Identity Theft

Identity theft is reported as becoming more prevalent. How bad is it in Thailand?

It seems to affect customers in English speaking countries the worst.

This includes abuse of credit cards and skimming on ATM machines.

Also lax security of merchants and card processing companies.

And of course lax security by individuals with their financial information,

CCs, and PIN numbers.

Any reliable studies and accurate statistics?

Has anyone suffered from this so called "identity theft" which is of course fraud.

Identity theft is reported as becoming more prevalent. How bad is it in Thailand?

It seems to affect customers in English speaking countries the worst.

This includes abuse of credit cards and skimming on ATM machines.

Also lax security of merchants and card processing companies.

And of course lax security by individuals with their financial information,

CCs, and PIN numbers.

Any reliable studies and accurate statistics?

Has anyone suffered from this so called "identity theft" which is of course fraud.

"Seems to be more prevalent in English speaking countries"

Since when is Thailand an English Speaking country? Mind you we said country and not Pattaya.

There are 65,000,000 people in Thailand

Less than 10% of the entire population is fluent in English

Of that 10% how may have the technical capability to commit identify fraud as you mentioned? Credit Cards and ATM's?

My guess would be not very many. Lets say a high number would be 1% of the english speaking people. That is 1% of the 10% of English speaking people have the technical capability.

10% of 65,000,0000 is 6,5000,000 and 1% of that is 65,000

So do the math.

.001 % chance

You have more chance at:

Getting slapped in the face by a bar girl

Getting in a motorcycle accident

Overpaying for products and services

Slipping on the uneven payment and falling on your ass

Getting struck by lighting

Edited by Nio

Have used credit cards all my adult life (since 21 years old), therefore about 40 years, and no problems with identity theft. Used credit cards ONCE in Thailand (1 year ago), and WHAM: a $4000 charge shows up on my statement, with the charge made in Paris, France! Go figure. The general consensus here is that there are very active theft rings who work closely with merchants to transfer card details to the culprits when cards are used in Thailand. Back to cash.

I have lived in Thailand and used credit cards for 13 years and never had any problems or know anyone who has been scammed. My first use of credit card in Japan was in bar and the card was copied. Following week I had a call from my bank asking if I was buying 1000$ of hi-fi in Tokyo, lucky to stop transaction. More rip offs in more tech developed countries than Thailand.

I think the credit card fraud here is rife IF we are talking about foreign credit cards, especially used in tourist districts. Local credit/debit cards don't seem to get this treatment, possibly because their owners are known to remain in the districts where such matters will be legally pursued....

I don't know who I am anymore.

Seriously, used a credit card for the past 15 years in Thailand. Never any problem. I personally do not know anyone who has suffered from identity theft. However, I have been warned to avoid places that do not have automated credit card payment facilities, i.e. those that still use that mechanical slider thingy to get an imprint of your card on a receipt.

ATM skimming/copying etc., however, is on the up and up. Again so far I have been lucky, touch wood.

I'm trying not to piss myself over Nio's logic regarding who commits identity theft.

Well done Nio, you get the 'Self Delusion Of the Week' award.

-----

Earlier this year friends of mine in Sriracha had their house broken into while they were out shopping - a professional job, complete with hydraulic tools to bust open the safe.

Everything of value in the house was ignored except the safe contents which where then used to empty my friend's bank accounts and a lot more financial damage too.

You are kidding yourself if you think ID Theft is not a serious problem in Thailand.

----

Naam, I take it your neighbor with the huge assets is not Thai!

i suffer whenever the neighbour's daughter flaunts her huge bare knockers at the swimming pool... my identity is gone :)

Photo proof required pls? and please define "huge" 1 handful 2 handfulls.................a bucket???

Edited by yabaaaa

It may not be regarded as very serious in Thailand by some but it is in Australia.

Read this link and then compare your own security. It is a goverment website.

http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/index....g/identitytheft

I had a CC compromised and the bank replaced it. Last used? At a Bank in Thailand where they photocopied

both sides of the card at the FX counter. They were the suspects.

Edited by david96

i suffer whenever the neighbour's daughter flaunts her huge bare knockers at the swimming pool... my identity is gone :)

Photo proof required pls? and please define "huge" 1 handful 2 handfulls.................a bucket???

-proof violates forum rules.

-huge = size of BIG water melons.

Every day people are lamenting their girlfriends, maids, drivers and the sisters, cousins and boyfriends thereof, who emptied a bank account when the primary owner went abroad and left the card (and obviously the PIN) around at home/in the safe/in the drawer. Get real.

