Thaksin Beats Abhisit In Popularity Survey

steven2

Thaksin beats Abhisit in popularity survey

Fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra beat Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva in an opinion survey.

The survey by Assumption University's Abac Poll found that 25 per cent of the respondents said they preferred Thaksin over Abhisit while 21.6 per cent said they preferred Abhsit.

However, more than half of the respondents - 53.4 per cent - refused to express support for either politician.

The Nation nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation .

Edited by steven2

The alternate headline could read; 53.4 % of respondents to recent poll were more informed the the others who responded.

More informed? More brainwashed likely. No one can ignore the fact the Thaksin is still very popular. Frankly I'm surprised that that rag the 'Nation' actually published these figures!

The alternate headline could read; 53.4 % of respondents to recent poll were more informed the the others who responded.

More informed? More brainwashed likely. No one can ignore the fact the Thaksin is still very popular. Frankly I'm surprised that that rag the 'Nation' actually published these figures!

In scientific research surveys of public opinion people who have strong views tend to express them. If Thais surveyed have done this, Thaksin is sunk. Abhisit got what might have been expected.

That more than half the sample yawned at the question is very bad news for Thaksin. A quarter of the sample spoke up for Thaksin, which is a far cry from his supposed previous mandates forumists here like to claim.

Thaksin is a divisive vehicle for those who think he is the vox populi. He's lost whatever usefulness he might ever have had to Thailand. Thaksin's now an isolated figure who has distinctly small minority support, even in a parliamentary system.

In scientific research surveys of public opinion people who have strong views tend to express them. If Thais surveyed have done this, Thaksin is sunk. Abhisit got what might have been expected.

That more than half the sample yawned at the question is very bad news for Thaksin. A quarter of the sample spoke up for Thaksin, which is a far cry from his supposed previous mandates forumists here like to claim.

Thaksin is a divisive vehicle for those who think he is the vox populi. He's lost whatever usefulness he might ever have had to Thailand. Thaksin's now an isolated figure who has distinctly small minority support, even in a parliamentary system.

The Thaksin haters here sure knows how to spin everything around to support their beliefs

I agree this is FANTASTIC news for Abhisit. The vast majority do not support the Thaksin revolution. For a fugitive exile to stage a successful comeback that is not going to be a disaster and lead to more of the same divisiveness, they would need a much higher figure, over 50 percent. Between Abhisit and Thaksin, it is basically a tie, statistically. Abhisit is the one in power now dealing with citizen unhappiness over the bad economy. Considering all that and the weak showing for Thaksin, yet another nail in the coffin for the Thaksin comeback dream/nightmare.

The Thaksin haters here sure knows how to spin everything around to support their beliefs

hey, i would be half the fun here without them and their antics.

Peron when he returned to Argentina, do you reckon he had ONLY 25 percent popularity there? 25 percent for a man who envisions himself as the one man who can save this country, I am sorry, that doesn't even begin to cut it. So he has a minority of core true believers. I can't see why it would grow from that at this stage. Thaksin had his day. Had. Past tense. At this point, his continuing agitation is doing the opposite of saving this country, it is preventing it from moving forward.

Edited by Jingthing

Peron when he returned to Argentina, do you reckon he had ONLY 25 percent popularity there? 25 percent for a man who envisions himself as the one man who can save this country, I am sorry, that doesn't even begin to cut it. So he has a minority of core true believers. I can't see why it would grow from that at this stage. Thaksin had his day. Had. Past tense. At this point, his continuing agitation is doing the opposite of saving this country, it is preventing it from moving forward.

so which silly dummkopf did compare Thaksin to Peron in the first place if it doesn't make any sense in the end?

so which silly dummkopf did compare Thaksin to Peron in the first place if it doesn't make any sense in the end?

I don't know which "dummkopf" you speak of but the backers of Thaksin wish he will make a grand triumphant return and Peron is an example of a populist leader who did make such a successful return from exile. We of course don't yet know whether Thaksin will return to power, or not.

