Retirement In Chiang Mai - Good Or Bad Idea

retiredat50

I know where MHS is and where Burma is. But the OP wanted information and I could not see how "It is almost in Burma" helps him or contributes to the thread. PB also seemed to be replying to a post about Lampang by talking about Lamphun being too small.

Maybe, PB means that Lamphun is too small to be recommended as a place to live and that being near Burma is dangerous. I don't know. The text is far from clear. Or maybe it is just a statement that Lamphun is smaller than Lampang. Heaven only knows what the post meant. It seemed very garbled.

caf, i wouldnt get hung up on the detail on one particular post, the OP may simply dismiss it. I would doubt retiredat50 would settle or not to settle in one of the places PB mentioned solely.

PB was just expressing his views, in which we are entitled to, garbled or not :)

Maybe, PB means that Lamphun is too small to be recommended as a place to live and that being near Burma is dangerous. I don't know. The text is far from clear. Or maybe it is just a statement that Lamphun is smaller than Lampang. Heaven only knows what the post meant. It seemed very garbled.

Lamphun has a population of about 65k, 55k of those are female (factory town, employees almost all female). It's about 15km outside of CM. Great drive with all the Dton Yang Yii (big rubber trees) lining the road most of the way.

I find it a pretty exciting place to go, especially on a Friday or Saturday night when the factory girls are all out on the pull. You will need to speak some Thai though as there appears to be no English at all spoken in the bars and restaurants. Last time I was there (few weeks ago) my pal and I (50+) were practically dragged into a bar by a couple of slim and pretty 20yr olds shouting 'gin cow' and pointing at their mouths. We barely escaped with our dignity and wallets intact. (we pretended to not speak or understand Thai, always a good escape ploy)

Not a place to go with a girlfriend though! (tea to China, etc.)

Good golf course there too.

Edited by pjclark1

Lamphun has a population of about 65k, 55k of those are female (factory town, employees almost all female). It's about 15km outside of CM. Great drive with all the Dton Yang Yii (big rubber trees) lining the road most of the way.

I find it a pretty exciting place to go, especially on a Friday or Saturday night when the factory girls are all out on the pull. You will need to speak some Thai though as there appears to be no English at all spoken in the bars and restaurants. Last time I was there (few weeks ago) my pal and I (50+) were practically dragged into a bar by a couple of slim and pretty 20yr olds shouting 'gin cow' and pointing at their mouths. We barely escaped with our dignity and wallets intact. (we pretended to not speak or understand Thai, always a good escape ploy)

This post has me somewhat confused (on the other hand, that happens quite frequently). According to 'official' statistics from UNESCAP (United Nations Economic and Social Council for Asia Pacific) the following are the relevant numbers for Lamphun:

Population in municipal area: 24,000

Population in province: 413,300

Sex ratio (Males per 100 females): 97.1

Where did 'pjclark1' get his numbers from? Anybody care to guess?

/ Priceless

I know where MHS is and where Burma is. But the OP wanted information and I could not see how "It is almost in Burma" helps him or contributes to the thread. PB also seemed to be replying to a post about Lampang by talking about Lamphun being too small.

caf, i wouldnt get hung up on the detail on one particular post, the OP may simply dismiss it. I would doubt retiredat50 would settle or not to settle in one of the places PB mentioned solely.

PB was just expressing his views, in which we are entitled to, garbled or not :)

I'm not hung up on it. I just don't understand it. But you are right the OP will dismiss it. It is totally unintelligible and of no practical use. There have been some very useful posts here and he has already taken some of the good advice on board.

PB was just expressing his views, in which we are entitled to, garbled or not :D

I'm not hung up on it. I just don't understand it. But you are right the OP will dismiss it. It is totally unintelligible and of no practical use. There have been some very useful posts here and he has already taken some of the good advice on board.

The practical use of PB's posts are that they bring a smile to my face and perhaps other people's too. Most of his posts are one line excerpts from his novel and/or autobiography. I wish he'd post a PDF of it, if it isn't published as I haven't read too many books in the Texas :) rhyming slang / stream of conciousness genre.

Edited by lannarebirth

I no longer have the hand coordination for very long posts; sorry.

I suggest the OP clarifies what kind of Thai city/town he thinks he and his Filipino/a want.

I've already checked out Pattaya, Phuket and Bangkok. First two of those have two many tourists and Bangkok seemed just too big. Looking for a quiet laid back town with comfortable weather and a reasonably friendly expat community. One of my concerns about CM is the pollution. Without being there to experience the problem I don't really know how much of a problem that would be for me. Earlier I was asking but didn't yet hear a reply. I wanted to know if the pollution is just an outside problem or if people actually notice the air conditions even when they are in their houses.

I no longer have the hand coordination for very long posts; sorry.

I suggest the OP clarifies what kind of Thai city/town he thinks he and his Filipino/a want.

I've already checked out Pattaya, Phuket and Bangkok. First two of those have two many tourists and Bangkok seemed just too big. Looking for a quiet laid back town with comfortable weather and a reasonably friendly expat community. One of my concerns about CM is the pollution. Without being there to experience the problem I don't really know how much of a problem that would be for me. Earlier I was asking but didn't yet hear a reply. I wanted to know if the pollution is just an outside problem or if people actually notice the air conditions even when they are in their houses.