Well we have to accept that the vast majority of the money, property, vehicles, and expensive goodies removed from Farangs in Thailand is handed over volentarily - eyes wide open so to speak.

Perhaps not so much ID Theft as ID Confusion.

Ken turns up at Swampy with his flat screen TV tucked under his arm and the residue of his recent divorce stuffed in his back pocket - only to morph as he crosses the imigration line into the saviour or any poor Nong, Lek, or Nid he happens to bump into.

Candy from a baby.

Everything of value in the house was ignored except the safe contents which where then used to empty my friend's bank accounts and a lot more financial damage too.

You said he was just out shopping, so presumably he noticed his safe was knocked over the same day. Why didn't' he close all those accounts that were compromised.....? (Or was he too late and/or his plastic was issued by Thai banks?)

I'd rather know what *is* compromised than not knowing what is surreptitiously being compromised -- by an employee copying my card particulars.

Either way, I'll get it all back, as all the cards I use are issued on US banks. (Some horror stories on trying to get Thai banks to give back your money after fraud.)

Skimming refers to the activity of copying a card, or skimming its data from the magnetic stripe, by either inserting some reader equipment into the card insert slot on an ATM or in a shop using a hand held reader to quickly swipe a card when making a regular transaction. Skimming at an ATM is dangerous if they also get your PIN number - this can be done by installing a camera at the ATM and capturing an image of the PIN being entered or "shoulder surfing" where they just hang around and try to look over your shoulder. A skimmed card, together with PIN number, can be used to make another ATM card which is then technically idenitical to your original card. The fraudulent card can make transactions the same as your original card including with a PIN - thereby leaving no read evidence that it was not the cardholder themselves who was doing it . One of the solutions is a chip on the card which makes the card almost impossible to duplicate, but depending on the security policy of the bank, some transactions may still be accepted (such as online purchases).

In Thailand most banks have installed anti-skimming devices on the ATM's - the green plastic thing on the place where you insert your card. This helps but is not failsafe. Change your PIN often, never give your card to anyone, use your hand or your body to shield your PIN input so noone sees it - these are some basic things that can help. Most credit cards here are chip, Bangkok Bank has recently issued a chip debit/ATM card.

Have used credit cards all my adult life (since 21 years old), therefore about 40 years, and no problems with identity theft. Used credit cards ONCE in Thailand (1 year ago), and WHAM: a $4000 charge shows up on my statement, with the charge made in Paris, France! Go figure. The general consensus here is that there are very active theft rings who work closely with merchants to transfer card details to the culprits when cards are used in Thailand. Back to cash.

Likewise I have used credit cards all over the world without any problems, However I bought an airline ticket with Bangkok Airways using their online booking facility. Within a few days my Australian bank contacted me urgently by email to ask if I was *still* in the UK (I was in BKK) and asked me to ring them immediately. I hadn't been in the UK for 4 years. A fake card in my name was being used in the UK and thousands of pounds had been charged to it in shops from London to Aberdeen. I was required to send a letter(email) challenging the purchases. Within 10 days my bank had reimbursed my account for the full amount, some 8,000 pounds.

Australian banks will not send replacement credit cards to Thailand by post, too risky they say!

• 3 weeks later...

Australian banks will not send replacement credit cards to Thailand by post, too risky they say!

NAB sends my replacement/new cards by mail.

Very responsive..

- got a call from CC security dept said that my card had been used in Malaysia for beauty treatment.etc I had used the card in Langkawi for the purchase of duty free booze etc..they had obviously "swiped" it.. I'd let it out of my sight! Got a new card by express mail in one week.

- after fraudulent transaction by a travel agent ( had used a credit card with him for an air ticket months before) near a Phuket marina ... spotted it when checking my account in his internet cafe..summoned him to the screen and showed him..his wife went ape shit ..hussled me off to the nearest ATM and withdrew the offending amount plus some ...begging me not to take action..didn't get police involved as suspected nothing would come of it but told NAB and got a new card again in one week....softy me hugh.. It was some relative at the airport that had done the deed or so the wife said...TIT

- en route to Malaysia found my ATM card rejected..phoned NAB CC dept and found they had stopped it based on the fact the last mailed statement had been returned as undeliverable ( moved marinas and the old one sent my mail back). Was re-instated within 12 hours.

Conclusion: we are our own worst enemies as far as fraud is concerned..vigilance is paramount!