Flood Situation

Zen

Hard to say.

In general the duration of the floods in Pattaya are measured in hours.

If it rains heavily for over 2 hours, the drainage systems gets saturated and low lying areas start flooding.

Give it an hour or more of heavy rains and the flooding almost becomes Pattaya wide.

When the rain stops, the floods slowly start to recede, few hours at most and all that is left is a massive amount of debris on the streets and around the drainage holes...

Flooded really badly in Second Road and the surrounding Sois today - thigh deep yet again, after less than an hour of heavy rain.

I had to wait nearly 3 hours before I could drive home, and even then the water had only receded a few inches.

As with the other evening, traffic was breaking down all over the place.

This time many of the shops, bars etc tried to protect themselves with sand bags but it didn't work. the water just seeped through and underneath most floors.

It was another chaotic, business-damaging mess, and this time I didn't detect the same "Blitz Spirit" that I encountered last time.

Even the Thais are getting tired of this farce every other day.

Flooded really badly in Second Road and the surrounding Sois today - thigh deep yet again, after less than an hour of heavy rain.

I had to wait nearly 3 hours before I could drive home, and even then the water had only receded a few inches.

As with the other evening, traffic was breaking down all over the place.

This time many of the shops, bars etc tried to protect themselves with sand bags but it didn't work. the water just seeped through and underneath most floors.

It was another chaotic, business-damaging mess, and this time I didn't detect the same "Blitz Spirit" that I encountered last time.

Even the Thais are getting tired of this farce every other day.

Any pictures from the camera I know you always carry in the car?

Henny-Penny a few days of rain with some minor flooding in isolated low-spots around town (that flood every year and that everyone knows to avoid after intense heavy rains) and the sky is falling and the world is coming to an end...get real men!

There was like an hour of heavy rain mid-morning today and that was it. I drove from NPW to Carrefore afterward at 11 am and the roads were all clear, traffic normal, and nothing else amiss. All you guys that wuss about a little rain in a tropical country really need to grow a couple hairy ones :)

Henny-Penny a few days of rain with some minor flooding in isolated low-spots around town (that flood every year and that everyone knows to avoid after intense heavy rains) and the sky is falling and the world is coming to an end...get real men!

There was like an hour of heavy rain mid-morning today and that was it. I drove from NPW to Carrefore afterward at 11 am and the roads were all clear, traffic normal, and nothing else amiss. All you guys that wuss about a little rain in a tropical country really need to grow a couple hairy ones :)

I don't think over a meter of water in a wide area of Central Pattaya, that not only made the roads impassable and damaged the engines of countless vehicles, but also resulted most buildings being under several inches of water, with sewers over flowing, (making it a severe health risk - not forgetting the risk to life caused by dangling electric cables) doing untold damage, to say nothing of the fact that it brought literally thousands of people's livelihoods to halt- and all this the second time in 4 days can hardly be described as "that wuss about a little rain in a tropical country".

The Thais were none too pleased this time round and they were not only shouting at us (farangs) but also at each other in a most un-Thai like manner. I didn't see too many smiles as I gingerly waded above my knees along second road in a vain search for a dry oasis where I could have some breakfast.

It started raining around 9 a.m. and stopped , maybe at around 10.30. By 12.30 there was still a very high water line, in fact it, became even worse as the water drained down from higher ground.

After 3 hours of waiting, I eventually drove out with my exhaust barely above the water line.

Fine for me, but not so good for the poor devils who work and live there.

Edited by Mobi

I don't think over a meter of water in a wide area of Central Pattaya, that not only made the roads impassable and damaged the engines of countless vehicles, but also resulted most buildings being under several inches of water, with sewers over flowing, (making it a severe health risk - not forgetting the risk to life caused by dangling electric cables) doing untold damage, to say nothing of the fact that it brought literally thousands of people's livelihoods to halt- and all this the second time in 4 days can hardly be described as "that wuss about a little rain in a tropical country".

The Thais were none too pleased this time round and they were not only shouting at us (farangs) but also at each other in a most un-Thai like manner. I didn't see too many smiles as I gingerly waded above my knees along second road in a vain search for a dry oasis where I could have some breakfast.

