The Suit-seller Hawks, Abundance Of Foreigner Tailor Shops

Portlandstone

First, how do all these foreign guys, that look Pakistani to me, have the ability to stay and work here. In large numbers. Why is there no reaction or backlash against them?

Secondly, what are some good things to say to make them bug off? Their technique seems to be to wait until you walk adjacent to them and right as you are passing they calmly yell, almost shout at you and keep doing so well after you've past them. They especially seem to target you when they can tell you aren't interested, like when I was petting a cat, far down from their shop, with several bags in my hand, and the guy took it upon himself to walk all the way down and aggressively introduce himself. When I mentioned I didn't want any, he only tried to continue the conversation even though I avoided him further. What is a nice comment you make to get them to piss off (with a scowl). Apparently nice talk does not do it. In any event, why do these guys think that foreign white males are here solely for their pickings?

Third, is Sukhumvit road, among other streets, going to be renamed "suitfuryuu boulevard"?

Thanks for any help.

Several of them on Silom and around too. Or, they look Pakistani and have that dialect too, but one could be wrong...

Once I got tricked to shake hand when one put it straight at me, I took it, looked down, nodded and just walked further on without missing a beat. Now I just don't give them more than a 0.1s look to see where they are standing and they will usually not even try to initiate something.

At least "Nepali Passports"!

Some of them are offspring of the Gurkha troops being used in colonial times in Myanmar!

And they are neither welcome in Myanmar, nor in their fathers home country!

Few are genuine Nepali, some families (tourism) can afford to support them for "overseas" business

venture, some are simply refugees.

The whole Tailor-Business is very big business in India, Nepal and Pakistan, easy to

sell inferior cheap quality and the prices after all, aren't that low... the next things is that

most of them are HORRIBLY tailored, the finishing touch is usually very superficial -

cheap, that is all - in 85% of the cases!

Anyone who has ever worn an Armani, Ermengildo Zegna, Haspel, Lauren or a Burberry suit or shirt knows what it is all about, had a "Harris Tweed" jacket, it lasted for many, many years, without loosing one button, torn lining or going out of shape...but then if it is only for the money...

It get's really interesting if one is on a business meeting with one of the "Bombay-Tailor" suits and someone ask's: "Been to Hongkong recently" whilst mustering the suit, with a little grin in his face... :)

They aren't Pakistani, one knows when being pestered by one of them...

Edited by Samuian

Actually I think you will find that almost all tailors in Thailand are Indian Sikhs (you can tell by the turbans) from the Punjab area of Northern India. Most of the younger ones are born and raised in Thailand and speak thai. They work here as they have thai ID cards. There are 50,000 in Bangkok and they own alot of Sukhumvit. THere is a lot of money in this community.

I have found there is no easy way to get rid of them, I just totally ignore them and they do get the message eventually.

try and sell them something back. When they reach out to shake your hand keep tight hold of it whilst taking something out of your pocket to sell to them, make sure you are aggressive with your sales pitch and totally ignore their sales pitch. After this they will leave you alone so need to even ignore them next time as they will not speak to you. (joke). Just ignore them as you walk past normally works.

What is even more annoying is the fake cockney accent they give when they say "alright mate"

The ones I know are Indian merchants, usually second or third generation. Thailand had a influx of Moors, many of which settled in Thailand and Cambodia centuries ago. That is the reason why Thai religion is Buddhist with some elements of Hindu. Both religions came from India. The majority of these traders are legal with Thai passports/ citizenship.

I use a tailors on soi 11/1 Sukhumvit. They have no touts outside the door and enjoy repeat business as they are good at meauring up. No matter what suit you buy, from which tailors they are all made in the handfull of large sweat-shops.

In Bangkok I do not find the tailor touts annoying, I just ignore them and move on. Never establish eye-contact with a tout. Just keep moving.

Was in Phuket a few years ago. Patong. They were really quite agressive there and I had to resort using the word 'Chelo' (hindi for go away) a number of times.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

3 tested methods for me;

1.The Peter Sellers "Being There" method for you old timers or Borat approach for the hip, say something nonsensical back to them. Keep up the game of chicken and always smile.

2. Oh no, I am not into young men and look at them in shock, or if you are feeling particularly naughty, ask how much for super happy ending. They usually high tail it with a terrified expression.

3. Cough into your hand and then go to shake their hand. Keep coughing. ask aloud, gosh I wonder if I have H1N1.

Yes, it's a rude response, but after the same guy asks you the same question for a month, and you keep saying no thanks, you are allowed to do this.

They are mostly from Nepal. :)
Or, they look Pakistani and have that dialect too,
Actually I think you will find that almost all tailors in Thailand are Indian Sikhs (you can tell by the turbans) from the Punjab area of Northern India.
The ones I know are Indian merchants, usually second or third generation. Thailand had a influx of Moors, many of which settled in Thailand and Cambodia centuries ago. That is the reason why Thai religion is Buddhist with some elements of Hindu. Both religions came from India. The majority of these traders are legal with Thai passports/ citizenship.

So where are they from then?

The owners of the tailor shops may be Thai nationals of Indian descent but that doesn't mean the touts are. Those are different job functions. BTW, maybe the issue is that Thai nationals do not want these tout jobs and also English proficiency is a requirement. Thais with good English can do better than that, even being a waiter in a tourist restaurant is better than that.

