Kickstand Or Centerstand?

JusMe

I know that just popping into the 7-11 one uses the kickstand, and going away for a week or more, it's probably best to use the centre stand.

But what about times in between? Which is preferable to use?

On a similar note, maybe it's just me as a weakling fat old fart, but is there some "trick" to lifting it onto the centre stand other than pure pulling muscle? I do manage it, but often it seems I'm almost lifting the entire back end of the bike.

^ Might help if you told us what kind of bike you're talking about...

I've never owned a bike with a center stand so I've always used bike stands which are very easy- simple leverage, no lifting involved. I believe center stands are supposed to work the same way, leverage, not lifting.

Happy Trails!

It depends on the exact type of centre stand, but with a lot of them you simply stand on the part of the stand that protrudes out from the side of the bike (the bit that you use to push the stand down with your foot). This is usually shaped in such a way that when you shift your bodyweight onto it the bike is levered up onto the stand.

It depends on the exact type of centre stand, but with a lot of them you simply stand on the part of the stand that protrudes out from the side of the bike (the bit that you use to push the stand down with your foot). This is usually shaped in such a way that when you shift your bodyweight onto it the bike is levered up onto the stand.

Pretty much it! I have a technique where I pull the bike backwards about a foot to get a little momentum up then stand on the lever and vola, tis done!

Then we would have a competition to see who could run and jump on their bike, start it, and beat everyone else to get away! What the he11, we where teenagers in the country and had nothing better to do on Sunday mornings! :)

Pull up and slightly back. For larger bikes like F650's and Africa Twins it's a bit more strenuous but what it does it gets the rear tire off the ground and also puts the front vertical instead on resting on the left edge. Better for long storage as the rubber will tend to harden where it rests on the pavement all the time.

Getting it up on the centerstand is all about leverage. As mentioned in this thread, you need to step on the centerstand's arm on the left side of the bike and grab the read lifting point (if your bike doesn't have that then grab the frame under the pillon seat). Now stand on the center stand's arm while pulling back with your right hand. Your left hand should be on the left handlebar grip to guide the bike. The bike should simply pop up onto the stand.

Edited by Zzinged

Nouvo Elegance 135 cc has both a kickstand and a centre stand

You need the centre stand if the battery is flat to kickstart it as it is an automatic and may run away.

My Honda Phantom has only a kickstand and is a bitch if the battery is flat as it has NO kickstart.

You need the centre stand if the battery is flat to kickstart it as it is an automatic and may run away.

My Honda Phantom has only a kickstand and is a bitch if the battery is flat as it has NO kickstart.

Wait a minute, don't you have to have the brake lever pulled in to enable starting on an Auto - or is that just if you are using electric start - and if the latter is the case, then isn't that a bit daft? Should be same-same, isn;t it....?

I think ZZinged have the most comprehensive answer to the technique required.

Wait a minute, don't you have to have the brake lever pulled in to enable starting on an Auto - or is that just if you are using electric start - and if the latter is the case, then isn't that a bit daft? Should be same-same, isn't it....?

I think ZZinged have the most comprehensive answer to the technique required.

I have just been outside to look at my wife's Mio and the kickstart is above the centre stand so you have to go onto the centre stand in order to access the kick start lever. As far as I remember you also have to pull the brake lever in but the last time I did it was a couple of years ago..

I know that just popping into the 7-11 one uses the kickstand, and going away for a week or more, it's probably best to use the centre stand.

But what about times in between? Which is preferable to use?

On a similar note, maybe it's just me as a weakling fat old fart, but is there some "trick" to lifting it onto the centre stand other than pure pulling muscle? I do manage it, but often it seems I'm almost lifting the entire back end of the bike.

Both are preferable for short and long term I'd say.

It all depends on what bike you have.

Center stand is best but a bstard to get on, especially with the 200 kilo plus machines.

I think the 'knack' is to be standing alongside rather than straddling it then attempt to heave on the stand :)

I recently fitted a centre stand on my Kawasaki Boss only so I could service it. So much easier to clean the bike too. A bike should be easy to put on the cetre stand even if it weighs 500lbs + Normal use I use the kick stand.

My wife's Fino wouldn't start this morning so I tried it and it wouldn't go for me either. :D

I put it on the centre stand but it wouldn't kick start either. :D

I was going to throw it on the pickup but we couldn't manage that between us either.

Tomorrow I will borrw a couple of guys and get it to the Yamaha place in the village and get him to fix it.

It is lucky I don't smoke or I may have set fire to the dam_n thing.

:)