Is The Music To Loud

Thongkorn

I am not a beer Monster i like to go for a Drink or two . Never getting drunk, When i sit at some bars they always seem to turn the Music up ,And they play music thats 30 years old or some modern disco C/rapp, is it me or am i getting old, I tried to Explain that if they turned down the Music a little they would probably get more Customers in, If you walk down soy 7 The din is just mind numbing, My Thai wife who lives with me in the UK now understands that the music they play actually drives most people away, If i wanted mind numbing brain rattling music i would go to a disco , But then again i don't want to be the oldest swinger in town, So to speak. is it Me,

No, it's the bar, using a common tactic.

If it is a popular bar, the music is load so that patrons will talk less, drink more. Those who do "talk", need to yell, making them more thirsty. This is also the reason one often finds free, salty snacks.

As far as the music goes, was the late 80's really a defining period?

I have written about this before. It's not only the beer bars on soi 7, but most of the go go bars in Pattaya play music so loud you can't hear yourself think.

And generally the music is of the "Boom Boom" variety -no melodies, just moronic thumping that shakes the bar's foundations.

Yet often the average age of the customers sitting around the bars is well over 50.

Do they really think that these customers are enjoying the noise? I doubt they ever gave it serious thought.

Just another example of how Thai businesses continually shoot themselves in the foot, and really have no idea how to attract and keep customers - but somehow stay in business long enough to sell on to the next mug (usually some naive farang).

You will notice that many of the bars have young Thai DJ's, who play their favourite music to amuse themselves.

Similarly, many bars have their TV screens tuned to Thai TV channels , or show UBC farang movies, with no sound but Thai subtitles, so all the girls can watch the movies, and the customers have no idea what is going on.

The few bars that don't rip off the customers by over charging and padding the bills, have friendly girls who don't hassle customers for drinks, play good music at a sensible volume , and have staff who are not ignoring you because they are watching TV, etc are consequentially jammed packed, even in the current recession, and the rest struggle to survive.

Was it ever so!

If you go to Angeles City in the Philippines, or even the bars in Cambodia, you will generally find that the music is much better and is played at more tolerable levels. They understand the need to attract and keep customers and also their customer base.

However, complaining on Thai Visa or anywhere else is not going to change anything, but with all the hundreds, if not thousands entertainment establishments in Pattaya and the surrounding area, there are places to suit all tastes - you just have to look for them.

Live and let live, and let them get on with it, I guess........

I have written about this before. It's not only the beer bars on soi 7, but most of the go go bars in Pattaya play music so loud you can't hear yourself think.

And generally the music is of the "Boom Boom" variety -no melodies, just moronic thumping that shakes the bar's foundations.

Yet often the average age of the customers sitting around the bars is well over 50.

Do they really think that these customers are enjoying the noise? I doubt they ever gave it serious thought.

Just another example of how Thai businesses continually shoot themselves in the foot, and really have no idea how to attract and keep customers - but somehow stay in business long enough to sell on to the next mug (usually some naive farang).

You will notice that many of the bars have young Thai DJ's, who play their favourite music to amuse themselves.

Similarly, many bars have their TV screens tuned to Thai TV channels , or show UBC farang movies, with no sound but Thai subtitles, so all the girls can watch the movies, and the customers have no idea what is going on.

The few bars that don't rip off the customers by over charging and padding the bills, have friendly girls who don't hassle customers for drinks, play good music at a sensible volume , and have staff who are not ignoring you because they are watching TV, etc are consequentially jammed packed, even in the current recession, and the rest struggle to survive.

Was it ever so!

If you go to Angeles City in the Philippines, or even the bars in Cambodia, you will generally find that the music is much better and is played at more tolerable levels. They understand the need to attract and keep customers and also their customer base.

However, complaining on Thai Visa or anywhere else is not going to change anything, but with all the hundreds, if not thousands entertainment establishments in Pattaya and the surrounding area, there are places to suit all tastes - you just have to look for them.

