Windows 7 Hits The Market

george

Will you upgrade to WIndows 7?  

471 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Windows 7 hits the market

windows_7_boxes_270x97.JPG

NEW YORK: -- Although the official U.S. launch event is still some hours away, Microsoft's Windows 7 operating system has hit the market, going on sale in a number of countries across the globe.

Executives from Microsoft have fanned out to celebrate the launch of the company's core product upon which the rest of Redmond's empire has been built. The software giant is counting on favorable reviews and new features to help Windows rebuilt its image in the face of a disappointing response to Windows Vista.

Microsoft is touting the value of Windows in the face of a resurgent Apple. As part of the launch, Microsoft is celebrating seven days of deals in a number of key markets, including the United States. Among the specials is a $1,200 package from Hewlett-Packard and Best Buy that includes a Netbook, laptop, desktop, monitor and router as well as in-home installation.

"The Best Buy offer is a home makeover," Microsoft Vice President Tami Reller told CNET News. "For the price of a Mac you have a new notebook, a new Netbook, a new desktop, and a new router to bring it together with the help of the Geek Squad."

In addition to landing on new PCs, Microsoft will also sell stand-alone versions of Windows 7 that can be used to upgrade an existing PC. Although Microsoft still offers a half-dozen different flavors of the operating system in all, Redmond is focusing its energies around two versions--the Home Premium and Professional versions.

It will sell both a full version of the operating system that can be used on any hardware as well as an upgrade version to be used on existing PCs. Although both Windows XP and Windows Vista can be upgraded to Windows 7, only Vista can be done without backing up and reinstalling both programs and data.

A huge marketing blitz will accompany the debut of Windows 7, with Microsoft continuing its "I'm a PC" campaign, by featuring average users who point to various aspects of the new operating system as representing their idea.

Microsoft plans to formalize the launch with an event here with CEO Steve Ballmer (CNET News will cover the 11 a.m. ET event live). The software maker is also opening its first retail store, in Scottsdale, Ariz., as well as a "Windows Cafe" in Paris.

Steven Sinofsky, the divisional president who has spearheaded the development of Windows 7, is presiding over the Japanese launch of the product, while designer Julie Larson-Green is at an event in London.

Microsoft employees in Redmond's Building 37 plan to remotely ring the bell to open Nasdaq trading on Thursday, while Microsoft and its computer maker partners will ring the closing bell.

The product has already gone on sale in Australia.

-- CNET 2009-10-22

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still using Windows 2000. Works well. What's the point of upgrading?

2000 in thailand ?? thats the last OS should be used ... 2000 was completly skipped due serious multilanguage issues.

almost 98% of thailand did crossupgrade from 98 to XP

Edited by altf4

The REAL FORCE ... for Productivity, Security and Performance is called "Mac OS"

i stop using windows at NT 4.0 already .. and so far it did not getting better at all until vista :)

I'll wait until all the bugs have been ironed out and the final verdict comes in.

I'm with you on this one - I figure I'll give it a year or so -- time for the bugs to get worked out (SP2 or 3?) and 3rd party drivers to be written properly.

Please note the version already being sold the last few months in Pantip was the BETA version and missing features in the RELEASED version.

Selling in Australia now from $145 for the original version www.bettertelecom.com.au/bettershop

Anybody on VISTA should move to Windows 7 fast. Anybody happy with Windows XP should do nothing.

I used the beta version of Win7 and the Release Candidate of Win7 - both very stable and very fast. This is one Microsoft Product i will definately purchase!

(just need to find a legal copy in Thailand - more difficult than you think!)

Within the last month I bought an HP desktop computer which, of course, had Win Vista. To be honest, I rather like Vista, but I also realize I am coming to it long after all those bugs were worked out.

Yesterday I read quite a good article about Win7 which was mostly favorable, though not a rave. As I read it I was looking for what it has that I want that Vista doesn't have. I found little. But, I can still be convinced. So far, however, I'm just not sold...not that I have an aversion to it...and I say that knowing that I get a free upgrade of it from HP.

Edited by phetaroi

Please note the version already being sold the last few months in Pantip was the BETA version and missing features in the RELEASED version.

Are you sure its the BETA version, ive been running the RTM for a month or two now (upgrade from RC), what is the difference between the retail and RTM version ??

Edited by Spoonman

I voted "no" because I do not use Windows on my home computer, and my work computer (which is running Windows XP) is old and due to be replaced soon anyway. Also, my employer has recommended that we not upgrade work computers to Windows 7 until they have a chance to certify our VPN software and other required applications first. Eventually, my new work computer will probably ship with Windows 7, but I have no idea exactly when I will be getting it.

Sure I like to move away from Vista.

I have already ordered Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium EN OEM, 64bit here in Norway.

It will give PS CS4 more power and I'm not too happy with my Visata home premium, it tends to "frees" ever so often.

In a couple weeks I'll buy a new Compaq laptop with W7 installed by IT CITY. No Pantip for me when it comes to the O/S. I have two HP desktops and one HP laptop, all three from IT CITY (great after sale service!) with Vista Ultimate (the real one).

Asked about it on Saturday at IT City in Pantip and the sales guy had no idea when it was coming legally to Thailand either pre-loaded in new machines or separately in Vista upgrade or stand alone form. He didn't even know it was launching elsewhere on 22 Oct but just suggested buying a new machine with Vista pre-loaded and getting the free upgrade, in spite of the hassle that might involve for customers. Meanwhile, the pirates were aggressively offering bootleg Windows 7 along with their sex dvds.