2. Oh no, I am not into young men and look at them in shock, or if you are feeling particularly naughty, ask how much for super happy ending. They usually high tail it with a terrified expression.
You bring up a good point. Many of them are quite fetching. Edited by Jingthing

Thailand had a influx of Moors, many of which settled in Thailand and Cambodia centuries ago. That is the reason why Thai religion is Buddhist with some elements of Hindu.

Thailand is Buddhist with elements of Hinduism because of the Moors?

Most of the tailor shops are run and owned by ethnic Sihks - who are 2nd and 3rd and 4th generation Thai citizens

At one point large areas of Suhkumvit and Silom were owned by Thailands' Sihk community - and were given the land by King Rama V and VI in the late 1800's and early 1900's - in the days when it was still a swamp. Those who have hung on to their land holdings are now very wealthy indeed.

The "goffers" you see hanging around the front doors of taylor shops? - mostly the owners son or a Nepelese lad - who takes your order and runs off to one or other of the sweatshops where your "class A Armani copy suit" is ratteled of a sewing machine in 24hrs, by a worker, who is pooled to make for a half dozen shops in the area! In other words the tailor shop you go to often has little to do with who actualy makes the suit!

The Sihk communtiy continues to this day to enjoy a close and priviledged relationship with the Thai Royal family - it is the foreign ethnic group in Thailand that is recognised as closest to the Thai Royal family.

Thailand had a influx of Moors, many of which settled in Thailand and Cambodia centuries ago. That is the reason why Thai religion is Buddhist with some elements of Hindu.

I made a mistake there. Thailand is to some extent Buddhist with elements of Hinduism due to the influx of traders from India reaching the far east and wroking here.

They have been here a long time.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

I made a mistake there. Thailand is to some extent Buddhist with elements of Hinduism due to the influx of traders from India reaching the far east and wroking here.

They have been here a long time.

I suspect GFL meant to write the Mons, who are credited with introducing Buddhism to Thailand.

A large population of them over in areas like Pra Samut Chedi and Samut Prakarn, yes they have been there a long time.

Most of the tailor shops are run and owned by ethnic Sihks - who are 2nd and 3rd and 4th generation Thai citizens

At one point large areas of Suhkumvit and Silom were owned by Thailands' Sihk community - and were given the land by King Rama V and VI in the late 1800's and early 1900's - in the days when it was still a swamp. Those who have hung on to their land holdings are now very wealthy indeed.

The "goffers" you see hanging around the front doors of taylor shops? - mostly the owners son or a Nepelese lad - who takes your order and runs off to one or other of the sweatshops where your "class A Armani copy suit" is ratteled of a sewing machine in 24hrs, by a worker, who is pooled to make for a half dozen shops in the area! In other words the tailor shop you go to often has little to do with who actualy makes the suit!

The Sihk communtiy continues to this day to enjoy a close and priviledged relationship with the Thai Royal family - it is the foreign ethnic group in Thailand that is recognised as closest to the Thai Royal family.

Spot on, most lower Sukhumvit residential sois you can see more of them as Thais. Running a tailor shops, restaurants, the corner stores and also staying in the same soi and they aint renting nor driving a Vios. Actually it is more likely that most of the farangs in this forum staying in the area are renting from them. Some without having any idea your land lord is the same tout you try to ignore :)

I think most of them are from Nepal...

Quite of few of these guys go to my gym so I chat with them. None of them have ID cards so are all working illegally, yet are able to do so in broad daylight, right next to the police!

I got to agree with you. most of them are illegal immigrants...

Best reaction is no reaction at all, just completely blank them and you'll find the hassle disappears very quickly.

You may find this difficult to do at first, as a natural knee-jerk reaction for most westerners is to at least acknowledge someone who talks to you; and if a hand is thrust out in front of you as a greeting, most people find it goes against their instincts to walk past as if it wasn't there.

But, to engage these guys in any form of conversation, even if it is to say "no thank you", is a mistake as that will just lead to more sales patter. A good suit salesman will have many, many more clever responses lined up for "no thanks" than he will for "OK, well I may be interested..."

Anyway, Bangkok's a walk in the park really as far as tailor touts go. Pattaya is much worse, and Patong has got to be the worst place of all.

Edited by dantilley

Yeah, Pattaya is bad that way. I just blank them out and yes that works. To get over the feeling that you are being too rude, think of it this way, if you really aren't going to buy something, you are saving them any energy expended on pitching you, so you are doing them a favor. Let the real marks acknowledge them.

I dont think the owners of the shops would use his son or relative to tout the customers.

An easy way to get rid of them is speak to them in Thai.So they remember you and wont call again.

As far as i am aware most of them are Nepalies burmese descendant that tout the place.

The neaplese burmese that work in most tailors shop for the pass 15 years and some may have obtain thai citizenship and manage to open their own store in sukhumvit or silom side of town learning the art of the trade from the sikh entrepreneur.

There is less pakistanis in tailoring field.

The Sikh Community has been in Thailand from 19th century and are reputed class in the society. They are many 5th to 6th generation tailors shop in Bangkok itself. They are traders and are in many trades like property real estates( these are the 4th generation who have decendant) ; Textiles ; restaurants and Tailors.

What can their real business be? I've been to TH eight times and have only met about 3 people who ever purchased a suit there.

And I watch the storefronts when I pass day after day when I am on holiday, never, never see anyone buying anything.

Once I was looking at watches and the guy took me through a door in the back of a tailor shop where they had a small room full of watches.

Anyway, I don't think that many of them sell suits for a business. I think it's a front for other things. How can you survive even if you sell 10 suits a month (which would be amazing) for 100 bucks each?