If I hear LOUD Music being played I just move on with my money to a place where I can enjoy some "PEace and Quiet"

Cheers Tony :)

im only 36 and i will move on too if its too noisey..........its not too bad if ur in one bar but those complexes of bars all playing different stuff turned up ,cant stand them..maybe im getting old too :)

Edited by barrybike

It not just the Bars, it almost everywere you go in thailand. Thailand is fast becoming the land of the hardhearing :D due to noise induced hearing loss. :D

Spot on.

Even in the remote, rural villages, dawn has barely broken when you are subjected to the harsh, screeching loudspeaker systems as the mobile vendors move slowly through the villages in their pickups, selling their wares. Usually piercing "jingles" followed by screaming out a list of the day's produce.

Then you have the weddings, funerals, birthdays, initiation into the monk-hood, Buddhist holidays, Songkran, Loi Krathong, New year and just about any excuse they can dream up for a booze up, when sound systems that would do credit to Wembley Stadium are set up and blare out music 24/7. The only way to get some sleep at such times is to drink yourself into a drunken stupor. :D

I read the other day that many villages have had speakers installed so that the local populace can be subjected to political /government announcements broadcast at high volume with no way to avoid the ear splitting noise.

Yes, noise pollution is a massive problem in Thailand: from the urban streets, to the shopping Malls to the Sky-trains and buses, to the furthest reaches of rural Thailand, and the sad thing is that most of the population have never known any different and assume it is perfectly normal.

But we are just guests here and are not allowed to comment :)

Spot on.

Even in the remote, rural villages, dawn has barely broken when you are subjected to the harsh, screeching loudspeaker systems as the mobile vendors move slowly through the villages in their pickups, selling their wares. Usually piercing "jingles" followed by screaming out a list of the day's produce.

Then you have the weddings, funerals, birthdays, initiation into the monk-hood, Buddhist holidays, Songkran, Loi Krathong, New year and just about any excuse they can dream up for a booze up, when sound systems that would do credit to Wembley Stadium are set up and blare out music 24/7. The only way to get some sleep at such times is to drink yourself into a drunken stupor. :D

I read the other day that many villages have had speakers installed so that the local populace can be subjected to political /government announcements broadcast at high volume with no way to avoid the ear splitting noise.

Yes, noise pollution is a massive problem in Thailand: from the urban streets, to the shopping Malls to the Sky-trains and buses, to the furthest reaches of rural Thailand, and the sad thing is that most of the population have never known any different and assume it is perfectly normal.

But we are just guests here and are not allowed to comment :)

or whine.

Loud music is a great way to stop me going into a bar.

I was at the unofficial ThaiVisa pissup last weekend and the first thing i noticed about the bar was that the music was quiet enough for everyone to be able to have a conversation. It was the Cross Bar on Suk Soi 23. Any other decent bars like this around?

Not just a Thai thing, in KL the bars would play 60's, 70's and 80's music all which matched the tastes of the clientelle (not the ages please note :) ). Then at 10pm the DJ typically was free to play whatever he wanted to which was inevitably mindless, souless, agressive, bone rattling rap. This wasn't entirely a bad thing as it signalled time to go home or at least find another quieter bar, which for me was in my condo block so was as close to home as I could get.

That doesn't bother me because, apart from important sports fixtures, as far as I'm concerned a bar is no place for the dreaded haunted fishtank. If you want to watch TV stay at home. I say it doesn't bother me and it doesn't provided the sound is OFF, what does bug me is when the TV sound is competing with the music but that's easily cured by going someplace else.

That's the thing with Pattaya, at least you are spoilt for choice and voting with your feet is far more effective than writing to newspapers and/or internet fora.

Not just a Thai thing, in KL the bars would play 60's, 70's and 80's music all which matched the tastes of the clientelle (not the ages please note :) ). Then at 10pm the DJ typically was free to play whatever he wanted to which was inevitably mindless, souless, agressive, bone rattling rap. This wasn't entirely a bad thing as it signalled time to go home or at least find another quieter bar, which for me was in my condo block so was as close to home as I could get.

