Retirement In Chiang Mai - Good Or Bad Idea

retiredat50

I've been reading this forum for a while now. I've checked many of the older posts and mostly I read positive comments about Chiang Mai. I've checked other forums and also read that people consider it a good place to retire to. I guess most of you here think the same as it seems like most of the posters live in Chiang Mai.

As I'm still trying to decide I'd really appreciate hearing from people living in Chiang Mai. In particular I'd like to know the good and bad points about retirement here. Just to put you in the picture I'm now 55, living in the Philippines and living with a Filipino girl. I'm looking for a place with a better infrastructure than the Philippines and I have enough money to retire comfortably without working.

I like to keep busy and in particular I would like to retire to a place where it's easy to make friends with other expats. I've visited Pattaya, Phuket and Bangkok but I really didn't think they'd be good places for me. Pattaya and Phuket had too many tourists and Bangkok was a little bit too big for me. I visited Chiang Mai and I didn't consider it so special but I enjoyed my visit there more than to the other cities in Thailand. I'm looking for a place with good weather and a place where I could buy a house or condo and enjoy my life.

I'm looking forward to hearing from the locals.

Than

As far as I'm concerned, Chiang Mai is a great place to retire. I've found the people here much friendlier than those of the places you mentioned, and the pace of life is a little slower as well in many cases. While I live about 18k east of the city itself in a new housing community, I go to C.M. 2-3 times a week, using any of of 3 different highways, depending on where in the city I'm going, and have never had any problems.

Now, not being Thai, and not married to a Thai, buying a house might be a little out of the question for the time being, but not so with a condo, and there are plenty of them here. I would suggest that you work with a agent who is bilingual in order to get the best deal, and there are a number of those here. A simple google search can help you resolve that problem.

My suggestion is that you come and do more than just visit. Come and talk to some real estate agents, have them take you around to the various places, which they are more than happy to do, and then narrow your selections of where you would like to live down to just a couple, then concentrate on them.

In closing all I can say is “Welcome To Chiang Mai”.

I would not overemphasise the expat community. Don't ignore it but be a little cautious of it and get involved with Thai communities too. Keep an open mind.

Think too about rentals. Noone knows what the condo rules will be in the future

Living 18km outside CM, as one poster mentioned, may give you the best of both worlds

If you live in the Philippines then you should adjust well in Chiang Mai. It's an ideal size city with just enough of everything to keep most people interested. It's big enough to supply most of what people need and yet small enough so it's easy to get where you want to go. And, it's big enough so there is always something new to learn. It doesn't have the beaches of course, but you can always take a beach holiday. There is a good size farang population and just about everywhere there are English speaking people. As a 5 month tourist each winter I get the best of both worlds, but I still feel somewhat like an expat. I never get bored and can always find something interesting to do. I don't even mind the March smog all that much. I can always travel elsewhere in Thailand during that time. I really like Kanchanaburi as well, but there's not as much to do in Kanchanaburi.

Id maybe did not understand, but why move abroad to mingle with ex pats then its better to stay in your country.

And Chiangmai is a nice sleepy town if you like quiet but if you like to rumble around the night life is nothing to the south.

Maybe you will like Chiangmai but your Mrs. probably not.

I think If I where in you're shoes I would stay in Philippines, and not go in for all the papers in Thailand for both of you.

I would be easier if you where married to a Thai National.

Thats my Opinion.

Thanks for all of your feedback.

One poster mentioned that it might be better for me to stay in the Philippines. Well I agree that would be the easy option but I have concerns with the poverty that surrounds me, healthcare, corruption, education and safety.

