Windows Xp Re-install

oldgeezer

Last time I re-installed windows XP, I had to perform over 150 updates. Since then, I have installed windows SP3. If I am to reinstall winxp, will I still have 150+ updates to perform or does sp3 include?

Wife's laptop needs winxp repair.

Thanks to you gurus out there

Edited by oldgeezer

Service Packs are cumulative, meaning SP3 includes all updates in SP1 and SP2. So if you install Windows XP with SP3 (integrated), the only updates you will need are the ones released *after* SP3. I can't give you an exact number, but there's quite a few... 60 maybe??

If you can get a copy of the same version of windows with service pack 3 included it will save some of the downloading, this is legal if you get the same version and use the windows number from your current version.

I would recommend making an image of the fresh install with Acronis True Image or similar product after you have set up a new installation with user names, passwords and programs that you use regularly This will save much more work and is easier than having a combined XP and service pack installation

However if you do want to make an XP install that has the latest service pack included you can follow the instructions on this site.

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/S...ice_Pack_3.html

Why bother with an XP Re-install... For the same hassles of reloading all your apps, just switch to Windows 7... Only a few more weeks to go to be able to get it, if you haven't picked up an advance copy already.

Your computer will run better, and you'll be happier too.

I've been using it on an OLD underpowered computer at work for 6 months... NO PROBLEMS... Love it!!

CS