Bangkok Dining Deals

jfchandler

When I ate there the music was too loud to for my taste to sit downstairs. Thankfuly the speakers upstairs were not functioning. I feel sorry for the folks that live across the street and next door. The food was good enough for me to go back, but I want to be able to have a conversation when I'm dining with friends. I have this problem at a lot of places, so I guess its what most people want.

Edited by ricklev

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Los Cabos review

I concur with your review jfchandler. Robb did come by and mention they specifically hadn't advertised yet because they're using this soft open to train up the staff. He said they're just about at the point where they can handle XX# of people, so it sounded like he expected to be ready to roll in a few weeks. As such, I kinda figured the staff is still learning and I didn't feel fair rating them during this time, but I definitely did agree with your assessment of the food. Some of it's on the cusp of being really good and some of it is good already - definitely you can see the expense that's gone into the ingredients and the care in preparation and presentation, so the rest is just a matter of taste. It definitely has a more Cal-Mex feel (as opposed to Tex-Mex), which I'm sure is the intent given it has Cabo in the name, but that probably accounts for the milder flavors and the increased amount of seafood and fish mixed into the key plates. I'm heading back a few times to try a few more things before I make an assessment.

Edited by on-on

yeah Robb did say that the "official" Grand Opening is set for 15 Jan. Had I had the same issue with the music I would have asked the owner if he thought it a bit too loud. I'm sure that problem would have been rectified quickly. Don't sit & suffer. Complain nicely. If that doesn't work get up & leave. Life is short.

just wondering - does the Nation still do that book of discount vouchers for restaurants around town? what was it called - entertainment guide or something like that?

used to be quite cheap, gives you discounts at a number of places around and outside of bangkok, hotels, restuarants, golf clubs etc etc

anyone seen them lately? if yes how much do they cost? i would google it, but cant remember what they called it! (quite certain it was by Nation group though.....)

Miggy, I've never myself come across that booklet that you mention...although I'd certainly like to know about it if it still exists...

But it occurs to me... now with ThaiVisa's marketing-content partnership with The Nation, presumably there's someone in the ThaiVisa organization who would know whom to ask in the marketing department of The Nation???

admittedly, it has been about 5 years or so since I last bought that book

tried to google last night, nothing came up, so perhaps they stopped doing it. shame. perhaps a business opportunity for someone there?

:) JFchandler - you seem like the perfect candidate to start that business. Ill buy a copy of the book......

similar to these: http://www.entertainment.com/discount/local_editions.shtml (US)

http://www.entertainmentbook.com.au/entert...ertainment_book (Australia)

and at one point there was Thailand! (not sure if was from the same company as the above 2 though.....)

La Monita Taqueria, alongside Mahatun Plaza, next to Ploenchit BTS Station

Seeing as Christmas is rapidly approaching, let me offer a very special Christmas present to everyone reading "Bangkok Dining Deals."

If you really love Mexican food, especially the authentic Cal-Mex style served out of trucks and stands around the Mexican neighborhoods of California, then you're going to LOVE what is my estimation is absolutely the best Mexican food being served up in Bangkok right now -- located at the new La Monita Taqueria restaurant near Ploenchit BTS.

post-53787-1261397074_thumb.jpg

La Monita is just a small, clean and newly appointed indoors shop along the short soi that runs along the left-hand side of Mahatun Plaza (just a short block in from the steps of Ploenchit BTS), and there's not much in the way of atmosphere, other than wood tables, air conditioning and a stereo system playing music. But the fresh-cooked Mexican food, offered at quite reasonable prices, is simply outstanding for Bangkok -- fresh, quality ingredients, generous portions, great tastes and all the right choices available for those who like the food fixed their special way.

post-53787-1261397168_thumb.jpg

As a brand-new restaurant run by a husband and wife team, the place is still evolving, as is the menu. They are open daily (except Sundays) for lunch and dinner, with regular hours from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. for food and drinks, and later for drinks if they have customers. Right now, they're taking cash only and aren't delivering. But acceptance of credit cards and some hookup with one of BKK's home food delivery services are in the offing. They also do serve alcoholic beverages, meaning a good selection of margaritas and some beers (including Corona and Heineken) are available.

You can track them and see more via their Twitter page located here. They also have their own web page, which right now only has a replica of their current menu with photos of each dish, located here.

