"long stay" visas and taxes

Only had one experience with Thai immigration. That was when I got a visa for my Thai wife

Curveblade, If you're still married to your Thai wife, getting your NonImmigrant "O" before heading to Thailand should just require showing your marriage certificate. Also, as I understand it (Dr P or Lop please jump in), the requirement for getting one year extensions on your visa is much easier going the "married" route vs. "retirement" route, i.e., money requirement is less, no medical, police reports required.

Jim Gant

Curveblade, If you're still married to your Thai wife,

That is the question!  If so, and legal, you should get a non immigrant visa on that basis before you travel anywhere.  Then you can extend on support basis (400k in bank next year) or retirement (800k presently).  Or just make 90 day border runs and get a new visa every 15 months and not have to show anything in bank.  

Must admit do not know what kind of problem a Thai wife would have with Thai Immigration (as USA allows dual citizenship she should not need a visa for Thailand - unless she did not keep her passport up).  Are you sure it was Immigration?

Thanks Jim,

But the wife left in 1988. Seems she found a younger & much richer fellow than me. Left me with three kids to raise. Now that is finished, I'm once again free to travel. It'll be my first trip back to Thailand in many years. Dissapointing to hear about all the changes, but Thailand still has a lot going for it.

I've been paying close attenion to those on the forum that discuss Thailand and have learned quite a bit of new things. I appreciate all the guys that contribute the knowledge & experience that they have gained.

JIM, the lady officer that issued my non-O retired visa in BKK said it would be better for me to get the retired instead of the married,might be because I had the 565000 per month,I dont know because I wanted the married,but since then I have heard that you must be married for 3+ years,so I don't know.

Ray23,I talked to Nong Khai and ytold me that I needed money in the bank and 65000,"and" not "OR",guess I should have talked to the O in C..every place I checked it was different.

KevinN - Get the retired visa.  I don't know why you even want to consider the marriage visa, unless you want to legally work here.  If you have no working plans, then the retirement visa doesn't involve a wife, and if something happens to the marriage, it does not automatically mean you have to leave.

On the other hand, if you want to work here legally, (aside from needing a work permit and a job, of course), then the marriage visa will not preclude you from working to support the people on whom you are dependent.  :o

If the marriage fails, then you usually can apply for a retirement visa if you are otherwise qualified.  

As far as Nong Khai is concerned, it smells like the officials are looking for some financial help.  Be careful how you handle this because you will have to go back there every year for a visa renewal.  What you might want to do is get an official brochure from Immigration in Bangkok that specifically explains in Thai and English that you need "or" and show it to them.  But before you give it to them, if you have the means, put the money in the bank as well for the first year, and ask them to waive the 800K in the bank when you renew the next year based on the literature from Immigration HQ.  Alternatively you can see what they want to waive their "misunderstood" requirement, it might be cheaper than taking a trip to Bangkok and back.

There is one female officer there who is really hung up on that, her toughts are that there is no such word as or in the Thai language, she is now a Lt. the female captian is the one who did my visa. Perhaps a meeting worth with the commander may be in order that is what I had to do. But I did it with a Thai who was the ex-mayor of Udon and handled informally via telephone conversations between the go between and the commander.

Nong Kia seems to run hot and cold depending on the mood of the day, if I go there and don't have to do the business that day and I notice tension, I came back another day.

There are two days the lady I spoke of is in Udon working, Monday and Friday, those are the days I go to Nong Kia if I can.

They did require along woth many other things that I showed that I had put the 65K in a Thia bank for three months berfore I could apply.

Mihg have been my lucky day who knows.

JIM, the lady officer that issued my non-O retired visa in BKK said it would be better for me to get the retired instead of the married,might be because I had the 565000 per month,I dont know because I wanted the married,but since then I have heard that you must be married for 3+ years,so I don't know.

If immigration knows you meet the income requirements for retirement visa they seem to prefer to issue that (perhaps because they don't have to check home life).  But you have the option and AFAIK there is no requirement to be married for any length of time.

As said, on marriage, if it ends your visa ends.  To stay you would have to change to retirement.  But if wife is reason you live here it would seem a better choice (to me) as you can obtain a work permit or PR if that is something you want.

If immigration knows you meet the income requirements for retirement visa they seem to prefer to issue that (perhaps because they don't have to check home life).  

Lop, your "check home life" has gotten my curiosity up again about opting for "marriage" or "retirement" extension on my "O" visa. (If there's a nice FAQ page somewhere comparing the two, please just point me in that direction -- I know a lot on this forum is repetitive rehash.)

First, I've been married to my Thai wife for 27 years, so I think it might last. But I also have the resources and age to qualify for the "retirement" extension. And I don't plan to work in Thailand. So, either extension avenue is an option.

Thus, the only difference that lead me to the "marriage" option was that I didn't need to get a medical certificate (which wouldn't be a problem, only an added irritant), and I wouldn't need a police report, which also wouldn't be a problem, but it is something I don't quite understand how to go about(?). (Does the US Embassy fill out a form saying I'm not currently on the 10-most-wanted-list, or what?) And "checking home life," as I understand it, shouldn't involve more than a photo of us at home, marriage certificate, plus I've got a 30-year lease on my wife's property here. Anything I'm missing?

The only other thing I can think of that could make the "retirement" option more viable up front is if my wife should die before I do. Since I'm not supporting any other family member over here, I guess this would put me in the same situation as "divorced," meaning I'd have to switch to the "retirement" option upon her death.

Any and all thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Jim Gant

Jim,

Believe you have it down.  Don't know of any link that spells things out.

Support based you do not need medical/police (not sure police report required if done in Thailand) or Embassy certification of income and a much lower bank balance.  But it would end if marriage ends and you must apply with wife and at least photos together (some places they seem to even make a visit).  

The downside could be that a switch to 'retirement' later could be to new requirements that you could not meet (but would have been grandfathered if you started as retired).  In that case you would have to leave or hope for the goodwill of officials to make an exception for you; or accept leaving.

Lop   the police clearance is required from the homeland. I really think that in the case of a Thai wife/husband predeceasing the farang ....kindess would prevail...but that obviously cannot be a guarantee. I believe they'd just ask that the funds be increased at subsequent renewals. As I see it, once residency is acquired ( after 3 years ) I think it is gonna be fine.

I'm new, so bear with me on this! About the "long stay" visa.

If i had lodged the required 800000 baht, but it only costs me, let's say, 40000 baht a month to live, and i draw out 40000, then at the end of the year i've spent 480000. Do i only then have to top up the amount to 800000 again, or should i have proof that i spent 65000 a month? In other words, do i have to withdraw 8000000 a year, or just have it the Thai bank account for visa renewal purposes.

I honestly don't think that i would spend that amount if i was retired there. In fact 65000 a month is not much less than it costs me to live in Brisbane, and i run a car here.

Thanks, in advance for any advice. :o

Under current rules (if they haven't changed again toay) when you do your annual retirement visa renewal, you will need to show that you have the 800,000 bht in the bank on the day you renew your visa.  So to answer your question, after spending B480,000 during the year, you will only have to put in B320,000 to make the amount B800,000 again.

Immigration is looking for proof of income or savings...not how much you spend.  Never make anything more complicated than need be, and bever volunteer information other than what they require or what they ask for.  The exception is if someone does ask you what your total savings are or total pension, give them a figure at or only slightly above the minimum requirements to stay here.  Immigration is part of a  bureaucracy. They do not say there are minimum and maximum requirements...only the B800,000 in the bank, or enough income, or a combination of both that adds up to B800,000.  If they want more they will change the rules.  They will not accept less.