Thai Men Unhygienic?

Dazzler

As a Thai fellow (although I don't speak for all of us)....  I shower twice a day and bathed professionally around 2-3 times a week. 

C'mon Heng... tell us where those professional bathing spots are... :o

I've also been told on numberous occasions both here and abroad that my excrement smells sweet as well. 

Man I'm not touching that one... :D

Compared to most places, I'd say the LOS is relatively BO free (but by no means completely free)

Agree 100% on that one mate... but only in the predominantly Thai areas... go to a falung tourist bar and it's a totally different situation. :D

Re-reading this thread and some of the classic replies, to echo bkkmadness, "This forums really going down the drain".

:D:D:D

Thais always go on about how we dirty farangs only shower 2X a day.... However, when I am out it seems that the vast majority of thai men pee or crap then walk straight out of the toilet without washing their hands.  :D

This behaviour seems to happen at all locations equally, be it at the office, upscale or cheap charlie bars/restaurants/hotels. I am not saying that we farang guys always wash our hands after pointing percy, but the majority of my mates would do after having a sh*t I think, even if out on the p*ss. Wonder what the spotlessly clean Thai ladies would think about this?  :o

Funny too, I've seen Thai guys wash their hands and then do their business!

Maybe it is a cultural thing, or are they just too lazy?

FYI, these observations come after 6 years working in LOS and I don't loiter in public toilets!

Check the stats on other races ( westerners don't come out well )

Right...ever had to take a leak in an Indonesian urnial?

Thailand is clean compared to some other Asian cultures by far.

Right...ever had to take a leak in an Indonesian urnial?

Thailand is clean compared to some other Asian cultures by far.

Try an Afghani toilet ! :o

They use squat toilets here as well (off camp), and seem to have an aversion to water period. Many people just go on the side of the road or in the ditches (which is why they wear the baggy pants and the shirts with the long front and rear flaps, so when they squat to do their thing, the shirt flaps keeps everything out of sight).

As a Thai fellow (although I don't speak for all of us)....  I shower twice a day and bathed professionally around 2-3 times a week.  I've also been told on numberous occasions both here and abroad that my excrement smells sweet as well. 

Compared to most places, I'd say the LOS is relatively BO free (but by no means completely free). 

:o

Nothing is free in Thailand

Who on earth use soap bars in this century? Only seriously backward and oldfashioned people. Everyone else uses liquid soap. Sheesh :D

What????

Excuse me, I am neither seriously backward or old fashioned, okay maybe a little old fashioned, but you're talking rubbish.

I've tried liquid soap but you can't beat a bar of Imperial Leather.

I dodge liquid soap. :o

Eww!  :D  I'm never dating a Thai guy again..

Also never eat the peanuts in a bar - think about it guy goes for a slash no hand wash comes back and fingers the peanuts - leaves- peanuts go back in the jar - served to the next customer - in you go have a few peanuts.

Eww! I'm never eating peanuts again... :D

Think of this next time that you have a rice meal.

Where does the farmer go for a pee or a crap when he's in the middle of his field?

Ewww!! :D:D

Excuse me, I am neither seriously backward or old fashioned, okay maybe a little old fashioned, but you're talking rubbish.

I've tried liquid soap but you can't beat a bar of Imperial Leather.

I dodge liquid soap.  :o

My point was that statistics are made to be abused.
maybe all Thai male public toilets should put up a sign on the wall behind the urinal urging people to wash their hands before they leave. that way both Thais and foreigners will wash their hands.

And you think that's going to help?

Think of this next time that you have a rice meal.

Where does the farmer go for a pee or a crap when he's in the middle of his field?

Ewww!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

That goes for everything grown, what do you think they use for fertilizer?

My mom always ask for central serving spoons when dining out, and some Thais wuold find that a hassle, while others would understand it, same goes with the Chinese la, regardless of class na, it's more a personal culture with some influence from the larger culture. Chinese people I know seem to find  central serving spoons obtrusive. 

It's always middle spoons (or chopsticks) at dinner at our house. We cane the servants out back if they forget. Cleanliness is next to.... something like that.

Eww!  :D  I'm never dating a Thai guy again..

Also never eat the peanuts in a bar - think about it guy goes for a slash no hand wash comes back and fingers the peanuts - leaves- peanuts go back in the jar - served to the next customer - in you go have a few peanuts.

Eww! I'm never eating peanuts again... :D

so you have eaten the peanuts before - i have not eaten nuts for years

As a Thai fellow (although I don't speak for all of us)....  I shower twice a day and bathed professionally around 2-3 times a week.  

C'mon Heng... tell us where those professional bathing spots are... :o

I can't let you know where I bathe personally, because the service too special to become public information.... but I CAN recommend the Patou Salon at the Suthisan-Ratchadaphisek intersection for scrub downs for men, women, and couples. The first time is a real eye opener for how much dead skin and dirt you have been carrying around on your body, especially you 'langs. :D

And no funny business going on there, doc, sorry.

:D

My mom always ask for central serving spoons when dining out, and some Thais wuold find that a hassle, while others would understand it, same goes with the Chinese la, regardless of class na, it's more a personal culture with some influence from the larger culture. Chinese people I know seem to find  central serving spoons obtrusive. 

It's always middle spoons (or chopsticks) at dinner at our house. We cane the servants out back if they forget. Cleanliness is next to.... something like that.

:D

Same thing with my auntie.. without central serving spoons she could hardly eat. As for my mom, she asks for serving spoons when eating with anybody outside the immediate family. She doesn't mind when it's just me or my dad or brother though (go figure :o).

Who on earth use soap bars in this century? Only seriously backward and oldfashioned people. Everyone else uses liquid soap. Sheesh :o

Then I must be backward & old fashioned!

Liquid soaps are expensive & don't last as long - I love the squeaky clean feeling I get from bar soap.

I feel the same way you do about soap.

However I have not used bar soap in a public facility since I discovered a small black hair stuck to the soap that obviously did not come from the head region of a previous user.