Edited by Jingthing

In scientific research surveys of public opinion people who have strong views tend to express them.

Could you reference this? Doesn't make sense to me, at least an overarching truth.

However, in this case, the nearly 50% that expressed an opinion probably were the die-hards on either side.

Thaksin supporters in this current climate are demonised, (eg local media and boards such as TV) so it is little wonder some choose to keep their opinion to themselves.

So, of the 54% who failed to express an opinion, I guess a very big percentage of those are silent Thaksin voters.

A very good but unsuprising result for Thaksin.

I don't know which "dummkopf" you speak of but the backers of Thaksin wish he will make a grand triumphant return and Peron is an example of a populist leader who did make such a successful return from exile. We of course don't yet know whether Thaksin will return to power, or not.

that was more a rhetorical question. i didn't had any certain dummkopf in mind. just a silly logic.

either you accept and acknowledge that Thaksin has a great popularity, than the Peron comparison/speculation would make sense or you call him a thing of the past, over, forgotten, but than it makes only little sense to compare him to Peron.

anyway, that forgotten old man man of the past, he still run better as the Etonian future boy and the handshaker of obama. isn't that amazing?

ps. typed Peron in the forum search engine, to find out who made some silly Peron argumentation. came across this entry here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thaksin-Like...t&p=2717230

including a photo that you described as "this picture with Evita and Che is interesting, now that Thaksin is palling around with Daniel Ortega and playing with the fire of violent revolutionary tactics."

in case you don't know: Che Guevara and the Perons probably never met in reality, that is just a story line in a musical. hope you now the difference and check your sources next time. and Ortega was part of a group that kicked out a nasty dictator and had than to face some ugly CIA contra action, violent tactics of US foreign policy.

Thaksin supporters in this current climate are demonised, (eg local media and boards such as TV) so it is little wonder some choose to keep their opinion to themselves.

So, of the 54% who failed to express an opinion, I guess a very big percentage of those are silent Thaksin voters.

A very good but unsuprising result for Thaksin.

not sure if they are too shy - silent Thaksin voters. probably not that very big percentage of them. but the media stance and overall political climate made them maybe too shy or afraid to admit that they would vote for Thaksin. and don't forget, the reds are also not a 100% Thaksin movement.

but i think it is save to say that those 54% refused to show any support for Abhisit and more likely are oppose Abhisit. there isn't that big social pressure that makes you feel bad if you would admit to like Abhisit.

there is no surprise that Thaksin didn't get that super overwhelming feedback. in consideration of the circumstances 25% are remarkable.

the more interesting outcome of that survey is the pretty low popularity of the current PM. only a small public support and who knows how much of them are just anti-Thaksin protest voters.

Thaksin beats Abhisit in popularity survey

Fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra beat Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva in an opinion survey.

The survey by Assumption University's Abac Poll found that 25 per cent of the respondents said they preferred Thaksin over Abhisit while 21.6 per cent said they preferred Abhsit.

However, more than half of the respondents - 53.4 per cent - refused to express support for either politician.

The Nation nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation .

It doesn't surprise me that Thaksin still has a lot of support. He was around at a time when the world economy was booming and he could use the people's own money to bribe them. All the world leaders were popular at that time... even George Bush.

Now that the world economy is still in the tank it takes an EXTREMELY good leader to gain any support at all.

It doesn't surprise me that Thaksin still has a lot of support. He was around at a time when the world economy was booming and he could use the people's own money to bribe them. All the world leaders were popular at that time... even George Bush.

Now that the world economy is still in the tank it takes an EXTREMELY good leader to gain any support at all.

Good point.

At the end of the day anyway, it's academic what people think of Thaksin. He could have 100% support of the people, he would still be a criminal who fled justice. Thankfully, until the day Thaksin's chums manage to change the law at least, fugitive criminals are not considered suitable candidates for leading the country.

