Single And Retired

melbat

If you are single and a UK citizen, retired here and thinking of getting married you should do it before April next year. After April 1st 2010 you wont be able to claim the dependance allowance of 58 pounds a week after that date. If you are able to claim you will have the 58 pounds a week till 2020 when the allowance stops altogether. Might be many quicky marriages in Thailand soon! :)

If you are single and a UK citizen, retired here and thinking of getting married you should do it before April next year. After April 1st 2010 you wont be able to claim the dependance allowance of 58 pounds a week after that date. If you are able to claim you will have the 58 pounds a week till 2020 when the allowance stops altogether. Might be many quicky marriages in Thailand soon! :D

The stampede of the Thai ladies is on. Get Saddled for life just for a short tax break. :):D:D

mmm... works out to be 30 thousand pounds over 10 years... not to be sniffed at even at 54 to the pound!

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, a slap around the head with a wet kipper?

So am I to take it that if you married before 2010 you can still 'attempt' to claim the extra? Better than what's on offer for anybody's spouse here, aka sod all.

As far as I can tell if you are married and claim before April 1st 2010 you can claim. It dont seem to be means tested.. The terms are your wife should be not earning or employed. You can download the claims form from the internet. Do a google search and it will take you to the correct page. You have to send a copy of your marriage certificate and a copy of your wife's birth certificate with your claim form. After that I think it's a formality.

£58 a week for no more than ten years....is it worth the aggro and the sin sod???

mmm... works out to be 30 thousand pounds over 10 years... not to be sniffed at even at 54 to the pound!

Is the payment subject to tax? If so, factor in the tax due and net it. :)

The infamous clawback of benefits.

Useful information to me, having just got married in the Summer. At age 58 now and therefore over 65 in 2010 I guess this means it could go on for life.

Does anyone know if this has to be claimed using a special claims form. I would have thought it would come through automatically if you have to prepare a tax return, as I do (but a lot of people do not prepare UK tax returns I guess).

While in the general area - is there an allowance for new kids (the first for me) too?

I'm being a bit lazy and should do my own research, so don't answer if you can't be @rs@d

Useful information to me, having just got married in the Summer. At age 58 now and therefore over 65 in 2010 I guess this means it could go on for life.

Does anyone know if this has to be claimed using a special claims form. I would have thought it would come through automatically if you have to prepare a tax return, as I do (but a lot of people do not prepare UK tax returns I guess).

While in the general area - is there an allowance for new kids (the first for me) too?

I'm being a bit lazy and should do my own research, so don't answer if you can't be @rs@d

As far as I'm aware you have to be 65 before April 1st 2010. Also you have to claim before then. You can contact the Pensions office at Revenue and Customs in UK or e-mail and they will send you a claims form if you cant find it on the net. I will be 65 in Feb and was told by the Pensions office they will send me the forms in November, 4 months before my birthday. They also told me after April 2010 I cannot claim for a dependant. As for children you can ask them you might be able to make a claim for them too. Their phone number is 00441912257977. I found them very helpful. Best of luck

If you are single and a UK citizen, retired here and thinking of getting married you should do it before April next year. After April 1st 2010 you wont be able to claim the dependance allowance of 58 pounds a week after that date. If you are able to claim you will have the 58 pounds a week till 2020 when the allowance stops altogether. Might be many quicky marriages in Thailand soon! :)

I have apllied for my UK pension about three mts ago, and they sent me back a form to fill in claiming for spouse, wife / husband, I did not no about this and I did not ask them for it, but I have sent it back just wiat and see 58 extra pound a week that can make life much better

If you are single and a UK citizen, retired here and thinking of getting married you should do it before April next year. After April 1st 2010 you wont be able to claim the dependance allowance of 58 pounds a week after that date. If you are able to claim you will have the 58 pounds a week till 2020 when the allowance stops altogether. Might be many quicky marriages in Thailand soon! :D
=melbat post =3094480 :) can you elaborate on your post please, I am married to a thai have been ten years. as i understand it, as i am married, i get a tax allwance ie a married persons allowance. as opposed to a single person. are you posting to say that theres is an additional sum that can be claimed ? or are you just refering to the married allowance for tax purposes.??

they, cut my pension, and stopped health benifits, i paid for, a long time ago as i reside in Thailand

i undersood there was something being done at the international court to resolve this

has it been done ? thanks to any one who can enlighten me here i should say i can survive on my pensions quite well so no stupid blasts please riley76 :D

If Anyone requires the form you can download it from here.... http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_179755

Best of luck