Ebook Readers

Trickcyclist

What will an ebook reader do that a net-book can't do? My desktop has Microsoft reader installed and it can read the book with a synthesized voice. The text size is adjustable and I can download many free books. It would work the same way with a net-book.

The main advantage of an Ebook reader against a PDA-Netbook-Iphone is that the e-ink display allow you to read the same way a traditional book does. You don't get your eyes tired with the LCD screen flickering and, opposite to the LCD screens, more the light better you read, try to read an Ebook on the beach with an Iphone or a laptop...

Ah, forgot an Ebook reader has weeks of battery life, against a few hours with the LCD devices.

What do you need more?

I much prefer to have a book read to me. My Nokia, a Zen Stone and my GPS all work with audio books. I especially like the GPS playing books through the car stereo. It's difficult to read while you're driving. :)

I want to get a dedicated eBook reader. Must be able to do normal pdf files or at least come with software to convert to whatever format it displays.

The Kindle 2 does not read PDF, nor will it display PDF files properly after conversion. The Kindle DX does. Many of the Sony readers also accept PDF, check the documentation. Barnes and Noble has a new one out as well.

And if you want an e-reader, get an e-reader, they do exactly what they were designed to do.......read a book that looks like it is on paper.

Ignore GaryA.........I think an e-book must have attacked him as a child :)

I firmly believe the future of the books will be in the electronic way.

I'm little skeptical (at the actual state of the art) about a similar future for the newspapers and magazines.

In the next future (it's starting already) we'll see a huge development in this kind of media, bringing is cheaper readers, with bigger and colors screens, with a wider choice of ebooks (hope cheaper too).

The power of this market can be seen also from the quantity of pirated ebooks available now on the net...

I want to get a dedicated eBook reader. Must be able to do normal pdf files or at least come with software to convert to whatever format it displays.

The Kindle 2 does not read PDF, nor will it display PDF files properly after conversion. The Kindle DX does. Many of the Sony readers also accept PDF, check the documentation. Barnes and Noble has a new one out as well.

And if you want an e-reader, get an e-reader, they do exactly what they were designed to do.......read a book that looks like it is on paper.

Ignore GaryA.........I think an e-book must have attacked him as a child :)

Actually I am just trying to get some idea of what makes an e book reader attractive. It's like, why would you stand when you can sit down? Why would you read when you can listen? I'm not poking fun, I really simply don't understand.

I think it is apples and oranges, I have audio books on my Kindle, but you know have not listened to them yet........can't say why, just like to be able to read at my own pace I guess. Although what you say about listening to a book while driving is a very valid point.

Here is a very interesting artcile from The Register on eBoos and readers

Books: What to read on which reader

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/22/ebook_content/

I think there has to be more rationalisation in the market before I would buy a dedicated reader (if ever).

I certainly don't want to be tied to a single supplier for my books no matter how big a choice Amazon has

new upgrade is giving about 60%-85% battery life increase also.

On the subject of Kindle 2's just got 2 delivered including 2 leather covers via amazon and shipito.com to bangkok for 23000THB including Fedex priority shipping to BKK and customs charges etc.

Compare that to Kindlethai.com 13500 for 1 without any leather cover...........hmmm

Amazon won't deliver the Kindle itself here, but I can confirm the new International one can download books here. Admittedly, it might be that mine is a little odd as the web browser is working here also, and I'm fairly sure that the web browser is supposed to only work in HK, Japan, Mexico and the US.

Have found that my Kindle works at my house, and in the car most of the time, and outside in places like Siam Square, but there definitely seem to be areas where it doesn't get a signal. Regent House (UK visa application centre) seems to be in a dead zone for instance, and inside Fashion Island mall.

I'm assuming this is where it can't get a GPRS/EDGE/HSDPA signal just. (GSM is always generally available according to the bars on my phone).

my thoughts on the above article in response to his 7 points.

1. He does not understand the concept of electronic paper - No eye strain paper look and text quality contrast. Battery life of 2 weeks with the new Kindle! Nothing worse than reading on your iphone or netbook and the battery goes dead. Rumoured Apple Tablet is only that rumour and will not be electronic ink therefore expect eye strain for longer reading periods.

2. Amazon Kindle is now US$250.00 I don't see why he is comparing ebook reader devices to mobile phone contracts....

3. Again nobody likes to do extended novel reading on your laptop or mobile phone. ref above eye strain secondly pulling out your laptop on the plane bus train is a pain in the ass. Take the kindle out put your seat back and relax on your 14 hour long haul flight without battery fears or indeed finishing the book with nothing else to read. Start off the flight reading a newspaper sent to your kindle automatically followed by a flick through the latest time magazin again delivered wirelessly to your kindle. Nothing to read before u get on the plane just finished the book in the departure lounge? just scan through on your kindle pick the book you want to buy and have it delivered wirelessly to you right there in minutes.

4. if your going to be committed to any book reader and I do not see the downside of that no one is going to compete more on price and quantity than the largest book seller in the world. Amazon.

5. It's not about being exciting or having the latest WOW Gadget. Its for those who love to read and those who do get it as a gift that love reading whether its the new gadget or not WILL be impressed with it.

6. Everyone who wants one already has one.....is that a serious argument. I know plenty of people who want a Iphone but dont have one yet. I know plenty of people who want a macbook but don't have one yet. Stupid point to fill in space.

7. Barnes & Noble reader is great and sold out. However I feel safer going with Amazon the support is excellent for kindle, the book price is cheaper and the quantity and wireless service (Globally) takes some beating. Amazon is the household name and I feel the one that will always set the trend on ebook readers and the one most likely to survive.

Anyway thats my 7 points for ebook readers make great gifts this year.

Edited by namoo

I have a reader already, but I would be happy to receive a Barnes & Noble one!

Most of people talking about the superiority of a tablet or of an Iphone I guess they never read an ebook with a proper e-ink reader.

Sure every year new devices get out and price will go down, color e-ink will come, but this happen with every electronic device

(my first plasma was 150.000 baht, after 5 years I got a better one for a 29.000).

So, if somebody want to damage their eyes reading a book with a laptop or whatever, feel free to do.

I just can agree about the magic of a traditional, well printed and bounded, smelly book

• 2 weeks later...

you can get kindle's from thaikindle.com if your prepared to pay his ridiculous prices.

Otherwise no. But easy to order from amazon to shipito.com then to thailand for about 2000thb cheaper all in than what thaikindle.com is charging

you can get kindle's from thaikindle.com if your prepared to pay his ridiculous prices.

Otherwise no. But easy to order from amazon to shipito.com then to thailand for about 2000thb cheaper all in than what thaikindle.com is charging

Hi namoo,

Thank you for the info. I've bookmarked SHIPITO for future reference and possible use.

Greg

And yet a possily even more interesting story from Slashdot

A team has managed to open the Barnes and Noble Nook e-reader, gaining full access to the operating system. From the article: 'The Nook is now a computer running a full Android operating system, with a built-in, free cellular connection to the internet. It also has a battery that lasts days, not hours

This development would make me much more interested in an eBook reader

The full article is here

Some of you may be interested in this article at

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1...er-comes-iphone

NOT SATISFIED with the uptake of its Kindle ebook reader, Amazon has launched a Kindle app for the Iphone.

Not sure why that's news? It's not a recent development. (The iphone app was available well before the Kindle went international.)

P.S. The update that was installed appears to have stopped the web browser working here any more. But I can confirm that I was able to download a book from the Kindle store earlier this week without leaving the comfort of my deckchair at the beach. Way better than going to a book store in Thailand with their pretty limited book selections...

Edited by bkk_mike