On two successive visits, I sampled their burritos, tacos and homemade guacamole, judging each to be terrific. The regular burritos in a 10 inch flour tortilla are particularly special, literally overflowing with plenty of chunks of your choice of meat, refried or whole cooked beans, rice, guacamole, cillantro and salsa. Their regular sized burritos go for 220 baht with grilled steak (carne asada) or shrimp filling, or 200 baht for the other choices, which include carnitas, al pastor, chicken or pork in green or red sauce, or even a vegetarian version for 190 baht.

post-53787-1261397214_thumb.jpg

Chicken Chili Verde Burrito, 200 baht

But I also sampled one of their special "super" burritos that fill a 12 inch tortilla on a day when homemade Mexican style chorizo was on the menu, and the burrito was huge and superb for 290 baht. Going to the super size burrito--which someone suggested is almost the size of two pint beer glasses laid end-to-end--adds 70 baht for the steak burrito, and 50 baht for the other varieties.

post-53787-1261397269_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1261397278_thumb.jpg

Daily Special Chorizo Super Burrito, 290 baht

The regular menu at La Monita consists of various varieties of burritos, tacos, quesadillas, nachos, tortas and even a breakfasty kind of meat and fried egg over rice bowl called Arroz a la Cubana. But one of the things I really like about this restaurant is they always seem to be supplementing their menu with daily specials, such as the chorizo on the day of my recent visit, or red snapper for my second visit today.... Can you say... "fish tacos"???? :) The owner reports a selection of empanadas and enchillada plates are coming soon, and recent daily specials have included Mexican fish soup (sopa de pescado) and prawn and crab tacos.

One menu item I saved for its own paragraph, because it deserves it, is La Monita's carne asada fries, a kind of nachos toppings over french fries dish that comes in a "small" version for 190 baht or a large version for 250 baht. Maybe it's a peculiarly California thing a la Tommy's Burgers and their famous chili fries, but I love this dish consisting of a generous bowl of meaty french fries topped with cubes of steak, salsa, melted cheese and guacamole. I tried my first "small" variety with the steak, and it was good, but then tried the second with carnitas and it was great. And the "small" variety is almost a meal all by itself.

post-53787-1261397436_thumb.jpg

Another nice thing about La Monita is their willingness to accommodate the customer. Want something fixed as a special, they'll try to order it in for you. Want a chorizo burrito when they have chorizo, even though it's not on the menu, and they'll do it. Want carnitas topping on your carne asada fries instead of steak, and they'll do it. Want them to throw in some sliced jalapeno peppers on top of your food, no problem. Ask about their choice of salsas, and the owner brings out four or five homemade varieties in squeeze bottles.

post-53787-1261397478_thumb.jpg

I'll be heading out of town in a few days for one of my semi-annual trips back to California for Christmas... But thanks to La Monita, I'm already back in Los Angeles right now. My body's sitting here in Bangkok, same as always... But my happy stomach seriously thinks it's back in Los Angeles... And that's a pretty good deal, and a whole lot less expensive than the airfare. If you really love Mexican food, you can't help but love La Monita Taqueria.

post-53787-1261397531_thumb.jpg

Taco Al Pastor, 70 baht or 3 for 190 baht

post-53787-1261397546_thumb.jpg

Fish Taco, 80 baht or 3 for 220 baht

post-53787-1261397556_thumb.jpg

Steak Taco, 80 baht or 3 for 220 baht

I definitely need to get a better mobile camera...for low light environments... Sorry Sabaijai...

The ones I had were soft corn, I believe. But, for both of their styles of tacos on the menu, it indicates you have your choice of corn or flour tortillas....

Here's the screen shot off La Monita's actual menu...

post-53787-1261468834_thumb.jpg

I definitely need to get a better mobile camera...for low light environments... Sorry Sabaijai...

The ones I had were soft corn, I believe. But, for both of their styles of tacos on the menu, it indicates you have your choice of corn or flour tortillas....

Here's the screen shot off La Monita's actual menu...

post-53787-1261468834_thumb.jpg

Yea John, ask your gal for a circa 2005+ mobile mate. Your photos look like those faded things I used to see at the drive in movie theater when I was a kid mate. :)

Donations of suitable mobile phone cameras (with flash) gratefully accepted!!! :)

Actually, mine is a newer Nokia E-series phone that takes great pictures and videos in daylight. But move indoors, particularly in low lighting, and everything turns grainy green...

I've actually been thinking about trying to remedy the situation thru some kind of Christmas present to myself.

It's better to be able to use a suitable camera within a phone, as opposed to a separate camera. It both avoids the need to carry two devices and is less obtrusive, since some restaurants, I've found, are picky about people taking photos....

But I suppose a very compact digital with flash would be OK too. But whichever approach, needs to have a good macro function for closeups... That's part of the problem too...trying to take closeups that are too close...