Suggest you look at post #23 above. Indoors you can of course use air purifiers etc..

/ Priceless

Sorry but Lamphun is far from an "exciting place to go". I've been there a few times and I'd have to say it is one of the most boring towns I have ever been to in Thailand. A lot of those "slim and pretty 20yr olds" you refer to are actually men - well khatoeys. Watch out!

Sorry but Lamphun is far from an "exciting place to go". I've been there a few times and I'd have to say it is one of the most boring towns I have ever been to in Thailand. A lot of those "slim and pretty 20yr olds" you refer to are actually men - well khatoeys. Watch out!

80% are not female factory workers. And the gay guys don't dress as katoeys. Maybe 20 km south of railroad terminus; even the ride is boring on superhighway. Boring, but they dress well.

drag town in more ways than one :)

• 4 weeks later...

I think it is personal and about what you are looking for. We are all different and all want and like different things. If you like an easy going way of life, reasonably low costed living, cooler weather at times, countryside, golf and want to be close enough to a fairly large city....Chiang Mai is a winner. I think it is either the most popular or one of the most popular retirement places in SE Asia. But its only what I read. Thailand is a good place to retire especially if you have had a reasonable career and have some money saved, pension or some investments . Good restaurants, bars, shops, hospitals and so on. Many people love it. I saw a good article on a web site called Xomba about retirement in Chiang Mai. Useful information and comments. Maybe check it out.

I have retired and lived in Chiang Mai for the last 6 years.

If you like peace and quite, nothing too active, nice views, friendly local Thai people that smile at you, than Chiang Mai is for you.

One cannot compare Chiang Mai with the image of sordid Pattaya or the hustle and bustle of Bangkok.

As for the Farangs, I try to avoid them. Most will stick they’re noses up at you, not friendly and you will receive either the flared nostril tight lipped stare if you pass one outside of town or the invisible treatment. There are many sleazy looking old coffin dodgers here. Some come here to retire and die, but they don`t.

I live in a small out of town Thai village community. Nice friendly people with the minimal of Farangs in the area.

But it is easy to get caught up in a void living in Chiang Mai and can be a solitary place for those who do not already have associates here. There are many Farang friendly establishments in the town, such as restaurants and bars. But these are based on business owner customer relationships. Nice and friendly, will chat, but stop spending the money and one soon out stays they’re welcome.

My advice is, visit here for a couple of weeks, take a good look around at the nightlife, outer villages and residential areas and then make your own assessment as to whether Chiang Mai is for you or not.

Below:

Lamphun man during his 15 year mating cycle, after mating they die within the following 6 months.

post-11344-1258368299_thumb.jpg

Edited by sassienie

I'm afraid I must disagree with the previous post about the friendliness of the westerners (I refuse to use the "F-word"; I'll save that discussion for another post). I've found some very delightful western women in the 50-80 plus age range here, so the OPs wife just might find some friends, as I have. Many of these women have nice husbands, not the "coffin doggers" you see shuffling around the tourist bar areas. These nice husbands have some of their own activities.

To me, one of the attractions of Chiang Mai is the diversity of the English-speaking expats. Many are delightful people with fascinating "back stories". I wouldn't have met these people if I'd settled into high-priced retirement living in a suburb in middle America.

I concur with NancyL. There are some very nice expats of both sexes in Chiang Mai if you are willing to strike up a conversation with them. If you are too shy to take a chance on being rejected, you might have a problem as many of them feel the same way.

I have a few close friends and hundreds of friendly acquaintances and many of them have no interest in buying books. They were friendly long before I opened my business and I could care less if they patronize my stores as long as enough tourists do.

I have my fair share of enemies also, but they are mostly competitors or friends of competitors, so I don’t get too worried about that. :)

Chiang Mai is great in all respects - the only exception is the pollution. I am thinking of moving there but will definitely take off in March. Good time for a beach vacation. We do it every year, we're in Pai now but the pollution problem around March is the same in all of northern Thailand. (Lamphun Lampang included).

This year when we escaped the dust clouds we took the car and I remember that we were past Tak when the air finally improved. Halfway to BKK! I don't know if I'd brave it if I were alone but we have two young kids so getting out of the pollution is no question. The only good thing about it is that it's bad enough that at some point, the Thais will do something about it. That time hasn't arrived of course, as it is the locals are still happily setting fire to trash, fields, forests, and anything else that might be convenient to burn during that time...

Edited by nikster

Chiang Mai is great in all respects - the only exception is the pollution. I am thinking of moving there but will definitely take off in March. Good time for a beach vacation. We do it every year, we're in Pai now but the pollution problem around March is the same in all of northern Thailand. (Lamphun Lampang included).

This year when we escaped the dust clouds we took the car and I remember that we were past Tak when the air finally improved. Halfway to BKK! I don't know if I'd brave it if I were alone but we have two young kids so getting out of the pollution is no question. The only good thing about it is that it's bad enough that at some point, the Thais will do something about it. That time hasn't arrived of course, as it is the locals are still happily setting fire to trash, fields, forests, and anything else that might be convenient to burn during that time...

Agreed if you have health problems the time to take a break is in March but I'd like to point out it isn't just a local problem the burning is done all over South East Asia and it's Chiang Mai's geography that exacerbrates the problem not just the locals.