In all my travels around Thailand I've not seen anything like the poverty I see every day in the Philippines. The corruption at all levels is also totally out of control. I can see more police in one day that I'll see in Thailand in a month. All of the police just looking for ways to extort money. Finally the medical services even at the good hospitals are in my opinion very bad. I cannot count the horror stories that I've heard from friends plus I've also had my fair share of doctors trying to perform major surgery on me as an alternative to simple medication. Filipino people are friendly and I have no language problems but the absolute poverty that I see every day is beyond belief. The country is in one heck of a mess and as just today I read that poverty levels are on the increase. From all of my friends I here the same comments that things in the last twenty years have just got worse and worse :-(

Thanks for all of your feedback.

One poster mentioned that it might be better for me to stay in the Philippines. Well I agree that would be the easy option but I have concerns with the poverty that surrounds me, healthcare, corruption, education and safety.

In all my travels around Thailand I've not seen anything like the poverty I see every day in the Philippines. The corruption at all levels is also totally out of control. I can see more police in one day that I'll see in Thailand in a month. All of the police just looking for ways to extort money. Finally the medical services even at the good hospitals are in my opinion very bad. I cannot count the horror stories that I've heard from friends plus I've also had my fair share of doctors trying to perform major surgery on me as an alternative to simple medication. Filipino people are friendly and I have no language problems but the absolute poverty that I see every day is beyond belief. The country is in one heck of a mess and as just today I read that poverty levels are on the increase. From all of my friends I here the same comments that things in the last twenty years have just got worse and worse :-(

Asking on a forum you will get a total range of answers. And asking on the Chiang Mai forum you;ll get a mostly positive slant because most of those on this forum live here. If I were you I would come over for a couple of months and rent a furnished appartment and try it out. There's good points and bad points, and depends on you wants and likes. You will get a thousand different opinions. I find Thailand one of the most corrupt places I have lived. I've also travelled in the Philippines a lot and would certainly prefer to live here, but that's me. Language is a major obstacle to overcome here, especially if you do not have a Thai partner. I'd agree with earlier comments that you should not get to fixated with the "expat" community. Integrating somewhat with Thai society has a lot to offer, and will make this place feel more like your home.

retiredat50,

i agree with what some have said here, come over for awhile, rent and dont rush into anything.

Chiang Mai has alot to offer without most of the big city problems, its not perfect, but where is?

You forgot one other problem Philippines has,and more of, tropical storms.....

hope you are keeping safe

DB

Artamus has a good point.

Also ask yourself how your gf/ wife will fit in here as a filipino. will she like it.

test the water first

how can i put it; thais can be a bit insular with regard to other nationalities

"Retirement In Chiang Mai - Good Or Bad Idea?"

I'd say it depends on the "level" of retirement one is seeking. About 7 years ago I chose Chiang Mai as a sensible place for my semi retirement. I consider that a good choice. Had 5-6 years getting gradually accustomed to living somewhere else but the country where I were born, raised and lived almost all of those more than 600 months constituting my then life. However, after 5 (good) years I were in the mood for going one step further towards full retirement and moved to Lampang. I consider that a poor choice in this respect, because i didn't find it much different than Chiang Mai - except that it is smaller, and have fewer choices of what farlangs tend to favor (you'll have at least 1-3 choices of everything rather than 100-300). Apply a factor of 10% to everything farlang related in Chiang Mai (incl. the number of persons) and you've got the stats for Lampang. Thus, Lampang might actually be a good choice for someone else, but as for me - I didn't quit Chiang Mai just to settle in a scaled down version of Chiang Mai, so I'm now considering Mae Hong Son (ruling out Pai as an option) for my 3/4-retirement.

Having 'escaped' the Philippines 10 yrs ago, I can relate to what you are saying. Used to come here on visa runs from there and could see the differnce.....Thailand was improving and phil was falling apart. I too started out in the usual tourist destinations BKK, Patts etc. then found Chiang Mai and decided 'this is the place' and have been here 10 yrs with few regrets.

I do miss some things about the phil, but not enough to return.

With a Phil GF, she will have some problems with immigration and may have to make visa runs for her.

There are a handfull of Filipinas here and most are connected to the Catholic church [of course], so that would make her feel less homesick.

Best of luck.....

