Good Coffee In Pats

media

I'm a coffee lover, you prob are too otherwise u wouldn't be reading this, in my opinion star bucks is really not good coffee, I don't like those horrible mugs either, I am currently into Late coffee, I personally think that the best one is at Gaffare coffee shop next to tukom and belive it or not u can get a decent late at bhudda view point on the hill there's a lovely converted beatle camper van coffee shop there, any other decent coffee about?

I'm a coffee lover, I am currently into Late coffee,

How late is that... after 10:00pm :D ...... Personally I prefer Latte Coffee. :)

Sorry about that.....

I thoroughly agree with your opinion on Starbucks and would also love to hear some recommendations on where to get a decent cup of coffee in Pattaya area.

Everyone has their preferences and where the best coffee can be gotten is really tough.

Whether you drink a late or a latte' each person's taste is so different how can anyone tell another except to give this one or that one a try and decide for yourself. Drinking coffee and drinking the coffee drinks is not the same. Plain, strong black coffee is my choice.

And I like SB and the mugs. Maybe not the best but good for me. And the eye candy you get when sitting in Starbucks at Tukcom or the Avenue is pretty nice too.

I'm a coffee lover, you prob are too otherwise u wouldn't be reading this, in my opinion star bucks is really not good coffee, I don't like those horrible mugs either, I am currently into Late coffee, I personally think that the best one is at Gaffare coffee shop next to tukom and belive it or not u can get a decent late at bhudda view point on the hill there's a lovely converted beatle camper van coffee shop there, any other decent coffee about?

"Late" or lattes are not coffee beverages...it is a coffee flavored milk beverage...like chocolate milk. You like "coffee milk" and this has nothing to do with enjoying good coffee.

'fraid I flew out on Monday otherwise I'd invite you round for ga phe da (Vietnamese iced coffee - Trung Nguyen coffee) but now you'll have to make the trip to HCMC where there are thousands of coffee shops that make the liquified <deleted> sold in Starbucks taste like what it is.

I agree with IHC that decent coffee does not need milk but, gotlost, I personally prefer a shot of Jamesons over Baileys.

Did you know that after Brazil, Viet Nam is the second largest coffee exporting nation.

Another semi-useless factoid.

Viet coffee is basically a cheaper bean that is massively burned and over roasted, French roast style. I like it too but it ain't even close to the best coffee in the world, yes Starbucks even offers better beans than that. Starbucks is just another convenient target for the anti-American set. McDonalds food deserves it in my opinion, but Starbucks doesn't, except for their high prices. Hiso Thais and others seem to like paying their high prices, it gives them prestige. The funny thing about Starbucks is that they mostly sell what I call dessert coffees, usually their actual straight up coffee is pretty good.

Edited by Jingthing

Here are some of the best places (in my opinion) for coffee in Pattaya, the list is in no particular order:

1) Pitini Cafe on Soi Buakhow - originally opened by an Italian-American who sought out the best beans and roaster in Thailand

2) The new coffee shop on Soi Excite, on the right hand side headed to Soi Buakhow (about half way down) - owned by an enterprising young Thai and his girlfriend. He understands coffee.

3) The coffee place on the ground floor of Central, on the beach frontage area just in front of the elevators

Depending upon your taste, you may have to request less water if you are drinking espresso.

Latte is a coffee drink, it has a full shot of espresso in it. It's not just coffee flavored.

Edited by kicking

1) Pitini Cafe on Soi Buakhow - originally opened by an Italian-American who sought out the best beans and roaster in Thailand

2) The new coffee shop on Soi Excite, on the right hand side headed to Soi Buakhow (about half way down) - owned by an enterprising young Thai and his girlfriend. He understands coffee.

3) The coffee place on the ground floor of Central, on the beach frontage area just in front of the elevators

Thank you Kicking, I will be checking these places out on my next visit to Pattaya, even if my stay is only brief.

Latte is a coffee drink, it has a full shot of espresso in it. It's not just coffee flavored.

Agreed. I drink a cappuccino almost every morning, and a pot of coffee (French press) throughout the day at work. Can't wait to try the local variety in Pattaya.

Next to Tim Bar / Villa Market, open air Thai restaurant - they have proper coffee. B25.

I carry a thung in my backpack and store a press using as I can. Viet coffee is great, for the price. Robusto beans yuck. If it wasn't for the roast it would be crap.

Edited by bangkokburning

Cheers guys, and yes I agree that real coffee drinkers like straight up black as it comes this Late thing is just a phase for me!

I see that nobody recommended "gafae" the shop before tukom next to seven eleven, it's a must place to try the coffee, I tried that new shop called wawee coffee on the left around the corner after the walking st entrance, it is ok but they don't give you a complimentary water like in gafae, but they do have mac computers thatyou can pay to use, handy if you want to pass some time browsing and don't have your note book with you

thank you, oevna, for pointing to that place in Central, will check it out..

about latte.. not really a phase for me, quite habit forming. while useless in mornings, latte is a good thing late at night when in no mood for espresso.

another good thing about it, I can destroy about 4 of those in an hour, can't do same with cappuccino.