The whole thing is a rip off as Windows 7 is technically just service pack 3 for Vista, which was launched before it was ready, and attempts to correct some its more glaring faults. The worst rip off is the Ulitmate version. Microsoft never delivered what they promised to Ultimate Vista buyers and then had the gall not to offer them a discounted upgrade package in the US. Their only options were to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate at full price or upgrade to Windows 7 Professional at a discount and accept the downgrade which I think removes features like the Windows Media Center and bitlocker.

Microsoft Thailand does't seem to have offered any discounts on upgrades from Vista at all, apart from the free upgrade to those who bought Vista pre-loaded after July or August. I suppose they just expect dissatisfied Vista users to upgrade by doing a clean instal of bootleg Windows 7 Ultimate and coudn't be bothered to come up with any upgrade promotions. Has any one heard of any upgrade discounts for legal OSin the LOS?

To get a new machine, as well as waiting for bugs to be worked out of 7 and more driver compatibility, I also want to wait for motherboards that ship with the new USB 3.0 controller on board which should happen in the first half of next year (the first USB 3.0 external discs have already shipped using an adaptor to control them). USB 2.0 motherboards and USB 2.0 external devices that transfer heaps of data will rapidly become obsolete after that, including I presume the new iPhone, as transfer speeds of USB 3.0 are ten times as fast. Windows 7 apparently doesn't support the USB 3.0 standard, so that we will have to be the subject of a major upgrade before long.

Edited by Arkady

It's a sweet OS Windows 7. Except you will have driver issues if installing on an older system.

Installed Windows 7 64 bit on my 2007 VAIO and there are no current drivers for the graphics card

and there are NO supported drivers for my Webcam or memory stick slot!

Stick to Windows XP if you have an older system. Otherwise you'll be paying someone to service

your machine on top of the Windows 7 installation. Expensive. :)

Got the RTM version since July and it's runing well. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits. I do not notice so much difference with Windows Vista 64Bits on my desktop. Well, it takes less memory and boot a bit faster.

My specifications :

Q6600 @ 3.2GHz

8GB RAM PC8500 GSKILL

3To combined Hard Disk

GC HD3870 (soon will be replaced by HD5850)

Anyway, there was more improvement on my Laptop and gain much more battery life. For light use as internet, some Photoshop use, I get over 4Hrs (3h15 with Vista 64bits) and when watching FULL HD Movies I get about 3h20mn (2h30 with Vista 64Bits).

For now I don't have nay bad thought about Windows 7. It's running very well as good as Vista 64bits on desktop, but much better than Vista on Laptop.

Demps1, what are these bugs you talk off ??

These are not bugs, just possible problems for u:

* if u have XP, there is no upgrade. u have to copy ur docs and whatnot somewhere, install a fresh copy of win7, then copy ur gunk back.

* if u have vista, certain programs are removed, like itunes and google toolbar, and you have to reinstall. there are others, but i don't have the list.

But i have been running Win7 in VMware fusion on a mac side by side with Vista, and the things I noticed are:

* much better performance

* no more nag screens

So for those two reasons, I would upgrade...cheers!

I think the poll should be reworded to "Will you down-grade to windows 7?". Considering you'll have to upgrade to higher end computers, receive the same performance as XP on older hardware, and be prevented from using pirated software/music by the OS, I'd say it's a down-grade...

Another made-in-India flop

Got the RTM version since July and it's runing well. I'm using Windows

7 Ultimate 64bits. I do not notice so much difference with Windows

Vista 64Bits on my desktop. Well, it takes less memory and boot a bit

faster.

My specifications :

Q6600 @ 3.2GHz<br>8GB RAM PC8500 GSKILL

3To combined Hard Disk<br>GC HD3870 (soon will be replaced by HD5850)

Anyway, there was more improvement on my Laptop and gain much more battery life. For light use as internet, some Photoshop use, I get over 4Hrs (3h15 with Vista 64bits) and when watching FULL HD Movies I get about 3h20mn (2h30 with Vista 64Bits).

For now I don't have nay bad thought about Windows 7. It's running very well as good as Vista 64bits on desktop, but much better than Vista on Laptop.

Edited by Fabdial

I'll wait until all the bugs have been ironed out and the final verdict comes in.

They're still ironing out the bugs in XP!!

I can see no point in not only paying out money for an OS that does nothing more than XP, but I will also have to upgrade many applications. plus the time and hassle of reformatting the drive and instaliing all the new programs.

I am taking this time to become very familiar with Linux so when the time comes that I have to change I have an OS that I am familiar with to change to.

Demps1, what are these bugs you talk off ??

These are not bugs, just possible problems for u:

* if u have XP, there is no upgrade. u have to copy ur docs and whatnot somewhere, install a fresh copy of win7, then copy ur gunk back.

* if u have vista, certain programs are removed, like itunes and google toolbar, and you have to reinstall. there are others, but i don't have the list.

But i have been running Win7 in VMware fusion on a mac side by side with Vista, and the things I noticed are:

* much better performance

* no more nag screens

So for those two reasons, I would upgrade...cheers!

No problems for me, ive been running it on my PC and Laptop for quite a while now, pity its so dam_n expensive otherwise i would be more than willing to purchase it, instead i'll stick with what ive got.

I'm still using Windows 2000. Works well. What's the point of upgrading?

2000 in thailand ?? thats the last OS should be used ... 2000 was completly skipped due serious multilanguage issues.

almost 98% of thailand did crossupgrade from 98 to XP

No problem reading Thai font.