rude bastard.

CHON

Since you are so keen to know the reason for above many times, let me explain why.

It is because my GF is Thai and I consider my self to be like a Thai coz that much I respect Thailand and love Thailand.

It is similar to how My BRITSH FATHER chose by relocating to Sri Lanka to live with my Mother.

I do hope that you are not from UK. Coz my Father is a British Citizen like myself [Yes, I do have the Britsh Nationality as well], and I have not seen any qualities like this from him or from any of his or from my British Friends.

So why don’t you disclose this Forum from where you are? It will be interesting to know, who this [any word you can select] is?

But I do wish to be a Non-Native Asian as most of my life time I have spent in Sri Lanka.

Hope you will be brave enough to answer my question above..

Jai Dee,

Have you ever owned a restaurant, are you aware of the fact that running a restaurant is a full time job?

There might be some reputable companies who are willing to run the restaurant for you when you are overseas, but this would mean they would have to put a staff member of theirs on this full time in order to do this properly. Running a restaurant means having to sit on top of it all the time, to prevent cheating by those doing the shopping, the waitresses, the cashier and so on. It is not only about cheating, a manager is also needed to make sure everything functions smoothly and customers are happy. For a restaurant it is very easy to get a bad reputation.

The company you would entrust your restaurant to might be reputable, but it is less easy to be sure about the person they will give the task of running your restaurant. How long has this individual be working for that company? Too many times I saw ads in Thai newspapers stating that Mr xxx is no longer employed by yyy company since (date) and that the company will not be bound by any actions carried out by this individual after (date).

Very scary, to entrust your business to a person completely unknown to you. Why dont you stay at the safe side, and purchase a restaurant in Bangkok once you are ready to settle there?

With all due respect, most restaurant owners have to be at the location full time. They need to make an effort to prevent stealing. Most owners will NOT use software but their eyes. Some eyes are better than others and know how to fire up the troops. Its true with a professional management team, you'll never equal the same productivity as SOME owners. It’s their pride and joy; they will work free if they have to.

A pro Management team has the knowledge however of looking at the financials to monitor food costs, employee productivity, etc, etc. They will do spot checks, professional marketing. It’s a system!

Which method works better?

The ideal situation is an outgoing personality old timer that is sharp as a fax with numbers. He or she is always learning and treats the restaurant as a business. He has his system and enjoys and loves the business. The employees feed off this owner and emulate him or her.

The second best situation is a professional management team. It’s better than easily 60% of restaurant owners who don’t work the hours; they make the restaurant their own kitchen for guests and treat it like a hobby. The pro mgmt team will outperform in many many cases this type of owner. It's not even close.

By the way, cheating is much much less in Thailand than many other countries. HOWEVER once it starts...look out as it will spread like wildfire. Rather than tell, the other employees will" Monkey see..monkey do" Inventory control and spot checks are a must.

we use a team approach rather than one manager assign to the restaurant. Keeps our team on its toes as well!

Yes, I may have jumped too much by writing a too hash reply to you in reply to the above well written statement.

But I think I should defend the people like my self and you’re Son, from people like you keep on highlighting this Farang, Kirk, Jed Asian classifications in Thailand.

Just read the above quote again. You did not mean directly that I try to make myself into the category of Farang. But you have implied it clearly from your above statement.

Otherwise, tell me, why you talk about Farang and why you ask me whether “You’ll can call me Kirk” to a topic that has nothing to do with it.

[if you like to reply to this, please quote this part and reply the reason. No need to talk about other unrelated facts]

Tell me, have I deviate my answer from the Original Post until you write to me above?

Now you are brushing up the things by writing down your Intercultural affairs. I have many US and European friends. We help each other and also we work together. Your case is unique. Why I asked whether you are from UK or not is coz you wanted me to disclose my background, where I come from before so the readers can understand the different opinions and the background of the writer. Hope you can remember?

I took your advice and put it as a signature.

Read your quote again. Now, what you have written about it. Also read, how IT and Dr PP took it.

I know some gentleman can understand what u has written and refrain from commenting on it. Not all. You get people like Dr PP, IT to second it.

Anyway, at last others have expressed the actual facts and the potential problems related to the Original Post.

If you also put down your points in that line, that will enhance this topic in a meaningful way than making this a Farang, Kirk issue.

For me, the classification of Farang, Kirk, and Jed is not much different from “Black and White” Definition that you guys used sometimes back. I am sorry, that is how I feel.

Also I am sure that is how your Son born to UK/Thai will feel one day.

[ By the way, I sent you a Birthday Greetings from a PM around 2 weeks back. Hope you did not consider that as  offensive]  B)

Kwiz as you are not Thai , why do you call us farang?

Kwiz , in my statement I say why do YOU call US farang?

Not why do YOU call YOU farang?

How is that implying that you consider yourself farang?

I'm lost.

Basically the Thais are the ones who categorise us , my natural son is a look-krung ( half/half) this is an acceptable word in Thailand.

He does not protecting from mysellf or anyone else .

My Thai , adopted, Son is integrated into British society, in a way that I doubt my natural son would ever be if we moved back to Isaan.

Regarding Dr and IT , I think that they were just happy to see a bit of levity on this board.

btw the first few lines of my original post are just a  take on your disclaimer at the bottom of your posts.

Thanks for the PM.