Question For Penzman

Hey, Penzman, this is Daeng. I saw on another post that you mentioned getting a license plate for your motorcycle. Did you pay much to get the plate? I bought my motorcycle (a second-hand Honda Degree mountain trail bike) in Chiangrai and was told that getting a registration and a license plate would cost an extra 50,000 baht, so I got the bike without the registration. If I could get the bike legal for not more than 10,000 baht, I'd probably go for it.

Hi Daeng.

It's 3:20 a.m and I'd have to wake up my wife in order to know. It was purchased in her name as it makes things much easier. All I remember is that I rode around without a plate for a few months and we picked it up one day.

I'll ask her tomorrow and let you know.

Cheers!

Penz :o

Hey, Penzman, this is Daeng.  I saw on another post that you mentioned getting a license plate for your motorcycle.  Did you pay much to get the plate? I bought my motorcycle (a second-hand Honda Degree mountain trail bike) in Chiangrai and was told that getting a registration and a license plate would cost an extra 50,000 baht, so I got the bike without the registration. If I could get the bike legal for not more than 10,000 baht, I'd probably go for it.

It's not always as easy to get a real book and plate as some might suggest... Take yourself and your bike to your local motor vehicles office and ask them. These are the only folks who will REALLY know, I think. Lots of scams here, too, with fake books and fake plates.. And many of these bikes are stolen, and that's why they have no plates or papers

I would also suggest you call Joe, who has a bike rental and repair shop in CM. He knows more than most about such things, and he'll tell you what's possible, and what's not. His number is 053- 251-186

Good luck.

Hey, Penzman, this is Daeng.  I saw on another post that you mentioned getting a license plate for your motorcycle.  Did you pay much to get the plate? I bought my motorcycle (a second-hand Honda Degree mountain trail bike) in Chiangrai and was told that getting a registration and a license plate would cost an extra 50,000 baht, so I got the bike without the registration. If I could get the bike legal for not more than 10,000 baht, I'd probably go for it.

My wife says the licence plate should stay on the vehicle or m'cycle when it is sold to you. It's likely it was stolen before being sold to you since it had no plate and book as the book should also be given to you along with the plate.

She says the plate comes with the book. It cost her about 1,200 baht for the plate and book for her car. The motorcycle cost about 1000 she says.

If a plate is lost or stolen, it can be replaced by showing the vehicle's book. If the book is lost or stolen, the owner should get a police report to have it replaced.

She jumped when she read about the extra 50 000 baht you mentioned. One word, colluption!

My wife says the licence plate should stay on the vehicle or m'cycle when it is sold to you. It's likely it was stolen before being sold to you since it had no plate and book as the book should also be given to you along with the plate.

She says the plate comes with the book. It cost her about 1,200 baht for the plate and book for her car. The motorcycle cost about 1000 she says.

If a plate is lost or stolen, it can be replaced by showing the vehicle's book. If the book is lost or stolen, the owner should get a police report to have it replaced.

She jumped when she read about the extra 50 000 baht you mentioned. One word, colluption!

I think you and your wife are talking about a bike that has already been reg. This 50,000 is for a bike not reg. yet. Hopefully the poster has the invoice showing the import duties paid.

I think you and your wife are talking about a bike that has already been reg. This 50,000 is for a bike not reg. yet. Hopefully the poster has the invoice showing the import duties paid.

ajahnlau, How does the process work? Who do you pay the 50,00 baht to? Have you ever done it yourself? Have you confirmed through facts that this process is legit and not corruption or just some Urban Legend in Thailand?

That's what I'm thinking as well. It would cost more than some used bikes... :o

The reason I asked is because I've heard these stories before- since 1986 to be exact... exactly 50,000 baht, too.... Never seen one confirmed case, but lots of claims that it's true. Every investigation I made ended up with a forged book and illegal plates. That story is, you are told you can't move the registration, and you can only renew at one particular office in Bkk, Rayong, or Phuket... This scenario has come up a few times.. I even tried once myself with a pieced-together bike from Japan... Same dead end.

Me thinks it's still an Urban Legend in Thailand, but I sure would like to be proven wrong :D

ajahnlau, How does the process work? Who do you pay the 50,00 baht to? Have you ever done it yourself? Have you confirmed through facts that this process is legit and not corruption or just some Urban Legend in Thailand?

Matter of fact have done a bike from invoice to reg. The money is paid to the reg. office above the table and rec. issued. So not a legend,myth,colluption,etc. The avg. Thai has no idea how this is done and this is why advice from one's wife who thinks only farangs pay this is all wrong. Eveyone pays this farang or Thai. And yes know Thais and other farangs who have paid 50 plus to get a bike reg.

If you have a legit invoice, then yes... No invoice, book or plates... No way, Jose, according to my experiences and the experiences of those a lot more clued-in to this than me. As one long-established bike shop said to me today, lots of claims to the contrary, but no facts to back the claims ever seen except for forged books and illegal plates...

Still like to be proven wrong, though. :o

If you have a legit invoice, then yes... No invoice, book or plates... No way, Jose, according to my experiences and the experiences of those a lot more clued-in to this than me. As one long-established bike shop said to me today, lots of claims to the contrary, but no facts to back the claims ever seen except for forged books and illegal plates...

Still like to be proven wrong, though.  :o

Really don't ubderstand your last post.I'm talking about bikes with a proper invoice. Yes there are bikes with forged books or running big bikes on Honda Dream stickers. Most of the guys I know have 100% legit bikes and papers. Too much of a gamble too lose 500,000 up on a bike that doesn't have proper papers. An earlier poster mentioned a book costing more than some older used bikes, yes that's possible.

Penzman, thanks for getting back to me. And thanks for all the other posts on this topic. The motorcycle I bought was imported from Japan in pieces and assembled in Thailand. No, it does not have any original registration papers in Thailand. I do have an purchase invoice from the shop where I bought the motorcycle (in Chiangrai) as well as copies of lots of invoices the shop owner has on the parts he bought before assembling the motorcycle.

- Daeng

Take all the inv. and related paperwork and bike down to veh. reg. office and start process for reg. They will tell you how much and if you can't afford it then walk away and ride discretely. Let us know any info. you recieve.

And there's the rub, to my way of seeing things. I love motorcycles; this makes #11 now, and about 150,000 MILES of riding so far. But even if it can be done in Chiang Mai, legally, for 50,000 baht, it's not worth it. You still don't have a warranty. There must be at least one fully competent m/c mechanic in CMai, and ten more in Bangkok, but can they really really actually truly genuinely get the right parts? Even the Honda dealer sometimes takes a week to get stock tire for a CBR150R; how long does it take to get a starter for a four-cylinder bike? I've heard enough horror stories already (a VFR500 Honda, a KL250 Yamaha just for starters) where the bike was almost worthless. I'd love to have a 400 or a 500, but with a new, dealer-honored warranty.

I used to rent those yellow Suzuki GS400 sportbikes. Finally I asked the purchase price; his first offer was 32,000 baht. But they were poorly maintained, and had no registration. I doubt that parts are available, or that mechanics are knowledgable. I've driven 28,000 crazy, wild kilometers since then on a perfectly legal bike, and I've never even been stopped. I still think a bike with no plate is an open invitation to a fine/bribe.