Mp3s - Where Can I Get Enough To Fill Ipod?

h5n1

i want to buy an ipod / mp3 player but i dont want to spend a fortune on music. ive had a look at the new it mall in pattaya but the selection is lame. im sure there are scads at panthip but even this may set me back a huge sum.

does anyone know where i can purchase mp3s on a per song or per album basis?

anyone has a large collection that would be willing to share it with me. i would be happy to pay you to burn some discks for me. of course, theprice is for the discs not the songs. we wouldnt want to break any laws ...

stuff like this:

very selected oldies and country (cash, cline, wynette, select parton, wnelson)

60s/70s hippie-yippie songs

select motown

select surf music

missisippi/delta blues

70s progressive music (elo, early genesis, early yes, gentle giant, bowie, tull, etc...)

80s alt/progressive music (gabriel/eno/fripp, the the, 4ad label, joy division, early smiths, 80s dance bands, etc...

90-00s trance (various), alternative

asian dance/pop tunes (played often in bars)

thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

theprice is for the discs not the songs. we wouldnt want to break any laws ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're right ... I charge 80 baht for the CD.

If you don't want to pay that, you better have someone buying them US$0.99 per track in the US or any other country where these services exist.

If you go to MP3.com, acid.com or download.com you can download free songs (but don't expect popular names).

Another option is www.weedshare.com, legal sharing (but again, except from Heart no popular names). You may play them three times then you have to buy them (a dollar or so). They have full albums.

hello,

a good source for some mp3's , especially the techno(house, ambient, trance (of which i downloaded 3 GB) is epitonic.com, free and absolutely legal. if you have a good download manager (i use stardownloader), you can stack them all up and download away. it takes some mouseclicking to get them all though.

Edited by joka

I have been out of LOS for over a year; then, you could buy cheaply almost every type of music in MP3 format from Printip Centre in Bangkok.

Has this trade been cleaned up?

Apart from that, the best advice you have received is Usenet, newsgroups. Although you must ensure your ISP supplies an adequate selection of mp3 groups with a relative high retention time. Plus there are no download limits in your agreement.

It is possible to make an agreement with a private supplier of Usenet, for about $15 a month that satisfies the above conditions. Then you can download to your hearts content.

As an avid collector of music, I must admit to having over 300GBs of mp3 files, collected in this way.

It might also be a good idea to check these sites out: http://www.boycott-riaa.com/; http://www.p2punite.net/; http://www.eff.org/ as you are entering a world of conflicting, confusing and often very vindictive legal and pseudo-legal argument.

I did reply a couple of days ago but cannot see my post, maybe I did something wrong as I am new on this board. Saw the MP3 bit and also love my music so like this format too. Great for backing up all your albums and storing them well.

I got hold of a MP3 album that saves me all the backing up of my Genesis collection and is called MBUS Music Backup Service, which the warning notice says is legal provided you own all the albums contained on the CD. There is virtually the complete collection of Genesis studio albums all on one CD and good quality too and all properly tagged and sorted. Email address on the album cover is [email protected] for details of what they offer, mainly classic groups such as Genesis, Floyd etc.

Places like Panthip and the new one in Pattaya offer many MP3 discs but they are very shoddily put together often with tracks and complete albums missing, also mainly tagged and labelled badly too. Very cheap and cheerful though and a good inexpensive source.

I have a Creative Jukebox MP3 player, a little old now but excellent. ThHe iPod is supposed to be the bees knees for these types of players so the guy who started this thread has got himself a good player indeed.

Edited by rayw

I have over 80GB of the UK's essential mixes on 20(ish) DVD's.. About 80GB's worth and well over 1000 hours of high quality house / trance / etc.. Baring a few lost mixes its every set from the shows initial start in the early 90's up to start of 2004.

I also have a selection of blues / soul / Stax-volt / motown etc media..

You dont say where you are but if you wanted to post me a 100GB drive or bring a computer with NIC to where my media server is I would be happy to fill it for you... I am in Patong Phuket..

With the Thai mailing system I am not happy to allow my hard backups out of my hands..

i want to buy an ipod / mp3 player but i dont want to spend a fortune on music. ive had a look at the new it mall in pattaya but the selection is lame. im sure there are scads at panthip but even this may set me back a huge sum.

anyone has a large collection that would be willing to share it with me. i would be happy to pay you to burn some discks for me. of course, theprice is for the discs not the songs. we wouldnt want to break any laws ...

stuff like this:

select motown

select surf music

missisippi/delta blues

70s progressive music (elo, early genesis, early yes, gentle giant, bowie, tull, etc...)

80s alt/progressive music (gabriel/eno/fripp, the the, 4ad label, joy division, early smiths, 80s dance bands, etc...

thanks

No one has mentioned turning existing CD into MP3 format there are plenty of free programmes that do this such as at www.musicmatch.com basically if you have the CD and a computer you have MP3, so that makes getting the CDs the problem probably an easier one to solve.

Edited by spacebass

The OP doesn't mention whether they own a Mac computer or not, but if they do, they could automate their acquistion of music via Podcasting and RSS feeds. I'm not sure if this is possible using iTunes on Windo$e though it may well be.

While it's a tad tricky to setup intially, once it is setup it becomes an effortless flow of music traversing from the Internet to your computer and then on to your iPod.

Start reading more on the topic here:

http://www.ipodlounge.com/articles_more.php?id=P6470_0_8_0_C

and here:

http://ipodderx.com/

^ I been using this setup for a month to great satisfaction.

Edited by GoodHeart

stuff like this:

select motown

select surf music

missisippi/delta blues

thanks

I have the new iPod mini and have many CDs and DVDs of music in various formats. The iTunes that comes with the iPod will convert it for you. The advantage of the CD aspect is the automatic updating and naming of the songs and track info (amazing really). MP3 is a compressed version of the CDI file and quality must suffer with the more compression. Compilation CDs seem to be the best source of material or downloading from a legit service. I probably didn't help much. :D

:o

i just want to thank everyone. i was thinking about the ipod, butthat is open. i dont have a computer, hoping to find a bunch of mp3 i could buy cheap. trouble with the disks here in thailand is that they often include stuff (lots) you dont want -so at 80b a disk, it could be a bargain or not depending on your desires.

theres much good info and ill look into the download sites. ill have a fast connection only about a week when i go back to states in a few weeks. iother than that its buying them here on cd. cant very well download 40gb a mp3 at the internet cafe.

ps: if i had computer there would be lots of thngsi could do (ie ripping, quality goesup... but i dont)

thanks so much!!