Planning A Move To Surin. Info Would Be Appreciated.

Timmy

Hello,

My name is Timmy and I am new to this forum so hi all :) .

Some people are calling me crazy telling me that I am going to burry myself in the middle of nowhere. But hey I met a girl, she is 20, I am 28 and since I have been thinking of moving to Thailand for the last 2 years I will most certainly go for it now. You do not know I you do not try right?

I have given myself 2 years maximum to gain information, plan and save money. I write on this forum to gain some info and set my goals based on this info.

The plan is the buy a house and a commerial area to open a shop (like a 24-7 but I have to go to Surin again to get a better idea of the type of commercial area I want). The shop would enable me to get a workpermit as manager of the shop or something but I have to gain more info on that.

Now I have heard stories of houses for sale in Surin for 100.000 Bath and I heard of a guy who accually build a house for 400.000 Bath. I do not know if that is just wishfull thinking? When looking online the cheapest accomodation I found was 750.000 Bath but I am sure the rates online are always higher especiall if you have a Thai girlfriend. I am looking for a small house with internet connection where 2 people can live. I can always get a bigger house later.

More important for me is the commercial area. I have absolutly no idea what that would be like in Surin. I heard something like 200.000 would be possible but then again maybe thats just wishfull thinking.

I also would like to know if you start a company and say you appoint yourself the manager and get a workpermit like this can you still get a side job a a teacher? I have always wanted to teach, that was the reason I wanted to move to Thailand the last 2 yeas.

I am thinking it can be done with 1.000.000 Bath. I would love to heard from people who live in that area to get me a better insight so that I can make better plans. I will be very gratefull for it.

Warm regards,

Tim

There are several building developments in Surin. The cheapest offer a small townhouse (2 bedrooms, bathroom living room and outside area for cooking) for some 800,000 THB and upwards. The prices at the higher end developments start at 2.3 million and upwards. As to a commercial building I would suggest that 3 to 4 million THB would be required, although that would also include good living accomodation above the premises on the second and third floor.

Your budget of 1,000,000 Baht would allow you to buy affordable accommodation and adapt it, and furnish it, to western standards. (Provide a kitchen area, 24-hour water supply and air-conditioning.) A teaching job in the local schools may provide you an income of 20 to 25,000 Baht per month for 9 or 10 months of the year. You would not be paid during the school holidays. Starting a commercial venture would require a lot more Baht that 1,000,000 Baht - a minimum of 3 to 4 million.

If you think you can live well on 20,000 Baht per month, and provide for your old age in 30 to 40 years time, I think you are living in a dream world. Not to mention the cost to school any offspring you may have with your wife. Good luck.

Edited by Nomad97

Hi Timmy

You have done the first step right, in looking here for advice :) . Its what most of us did a few years back. Surin is a good place IMHO and I am very happy here BUT I go along with every comment Nomad97 said.

Its good to have plans(Dreams) as long as they are realistic. Its very easy to see things with 'rose tinted glasses' but a few holidays in LOS do not make anyone an expert (Not me,anyway). Living here fulltime

is a very different 'kettle of fish', trust me.

Althought I do appreciate you are not expecting to do things 'yesterday', I wonder if you have considered the option of doing some Voluntary teaching here in Surin. I had some involvement in that a while ago and know there is a regular influx of 'western' guys n gals teaching here all the time. I think the local organization was called 'Starfish' or the like.

You might like to also check the local website surinfarang for info/advice.

Good luck BTW

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

Stay at home, work hard for the next 25-30 years, join a pension scheme, learn English if you want to teach English, and grow up.

I think you're currently living in 'la la land'. "Some people are telling me that I'm crazy telling me that I'm going to burry(?) myself in the middle of nowhere(?)". As I've said "learn English" before you come to Thailand to teach, it'll help, and yes you're crazy, and I think the OP's a wind-up.

Edited by sinbin

Stay at home, work hard for the next 25-30 years, join a pension scheme, learn English if you want to teach English, and grow up.

I think you're currently living in 'la la land'. "Some people are telling me that I'm crazy telling me that I'm going to burry(?) myself in the middle of nowhere(?)". As I've said "learn English" before you come to Thailand to teach, it'll help, and yes you're crazy, and I think the OP's a wind-up.

You are thinking of managing a shop? You have decided on a budget? You give yourself 2 yrs max?

You sound like a nice guy and Isaan might just be fine for you but 28 is a wee age to cut yourself off unless you have backup plan in your country.

Anything can and will happen here with your plan. Influence from your gf and her family will drastically modify your placement here, cost of your dream will be 3 times what you have planned for. Then you will be in too far to turn back or too broke to continue.

Without being solid yourself.... DO NOT rely on your gf great plan of how easy it is. If it was that easy here, many people and their families would not have to move to Bkk to survive. You are not an equal but you are the new #1 provider.

If you are selfish....you will not fit very well, if you are generous....you may just be broke and when you have no money ???

Either way without experience, interacting with Thai/Loa is different then you can imagine. It can be a wonderful life but not without lessons.

How long have you actually known your gf? Is she going to school? Good luck friend!