It started raining around 9 a.m. and stopped , maybe at around 10.30. By 12.30 there was still a very high water line, in fact it, became even worse as the water drained down from higher ground.

After 3 hours of waiting, I eventually drove out with my exhaust barely above the water line.

Fine for me, but not so good for the poor devils who work and live there.

This is a very good post Mobi with which I agree.

The recent torrential rains and floods even if they don't last a particularly long time cause amongst other things severe health risks and are highly dangerous especially for the most vulnerable in our community. Yet whenever people post on the dangers inherent and real in these torrential rain-falls it seems we get westerners making ridiculous comments on this web site dismissing it as in effect nothing. Well it might not be for them in their priviledged situation, but for many it is catastrophic.

Edited by R123

I don't think over a meter of water in a wide area of Central Pattaya, that not only made the roads impassable and damaged the engines of countless vehicles...

Well, you only have yourself to blame for buying an impractical low-riding BMW sports car in a tropical country like Thailand...where it rains heavily sometimes and the roads and drainage systems are not quite up to the standard of the German autobaans (where these cars are meant to be driven). I guess those Fortuners and Land Rovers driving through the flooded roads while you while away the hours waiting for the waters to subside (and praying your "ultimate driving machine" engine isn't wrecked) are looking like pretty wise (and practical) purchases now :D

I've seen much worse flooding in the advanced countries of the Europe, the UK, USA where whole towns and villages are submerged in water (not to mention the flooding in many other of the poor countries around the world). What we have experienced in Pattaya recently barely merits a mention.

I don't think over a meter of water in a wide area of Central Pattaya, that not only made the roads impassable and damaged the engines of countless vehicles...

Well, you only have yourself to blame for buying an impractical low-riding BMW sports car in a tropical country like Thailand...

The engine of a BMW is lower than a motor bike? I don't think so! Mobi did not say HIS engine was damaged only that countless engines were damaged.

Methinks you need to cultivate a little empathy for all the poor people who have lost what little they owned and the small shop keepers who had their entire stock wiped out and homes filled with water and sewage.

Well, you only have yourself to blame for buying an impractical low-riding BMW sports car in a tropical country like Thailand...where it rains heavily sometimes and the roads and drainage systems are not quite up to the standard of the German autobaans (where these cars are meant to be driven). I guess those Fortuners and Land Rovers driving through the flooded roads while you while away the hours waiting for the waters to subside (and praying your "ultimate driving machine" engine isn't wrecked) are looking like pretty wise (and practical) purchases now :D

Methinks there may be a little envy creeping in here.... :D

IHateCaptcha

Well, you only have yourself to blame for buying an impractical low-riding BMW sports car in a tropical country like Thailand...

Rimmer

The engine of a BMW is lower than a motor bike? I don't think so! Mobi did not say HIS engine was damaged only that countless engines were damaged.

Methinks you need to cultivate a little empathy for all the poor people who have lost what little they owned and the small shop keepers who had their entire stock wiped out and homes filled with water and sewage.

Thank you Rimmer, I certainly did not post to complain about damage to my own car. In fact I was merely responding the the OP who asked about flooding in Pattaya, and as i have been unfortunate enough to have been present in Central Pattaya on both recent occasions, I posted my experiences.

I was not posting for myself, but but for the countless others who suffer from this chaotic mess.

For the record, despite my misgivings, my low slung BMW succeeded in traversing the floods on both occasions with absolutely no damage to the engine, and the interior remaining as dry as a bone, despite the fact that it was below the water line.

I merely waited as a precautionary step, and would have done the same had I been driving either of my previous two vehicles in LOS - an Escape, followed by a Fortuner - both excellent vehicles for Thailand.

But judging from the complaints of my friends who drove Japanese saloon cars through the floods, and suffered damage, not only to their engines but also the car interiors which were also flooded, it looks as though I did indeed buy the correct model saloon for Thailand's unpredictable highways. :)

Maybe worth the extra few baht after all :D

Edited by Mobi