It would be more interesting to see how Abhisit fairs against people who don't have a criminal record, and who actually have a chance of standing against him in the future.

Some pretty pathetic grasping of straws here. Clearly from the poll both Thaksin and Abhisit have popularity issues. However, Abhisit is PM and Thaksin is a criminal fugitive. Because of that, he would need a lot more popularity than 25 percent to credibly stage a populist revolution changing the laws to bring him back. He may find a way to grab back power, but if he does, this divisive mess will not be solved, it will only be made much worse. This was a private poll, I don't buy for a second people were "afraid" to mention either Thaksin or Abhisit.

As far as bringing up Thaksin's pal Ortega, the poster was true he toppled a bad man. And then he became a very corrupt leader himself, such is life and politics. Thaksin has met with the current day Ortega, so again, nice try, no cigar.

Edited by Jingthing

One of my buddies who is a whiz at politics says that Thaksin is coming back - that he would win a fair election.

I just hope he can ignore all the farangs who were so vocal about their feeling about him. :)

The political experts I know say he would most likely not win, given the current parliamentary structure.

But you never know. Democracy has endorsed plenty of tyrants and misfits.

I agree this is FANTASTIC news for Abhisit. The vast majority do not support the Thaksin revolution.

"The vast majority..." Thus pontificates a tunnel-visioned observer who, apparently, only rubs shoulders with Bangkok's elite. He believes if he says it often enough, it'll convince the TV readers by sheer force of his quantity of posts.... :)

One of my buddies who is a whiz at politics says that Thaksin is coming back - that he would win a fair election.

I just hope he can ignore all the farangs who were so vocal about their feeling about him. :)

ask your buddy why Thaksin never won a fair election before?

Why should he win one now??

I just hope he can ignore all the farangs who were so vocal about their feeling about him. :D

The feelings of a well known Northern based book store owner about Thaksin are well known and have been documented accordingly. :)

A bit off topic but a lot of the Thaksin supporters I know liked his time at the top but have mixed feelings about his return. They would like to see more of the same from the past but they are worried that a Thaksin return may not be very stabilising. This opinion seems stronger among his rural supporters I know than among the middle class ones.

A bit off topic but a lot of the Thaksin supporters I know liked his time at the top but have mixed feelings about his return. They would like to see more of the same from the past but they are worried that a Thaksin return may not be very stabilising. This opinion seems stronger among his rural supporters I know than among the middle class ones.

nahh, it is not off topic. thanks for sharing your deep insight knowledge about the thoughts of rural Thaksin supporters and the ones form the middle class. always good to have somebody with real information from the basis, the grass roots, contacs with real people instead of some anecdotical BS others fabricate.

no doubt people have mixed feelings about his return, even those that can be classified as 'supporters' or the red shirts. and having that in mind isn't that pretty low outcome of Abhisit in this survey much more significant as what could said about Thaksin?

I agree this is FANTASTIC news for Abhisit. The vast majority do not support the Thaksin revolution.

"The vast majority..." Thus pontificates a tunnel-visioned observer who, apparently, only rubs shoulders with Bangkok's elite. He believes if he says it often enough, it'll convince the TV readers by sheer force of his quantity of posts.... :)

That was an unfounded personal attack, mate. I ask you now: what about 75 percent of the respondents NOT supporting Thaksin don't you understand? 75 percent is a vast majority by anyone's standards.

That was an unfounded personal attack, mate. I ask you now: what about 75 percent of the respondents NOT supporting Thaksin don't you understand? 75 percent is a vast majority by anyone's standards.

Awesome.

Thaksin haters are awesome.

Abhisit fans are awesome.

Awesome.

Thaksin haters are awesome.

Abhisit fans are awesome.

Why do you even bother posting something like that? I asked a question. 75 percent NOT supporting Thaksin. Do you seriously think that shows strength for his grand quest to return in popular triumph?