That doesn't bother me because, apart from important sports fixtures, as far as I'm concerned a bar is no place for the dreaded haunted fishtank. If you want to watch TV stay at home. I say it doesn't bother me and it doesn't provided the sound is OFF, what does bug me is when the TV sound is competing with the music but that's easily cured by going someplace else.

That's the thing with Pattaya, at least you are spoilt for choice and voting with your feet is far more effective than writing to newspapers and/or internet fora.

...or whining.

Sorry, but you missed my point, which was probably badly made.

I too don't go to bars to watch TV - in fact I'm watching less and less even at home these days.

The point I am making is that the staff are so preoccupied watching a Thai soap or a farang movie, that they are not attending to their customers, and doing what they are paid to do.

I once pointed this out to bar manger in Bangkok, and she completely agreed with me and immediately changed the TV channel to sport. The next time I went in, it was back to Thai soaps, and all the staff were once again glued to the TV screen.

Actually, I don't know why, but Bangkok bars seem to be more into this than Pattaya, but it does happen here as well.

"C'est la vie", as they say - and vote with your feet. :)

im only 36 and i will move on too if its too noisey..........its not too bad if ur in one bar but those complexes of bars all playing different stuff turned up ,cant stand them..maybe im getting old too :)

Same here, i often pick a bar where the music is not too loud.

But being Thailand, within 5 mins when customer walks in they turn it on as loud as they can. Seen many times empty bars that do exactly this when first customer walks in. Then leaves as the music is unbearable and once he's gone they turn the music down again while waiting for the next victim :D Gotta love it, the staff looking puzzled when the farang leaves half a beer, pays and walks out.

Edited by MJo

Went to the Manpong video shop in Big C complex on Sukhumvit with 2000 baht in my pocket to buy DVDs, the shop music was so loud I simply turned around and left the shop and will not return until they regulate the noise.

I agree, I hate loud music in bars but the solution is simple, don't visit those bars.

Over time it is possible to develop a personal compendium of 'favourite & quiet' bars in Pattaya/Jomtien/Naklua, some may be a baht bus ride away but I feel that it is worth it.

Also, the people who visit the quieter bars are generally more interesting to talk to and usually like-minded, and not the typical brain-dead moronic football hooligan type who drink beer directly out of a bottle and stink of B.O.

I'll be going to the Jomtien Beach area again soon. Could somebody recommend a bar/restaurant nearby (or a bus trip is fine) where we can relax for an hour or two, hear some easy-listening music (like Elton John, Carpenters, etc), have a burger, things that I always loved to do back home. Surely there must be establishments like that in the Pattaya area. Thanks.

Oh about so much noise in Thailand. Never did I think I would actually be thankful for my hearing loss, facetiously speaking.

Same here, i often pick a bar where the music is not too loud.

But being Thailand, within 5 mins when customer walks in they turn it on as loud as they can. Seen many times empty bars that do exactly this when first customer walks in. Then leaves as the music is unbearable and once he's gone they turn the music down again while waiting for the next victim :D Gotta love it, the staff looking puzzled when the farang leaves half a beer, pays and walks out.

Yeah, and when you complain about the noise level they say 'Customer like it loud' and you're the ONLY customer :D

Yeah, and when you complain about the noise level they say 'Customer like it loud' and you're the ONLY customer :D

And what about people like me, who indeed like it loud?

Seems like a Smoker / Non Smoker Thread.... :)

loud music is most certainly NOT a thai thing. we've been over-voluming our music in the states since the Beatles flew over the pond. sidenote to all of this, have you noticed the amount of bass they are putting on today's music? put a Sly & The Family Stone song next to a Timberland song. quite a difference...

interestingly I see here a consensus against loud music. Extrapolating this to the rest of the Pattaya community we can hazard a gues that there are more people out there that hate loud music than those who would like it. I wonder why there are customers in the loud establishments...for the same reason McDonalds finds the odd customer?