.... I were in the mood for going one step further towards full retirement and moved to Lampang. I consider that a poor choice in this respect, because i didn't find it much different than Chiang Mai - except that it is smaller, and have fewer choices of what farlangs tend to favor .... - I didn't quit Chiang Mai just to settle in a scaled down version of Chiang Mai, so I'm now considering Mae Hong Son (ruling out Pai as an option) for my 3/4-retirement.
I thought Lamphun was too small; I suspect MHS is worse - almost in Burma.

I will give the perspective of someone whose final choices were Chiang Mai vs. Jomtien. Chiang Mai was my top choice except for two factors: very easy access to Bangkok (it doesn't have it) but most importantly the air pollution problems. As I have asthma, that trumped everything so I rejected Chiang Mai. I don't fancy being forced to leave town every year for extended periods just to obtain breathable air. Also be aware that CM has very high rates of respiratory related diseases, meaning if you live there long enough, you have a good chance of developing such disease if you don't already have them.

.... I were in the mood for going one step further towards full retirement and moved to Lampang. I consider that a poor choice in this respect, because i didn't find it much different than Chiang Mai - except that it is smaller, and have fewer choices of what farlangs tend to favor .... - I didn't quit Chiang Mai just to settle in a scaled down version of Chiang Mai, so I'm now considering Mae Hong Son (ruling out Pai as an option) for my 3/4-retirement.

Why is MHS worse? Do you mean it is smaller than Lamphun? And what does it is almost in Burma mean?

The OP is seeking information. Can't see how this helps, even if I could understand it.

Why is MHS worse? Do you mean it is smaller than Lamphun? And what does it is almost in Burma mean?

The OP is seeking information. Can't see how this helps, even if I could understand it.

It is almost in Burma. Just a few kilometers west and you're there!

I love Mae Hong Son. It's a lovely town. But I would get bored really quickly if I moved there. Unless you really enjoy your solitude or plan to get very involved with the local Shan community, there isn't a lot to do.

On the up side, the town now has two 7-Elevens and a KFC, that is, if you like chicken.

As I have asthma, that trumped everything so I rejected Chiang Mai. I don't fancy being forced to leave town every year for extended periods just to obtain breathable air. Also be aware that CM has very high rates of respiratory related diseases, meaning if you live there long enough, you have a good chance of developing such disease if you don't already have them.

Back onto the topic:

I also read about the pollution and I have some concerns. Anyone living there care to comment. How about just staying inside and using a car to get around. Is the pollution a problem even when you are inside?

After 3.5 years in CM I really like this place. The Thai people are friendly. The weather changes often, the best months are November to March. The smoke has never been a problem for me and I am a smoker. April to July can be very hot and humid by that I mean Aircon is needed. August, September and October are cooler but not much, maybe 5 C but humidity is still high. The only caution I can give is be very careful of the expats you meet here. Good Luck.

.... I were in the mood for going one step further towards full retirement and moved to Lampang...

You're disappointing a bit PB ... I would have thought that you - as a long term CM-retiree resident with a 500+ bike - would have known that "lamphun" and "lampang" aren't just 2 different transcriptions of the same name but that they actually are 2 different locations. FYI "Lamphun" is the place about 28 km straight South of CM, where you make your UTURN if you forgot to turn left at both of the two lights at Saraphi, (which seems to be the Southern most location CM-expat retirees know of). In case you ever should dare not to make that UTURN but continue on the 6 lane highway further 70 km towards the Southeast, that's when you'll get to Lampang City which is a center - in its own right - totally independent of the (to us locals) inferior capital of that inferior province named Chiang Mai.

As I have asthma, that trumped everything so I rejected Chiang Mai. I don't fancy being forced to leave town every year for extended periods just to obtain breathable air. Also be aware that CM has very high rates of respiratory related diseases, meaning if you live there long enough, you have a good chance of developing such disease if you don't already have them.