Now, if we must put down some of those milky coffee drinks I humbly submit everything SB sells exept espresso, cappuccino and latte. while I have not tryed most of their strange offerings, every now and then I get free sample of some new thing they try to promote.. some seriously unpleasant experiences.. :)

Viet coffee is basically a cheaper bean that is massively burned and over roasted, French roast style. I like it too but it ain't even close to the best coffee in the world, yes Starbucks even offers better beans than that. Starbucks is just another convenient target for the anti-American set. McDonalds food deserves it in my opinion, but Starbucks doesn't, except for their high prices. Hiso Thais and others seem to like paying their high prices, it gives them prestige. The funny thing about Starbucks is that they mostly sell what I call dessert coffees, usually their actual straight up coffee is pretty good.

Starbucks is just another convenient target for the anti-American set.

I have never set foot in a Starbucks and never will, for the following reasons,

http://www.starbucksunion.org/node?from=5

http://www.starbucksunion.org/node/2130

http://grsbuxunion.blogspot.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starbucks_Workers_Union

McDonalds food deserves it in my opinion

I will never set foot in a Mcdonalds, because I dont support their supporting terrorism.

I'm a coffee lover, I am currently into Late coffee,

How late is that... after 10:00pm :D ...... Personally I prefer Latte Coffee. :)

Sorry about that.....

I thoroughly agree with your opinion on Starbucks and would also love to hear some recommendations on where to get a decent cup of coffee in Pattaya area.

LOL. ya beat me.

Akshully I ask for caffèlatte, ask for latte in some shops and you get what you asked for, MILK.

At home, I buy flat white when out, you get the same with less of the space filling expensive froth.

Best coffee in LoS was bought in Chiang Mai, about 500 metres along from the Amaria.

Love me espresso machine.

Edited by Zpete

For me, a good coffee is one made with freshly roasted beans. The taste of coffee should be fairly strong in my mouth, long after I have drunk it.

In this regard I have had some horrible coffee in Pattaya but one place where I get a coffee made to my liking is a small coffee stand half way along the upstairs floor of Carrefours. The coffee stand is situated in the centre of the arcade with about six sets of tables and chairs scattered around it.

Well worth a visit.

Any opinions on Mokador Coffee that has been around Pattaya for a couple of years?

They claim their customers are mostly up-scale restaurants and they have/had a shop diagonally across from Carrefour on Pattaya Klang.

Owner told me they "age" their roasted beans in silos in Italy for 20 days, like aging wine. Exactly opposite of what I was always told-- to brew the coffee as soon as possible after roasting for the best taste.

From another ThaiVisa coffee thread:

"MOKADOR . . . originally from Italy . . . it really is excellent coffee."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Dark-Side-t1...0&p=2073332

http://www.mokador.com/page.php?lang=en§=qualita

Peet's claims to the coffee "experts" in the U.S. A lot of interesting info for coffee lovers.

http://www.peets.com/learn/perfect_cup.asp

It may come as a surprise--it did to me--but the best coffee, and MUCH cheaper than elsewhere, is to be found at an ALL THAI joint inside Soi Buakaow market. It is run by a Thai Chinese family..and they KNOW coffee.

A year or so ago, they invested in a big roaster..and their coffee is certainly fresh roasted. They have a full range of styles..as well as good pastries.

It's difficult to try to explain where it is, since the market is a rambling collection of constantly shifting outlets.

However, since Benjawan's coffee is a fixture...I'll try.

If you enter the market--any day, not just market days Tuesday and Friday-- BETWEEN the two motor bike shops on the two corners, walk 50 metres into the throng..and turn right.

Benjawan's is about 200 metres down the aisle..on the right.

I'd be happy to take anyone who fancies cutting his/her coffee costs in half...AND getting really great coffee.

PM me..and be prepared for a pleasant surprise.

Brian

It may come as a surprise--it did to me--but the best coffee, and MUCH cheaper than elsewhere, is to be found at an ALL THAI joint inside Soi Buakaow market. It is run by a Thai Chinese family..and they KNOW coffee. However, since Benjawan's coffee is a fixture.

Sound interesting...if I'm in the area I will seek it out...what are they hours...do they open early and stay open late?

"not just market days Tuesday and Friday-- BETWEEN the two motor bike shops on the two corners"

Soi Buakaow is a VERY long Soi -- Are you referring to the Tuesday/Friday Market sprawling for several blocks at the south end of Buakaow where it meets South Pattaya Rd. ( Pattaya Tai )?

If so, are the two motor bike shops on the two corners of Buakaow and Pattaya Tai or somewhere else?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Based on what he wrote I would say he is saying enter soi Buakaow from Pattaya tai go between the 2 motorbike shops on the corner for about 50 meters and turn right down the walk in front of the shop houses that face the marketplace on Tuesday and Friday and face the open dirt area on other days when no tents are there. You would now be walking east in the 3rd road direction. The coffee place is about 200 meters from where you made the right turn off of soi Buakaow which would put it almost to the next soi.

Somebody go there and tell me that the coffee is great and a good price