You are thinking of managing a shop? You have decided on a budget? You give yourself 2 yrs max?

You sound like a nice guy and Isaan might just be fine for you but 28 is a wee age to cut yourself off unless you have backup plan in your country.

Anything can and will happen here with your plan. Influence from your gf and her family will drastically modify your placement here, cost of your dream will be 3 times what you have planned for. Then you will be in too far to turn back or too broke to continue.

Without being solid yourself.... DO NOT rely on your gf great plan of how easy it is. If it was that easy here, many people and their families would not have to move to Bkk to survive. You are not an equal but you are the new #1 provider.

If you are selfish....you will not fit very well, if you are generous....you may just be broke and when you have no money ???

Either way without experience, interacting with Thai/Loa is different then you can imagine. It can be a wonderful life but not without lessons.

How long have you actually known your gf? Is she going to school? Good luck friend!

I have to agree with Sinbin :) and globalwander1. I have found that my plans to make a megre living here have been neigh-on impossible.

Its like the old saying' how do you make a small fortune in Thailand'....................'You start with a large one!'

Dave(Skint but happy)

No-one has yet mentioned it, but you DO NOT buy a shop in Surin, you RENT one, and try as get as good a deal as possible. The current going rate for a three storey, town house building with a shuttered shop front, is around 70,000 a month. Of course, that's without electricity,water & all the other ammenities you want. Another thing is, when you rent a place in Thailand, and wish to do some alterations, you must pay for them yourself, leave the cost with the landlord and then when you leave turn it exactly into how you found it. Fantasy Garden next to us, turned a run down three block of town houses into a large pub/restaurant, with other facilities upstairs, and the top floor was a fully equipped Taikwondo school. Of course when the guy left after getting turned out by the police because they took his drinks licence away, he had to pay a fortune to turn his wonderful bar/restaurant/gym back into a shambles that it was.

No-one has yet mentioned it, but you DO NOT buy a shop in Surin, you RENT one, and try as get as good a deal as possible. The current going rate for a three storey, town house building with a shuttered shop front, is around 70,000 a month. Of course, that's without electricity,water & all the other ammenities you want. Another thing is, when you rent a place in Thailand, and wish to do some alterations, you must pay for them yourself, leave the cost with the landlord and then when you leave turn it exactly into how you found it. Fantasy Garden next to us, turned a run down three block of town houses into a large pub/restaurant, with other facilities upstairs, and the top floor was a fully equipped Taikwondo school. Of course when the guy left after getting turned out by the police because they took his drinks licence away, he had to pay a fortune to turn his wonderful bar/restaurant/gym back into a shambles that it was.

So it was Marital Arts on the first floor and Martial Arts on the second then. :D:D

Is that right,Martin?

:D:)

Hello,

Some people are calling me crazy telling me that I am going to burry myself in the middle of nowhere. But hey I met a girl, she is 20, I am 28 and since I have been thinking of moving to Thailand for the last 2 years I will most certainly go for it now. You do not know I you do not try right?

I have given myself 2 years maximum to gain information, plan and save money. I write on this forum to gain some info and set my goals based on this info.

The plan is the buy a house and a commerial area to open a shop (like a 24-7 but I have to go to Surin again to get a better idea of the type of commercial area I want). The shop would enable me to get a workpermit as manager of the shop or something but I have to gain more info on that.

Now I have heard stories of houses for sale in Surin for 100.000 Bath and I heard of a guy who accually build a house for 400.000 Bath. I do not know if that is just wishfull thinking? When looking online the cheapest accomodation I found was 750.000 Bath but I am sure the rates online are always higher especiall if you have a Thai girlfriend. I am looking for a small house with internet connection where 2 people can live. I can always get a bigger house later.

More important for me is the commercial area. I have absolutly no idea what that would be like in Surin. I heard something like 200.000 would be possible but then again maybe thats just wishfull thinking.

I also would like to know if you start a company and say you appoint yourself the manager and get a workpermit like this can you still get a side job a a teacher? I have always wanted to teach, that was the reason I wanted to move to Thailand the last 2 yeas.

I am thinking it can be done with 1.000.000 Bath. I would love to heard from people who live in that area to get me a better insight so that I can make better plans. I will be very gratefull for it.

Warm regards,

Tim

Did somebody scare you Timmy? Whered' you go...come back!

Hello,

Warm regards,

Tim

TIMMMMMMMY where are yuuuuuuuuuuuo???????????

0511-0810-2701-4045_Pirate_Looking_Through_a_Spyglass_clipart_image.jpg

Some people are calling me crazy telling me that I am going to bury myself in the middle of nowhere.

Don't worry Timmy there's an even chance after marriage your wife and her Thai boyfriend will do the burying in the middle of nowhere. After hitting you on the back of the head with a blunt instrument of course. :)

Timmy must be a troll. If not listen to the advice above.

Surin is a fine place to live if you have a pension or a huge inheritance and enjoy supporting a number of 'relatives' that only like you for your money and gossip about you at every opportunity.

Come for a three month holiday, rent a home, visit the FC, talk to a few locals. Don't stumble in blindly, because you will stumble out broke and cynical.