Donations of suitable mobile phone cameras (with flash) gratefully accepted!!! :)

Actually, mine is a newer Nokia E-series phone that takes great pictures and videos in daylight. But move indoors, particularly in low lighting, and everything turns grainy green...

I've actually been thinking about trying to remedy the situation thru some kind of Christmas present to myself.

It's better to be able to use a suitable camera within a phone, as opposed to a separate camera. It both avoids the need to carry two devices and is less obtrusive, since some restaurants, I've found, are picky about people taking photos....

But I suppose a very compact digital with flash would be OK too. But whichever approach, needs to have a good macro function for closeups... That's part of the problem too...trying to take closeups that are too close...

John, I picked up a Samsung NV 100 a few months back. Schneider lens, 14.2 megapixel, very good macro function, 11k. Great camera.

I really appreciate this thread. It alone would justify visiting TV. Thank you to those of you that take the time to post all the useful information. Only problem is, every time I visit the thread I go away hungry!! :)

Yea, personally I think Sir George should be paying JFC a retainer as resident food critic :D

Since I just got thru reviewing La Monita Taqueria here... fyi, I should mention that they just sent out a Facebook message today indicating they will be closed Dec. 31, 2009 through Jan. 3, 2010, and then open again on Jan. 4, 2010.

Happy Holidays to All from Mr. Bangkok Dining Deals!!! :)

Nice idea, James.... But really, my true reward and aspiration here is just to enjoy your witty repartee.... :)
Yea, personally I think Sir George should be paying JFC a retainer as resident food critic :D

To be honest John, I don't give two hoots. I just said that because the calendar said I should get in the spirit of giving. Hate calendars. :D

I knew that James... of course... Merry Christmas... nonetheless....

Nice idea, James.... But really, my true reward and aspiration here is just to enjoy your witty repartee.... :)

To be honest John, I don't give two hoots. I just said that because the calendar said I should get in the spirit of giving. Hate calendars. :D

I knew that James... of course... Merry Christmas... nonetheless....

bah humbug - pass me the turkey :D

Odds and Ends re Christmas....

The Big Mango Bar off of Suk Soi 4 will be serving Christmas Dinner on Dec. 25 from 1 p.m. onward. Their Christmas plate will consist of:

Turkey, Ham, Baby Carrots, Brussel Sprouts, Cranberry, Roast Potatoes, Mash, Stuffing, Gravy and Apple Pie. Price: 420 baht

And then for the more extravagant minded....

Festive Season Celebration at Koi Restaurant

Sukhumvit 20, 02 258-1590

Get into the Spirit of Christmas with Traditional Stuffed Turkey and Cookies at Koi & Bridge Restaurants. Set Menus start from 999++, served in addition to a la carte.

Enjoy the Final Countdown and cheer the New Year 2010 with complimentary glass of champagne and exclusive entertainment all night. Set menus start from 1,499++, served in addition to a la carte.

Early-bird 10% discount for booking before Dec. 28 for New Year's Eve.

Edited by jfchandler

I am already booked for dinner at the Sportsman for Xmas day but Ive got a real craving for Turkey etc so I was wondering if there are any places that serve it on the 24th? I'm pretty sure someone mentioned to me the other night that some places do buffets starting from the 24th...

DJBKK, there certainly will be a number of different places offering turkey for the Christmas holidays....

One for sure, listed in this post earlier on this page, is the Bourbon Street restaurant in Washington Square near Suk Soi 22.

That offering seems a bit pricy for my tastes, but nonetheless usually is quite busy/crowded... Also note, to their credit, Bourbon Street's offering is BOTH the evening of the 24th and from noon onward on the 25th. So they've got you covered in terms of Christmas Eve.

I had a great Thanksgiving turkey buffet at Bullys Pub on Sukhumvit near Soi 4... But I had to skip out of town this week before having to check whether they're offering something similar for Christmas.... If they are, it likely would be priced around 600 baht.... Bullys never seems to post these things on their web site, so the only way to know is to call or pop by...

Edited by jfchandler

THought about going to the Landmark Buffet for Christmas dinner, but I wasn't that hungry after a pretty robust work-out session at the gym, and at 2500 +++, I didn't feel like paying some 5,600 or so for two.  However, they had a bring four people, pay for two deal going on.  At 1250+++ apiece, that would have been a much better deal. The host thought they would be having the same deal for New Years Day.

Yes, and for parties of 2 or 3, they also have ongoing a series of discount rates up to 50% based on the credit card you use. I posted about those earlier in this thread in relation to their Thanksgiving Dinner. I believe, from my recollection, it was up to 50% off in you're using an American Express card or a few others, and various lesser discounts for other cards. Call the Atrium and check for their latest on this, if anyone's interested for New Year's....