Continual Internet Dropout - Computer Fault

WitawatWatawit

It's a computer glitch, not the internet as best as I can tell. Brief background: Decided to go legit with my OS, so bought the licensed Win XP Home and had it installed. For several days, my firewall keep popping up messages to allow certain programs to connect. There were many, and I googled them before allowing or blocking. One site mentioned one of the programs would cause an internet conflict and said it was optional -- but damned if I remember the program or can find the site.

Now the problem: My PC continually disrupts my ADSL connection. Sometimes I'm connected for only a few minutes before the modem light blinks to tell me the computer is not reading the net, other times I can stay online for up to an hour. If I stay disconnected, the modem continues to blink and then eventually stablises, then when I manually reconnect, the disconnect light comes on again a few minutes later. I've installed SP3, hoping this would cure the problem, but it hasn't.

Anyone had a similar problem or got any suggestions before I haul my PC's sorry ass off to the techs?

Many thanks.

PS: Should have stuck to the pirated XP Pro -- never had any problems with that. Sheesh. MS seems determined to drive us back into the hands of the pirates (I jest, of course).

PPS: Have searched this forum to about page 12, but it's taking me hours as my connection keeps dropping out every couple of minutes, and I have to wait until the modem stabilises.

It's a computer glitch, not the internet as best as I can tell. Brief background: Decided to go legit with my OS, so bought the licensed Win XP Home and had it installed. For several days, my firewall keep popping up messages to allow certain programs to connect. There were many, and I googled them before allowing or blocking. One site mentioned one of the programs would cause an internet conflict and said it was optional -- but damned if I remember the program or can find the site.

Now the problem: My PC continually disrupts my ADSL connection. Sometimes I'm connected for only a few minutes before the modem light blinks to tell me the computer is not reading the net, other times I can stay online for up to an hour. If I stay disconnected, the modem continues to blink and then eventually stablises, then when I manually reconnect, the disconnect light comes on again a few minutes later. I've installed SP3, hoping this would cure the problem, but it hasn't.

Anyone had a similar problem or got any suggestions before I haul my PC's sorry ass off to the techs?

Many thanks.

PS: Should have stuck to the pirated XP Pro -- never had any problems with that. Sheesh. MS seems determined to drive us back into the hands of the pirates (I jest, of course).

PPS: Have searched this forum to about page 12, but it's taking me hours as my connection keeps dropping out every couple of minutes, and I have to wait until the modem stabilises.

Well this is interesting ... Has anyone else here had any more problems with the 'pirated' versions of their software than those who felt they just 'decided to go legit'? :)

I can't understand how your windows can disconnect your adsl connection.I'm sure it is just coincidence that you installed that new windows and that the problem lays with your internet provider.Might it be that you are using TOT? :)

Try leaving the router on but disconnect the computer and see if it will stay connected to the internet. Most routers will tell you how long they have been online. You could use this to determine if it has disconnected and how long ago it reconnected. If the computer was not on at the time then it is not the culprit.

Boy, you guys are quick with the responses. Ta muchly.

I'm using True (wasn't having any problems with it before). I'm also using the original broadband Billion modem. True customer service seems to think that's the problem, so I'll do as trogers says and try the Winsock fix first. If that doesn't work, then I'll reinstall my Zyxel modem and Linksys router and see what happens. Might be a couple of days before I report back as I've got a hectic schedule today and tomorrow.

Once again, thanks for the rapid replies.

Wit.

BTW, wilsongbrown, I did hear of someone else who switched from pirated OS to legit copy and encountered a lot of problems (don't know the details, though).

You need to check if your DSL connection is being interrupted, which would indicate problems on the line. However, what it sounds like is that your connection is 'timing-out,' and that you need to go into the connection settings (in Windows) and change it to a higher time period or set it to always-on. What could be happening is that your Windows Network Connection is set to time out after 5min or something.

One site mentioned one of the programs would cause an internet conflict and said it was optional -- but damned if I remember the program or can find the site.

As for he program website suggesting connection problems - start, settings, control panel, add/remove programs - get pen and paper and copy the names. Go to your local internet cafe' and research again, check the one(s) listing conflicts, then go home and delete them.

As for the connection problems - have you had a lot of rain lately? Had a similar problem a few years back while living in Hua Hin. After calling and calling the phone people they finally, after 4-5 trips to the house, found a 3' section of the phone line that ran into the house that had gotten water in it from all the flooding style rains. Clip, clip, reconnected the line and it worked perfectly.