Back onto the topic:

I also read about the pollution and I have some concerns. Anyone living there care to comment. How about just staying inside and using a car to get around. Is the pollution a problem even when you are inside?

I guess my fellow members of the Chiang Mai forum expect me to reply so here goes:

If, like Jingthing, you have a pre-existing respiratory condition like asthma, Chiang Mai might not be your best choice. The month of March is frequently quite bad, sometimes late February and early April as well. The rest of the year Chiang Mai is actually one of the least polluted places in Thailand. As a basis for your own analysis and decision-making, I offer two graphs. The first compares average levels (over this decade) with some of the most and least polluted places, the other compares CM with some "popular farang areas". The raw data comes from the daily observations posted by the Pollution Control Department on their website.

post-20094-1256228271_thumb.jpg post-20094-1256228292_thumb.jpg

/ Priceless

.... I were in the mood for going one step further towards full retirement and moved to Lampang...

You're disappointing a bit PB ... I would have thought that you - as a long term CM-retiree resident with a 500+ bike - would have known that "lamphun" and "lampang" aren't just 2 different transcriptions of the same name but that they actually are 2 different locations. FYI "Lamphun" is the place about 28 km straight South of CM, where you make your UTURN if you forgot to turn left at both of the two lights at Saraphi, (which seems to be the Southern most location CM-expat retirees know of). In case you ever should dare not to make that UTURN but continue on the 6 lane highway further 70 km towards the Southeast, that's when you'll get to Lampang City which is a center - in its own right - totally independent of the (to us locals) inferior capital of that inferior province named Chiang Mai.

Way off topic, the OP is looking for info about CM not chicken coop squabbles.

Try to stay on topic please.

You're disappointing a bit PB ... I would have thought that you - as a long term CM-retiree resident with a 500+ bike - would have known that "lamphun" and "lampang" aren't just 2 different transcriptions of the same name but that they actually are 2 different locations.

Good grief, I know the difference; I worked in Lamphun for 20 months. Sorry to have misled you.

I doubt that Lampang is more exciting than Lamphun for an expat retiree. I also have been twice to MHS and found it much more remote and boring than Lamphun or (I suspect) Lampamg).

Please, no comments about our a**holes.

There are a few guys here with Philipino wives and girlfriends. They are not easy to spot because everyone thinks they are Thai. There is also a Philipino Restaurant in town where they probably have contact. The expat community is large and diverse and while Chiang Mai has it's problems, it is a safe and friendly city.

It is almost in Burma. Just a few kilometers west and you're there!

I love Mae Hong Son. It's a lovely town. But I would get bored really quickly if I moved there. Unless you really enjoy your solitude or plan to get very involved with the local Shan community, there isn't a lot to do.

On the up side, the town now has two 7-Elevens and a KFC, that is, if you like chicken.

I know where MHS is and where Burma is. But the OP wanted information and I could not see how "It is almost in Burma" helps him or contributes to the thread. PB also seemed to be replying to a post about Lampang by talking about Lamphun being too small.

Maybe, PB means that Lamphun is too small to be recommended as a place to live and that being near Burma is dangerous. I don't know. The text is far from clear. Or maybe it is just a statement that Lamphun is smaller than Lampang. Heaven only knows what the post meant. It seemed very garbled.

There are a few guys here with Philipino wives and girlfriends. They are not easy to spot because everyone thinks they are Thai. There is also a Philipino Restaurant in town where they probably have contact. The expat community is large and diverse and while Chiang Mai has it's problems, it is a safe and friendly city.

If you speak of Mabuhay restaurant on Sukkasem Road off Nimmanhaemin: it hardly seemed a vibrant place when I was there with some Philippina staff last month. (Food was ok though) But maybe I shouldn't go by a single lunch time visit.

Good to hear there are at least some Filipinos in town. I'll go and check out that restaurant and maybe chat to some of the staff if they are Filipino. If there's anyone on the forum who has a Filipino girl with them in CM I'd like to chat with them.

Thanks,