Surin is a fine place to live if you have a pension or a huge inheritance and enjoy supporting a number of 'relatives' that only like you for your money and gossip about you at every opportunity.

Come for a three month holiday, rent a home, visit the FC, talk to a few locals. Don't stumble in blindly, because you will stumble out broke and cynical.

:):D:D Cynical or Burnt? or maybe both GFlover????

:):D:D Cynical or Burnt? or maybe both GFlover????

Yeah, you got that right. But I think being burnt comes before being cynical. Then stage 3. Join an internet forum and gloat at others that are being burnt!!! It gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside knowing that fresh meet is going through the Isaan meat grinder.

Please post again Timmy.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Dont worry too much Timmy....if your not a fat balding old man that drinks everyday and cant speak a word of Thai after 5 years you should be OK....if you are like the above, you will realise why there are so many negative comments and why so many have had their fingers burnt by moving to Surin after meeting their partner 2 weeks previously in a bar in Pattaya...... :)

I think you mean 7000 THB P/Month, but you can get as low as 4,000 THB P/Month!!!

Some good advice!!! Do not marry for 3-5 years!!! Do not come to Thailand unless you have income of 25,000 THB P/Month minimum!!! Do not bring any large amount of money to Thailand for at least 5 years, so you understand the game here because what you bring in will never leave here!!! If you buy a motorbike and/or car, pay cash and put in your name and of course before you marry, so she has no rights to ownership!!! DO NOT BUILD or BUY home first 5 years!!! You can rent house or apartment for 4,000 to 10,000 THB P/Month!!! Do not plan on working because you will not be profitable, so have a bankroll out of country to live on!!!

Good LUCK Mate!!!

EXPAT in Korat

I think you mean 7000 THB P/Month, but you can get as low as 4,000 THB P/Month!!!

Some good advice!!! Do not marry for 3-5 years!!! Do not come to Thailand unless you have income of 25,000 THB P/Month minimum!!! Do not bring any large amount of money to Thailand for at least 5 years, so you understand the game here because what you bring in will never leave here!!! If you buy a motorbike and/or car, pay cash and put in your name and of course before you marry, so she has no rights to ownership!!! DO NOT BUILD or BUY home first 5 years!!! You can rent house or apartment for 4,000 to 10,000 THB P/Month!!! Do not plan on working because you will not be profitable, so have a bankroll out of country to live on!!!

Good LUCK Mate!!!

EXPAT in Korat

Sorry, and you're the first person to point it out. I meant 70,000 baht a year, not a month. We pay 140,000 for a double unit, 3 floors.

Good LUCK Mate!!!

EXPAT in Korat

Sorry, and you're the first person to point it out. I meant 70,000 baht a year, not a month. We pay 140,000 for a double unit, 3 floors.

Is that why the beer is so expensive? :)

Hi,

I must say I was scarred at first and hid under a rock somewhere but then I came out and did some reading.

I know I should go to Thailand some more to do research. I do not worry about drinking to much because I Thailand 2 months now and I went into just 2 bars the whole time :D . Havent even been to Pattaya. Only Bangkok, Pak Chong, Khoa Jay, Koh Chang and a few other places. I have a background in hotel so now I am thinking of going for that but I am still open to other ideas. I am good at online marketing but I do not want to sit in an office in front of a pc all day, I would much rather use it to get some exposure in the dutch and english market while running a "concrete business".

I do have a backup. You see I live with my dad... :) sure laugh :D . BUT if I burn my hand I can come back and save some more money. I can save 2mil in 3 years rather easily. I have to work very hard but thats ok I for the dream. I have no intention to wait for my pension, I want action! If I fail and come back to work in Belgium for 10 year I can still get a €1000 pension. If I work 30 year maybe I will get €1200. Why work 20 years more for €200... I already have a separate pension plan btw.

Thank you for all the replies it has been very informative. I am hoping to get some idea for other post.

Warm regards

Hi,

I must say I was scarred at first and hid under a rock somewhere but then I came out and did some reading.

I know I should go to Thailand some more to do research. I do not worry about drinking to much because I Thailand 2 months now and I went into just 2 bars the whole time :D . Havent even been to Pattaya. Only Bangkok, Pak Chong, Khoa Jay, Koh Chang and a few other places. I have a background in hotel so now I am thinking of going for that but I am still open to other ideas. I am good at online marketing but I do not want to sit in an office in front of a pc all day, I would much rather use it to get some exposure in the dutch and english market while running a "concrete business".

I do have a backup. You see I live with my dad... :) sure laugh :D . BUT if I burn my hand I can come back and save some more money. I can save 2mil in 3 years rather easily. I have to work very hard but thats ok I for the dream. I have no intention to wait for my pension, I want action! If I fail and come back to work in Belgium for 10 year I can still get a €1000 pension. If I work 30 year maybe I will get €1200. Why work 20 years more for €200... I already have a separate pension plan btw.

Thank you for all the replies it has been very informative. I am hoping to get some idea for other post.

Warm regards

Timmy you just may make it, you have guts. Keep after your dreams. :D