I'll be going to the Jomtien Beach area again soon. Could somebody recommend a bar/restaurant nearby (or a bus trip is fine) where we can relax for an hour or two, hear some easy-listening music (like Elton John, Carpenters, etc), have a burger, things that I always loved to do back home. Surely there must be establishments like that in the Pattaya area. Thanks.

Oh about so much noise in Thailand. Never did I think I would actually be thankful for my hearing loss, facetiously speaking.

Read the Best Burgers in Pattaya thread - Just Burgers is at Jomtien Beach between Soi 8 and 9.

I seldom visit Patts nowadays . When I do its just to see some old friends. I used to have a favorite bar , didnt we all. The last few times I went to that bar the moment I sat down everyone would get a drink in, or starty hassling for a drink. Good old Richard is back! Within a few minutes the tab would be in four figures and by the time I was finishing my first beer some staff had ordered their second. The last time this happened and I had not agreed to buy anyone a beer I never went back. Now they watch me stroll bye and I never stop . I really dont think they get it. Pitty really .

Richard

Ever walked through the arab bar area on Marine plaza?Then you know what is loud music.I don't even talk about sitting down there but passing it from a distance of let say 25 meters can damage your hearing.

I know what you mean, but the last couple of times I walked past, they had turned it down to a reasonable level. Seemed quite un natural, somehow.

I'd say most of the staff that work there must have serious hearing damage, but that applies to many of the bars on Walking St too.

What I don't understand is how they have any patrons, as it hurts my ears just walking past!

I seldom visit Patts nowadays . When I do its just to see some old friends. I used to have a favorite bar , didnt we all. The last few times I went to that bar the moment I sat down everyone would get a drink in, or starty hassling for a drink. Good old Richard is back! Within a few minutes the tab would be in four figures and by the time I was finishing my first beer some staff had ordered their second. The last time this happened and I had not agreed to buy anyone a beer I never went back. Now they watch me stroll bye and I never stop . I really dont think they get it. Pitty really .

Richard

Reckon you hit the nail.......

They really "don't get it".

Perhaps that's because all the posters above say find another bar, but never tell anyone in the offending bar why they are leaving. I on the other hand always tell the bar staff when I'm leaving why. Perhaps they take no notice, but at least I tried. I like to hang out in the Lucky Star bar on Walking Street, but a few days ago, the upstairs place over Lucky Star was so loud that there were no customers downstairs. I left after half a drink ( and no tip ), and told the Lucky Star staff why I was leaving ( yes, they did know ), and left the tout on the street for the upstairs place in no doubt what I thought about the volume of their speakers. The next day, the upstairs volume was at a reasonable level, so perhaps someone had a word!

Anyway, from now on, I take earplugs with me.

In any event, I like to use the volume as an excuse not to speak with those pesky bar staff trying to strike up a conversation with me so they can get a "lady drink", when I'm not interested.

Well you have most of Pattaya and other places to go and get hard .. of hearing,.. I said hard of hearing.This post is about To mut noise. It would be a good experiment if a bar actually turned down the music so you could listen if you wanted, But be quite enough to talk , Simple solution as most posters have said , loud noise they walk. how about a name of a bar called easy listening. Anyone up for opening one,I said anyone.. oh forget it :D

Edited by Thongkorn

I always carry earplugs. The noise level is just too loud in many of the bars. Take a stroll through the Arab quarter in Pattaya and you'll be lucky not to come out with a headache from the sound level. Also, if you take a look at the customers there, many are wearing earplugs.

TheWalkingMan

Well you have most of Pattaya and other places to go and get hard .. of hearing,.. I said hard of hearing.This post is about To mut noise. It would be a good experiment if a bar actually turned down the music so you could listen if you wanted, But be quite enough to talk , Simple solution as most posters have said , loud noise they walk. how about a name of a bar called easy listening. Anyone up for opening one,I said anyone.. oh forget it :D

A bar called easy listening -- I wish I had the financials to start one up. Properly managed, it would be a sure success here in the Land of Sound (Abuse). I could envision a string of them in expat areas. The blasting music problem offers opportunities! Come'on somebody, hop on this one! Pleeeezee!

Edited by ThailandLovr